LS1GTO Forums banner

Plastidip Crash Course

8K views 79 replies 41 participants last post by  mistermike 
#1 ·
So once upon a time I saw a few cars on the Lingenfelter website with flat black paint jobs, and I decided I wanted to try out the look before getting my own permanent one for a few thousand $'s...

I used 14 plastidip flat black cans, 4 coats, and about 5 hours of work.

Question: I'm looking for radar-absorbing flat black military grade paint, and the more I look, the harder it is to find. Anyone know of a good place to find such a product?

See less See more
#37 · (Edited)
You can't go outside of the cookie cutter trend on LS1GTO. All the smart asses will come in with negative comments. Don't do what you want, do what they want!!!

This happens on every car forum, over the years the price drops, and people that bought said car new get pissed that people are now getting them cheap and modding them outside of the forum trends. If you don't like it, keep buying new cars.

#39 ·
I don't know what else you expect when you ask for someones opinion on something the majority of the world thinks looks like garbage. Everyone complains how everyone here is a dick, but you come here with retarded questions that have

A. Been answered 25 times
B. Ask an opinion on something that even yourself knows looks horrible
C. Fuel the fire with more general garbage.

Any forum for a limited edition vehicle will come to this state when everyone that paid $20,000 + for the car as a TOY, get confronted with fellas that paid $6-$10000 for a car as a DD. Then take said DD and treat it further like a cheap car, by doing above actions, Painting the horrible decal on the hood of god knows what?

It's like when you're 18 and you get a tatoo of that retarded favorite movie of yours on your left breast. Now you're 35 and you look at the same tatoo, and pretend you still like it but you watch the movie and you get upset with how much garbage it is.

Everyone here is that 35 guy looking at the 18 yr old version of themself when they first got a fast car, and get upset with you for trying to further retard the community.

It's hard for these guys to calm down when they go to work and tell there co-workers they got a 30k mile GTO at home with 485/490 they have poured $30,000 into. Then the co-worker replies " oh my brothers son just got one of those for like $8,000, he lowered it, got some tribal decal on the hood, and is looking into a military grade paint for the entire car and possibly replacing the spoiler with something a bit more useful like a race wing.. It's cool you got one but I'd never want one. Yours must be one of the few that don't look full retard"

I'm not even an old guy yet and I want to sell it everytime someone reply's to me like that.

It's not a viper, aston martin, etc. It is a limited edition vehicle that many of the owners take pride in being a part of that community though. No one wants to see there community destroyed by the new comers.

Not about not accepting change, it's about knowing that change isn't going to last after the guys own the car for more than a year.

#57 ·
Okay, then that was his first mistake. I've learned to never ask opinions on appearance mods.
If you post it, you'll get opinions anyway. It's the nature of a forum.

#38 ·
The military flat black paint you want is called CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating)

note, there is water based and oil based, the stuff is nasty to work with.

you cannot paint over it, hence the name.

Ryan

#54 ·
I'm selling the GTO and buying the first C6 zo6 I can get my hands on.
What happens when C6Zs start going for under $30k?

OP, I think you can get 90% of the looks you're going for at 10% of the cost if you step up to a real plastidip gun setup. I've been playing around with one and the difference between it and a can is like night and day. People hate on my wheels when they have to get down on their hands and knees to see that they are dipped (4 cans/$20) and not powdercoated ($200+).

#53 ·
LOL this thread was lost at "military grade paint"

#56 ·
Woah there cats lets step back a second...are you guys saying it is in fact possible to daily drive these cars? I never knew.

Carry on.

meow.

BTW I'm 84 years old. I bought mine new in late 03 for $54,000.

meow.

#63 ·
Been to a lot of car shows and looked at a lot of 'matte finish' paint jobs. The vast majority of them looked like hammered ass. It is such a hard finish to pull off - and harder still to take care of. Any and all blemishes will be blatantly obvious.

#65 ·
There's a HUGE difference applying plastidip from the can or from a gun. You are going to receive a lot of criticism due to the fact that you rushed a job to get a quick baseline result to give you an idea. If you're comfortable with that, there's no issue.

Although, matte black is definitely a very difficult color to pull off on our cars due to body line's and certain combinations. I chose to plastidip mine, because I had half of my car sanded down and didn't want to fork up 5k at the moment to re-paint the entire car. My car was prepped and worked on for close to 10 days to ensure that I could pull off the "wrap" look instead of the "plastidip" look. Some people hated it, but some people loved it. I had an idea and vision in mind and for the temporary look I wanted, I was able to pull it off. Take a look at my thread and look at a few of the close up photos. You can see from using a gun that there are ZERO streaks on the entire car.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453447&highlight=

#72 ·
THIS.

while im not sold on the whole matte black car thing, it definitely looks better when its done properly.

Jay's car looks really well done. you cant even tell its plastidip, looks like paint or a wrap.

one fo the biggest keys to pulling off the matte finish look is you HAVE to have good looking wheels on it. without those it looks like a cheap primer job.

#67 ·

#70 ·
Makes me want to try every color of plastidip so I can have a rainbow car...

meow.

#75 ·
It's not a bad idea for weekend racers, especially those drift kids, that tear up their car bodies pretty good. There are constant repairs with the body work and plastidip could make the car respectable going in each week.

I'm not too familiar with the stuff but does it peel off the car real easy? Say if someone could tell your car was plastidipped (and didn't like you,) could they easily just rip it all off in a parking lot or something?

How well does the stuff handle high speeds? Does it start to bubble over time? Lifespan?

#77 ·
It's not going to just flake or peel off. If I wanted to spend 5 minutes per wheel, I could have my wheels looking the exact same as they did before I dipped them. I've gone deep double digits with the wheels dipped and they look just like they did when I dipped them almost a year ago (plus brake dust doesn't show up), no peeling or flaking. A friend of mine had a Canadian EF Si coupe that he wanted to protect while he was trying to get it into sellable condition so we made him a plastidip bra, it was loltastic and held up just fine to the car's speed limit. I think people tend to underestimate how strong the stuff is, it stays on unless you want it to come off or scratch it on a curb or something.

#76 ·
Forgot to mention. If you're going to go with a flat/matte/satin color, I've seen the Satin Orange in person and that color is pretty sexy. I'd prefer that over the black.

Jay's car looks pretty good with the flat black, but I still think his IBM is better. I'm bias to blue though ;)

#78 ·
I like the satin black look but I can tell you from experience that it is a pain in the a$$ to take care of. If your going to DD the car I wouldn't recommend it. I took pristine care of my 08 SE ZX1400 and it seemed like every time I came home from a ride there was a new scratch on the bike and the only way to fix it was to repaint the panel. There is no way to buff or rub out any blemishes without making the panel look off from the rest of the car.

#80 ·
Crash course?

Patiently waiting for the crash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.