Another VMR Thread with a Big Twist...C'mon in... - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Wheels/Tires

Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
tripower
Twin Goats...40 yrs apart!!

2005 GTO Owner

Another VMR Thread with a Big Twist...C'mon in...

...A different VMR rim than the "usual suspects" mounted on a GTO...The V803.

So after years of looking at the many hundreds of wheel threads on this site and the need to finally replace my OEM Bridgestones, I decided to take the leap to the "dark side" and go aftermarket wheels.

My requirements were that I wanted to go big but do no modifications to the outer fender lips or any major massaging of the inner fenders. As those who have "gone big" know, that's a pretty tough order to fill.

So I read the many threads on fitments/offsets and all the disclaimers on cradle alignment and car-to-car production variances and such and came up with what others have stated (members purplenurple and OldSchoolGP among others) as the ideal offset for a 9.5" rear rim to fit 275/30s with minimum to no rubbing. The "magic" range was stated as between +54 to +56 I believe.

Fast forward to the "search for the Holy Grail" that many of us have embarked on to find wheels that we personally like in those ideal offsets. The choices are few and far between in non-custom wheels that won't send you to the poor house.

So digging around I found that VMR had a couple of models of wheels that fit the bill for the deeper rear offsets - The V810 and the V803. Initially I was attracted to the V810 which looks similar to the V710 and I was able to find one GTO that ran these (member x1s1x300). VMR also made the V810 in an 8.5 ET45 for the front so I figured this may be the route to go. I never found any pics of a GTO running V803s.

I contacted Brandon over at VMR to check availability on the V810s as I scoured the interwebz and no one had the 19x9.5 ET58s. He checked and they were out of the +58 with no ETA for another shipment. That was back about 15 months ago!

Brandon and I communicated periodically over those months to see if there were any updates on the V810 +58 but there were no production dates. Brandon suggested I take a look at the V803 that came in 19x9.5 ET57 and that was available. I looked at several pictures of V803s on BMWs and Audis and they looked pretty good and grew on me. The only issue was only front fitment available for the GTO was 19x8.5 ET35 and I felt an ET45 would be better. I would reach out to Brandon from time to time to see if the were any updates on the V810 9.5 +58s or a new V803 8.5 in +45 and my persistence finally paid off as he said VMR developed the 8.5 ET45 and had them in stock.

Brandon and I went back and forth on a few questions and I finally pulled the trigger on the V803s. Brandon was great to work with and set me up with V803s and Michelin PSS tires mounted/balanced and ready to go. Double thumbs up to Brandon at VMR for great customer service.

Enough of the novel and on to the good stuff:

V803 19 x 8.5 ET45 with Michelin PSS 235/35-19s
V803 19 x 9.5 ET57 (with 3 mm spacer ET54) with Michelin PSS 275/30-19s

I purchased some Motorsport-Tech 3 mm spacers for the rears in case I needed them - That would get the magical +54 offset. I ended up needing them.

Mounted the V803s and took her for a spin and there was some decent inner fender rubbing on the right rear on hard right turns. Left rear there was some contact with the plastic liner towards the rear. I threw the spacers on today and took the Goat for a spin and only heard a light rub maybe twice from the right rear. I checked the outer fender lips and all looked good. I racked up 10+ miles testing so I'm confident it will be fine. Worst case I will get the BFH out and "massage" where I saw the contact on the right rear.

Noticed the ride is better with 19" PSS than the OEM 18" Bridgestones which is a plus.

Now on to the pics. This may be the only GTO running V803s as I've not come across any others to date. Enjoy!

1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (Tripower!), M4, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - CGM, M6 - 19" VMR V803s; Chrome lug nuts; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Spoiler; JBA shorties; Tuned by Advanced Dyno; GMM Street
2009 G8 GT - Maverick Silver, A6 - Red/Onyx interior - Chrome lugs, VG sharkfin

GTO: "A device for shrinking Time and Distance..."

Last edited by tripower; 01-09-2017 at 09:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 03:41 AM   #2
Blue Dream
Still stock and proud of it..

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Mothertrucker those rims look great on your car. Major win!!! I've always been a big fan of the Hypersilver/stock paint on rims, seems to be the right blend of shiny yet restrained paint to really bring out the small details on wheels. Can't stand black wheels that hide the beauty of the design but I digress. Along with the rear spoiler and color, your car just oozes class with the new rims and is by far one of my favorite cars on the forum. Congrats on making being different cool again.

1 of 101 SRM, 6mt, 17" wheels, black interior 06 GTO's
Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 AM   #3
Ls7GTO
LS9 FTW

Other Holden/HSV

Your new VMR's look great! Not a lot of people that can do the Cyclone Gray Metallic color justice with mods!

Car looks minty fresh and looks like a late build 05 also (based on what I see on the front struts)!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #4
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Those look outstanding. One hell of a clean looking CGM as well.

A slight drop, in my opinion, would do wonders as well. Stock suspension still?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:58 AM   #5
Nogomofo
Hot Rod A.D.D!

2005 GTO Owner

Great looking car! Nice to see someone do some research and call a vendor to get what their after !
1972 Scout II 345ci727
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1966MGBRoadster1.8L4spd[/COL]
2005 GTO 6.0L M6 11.39@122 N/A 364ci ls2

Last edited by Nogomofo; 01-09-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I'm sure they don't make those in an 18 or 17 inch...

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
fittrjoe

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Tri power ... Very Nice !!
I too have a CGM with VMRs & PSS . Only mine are 18s. Best Tires i have ever had
I am gonna lower the ass end 20mm soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6595.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	446833  

Last edited by fittrjoe; 01-09-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: more..
Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
tmiller
Registered Winner

2004 GTO Owner

Looks great. Needs slightly more lows.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
JSRacing

2005 GTO Owner

Agree with everyone else, looks perfect. All that time researching paid off.
Kooks catless mids
Bassani catback
SLP 25% UDP
CSP ported intake
CSP ported TB
CSP tuned
Hinson Engine/Trans Mount, Shifter
VRM V710 Black
Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
tripower

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dream...View Post
Mothertrucker those rims look great on your car. Major win!!! I've always been a big fan of the Hypersilver/stock paint on rims, seems to be the right blend of shiny yet restrained paint to really bring out the small details on wheels. Can't stand black wheels that hide the beauty of the design but I digress. Along with the rear spoiler and color, your car just oozes class with the new rims and is by far one of my favorite cars on the forum. Congrats on making being different cool again.

Much appreciated...I have always been attracted to the more conservative and subtle mods. Like you, I am not a fan of black wheels. I did toy with the idea of going either gunmetal or titan bronze but conservative won in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls7GTO...View Post
Your new VMR's look great! Not a lot of people that can do the Cyclone Gray Metallic color justice with mods!

Car looks minty fresh and looks like a late build 05 also (based on what I see on the front struts)!

Thanks...How did you guess the late build by the front struts? It was a June 05 build. Have any lottery numbers you want to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Those look outstanding. One hell of a clean looking CGM as well.

A slight drop, in my opinion, would do wonders as well. Stock suspension still?

Thank you...Yep, stock saggy suspension. Based on the wear on the inner tread of the prior rears due to sagging springs/negative camber, suspension may be next as I don't want to eat these tires up. More research on deck for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogomofo...View Post
Great looking car! Nice to see someone do some research and call a vendor to get what their after !

Thank you...The forum is a great tool to search since the GTO has been out 10+ years - odds are any info you want is likely here. Again, VMR and Brandon were great to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
I'm sure they don't make those in an 18 or 17 inch...

19s only currently...Not sure if they have plans for 18s. You may want to inquire with VMR. My inquiring paid off in the end for me so it may pay off for you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittrjoe...View Post
Tri power ... Very Nice !!
I too have a CGM with VMRs & PSS . Only mine are 18s. Best Tires i have ever had. I am gonna lower the ass end 20mm soon

Thanks...I've seen pics of your car before and she's very clean. I've had two sets of PSS on my G8 DD and they are awesome tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller...View Post
Looks great. Needs slightly more lows.

Thank you...A drop may be in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSRacing...View Post
Agree with everyone else, looks perfect. All that time researching paid off.

Thanks!

Last edited by tripower; 01-09-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower...View Post
19s only currently...Not sure if they have plans for 18s. You may want to inquire with VMR. My inquiring paid off in the end for me so it may pay off for you too.

I'm not THAT interested. VMR's look good, but i'll probably just get another set of RT-S wheels.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
tripower

2005 GTO Owner

Here are a couple more pictures:

Last edited by tripower; 01-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 AM   #13
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Love that last pic. So clean.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
BAAD LS2
450+rwhp club :D

2005 GTO Owner

looks pretty good, but would be even better if they had more concave.

2010 JSB ZR1 #958
2007 TBSS
2005 MBM SAP M6-SOLD
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #15
tripower

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAD LS2...View Post
looks pretty good, but would be even better if they had more concave.

Thanks. I think the high offset took some of the concavity away on the rears. Would have been nice but not a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
lapointe

2005 GTO Owner

She looks great man! Good choice on rims too, they definitely stand out on your car!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #17
LongRifles
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Those are the first set of A. Market wheels I've ever seen on this car that I actually like.

Great, now you effed me all up. Was set to widen the stockers and have them polished.

Very, very nice piece. Well done.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #18
imfastrnu2

2005 GTO Owner

Man, looks great! I too have been in touch with Brandon about a similiar setup; can't wait! Quick question....what spoiler do you have on your car? I like the low, sleek look of it.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfastrnu2...View Post
Man, looks great! I too have been in touch with Brandon about a similiar setup; can't wait! Quick question....what spoiler do you have on your car? I like the low, sleek look of it.

It's listed in his signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: