Mobil 1 vs Quaker State - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
carnivore ls2
TW15TA

2006 GTO Owner

Mobil 1 vs Quaker State

This morning I took my car to dealership to have all 4 wheel aligned.
I figured after 1,800 miles I was due for first oil change.
Dealer asked me what kind of synthetic oil wanted in there, and after he mentioned Mobil 1, I simply cut him off before he could mention anything else and said "only the best" thinking that they will only use Mobil 1 in our cars. After my car was done, on the way back home I'm looking at the service paper and I see that they put Quaker State full synthetic oil in there. I thought only Mobil 1 would be appropriate oil for our cars or is Quaker State really that better then Mobil 1 ?

Your thoughts ?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
el Hefe

2006 GTO Owner

mobil1 0w40 for me. or castrol german.

not that quaker state is bad or anything, because I have no idea.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
OhFoGTO
I prefer goat cheese

2004 GTO Owner

now that its "recommended by Ferrari for every oil change" I think that Q stuff will sell a lot better. Whether it actually is or not, i dont know.
2004 Phantom Black A4 GTO|K&N AirThing|NGK Explosion Inducers|Thundervolt 10.5 Explosion Inducer Cables|35% tint|WOODWARD HOOD|BMR stuff|Hotchkis Twistybars |Pedders Front and rear RR|LOVELLS Eliminator Package w/ 20mm drop|Pirelli's|Magnaflow Pipedreams|ported TB|Coated Catted Kooks 1 3/4s|Mobil 1 | Modern Muscle tuned 321hp/332tq
2001 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Ed.- bone stock
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Church
Desu?

2004 GTO Owner

If you google Mobile 1, it is no longer a Group II oil. It was broke down and it is somewhere around 70% Group III

Group II=Synthetic
Group III=Regular oil

I got M1 in the goat right now, but i signed up for the "first drivers club" from Car and Driver. They sent me $60 worth of Castrol Platinum. Gonna give it a try.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
TJay74

I dont think I would trust Google then, the bottle of Mobile 1 that were used in my GTO on the last two oil changes all say full synthetic on the bottle.

I am sure due to liability and or marketing that I doubt that Mobile is going to market the Mobile 1 as a full synthetic and put dino oil in the bottles.

My dealer puts Mobile 1 in my car because the owners manual calls for it and it was what the car was factory filled with and the oil cap says it as well. All of my oil changes are covered for life thru my dealer plus tire rotations and the motor has a lifetime warranty on failure. All for $400 for the service package I bought. It costs $50 per oil change for the filter and oil so I figure that 8 oil changes I have made my money back on what I spent on the oil change program.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #6
Wang
unbanned

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Mobil 1 FTW. It's the original synthetic oil by the people who invented it. It says you gotta use it on the filler cap.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
2K6 GTO
Good Thunder

2006 GTO Owner

Knowing nothing about Quaker State, I'd stick to the Mobil 1...
Old 08-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
dsclark

Unless something has changed since the last time I looked, the only off the shelf oils that meet GM spec for the Ls2 motor are Penzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 regular( no the extended performance version).
Pedder OE springs/Comfort Ride shocks,Lovells strut mounts, Pedder front LCA bush, Super Pro front & rear Radius bush, xmember insert, steering bushing, Hotchkiss sway bars, Bush less front sway bar links, Noltec rear differential bushing,rear LCA bushings, rear shock bushings, Pedder rear sway bar link bushings on bottom, Superpro bushings on top,GMM shifter, JBA shorties/catted mids/X pipe/Pypes bullits/Kooks afterburner mufflers, AD tuned,BFG A/S 245-40-18 tires, lots of sound deadener!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
GTO4now

2006 GTO Owner

I'm sure it'll be fine until your next change in 3000 miles, but you could call the service manager and ask him why they put in something other than what is recomended in the manual. They will probably offer to switch it for you if you want them to.

http://static.flickr.com/79/233077671_3d1b846c04_m.jpg

All stories by this author are fictional.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Clevejason

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to Clevejason
Amsoil FTW.

Amsoil Corporation was founded in 1973 and invented synthetic lubrication for automobiles. Imitators such as Mobil 1, followed. Simply put there are no finer lubricants available and lubricants are the life blood of your car. If performance, long life and more MPG, not to mention your gun rights, are important to you, then you owe it to yourself to check Amsoil out.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #11
el Hefe

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevejason...View Post
Amsoil FTW.

Amsoil Corporation was founded in 1973 and invented synthetic lubrication for automobiles. Imitators such as Mobil 1, followed. Simply put there are no finer lubricants available and lubricants are the life blood of your car. If performance, long life and more MPG, not to mention your gun rights, are important to you, then you owe it to yourself to check Amsoil out.

spoken like a true salesman.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
pawz
.. .. .. ..

