Has anyone had to actually replace the BCM? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
TeaQue
1 of 1,014

Has anyone had to actually replace the BCM?

I know about the issue with the harness rubbing against the support behind the glove box.

A few weeks ago my GTO started bugging out with all the faults (Traction control, service error, fuel gauge error, etc) so I pulled the glove box and sure enough, I could see a little wear on the harness. I couldn't actually see any bare wires but I taped it all up anyways as well as taped up the metal part it rubs against.

No issues for a week of daily driving. Then this week, I started getting a fuel gauge error and traction control was disabled again. However, if I start the car a second time, all faults go away except for the airbag light.

-Took a closer look at the harness again last night and I still don't see any bare wires.

-Checked all fuses and relays and they were fine.

-Cleaned terminals on battery but it should be fine as it's less than a year old.

Should I try replacing the BCM itself, next? Looks like I can get a used one on ebay for less than $50. I'm just not sure what to look at next.

Custom dual exit exhaust
DMH Low Pro cutouts
Svede OTRCAI
DBA Brakes/Hawk Pads
Predator Tune
Kircher Splitter
5000k HID lows/fogs
Monster Stage 1 Clutch/Lightweight flywheel
BC Coilovers
MGW Shifter
3.91's

330rwhp 348 rwtq
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
genoliver

2005 GTO Owner

Yes I had to replace the BCM, it was out of warranty, I had the issue of my lights would flash when I locked it and would stay on, I finally had to replace, I let the dealership do it after some dickering with them over the price of the BCMS, You will also have to replace the key fobs. I have heard of some people changing themselves and a procedure to take a used one and retrofit using a home made program device, I am sure it you search you can locate these on the blog.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
GTO44
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse

2006 GTO Owner

I had to replace mine. Car started acting funny. It would start up, run for 3-4 seconds and die, over and over until the car was warmed up. GM dealership ended up putting in a new BCM under the factory power train warranty.

Vararam only, stock tune
Monster Level 2, Tick MC, RS T.Mount, Revshit insert, Hinson M.Mounts
Lovell 340/370mm springs, Koni Sports shocks/struts
Lovell Bushings: Strut Mounts & Bearings, ajust. Radius rod, rear subframe, Diff insert, rear endlinks
Hotchkis Adjust. Sways, Nobush Endlinks
DBA T3 Clubspec slotted, hawk HP+, Russle SS, Motul 600
Rebuilt T56, blocker ring kit, Tick billet 3/4 keys & springs
Dragbags, Catchcan, PTI 1-piece Alum. DS

365/368 (std)
12.81@110.6 2.03 60'

Old 06-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
TeaQue
1 of 1,014

Damnit, I was hoping I could just order one off ebay and swap it in. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
TeaQue
1 of 1,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoliver...View Post
Yes I had to replace the BCM, it was out of warranty, I had the issue of my lights would flash when I locked it and would stay on, I finally had to replace, I let the dealership do it after some dickering with them over the price of the BCMS, You will also have to replace the key fobs. I have heard of some people changing themselves and a procedure to take a used one and retrofit using a home made program device, I am sure it you search you can locate these on the blog.

I realized you haggled on the price but do you mind sharing how much it cost for the new BCM and key fobs? Just ballpark
Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Here is one option:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/p...ule+(bcm),2888

2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 HFP
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
Rich's 1965 Chevelle Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
Bob's 1964 GTO Project Page
Rich's Brazen Orange 2006 Pontiac GTO
Rich C.
"I would rather appreciate what I cannot have than have what I cannot appreciate."
Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Here is the thread on the BCM cloning tool-
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565017
Before you buy anything, I'd re-check the battery and all the main power and ground cables. Just because the battery is a year old doesn't mean it can't be bad, especially if the car sits around a lot. Low battery voltage can cause all kinds of electrical symptoms that make it look like something is broken, but it goes away once the battery is fully charged or replaced.
The connections to the battery terminals at the cable ends are known to fail, those may need to be cleaned up or replaced.
Replacing the BCM should be a last resort after everything else has been ruled out, I'm sure a lot of these have been replaced needlessly.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
Silvah Goat
600 RWHP CLUB

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower...View Post
Here is one option:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/p...ule+(bcm),2888

I can't believe they are still available. I ordered 4 of the parking brake boots for the rear backing plates, one showed up, haven't been able to locate any more of them since.
17 Acadia Limited 3.6 - Dealer sticker delete mod
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder...View Post
Here is the thread on the BCM cloning tool-
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565017
Before you buy anything, I'd re-check the battery and all the main power and ground cables. Just because the battery is a year old doesn't mean it can't be bad, especially if the car sits around a lot. Low battery voltage can cause all kinds of electrical symptoms that make it look like something is broken, but it goes away once the battery is fully charged or replaced.
The connections to the battery terminals at the cable ends are known to fail, those may need to be cleaned up or replaced.
Replacing the BCM should be a last resort after everything else has been ruled out, I'm sure a lot of these have been replaced needlessly.

I had to replace my battery after two years because it was getting sulfated. Still started the car, but the reserve was getting comically low.

And +1 on the verify the BCM is actually the issue first.

( '_')o

(._. )

Quote:
The real enemy of truth is not ignorance, doubt, or even disbelief. It is false knowledge.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
TeaQue
1 of 1,014

Well I did disconnect/reconnect the battery terminals but I didn't tear them down for cleaning. They aren't that dirty because I cleaned them when I replaced the battery but its free so I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
Blue Dream
Still stock and proud of it..

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoliver...View Post

My 06's BCM took a dump almost 2 years ago when I was test driving it for the first time. 27K miles on her at the time so the PO had it replaced at the dealership, he included the defective one with the sale. Not sure how they did it but he kept both of the original fobs which I got when I bought the car. Didn't come with any new ones and both worked fine so

1 of 101 SRM, 6mt, 17" wheels, black interior 06 GTO's ever produced
Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44...View Post
I had to replace mine. Car started acting funny. It would start up, run for 3-4 seconds and die, over and over until the car was warmed up. GM dealership ended up putting in a new BCM under the factory power train warranty.

That doesn't sound fun, but frankly I would have rather had what you experienced. I bought my car used with 13k, and after just a few weeks it randomly go into Safety or 'Reduced Performance Mode', beep 3 times and shut off. There was nothing I could do - until I learned that if you just waited about 90 seconds, it would start back up and be fine for days. I happened once on I-35 in the rain, in traffic, and I was waiting to be slammed into as I clicked off seconds before I could start it back up.

Mine was also replaced under the 8yr/80k warranty shortly thereafter.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #13
TeaQue
1 of 1,014

I spent more time looking at this yesterday double checking plugs/harnesses, disassembled the battery terminals and cleaned them, checked fuses and relays again, and nothing would make the light turn off.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #14
lumpy46

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaQue...View Post
I spent more time looking at this yesterday double checking plugs/harnesses, disassembled the battery terminals and cleaned them, checked fuses and relays again, and nothing would make the light turn off.

you won't clear that without a Tech II.

Lots of suspension upgrades from Kollar Racing, DSS Carbon Driveshaft, Kooks 1 3/4 LT, ported TB and LS2 manifold, MGW-P, Corsa Sport, Aussie 3:90 from the banned one, new T56 Magnum from D&D and more as money permits...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: