LS1GTO Forums banner

Feb 9-10th Sonoma Track Day

4K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  City Goat 
#1 · (Edited)
A group of us will be attending the Feb 9-10th (Saturday/Sunday) NASA Track Day at Sonoma Raceway (Sears Point). Some will be attending both days, others will only be attending only one. Information about track days and how to register are posted in the Track Day thread.

It would also be fun to have a group of people hanging-out at the track (since there's no football to watch). For anyone who might have a desire to participate in a Track Day this would be a great event to attend. Even if you're not driving it's a great environment filled with lots of cars to admire... you might even be able to get a ride-along (so bring your helmets)!

For those interested in driving please post here as well as the Track Day thread. For those interested in spectating please post here.

-Todd...

Drivers:
TCorzett (Saturday & Sunday)
City Goat (Saturday & Sunday)
Flink (Saturday & Sunday)
GTO Fan (Saturday & Sunday)
VELOC8Y (Saturday)
mr_ro_co (Saturday)
g8Morris (Saturday & Sunday)

Weekend Info:
(LINK)
There is a $10/person admission fee for the weekend.
Schedule & Paddock Map (Print this and bring it with you)
Paddock Rules

*BREAKING NEWS* it looks like HPDE will be able to Self-Tech their cars (See article).

See less See more
#3 ·
I will be there on Sunday. Gotta get my experience in now so I can have the crown of fastest Road Course G8!!! :)

#7 ·
I will confirm I am in for the 10th as soon as I pay for the registration.

#8 ·
Shaping up to be a great weekend.

Todd - Flink and GTOFAN will be coming as well.

-Ryan

#12 ·
Shaping up to be a great weekend.
Sure is!

what's that? I don't have any safety equipment.
HPDE = High Performance Drivers Education (aka. a "Track Day")

This event is on the world-famous Sonoma Raceway... think of it like running on a drag strip but with more turns! The only safety equipment necessary is a helmet (someone in the club might be able to lend one). It does require a bit more car preparation than being at a drag strip (with a much more formal tech inspection). More information about the driving is available in the Track Day thread. If you have any interest this would be a great time to do it.

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to get some exterior shots of you guys.
That's great too. I think everyone in the club would have fun hanging-out and looking at cars, etc.

I expect I'll get there around midday Friday to do a couple of test sessions in the afternoon. Unless it's wet, in which case I'll get there Friday evening. I camp at the track in my little mohome, which is a source or warmth in the cold, cold in the warmth and yummy burgers for lunch!
Very nice! I'll be staying in Novato Friday/Saturday nights (I :wub: free hotels). Planed on driving up Friday evening (after traffic), but might drive up early if the weather is good and people are on-track.

-Todd...

#10 ·
I expect I'll get there around midday Friday to do a couple of test sessions in the afternoon. Unless it's wet, in which case I'll get there Friday evening. I camp at the track in my little mohome, which is a source or warmth in the cold, cold in the warmth and yummy burgers for lunch!

The paddock map won't be published until the week prior, but I expect we'll be pitted way up the back at the bottom of the back access road. That's a decent spot to gather, as it is "undesignated" parking area and tends to be sparsely populated. I'll post details a few days before the event.

#11 ·
I can attest to yummy burgers and the cool off zone of Andrew's shaggin' wagon

#13 ·
Another option for those not wanting to do a full HPDE driving day is the $99 Hyperdrive on Saturday (9th). This includes some classroom discussion, a 45min "25mph" session with an instructor at lunch, and a full 20min session "at speed" with an instructor in the afternoon. For $99 this is a great way to decide if a HPDE event is right for you... it's also a great way to learn the track (and Sonoma is a tricky one) as 45min with an instructor is an awesome opportunity. A helmet is required, but no NASA membership or tech inspection is required.

-Todd...

PS - I might even sign-up for the hyperdrive just to get the 45min with an instructor to focus on learning the proper driving line.

#17 ·
Im in for both days if I can find a way to sign up. For some reason Im having issues with the registration. I try to make an account it says I already have one. I request the user name and password sent to my e-mail and it says there is no record of my e-mail.

Once I figure out how to work a computer perhaps I will get a chance to lean to drive.

#21 ·
Really hope I can get this oil leak fixed before the event...

#22 ·
Think it might be timing cover gasket...

#23 ·
I'm out. I broke the bolt that holds one of my front sway bar brackets down. Sucker just popped right off pulling into my super steep driveway curb. I effectively have no front sway bar.

The bolt/stud is a part of the frame of the car so I have to have a stud fabbed up to a plate and have that welded to the frame of the car to regain my mounting point for the sway bar bracket and bushing. Car drives fine on the street and free way as I can firm up the adjustable koni shocks, but it won't work for high performance driving.

What a bummer...

#25 ·
I'm out too, looks like the timing cover needs to come off and not sure when I will be able to get that done. Will be out there sooner or later though...

#27 ·
Last Monday bump for this one!

It's still not too late to sign-up to drive at the event! The weekend schedule has been posted (details added to the first post).

For they guys who are interested in participating in a future track day, but for whatever reason can't this time, it would be a good idea to come-out to see what a track day is like. Knowing how things go will make your first driving day a little less hectic.

For those not wanting to drive on-track, this will be a fun event with lots of cars to check-out. Come by the track and enjoy some spectating!

-Todd...

*BREAKING NEWS* it looks like HPDE will be able to Self-Tech their cars (See article).

#28 ·
I just read the article... Self tech your car sounds dangerous...

#31 ·
See everyone Saturday!

(Andrew/Bill - I may need to steal your jack & jack stands early Saturday morning for a brake pad change :( sorry! Greg brought the tools, I brought his tires lol)

#33 ·
(Andrew/Bill - I may need to steal your jack & jack stands early Saturday morning for a brake pad change :( sorry! Greg brought the tools, I brought his tires lol)
Bill's not getting there till around 10. And I might still be snoring in the mohome if I decide to skip the warmup session ;) Just grab what you need from my trailer.

#32 ·
I'm glad this event is happening!

If I had 1) a car setup where I wasn't afraid of it exploding and 2) wasn't working in the evening that day, I'd be down to come by too.

Have fun guys!

#36 ·
haha, I dunno about you but it's always bitter-sweet right about this time.

-Fresh oil
-Fresh brakes
-Fresh fluids
-Fresh tires
-Suspension buttoned up

Car is in top-notch shape.............fully prepared to rape it for 2 straight days and spoil all that freshness lol

#37 ·
Have fun guys, im jealous. But I will be out there soon enough...

#41 ·
See everyone tomorrow.

Get a good night sleepies, for tomorrow we ride the lightning :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.