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to pawz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church...View Post
If you google Mobile 1, it is no longer a Group II oil. It was broke down and it is somewhere around 70% Group III

Group II=Synthetic
Group III=Regular oil

I got M1 in the goat right now, but i signed up for the "first drivers club" from Car and Driver. They sent me $60 worth of Castrol Platinum. Gonna give it a try.

So many things wrong with this post.

You've got your Groups wrong. Big time. M1 used to be Group IV, but is now a Group III. One of the few Group IV still made is GC (German Castrol).

The C&D Promotion was for Pennzoil Platinum. There is no such product as Castrol Platinum.

--Sold--
----
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #13
cquist
I'd rather be scuba diving.

2004 GTO Owner

As often as people change their oil, I dont think it matters.
2004 GTO TR m6 2004 SAP,D-1SC Procharger,4.0 pulley,Siemens 60# injectors,Walbro 340,KB BAP,160 T-stat,oil breather,06 tails,Ruff 278's, 245/40/18-275/35/18,TB bypass,Kooks longtubes(cated),Loudmouth 2,DIY catchcan,Autolite 5144s,SP Performance rotors(drilled and slotted).Comp cam 224/228,581/588,112+4 lsa. Patriot gold dual springs, seats,locks,and retainers.TrickFlow push rods.243 Z06 heads.GMM Ripshift, Optima Red, Axxis pads.Ported TB,Proxses tune.634/546 L8R MAN
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
hardball75006

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to hardball75006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevejason...View Post
Amsoil FTW.

I wouldn't exactly call Mobil 1 an imitator. They were one of the first oil companies to mass market synthetic oil.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:06 AM   #15
Aggie*86

Only two GM "approved" oils. Mobile 1 and penzoil Platinum. Until the warrantee is gone I'm sticking with one of them.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #16
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

pawz is right.

Something to keep in mind is the word synthetic no longer has the same meaning. M1 changed and is now a G3.

Just like the Weight Rating has become a little vague with German Castrol being thicker then most.

The oil the dealer poured in is not going to hurt anything. Just don’t run it for 10K.

The best site in the world for this is here. http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Take a look at the Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline and Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs sections.

It gets pretty confusing at times and as with any internet site opinions are like A..holes, everyone has one.

In the used oil analysis your looking to see which oils shear properties are holding up and have the least amount of heavy metals.

The one thing I’ve learned lately is the M1 0w-40 shears pretty quick but then stabilizes.

Another good read, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1791708

Last edited by ddawson; 08-24-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
mixedxboy
young old man

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson...View Post
Another good read, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1791708

EDIT: removed original comment intended for comedic/shock value. this guy knows his stuff.

this guy comes off sounding a little arrogant, but this is probably one of the best oil summaries that i've read. i guess anybody this knowledgeable (not to mention a very successful doctor, and obviously a serious car guy) has earned the right to be. good read either way!

Last edited by mixedxboy; 08-24-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #18
Loan seller
6.1 > 6.0

2005 GTO Owner

well I think Castrol 10w-30 is great. can u tell the diff not sure, i will only use that brand and Amsoil has a great line of products and the servise is the best you can find hands down.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
pharmdgto

2005 GTO Owner

IMO all this oil talk is ridiculous. I have a novel idea. Use a high quality brand product (i.e. mobil, QS, etc) and CHANGE it OFTEN (every 2k miles) and use a good filter and you will be fine. Oh and check your levels too...some people forget to do that and spin a bearing and then its either the oil company's fault or GM's.

No offense but there are a bunch of threads pertaining to which oil to use. IMO what is more important is the frequency of change, filter used and oil weight. If you attend to these, I can't fathom you will ever have an oil breakdown problem no matter which synthetic brand you use.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #20
rmmshop
RMR Employee

2004 GTO Owner

Mobile 1 ftw
Old 08-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
pawz
.. .. .. ..

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdgto...View Post
IMO all this oil talk is ridiculous. I have a novel idea. Use a high quality brand product (i.e. mobil, QS, etc) and CHANGE it OFTEN (every 2k miles) and use a good filter and you will be fine. Oh and check your levels too...some people forget to do that and spin a bearing and then its either the oil company's fault or GM's.

No offense but there are a bunch of threads pertaining to which oil to use. IMO what is more important is the frequency of change, filter used and oil weight. If you attend to these, I can't fathom you will ever have an oil breakdown problem no matter which synthetic brand you use.

I agree with everything you said, except the 2k miles part. ANY full synthetic oil will be good on these cars up to 5k. Use a quality filter (IE not Fram) and check oil at every fuel up. When you get to extended OCIs is where quality of oil matters. I run GC up to 6k. I could go more, but I don't see a need to.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #22
mixedxboy
young old man

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

an excellent point. if you're using a quality synthetic oil--then it's a little bit like splitting hairs when debating which is best, they'll all do a great job at protecting your engine. however, on bitog it has been shown repeatedly that certain oils can result in significantly lower wear than others, and some oils can have longer change intervals than others.

there are a fair number of people here obsessed with optimizing the performance of the oil in their engines to extend drain intervals (and therefore save a little money), or simply for the peace of mind that comes with believing that they have the "best" oil in their engine. i see nothing wrong with some healthy discussion to that end.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #23
pharmdgto

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawz...View Post
I agree with everything you said, except the 2k miles part. ANY full synthetic oil will be good on these cars up to 5k. Use a quality filter (IE not Fram) and check oil at every fuel up. When you get to extended OCIs is where quality of oil matters. I run GC up to 6k. I could go more, but I don't see a need to.

No way I will run my heavily modded car past 2k-3k miles tops. I have NEVER heard of anyone breaking down or having problems because they changed their oil TOO often. If anything it is cheap insurance in the long run IMO.

I agree that the oils are made for extended mileage but maybe if mine was stock I would do that but with a large cam, heads and full bolts on's almost, I put faith in changing the oil often.

It must also be known that this isn't my DD and therefore it would take 3-4 months before hitting 2k miles as well or maybe longer.

Last edited by pharmdgto; 08-24-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #24
pawz
.. .. .. ..

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
No way I will run my heavily modded car past 2k-3k miles tops. I have NEVER heard of anyone breaking down or having problems because they changed their oil TOO often. If anything it is cheap insurance in the long run IMO.

I agree that the oils are made for extended mileage but maybe if mine was stock I would do that but with a large cam, heads and full bolts on's almost, I put faith in changing the oil often.

It must also be known that this isn't my DD and therefore it would take 3-4 months before hitting 2k miles as well or maybe longer.

Point taken. On an extremely modded car as yours, I would do 2k or 3k max oil changes as well. On a stock, or relatively stock engine, 5k is fine. On a rarely driven car, I would do changes by time vs miles. I would say at least once per year, preferably 2x a year.

edit: Just to add, anyone with a modded engine is going to be more meticulous with their maintenance, after all, they have a large investment in the engine they want to protect. They are also not going to be on car forums asking general questions about oil. For the average Joe, driving to work and back with a stock engine, a 2k change is overkill. I just wanted to make that point. There is certainly nothing wrong with changing the oil too early, and for some cars (yours in particular) it is mandatory.

Last edited by pawz; 08-24-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #25
Hawkeye
Ho's b4 Bro's

2005 GTO Owner

Amsoil seems to be on top of nearly every comparison tests, so I use the 0w30 now. Valvoline synthetic rates high too.

2005 GTO APS Black/blk A4---SOLD
10.89 @ 133 mph.

2009 Z06 11.8 @ 125 mph

Old 08-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
Kylan
Crack Open a Fresh Baileys

2005 GTO Owner

I still don't understand why you are comparing synthetic oil to oatmeal.
[55W 6000k HID Lows - 35W 6000k HID Fogs]
Old 08-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
eightysjay
Hates a dirty car

2006 GTO Owner

Royal purple is the only thing I use,5w30.That stuff is like gold.Amsoil is crap.

GMM Rip shifter
Taylor Red 10.4 race wire's
LPE cold air intake
LS7 clutch
(Nsofokles's)BMR STB
(City Goat's) Hotchkis sway bar's
1 3/4 Kooks headers
Harrop cover and RocksandRacing engine mounts
Katech belt tentioner
Full pedders suspension all installed by Black Devil
Member of the 170+MPH club
351rwhp 350rwtq Bone stock,Dynoed at Kaltech
Challenger SRT/8's make great boat anchors
Tuned by Mark Rainville
Old 08-25-2007, 05:00 AM   #28
GTO JUDGE

2005 GTO Owner

As long as the oil is GM approved it won't matter what type synthetic oil is used.

Everyone has their own preferences on oil, the same with car manufacturers. For the specifications of the engine, Mobil most probably gave GM the best deal on oil in contract and GM recommends them. If Valvoline, Penzoil, Q.S. etc gave GM the best deal people would be asking if Mobil 1 is ok to use.

As long as it meets GM requirements Q.S. and alike are fine to use.

President: Susquehanna Valley GTO
Old 08-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #29
NewJerseyBandit
Crankcase Oil Formulator

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church...View Post

Group II=Synthetic
Group III=Regular oil

Correction, you have it backwards.
Group II=Conventional Oil
Group III=Synthetic Oil

And no...no way is Mobil 1 Group II base stock.

Last edited by NewJerseyBandit; 08-25-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #30
Hawkeye
Ho's b4 Bro's

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightysjay...View Post
Royal purple is the only thing I use,5w30.That stuff is like gold.Amsoil is crap.

Here's a link comparing nearly all the oils, synthetic and petroleum based. Notice Amsoil is at or near the top of each comparison, while RP isn't any better than even some generic off the shelf petroleum based oils.

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motoroil.html

Download Bonus Report #3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: