LS1GTO Forums banner

Cylinder head opinions needed

2K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  mike27408 
#1 · (Edited)
Was debating between doing a stroker shortblock or heads at income tax because I won't be able to afford both at once so I've pretty much decided to go with heads first.Then I can do a 418 instead of a 402 later.
I want to keep my FAST so LS3 heads are not an option for me.Also planning a Procharger F1-C after the stroker.

Wondering which would be best,TFS 235 or Mast 245?

Opinions?

#3 ·
I have AFR 230s and I absolutely love them. I heard they are good for higher displacement also.

Either way, it seems to me that with whatever heads you choose the cam choice is going to be critical to ensure you have great performance for the next 12 months until you can stroke it (and swap cams). I'd talk to Ed.

#4 · (Edited)
If you're planning a procharger, save your money towards that. Heads + a blower is way overkill for the street.

Do the short block if you are dead set on boost later. Shit, those heads you are mentioning are more than half the cost of a shortblock right there. Do the 402, bolt your stock heads on for now, put a blower cam in for now, and bolt a procharger on next year.

Do heads later when you get bored of 600 rwhp lol.

#8 ·
Nothing is overkill in Hawaii. We've got 1,000awhp GTR's and 600-800rwhp Vettes running around here, hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
I agree with the previous post for doing the block if you plan to boost, OP. it's better to build up to handle it now, that way later on you can just slap it on, tune it and "go baby go".

#13 ·
Not that I'm trying to sway your opinion, OP... But again, doing the block first could set you up for success I'm the long run. Figure it this way... You forge your bottom end and build up the engine to handle the high horsepower and boost you'll be putting I through later on, and she'll be virtually bulletproof for the time being. So there's my second $.02. Anyways, I'll be watching for your ultimate decision, OP.

#14 ·
From what I've seen, MAST heads are one of the best. If you plan on more cubes you will want a bigger head, so go for the MAST 245's.

But like posted, aftermarket heads are probably half the cost of a short block, thats what makes the Ls3 swap attractive. For less than the price of one aftermarket head you can get both heads that flow like aftermarket heads, bigger injectors, and an intake that is on par with the FAST right from GM. Selling the 243's and FAST, you might be able to pick up the Ls3 head swap with no out of pocket cash. Now all your money saved up for heads can be put toward the 418 instead.

#16 · (Edited)
From what I've seen which I'll admit isn't much, the shop I deal with hasn't had good results when adding LS3 heads to vehicles they've done.When I add heads to my current setup I want to see good results and not be disappointed since I gotta wait another year for the shortblock.

Edit:The results I'm referring to was on stock cubes.

#18 ·
Youre talking about using the same head for stock cubes now, then a stroker, and then a stoker with a blower. The same head will not be optimal for all three situations. Just keep saving and do the damn short block first.

#20 ·
Mast heads are supposedly really awesome but bang for the $$$ TFS or AFR...they will both perform great...you can use roller tipped or stock rockers but TFS does advise roller rockers pretty emphatically...they will be within a few hp/tq of each other usually

#21 ·
Im still running 243's but plan on a straight-up head swap this summer

#24 ·
yeah...AFR 230 or larger and use trunion upgraded stockers will probably be very cost effective and will do just fine NA or ProCharged...If i was him i wouldnt even waste the $$ on a blower beacuse hes looking at more $$ for a lonnies fuel sytem to feed a cammed/heads/blown stroker....my current hp/tq is too much for the street as is...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.