LS1GTO Forums banner

high mileage gto with a supercharger

6K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  dsh 
#1 ·
I'm looking to hopefully buy a supercharger in the upcoming months but i'm afraid that my car has to many miles (93,000). The supercharger system i'm looking for is a tvs 1900 and i would only want like 450rwhp-500rwhp. Would this be safe on my stock bottom end and mileage where it is? I couldn't find a thread on this but if you know of one please list it.

#3 ·
The best thread to read is the Stock Bottom End thread which is below:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401429

I agree with the comments above that in reality it is a bit of a ticking time bomb but if setup safely it "could" last a long time.

Personally my car is on that list with the M122 blower going on at 59k miles and it's currently at 115k miles and still going strong on the stock LS1 bottom end. I've also ran some 10 second passes with the same combo so it can work but each car and engine is different so go into it knowing that it could all end badly just in case lol.

#16 ·
Good advice, my car was a Daily for about 5 years. My current DD is a less reliable 20 year old Jaguar XJ..

#6 · (Edited)
I don't think it's much of a ticking time bomb at all if you keep it at 500/500 or less. I've seen high mileage motors go way higher and last for years. Swap your valve springs and get the blower

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
As much as a 2004 GTO

#9 ·
Tolerances tend to loosen with higher cycles. So now you have an engine that's not as tight as it once was. Then you add more pressure to the whole system. Sometimes this can cause issues with rod bolts stretching, or in severe cases bearing failure. Also, it could be a manufacturing defect in a part that at the current engine stresses it's not a problem. As soon as you increase the stress in the rotating assembly, you might find a weak point.

It's always a gamble.

I think it's largely dependent on how the engine spent its life previous to forced induction. Good preventative maintenance, and lack of abuse are paramount. Mine had oil changes every 3-4k miles from 18,000 miles on. Always warmed up before being beat on.

#10 ·
I'm the third owner of the car unfortunately but something that gives me hope is when I bought it there was not a single mod on the car besides a borla catback. So this guy either sold all of his parts and did everything or it has never been modded.

#11 ·
Soup up your only car?

Brilliant.

#14 ·
+11ty

If its your daily driver, dont do it.

Instead, budget $2000 for a DD beater.

#18 · (Edited)
EDIT..seen it

OP,
Been there and done that...many times. What I can say is that if you have money aside for the "worst case scenario" smurf it. If this is not you,then I would stick to just N/A mods and be happy with the car until you can make plans for a bigger project.

#20 ·
11K miles in three years with no problems other than needing tires more often. Taking mine off to install the UPP kit shortly.

#22 ·
Yeah, as long as you're not "on it" every time you drive to/from work you'll be fine. HotRod did a write up on installing a Chinese (eBay) turbo on a junk yard 5.3 with like 150k on it and they said that with the wear of the mileage that it made a good candidate for boost since the cylinders have worn out some to make room for the expanding charge. These aren't engines of the 70's, they're built much more precise which in turn last much longer. We just have the stigma that 100k is death for an engine.

#26 ·
It is critical that you make sure it is functioning and running right before you slap the blower on.

Do a compression check on each cylinder
inspect the entire engine area for leaks
check for any blow-by comming out of the oil cap
inspect the motor mounts by eye and by reving
inspect the TB, make sure it is working correctly
Get it up on the lift and inspect and feel the driveline

Anything else anyone wants to add ^

I don't Think 93k is to much for a blower as long as everything it in tip top shape and you don't go out everyday rapping it out to 6-7k.

#30 ·
You guys are giving bad info... I've got a supercharged car with 229k miles. And 180K of those are supercharged. Motor ran great when I decided to go with a stroker. It's all about how you take car of your car. Anyone has a chance of blowing a 200 mile car as they do with a 200k mile car. Supporting mods, TUNE, and Maintenance all play a factor.

#33 ·
It all depends on how hard the first 100,000 miles were. Some cars with >100,000 miles are in better shape than cars driven hard and abused with 30,000 miles. I would put my money on the well maintained high mileage car over the abused low mileage car any day...supercharger or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.