illegal to modify exhaust in california? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
blackgoat90

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to blackgoat90 Send a message via Skype™ to blackgoat90
illegal to modify exhaust in california?

Well boy am i angry. The Sheriff's Dept. decided to harvest my high school for tickets today. So i of course get pulled over, doing nothing wrong, and get a fix it ticket for not having a front plate and for having a non-stock exhaust. Apparently its illegal in California to have a modified exhaust. Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that you can modify it to make it quieter then stock, just not louder. At that point I'm ready to punch the guy in the face. Needless to say i really don't wanna put the stock one back on. All I've got is the lm1. Have any of you guys heard of this law? I sure as hell haven't.

"I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late"
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
mlbplayer86

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to mlbplayer86
from my experience heres what i believe i know

i got a ticket in my sunfire back in the day for a louder exhaust... so its true. Theres a required decible to be under, look it up, and if you get it tested you can get it writen off. But for an officer to actually write you that ticket all he needs is his opinion. Its up to you to prove him wrong. Also, you cannot modify anything before the cats unless its carb, and can only modify the cat or replace it if the stock one fails. I believe you need a shop to prove that. Not too sure.

-J
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
91GTO

2006 GTO Owner

im pretty sure that this is the law everywhere, but isn't as enforced in some places and in others. I think it is a lenient law. I have heard that it is illegal to modify exhaust in Illinois also, but i have never heard of anyone getting pull over for it. Maybe the 5-0 was just a douche.

Mods: Spintech Super Pro Streets, Magnaflow X-pipe, Kook's 1 3/4" (catted), SLP 455 Predator tune, Lingenfelter Air Intake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tc4...e=channel_page
Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
blackgoat90

2006 GTO Owner

seriously, there were literally 6 cops all over my school today. at least 10 tickets were given out. i saw 3 tickets on the same street.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
91GTO

2006 GTO Owner

move to Southern Illinois......no problems with the pigs here
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
mlbplayer86

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to mlbplayer86
also mine was a movie violation so it wasnt a fixit ticket. Even after replacing it with a muffler that passed the sound test all i got from the judge was a reduction on the fine.

Sucks how they got you, but the laws the law... and its one i support when im sleeping lol

I got mine from showing up to a busted street race with 20 cops. Kind of obvious why i was there. some 18 year old kid, showing up with his riced out sunfire at 1 in the morning lmao... Besides the exhaust he had no reason to pull me over, except for the situation i was in.

Kind of like the other day in gto. I went to a car meet that was called in to the cops. On my way there i was pulled over for no front licence plate. The cop could have cared less about the plate, he just wanted an excuse to run the licence. He let me on my way. lol

Good luck
Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
b727pic
Old Guys Rule

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgoat90...View Post
Well boy am i angry. The Sheriff's Dept. decided to harvest my high school for tickets today. So i of course get pulled over, doing nothing wrong, and get a fix it ticket for not having a front plate and for having a non-stock exhaust. Apparently its illegal in California to have a modified exhaust. Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that you can modify it to make it quieter then stock, just not louder. At that point I'm ready to punch the guy in the face. Needless to say i really don't wanna put the stock one back on. All I've got is the lm1. Have any of you guys heard of this law? I sure as hell haven't.

just wait until you put those long tubes in, along with the mids...gonna make some serious noise then....Lol

We are at a disadvantage living in Cali, when it comes to car modding... We make up for it though, when we get to drive our GTO's all year long, while much of the midwest and East coast Goats go into hibernation....
LME Iron 403 shortblock: Callies Crank, Compstar Rods, Wiseco coated pistons, EDC custom cam, Rhoads lifters, QTP 2 piece timing chain cover, QTP hi vol oil pump, EDC custom AFR 235 heads, T&D shaft rockers, QTP Scatter shield, ACT twin clutch, JBA shorty headers, JBA midpipes, Magnaflow catback, PWM Meth Injection, custom staged twin pump boost reference return fuel system. 650HP in search of the missing 75HP
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
91GTO

2006 GTO Owner

That's the truth, i have to get out the old jeep here soon.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #9
gorgbroza
got roll?

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbplayer86...View Post
from my experience heres what i believe i know

i got a ticket in my sunfire back in the day for a louder exhaust... so its true. Theres a required decible to be under, look it up, and if you get it tested you can get it writen off. But for an officer to actually write you that ticket all he needs is his opinion. Its up to you to prove him wrong. Also, you cannot modify anything before the cats unless its carb, and can only modify the cat or replace it if the stock one fails. I believe you need a shop to prove that. Not too sure.

-J

Correct - the officer's discretion to write the ticket, and you have to deal with the hassle of visiting the BAR referee for a measurement. I dealt with this once in the past. I kept the paperwork in the glove compartment in hopes of avoiding future tickets, but there's no guarantee - they're allowed to cite you regardless.

1991 Isuzu Impulse RS
for sale... need to buy a minivan
Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
JonnieDago
Achtung!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbplayer86...View Post
also mine was a movie violation...

Those movie violations will get you every time. I remember the time my brother and I got tickets for leading the police on a chase through the local mall. I think we got in the most trouble for jumping that draw bridge. Its okay tho. We were on a mission from god.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
xtremelift
RAIDER NATION.

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to xtremelift
^^ haha you caught that too eh? Just beat me too it! Ya Cali = **** for any mods on your ride. BTW you get told pop the hood and you have "CARB" headers JBA whatever they are. You will get a ticket no matter what cops dont care out here. My goat stays in garage now since we got a Corolla to drive around in all the time soooo good luck with that, where in cali do you live too?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 AM   #12
GoatKart
I Arrrghhh Pi-RAT!

2004 GTO Owner

my understanding was always that its illegal to modify the exhaust unless your exhaust system fails in some way, then you can replace the part(s) that failed... it was just near impossible to enforce because how do you prove there exhaust didnt fail.... other than that i was always of the undestanding that dB was the next catch all..... and as long as you cleared those two you were in the clear...

the emissions equip, especially in ca is beyond my knowledge though
www.zombo.com
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
NRG
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006

2006 GTO Owner

You can have modified exhaust. The sound that is coming out of your exhaust can't exceed 95dBs. Again it is not illegal to have a modified or aftermarket exhaust.

Here is the california law

"CA. V.C. 27151 No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5(commencing with Section 27200) of this chapter. No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

This shows that there are other characteristics that the exhaust system must conform to truly show a violation. This also shows that other vehicle codes must be considered when in violation of this vehicle code.

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and proper maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. (c) The provision of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

Part (a) states that the muffler must suppress any excessive or unusual noise. This refers to part (b) which states that the muffler must meet the requirements of Article 2.5, which refers to noise levels. Part (a) and (b) also refer to a cut-away, bypass or similar device commonly known as a "dump."

CA.V.C. 27200 (a) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall not register on a dealer's report of sale a new motor vehicle, except an off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000), Which produces a maximum noise exceeding the applicable noise limit at a distance of 50 feet from the centerline of travel under test procedures established by the Department of Highway Patrol.

(b) The Department of Motor Vehicles may accept a dealer's certificate as proof of compliance with this article. (c) Test procedures for compliance with this article shall be established by the Department of the California Highway Patrol, taking into consideration the testing procedures of the Society of Automotive Engineers.

Part (c) of this section says that the California Highway Patrol shall set the testing standards in the for of California Code of Regulation, Title 13, Article 9, Section 1036 as denoted in letter from the Department of California Highway Patrol file 60.A9190.A9181.062.9610186.

CCR 1036 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks and Buses

Exhaust systems for motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 LB (2,722 kg) shall comply with the specified noise limits when tested in accordance with the following specifications:

(a) Measuring Site. The vehicle under test shall be positioned either on outdoor pavement or on a shop floor ( but not over a hoist or pit) in a location where the exhaust outlets are near an open shop door. No sound-reflecting surface other than the pavement and the vehicle being measured shall be within 10 ft (3.0m) of any part of the vehicle.

The testing is done in an environment in which there is minimal sound contamination. Please note that there is nothing stating highways or other public roads as being an exception to this criterion.

(b) Microphone Location. The microphone for the sound level meter shall be at the same height as the center of the exhaust outlet. The microphone shall be no closer to the pavement than 8 in. (203mm) when the exhaust outlet is lower than this height. The microphone shall be positioned with its longitudinal axis parallel to the ground, 20 inches plus or minus 1 inch (508mm plus or minus 24mm) from the nearest edge of the exhaust outlet, and 45 degrees plus or minus 10 degrees from the axis of the outlet. For exhaust outlets located under the vehicle body, the microphone shall be located at the specified angle and at least 8 in., (203mm) from the nearest part of the vehicle. For exhaust outlets that make an angle of 45 degree or less with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, the microphone shall be outboard of the exhaust axis. For exhaust outlet angles of more than 45 degrees, the microphone shall be on the side of the exhaust axis to the rear of the vehicle.

This denotes where the sound measuring device is relatively close to the exhaust outlet. Notice that it does not make any references to provisions for sound level testing done from distances greater than 21 inches. <

(c) Engine Operation. The engine shall be at a normal running temperature with the transmission in neutral. System sound level measurements conducted for certification by exhaust manufacturers shall be made at an average steady-state engine speed of three-quarters of maximum rpm. Sound level measurements conducted by licensed muffler certification stations shall be made at an average steady-state engine speed of 3,000 rpm for vehicles manufactured before 1972 for which the station does not have a maximum rpm data.

Please notice that the engine is supposed to be running and the law has no provisions for parked vehicles. Note that the certification can be done by the manufacturer of the exhaust system. There is no requirement that the manufacturer sound test each individual vehicle. Re: "licensed muffler certification stations," the letter from the California Highway Patrol file Number 60.A9190.A9181.062.9610186 states in the third paragraph that these facilities were canceled in 1978 due to budgetary cut-backs.

(d) Exhaust Sound Level Measurement. The recorded exhaust system sound level of a stationary vehicle shall be the highest reading obtained during the test, disregarding unrelated peaks due to extraneous ambient noise. When there is more than one exhaust outlet, the reported sound level shall be for the loudest outlet. When there are two or more exhaust outlets separated by less than 12 in. (305mm), measurements shall be made on the outlet closest to the side or rear of the vehicle. (Figure 4). The sound level for the motor vehicles with the manufacturers' gross vehicle ratings of less than 6,000 LB (2,722 kg) except motorcycles, shall not exceed the following limit:

The statement stating extraneous ambient noise refers to noise coming from places other than the exhaust. For this reason, testing cannot be done in a sound-contaminated environment. It would be logical that a roadside or a highway would be a sound-contaminated environment.

(1) Sound Level Limit. The exhaust noise shall not exceed 95 dB(A). "

If your car does not exceed 95dBs on the test then the ticket should be dropped. I would then file a complaint with the officer that issued the ticket for harrassment. File a civil suit too if need be. Get the cop fired for being a prick and punish the police department for hiring a moron like that. Police need to know and UNDERSTAND the laws that they enforce. If your ticket is not dropped, hire an attorney have him/her appeal the court findings and you will win the next round. Then turn around and sue the department for harrassment and lawyer fees for a bogus ticket.

Oh and.. alot of attorneys/judges have harley davison motorcycles.. they play dress up and they drive them on the weekends... it would be a shame if all of the lawyers and judges would have to get a ticket for their exhaust on their motorcycles. Harley's are far louder than a Loud Mouth 1 exhaust on our cars.

Here is some advice... if you think there is a cop around and you know you have a loud car... either don't start it up until they leave or if you are already moving and the cop is coming toward you, let your car idle past the cop until it is clear. Don't be rev'n your motor and making alot of noise when they are around... that's just looking for trouble.

2006 GTO Brazen Orange. - Sold
Muffler Delete
http://spaces.msn.com/lukegto2006

Last edited by NRG; 10-25-2007 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #14
NRG
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006

2006 GTO Owner

And here is come more info on the law...

Information Bulletin No. 98-100
Excessive Noise Enforcement Passenger Vehicles, Light Trucks and Motorcycles
The California Highway Patrol (CHP), Commercial Vehicle Section (CVS), has received many inquiries about excessive noise emitted by passenger vehicles, light trucks and motorcycles. Enforcement personnel and the public have inquired regarding enforcement of the Vehicle Code (VC) sections pertaining to excessive noise emitted by these vehicles.
Excessive noise is primarily a nuisance issue rather than a safety concern, and determination of excessive noise is subjective. For this reason, enforcement personnel are to exercise sound professional judgment in making a determination of violation. The following guidelines and attached question and answer sheet (Attachment A) provide guidance to enforcement personnel regarding appropriate enforcement procedures.

Enforcement Guidelines
The only drivers who should be cited are those whose vehicles:
1. Are not equipped with a muffler;
2. Clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or;
3. Have a clearly defective exhaust system (holes, leaks, etc.).

Clearing Citations
When clearing excessive noise citations issued by the CHP or allied agencies, personnel are to consider exhaust systems in compliance if they incorporate a reasonably effective muffler, do not emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, and appear to be in good repair.

ATTACHMENT A

Q1: Doesn't the VC require a muffler on every vehicle?
Yes. Section 27150 VC requires that every motor vehicle subject to registration be equipped with an adequate muffler. There are no exceptions all vehicles must be equipped with a muffler, as defined in Section 425 VC. A turbocharger is not considered a muffler.

Q2: Aren't all exhaust system modifications prohibited?
No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of the exhaust system to amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle, making the vehicle not in compliance with Section 27150 VC or exceeding the noise limits established in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Section 27151 VC does not prohibit all modifications to an exhaust system. It also does not prohibit all modifications that increase the noise level of the exhaust system over that of the original, factory-installed exhaust system (as it did until 1980). It only prohibits modifications that result in a noise level higher than those specified in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Accurately determining compliance with Sections 27201-27206 VC for enforcement purposes is generally impractical. Enforcement personnel must make an informed professional evaluation to determine if excessive noise statutes are being violated.

Q3: Do I have to actually listen to a vehicle to cite it for a violation of either Section 27150 or 27151?
Yes. Drivers of vehicles should not be cited for violation of either Section 27150 or 27151 VC unless the officer has personally listened to the vehicle in operation. This can be either under actual driving conditions or with the vehicle stationary and the engine running. Even if the officer has inspected the exhaust system and does not see a muffler present, the officer should listen to the vehicle. The purpose of this is to be sure that the exhaust system does not incorporate internally baffled pipes or other components that meet the definition of a muffler. There are no specifications which state required configurations or minimum dimensions for mufflers. A vehicle that does not visually appear to be equipped with a muffler, but does not emit excessive noise, should be deemed to comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 VC.

Q4: Does an aftermarket, replacement or modified tailpipe or muffler tip constitute a violation of Section 27151 VC?
No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of exhaust systems to amplify or increase noise. The officer would have to establish that the modification increased the noise emitted by the vehicle by listening to the exhaust. In general, exhaust system piping, tubing, fittings, cosmetic tips or other passive devices placed behind the muffler have minimal impact on exhaust system sound levels.

Q5: Since Section 27150 requires that the muffler prevent excessive and unusual noise, can the driver of a vehicle be cited for violation of Section 27150 if it emits a sound different than the original factory installed muffler?
The prohibition against unusual noise refers to noises that are unusual for motor vehicles. Noise that may be unusual for a particular make or model of vehicle, but which is not necessarily unusual for other motor vehicles, should not be considered in violation, provided the noise is not excessive.

Q6: Aren't all modified exhaust systems unlawful under pollution control laws?
No.Current pollution control laws regarding aftermarket exhaust systems are quite complex, but do permit the installation of a variety of aftermarket and "exempt" systems. Due to the complexity of modern pollution control systems and the laws governing them, the CHP does not provide technical training in this area. Enforcement of pollution control laws is the responsibility of the Bureau of Automotive Repair through the "Smog Check" program.

Q7: What are the noise levels specified in Sections 27201-27206 VC? Can these be used to cite loud vehicles?
No. Section 27200 VC prohibits the sale of new motor vehicles that exceed the noise limits specified in these Sections. The specified noise limits (80 dB(A) (decibels) for all new cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles apply only to new motor vehicles, under full throttle acceleration tests, measured 50 feet from the test vehicle, as specified in Sections 1040-1044, 1046 and 1047, Title 13, California Code of Regulations (13 CCR). These noise levels and the specified test methods apply to manufacturers and new car dealers only, for new vehicle certification purposes, and may not be used for enforcement purposes against vehicles being operated on public roadways. The CHP is not aware of any significant violation of Section 27200 VC by vehicle manufacturers or dealers.

Q8: What are the noise levels specified in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC and how can they be enforced?
Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC specify noise standards for vehicles operating on the highway (in-use vehicles), and are intended for use in actual traffic conditions. The limits of Section 23130 apply under all conditions of grade, load, acceleration and deceleration. The lower limits of Section 23130.5 apply only to relatively level roadways and under conditions of relatively constant speed. They specifically do not apply to areas of congested traffic that require noticeable acceleration or deceleration, or within 200 feet of an official traffic control device or change in grade. Although these sections were intended for use in actual traffic conditions, the complexities of noise testing require the testing be conducted in a relatively large open area free of other vehicles and large sound-reflecting objects. This makes in-use vehicle noise testing in most developed areas impractical, where noise complaints are most likely to occur. The CHP does not currently provide either the instrumentation or training necessary to conduct vehicle noise testing. Enforcement using Section 27150 or 27151 VC is usually more appropriate and effective.

Q9: What is the exhaust noise test specified in 13 CCR? Can this be used for enforcement?
Sections 1030-1036, 13 CCR, were intended to be used by Licensed Muffler Certification Stations as a means of determining if an exhaust system met the requirements of the Muffler Certification Program (when those programs were operational). They specify testing procedures for motor vehicle exhaust noise alone (as opposed to total vehicle noise). This procedure specifies a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, typically at a speed of 3000-5000 rpm. (For comparison, a modern rotary lawn mower with a 5-horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine typically emits approximately 93 dB(A) at the same distance at full speed under no load.) It applies only to passenger vehicles. It does not apply to motorcycles or to vehicles over 6000 pounds gross weight.

Q10: Can this test be used in enforcement?
Not readily. Although much simpler than the test methods specified in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC, this test method still requires some technical expertise and a means to determine both the speed (rpm) of the engine under test (tachometer) and the rpm at which maximum horsepower of the engine is developed (information which may not always be readily available), as well as a sound level meter. It is not intended for roadside noise testing. The CHP does not currently provide either the instrumentation or training necessary to conduct exhaust noise testing.This test is useful, however, for determining if an aftermarket or performance exhaust system complies with VC requirements. It should be noted that the 95 dB(A) level, because it is intended as a simple "go-no-go" type of test, may permit exhaust noise somewhat higher than those permitted under Sections 27201-27206 VC. An exhaust system that complies with the requirements of Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR, is deemed to comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 VC.

Q11: What happened to the Muffler Certification and the Licensed Muffler Certification Station Programs?
Funding for both programs was terminated in 1979. There are currently no Official Muffler Certification Stations, no listing of certified mufflers and no formal mechanism in place to conduct objective vehicle or exhaust noise testing.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #15
NRG
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006

2006 GTO Owner

Continued...

Q12: Can local authorities enact or enforce more strict ordinances regarding vehicle noise?
No. Section 21 VC makes the VC applicable and uniform throughout the state, and prohibits local authorities from enacting or enforcing any ordinance on the matters covered by the VC unless expressly authorized to do so. In-use vehicle noise is addressed in Sections 23130 and 23130.5 VC. There is no provision in the VC that permits local authorities to adopt additional noise limitations. Consequently, citations issued under such ordinances are invalid.

Q13: Some aftermarket exhaust systems include documentation that the system has been tested and found to meet the requirements of Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR. Are those legal?
The CHP does not have the resources to independently verify manufacturer's claims, but is aware that some aftermarket exhaust systems do meet the noise levels specified in Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR. An officer may consider such documentation in evaluating an exhaust system for excessive noise, both during the issuance of a citation and when clearing a citation pursuant to Section 40610(cool.gif VC.

Q14: What type of enforcement action should be taken against vehicles emitting excessive noise?
Providing none of the disqualifying conditions listed in Section 40610(cool.gif are present, the use of the CHP 281, "Notice to Correct," or checking the Dismissable Violation "Yes" box on the CHP 215, "Notice to Appear (Arrest Citation)," would be appropriate for these violations.

CHP Information Bulletin: An Exhaust Noise Standard to Guide Enforcement Offices, Specialty Equipment Manufacturers and Consumers

The California Highway Patrol (CHP), working with manufacturers and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), has issued new guidelines to clarify state exhaust noise regulations. CHP Information Bulletin No. 98-100 informs CHP and local officers, industry and consumers on applicable noise limits and allowable custom exhaust modifications.

Where To Find It: The following indicates the paragraph # (e.g., Q2) in the CHP Bulletin containing key information to support specialty equipment manufacturers and consumers on legal exhaust modifications.

The Bulletin acknowledges that exhaust modifications that increase noise may be legal under California regulations and that exhaust systems which meet a 95-decibel noise limit (13 CCR 1036(d)(1)), are deemed to comply with California's modified exhaust enforcement provisions (Vehicle Code Sections 27150 and 27151). [Q2 & Q10]. The document also advises that the California Vehicle Code does not automatically prohibit modifications that increase exhaust system noise levels over that of factory-installed systems. [Q2].

Industry representatives and the CHP have pledged to educate interested parties about California's applicable noise limits and proper enforcement standards. Because current regulations do not provide for practical roadside noise testing, enforcement stops will require an officer's informed, professional evaluation. [Q2]. The Bulletin notes that CHP lacks resources to independently verify manufacturer claims, but is aware there are custom systems that meet the noise levels specified in 1036(d)(1), CCR 13. An officer may consider specialty equipment manufacturer documentation in evaluating an exhaust system for excessive noise, both during an enforcement stop and when clearing a ticket pursuant to a "Notice to Correct" citation (Vehicle Code Section 40610(cool.gif). [Q13].

The following summarizes the Bulletin's guidelines with regard to custom exhaust systems and enforcement of California's noise regulations:

Exhaust Noise Limits: California regulations contain a number of sections specifying permissible vehicle noise levels. The Bulletin advises that passenger car exhaust systems [Q9] that comply with the requirements of Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR are deemed to comply with Vehicle Code enforcement Sections 27150 and 27151, governing mufflers and exhaust system modifications. [Q10]. The exhaust noise provisions in 1036(d)(1) establish a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, at a specified speed typically between 3000 and 5000 rpm (see regulations for details). [Q9]. Exhaust system modifications are permitted to increase noise above the level of original factory installed systems as long as the 95-decibel limit is not exceeded. [Q10].

Statewide Noise Standard: The Bulletin advises that Section 21 of the Vehicle Code makes the Code applicable and uniform throughout the state, prohibiting local authorities from adopting additional noise limitations, unless expressly authorized. Citations issued under any such local ordinances are therefore invalid. [Q12].

Modified Exhaust Systems: A custom, replacement or modified tailpipe or muffler tip does not automatically constitute a violation of Vehicle Code Section 27151. In general, exhaust system piping, tubing, fittings, cosmetic tips or other passive devices placed behind the muffler have minimal impact on exhaust system sound levels. [Q4]. There are no regulations that require configurations or minimum dimensions for mufflers. A vehicle which does not visually appear to be equipped with a muffler, but does not emit excessive noise, should be deemed to comply with Sections 27150 and 27151. [Q4].

"Fix-it" Ticket: Concerning enforcement action on excessive noise, the Bulletin recommends using CHP 281 "Notice to Correct" or checking the Dismissable Violation "Yes" box on CHP 215, "Notice to Appear (Arrest Citation)" unless disqualifying conditions listed in Section 40610(cool.gif are present. [Q14]. This procedure will give vehicle owners an opportunity to present materials demonstrating that the vehicle complies with the 95dB(A) standard and seek to have the citation nullified.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:28 AM   #16
NRG
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006

2006 GTO Owner

And some more...

OTHER USEFULL INFORMATION...

The end of August marked the one-year anniversary of California’s exhaust-noise testing program. The California Bureau of Automotive Repair reports that about 90% of the approximately 3,000 vehicles that have undergone the state’s exhaust-noise test have been certified to be in compliance with California law. The program is the result of a SAN-sponsored law that allows California hobbyists to prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards.

"This information validates our long-held contention that a vast majority of citations written for violation of California's exhaust noise laws are, in fact, erroneous," said SEMA Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. “For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers has deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels met state standards.”

The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. Under the program, the 40 Smog Check stations statewide that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations are issuing certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95-decibels, under SAE test procedure J1169. However, only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation are permitted to submit their vehicle for the test.

“Motorists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance prefer aftermarket exhaust systems,” McDonald added. By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this program is proving to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.”

BAR has yet to issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the test. Tests are currently being performed at no cost to consumers. BAR has established a toll free number to accept phone calls from cited motorists who wish to have the test performed (800-622-7733). BAR officials have asked that cited motorists have the citation and vehicle registration information available when calling.

IF YOU READ THE RED TEXT in this reply... i'm pointing out that the text says in other words... the cops write bogus tickets 90% of the time for exhaust issues.

Last edited by NRG; 10-25-2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 AM   #17
GoatKart
I Arrrghhh Pi-RAT!

2004 GTO Owner

good post nrg....
Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 AM   #18
Daz05GTO
LBZ GOAT

2005 GTO Owner

before trying to fight it and wasting your time..keep on getting extensions till your at the maximum. go to court and just pay the fine. trust me i went thru this with my Roush Mustang. $115 bucks and ur out of the door. AND you still get to keep your mufflers on.

http://www.dailydraggermagazine.com/...otPICS/GMC.jpg
"Your lucky that double shot of Barbecue sauce didnt blow the welds on your nugget box.."
"now me and the mad scientist gotta rid apart the block and replace the onion rings you fried"

Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #19
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

it is illegal to exhale CO2 in Cali. greenhouse gas you know...

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #20
6QTS11OZ
TNA make me leak DNA

2005 GTO Owner

In addition to NGR's posts, Cali and I'm sure other states do as well prohibit replacement of the stock cats if they haven't failed. If they are replaced they have to be in the same location as the original cats. That's the main reason long tubes are illegal in Cali because the cats will not be in the stock location. Yeah it can be tuned to pass the sniffer but the location crap of the cats is where they get you.

The noise thing is just like illegal tint here. If the cop wants to be a butt he will pull you over and cite you. I was pulled over for speeding in my Maxima and the highway patrolman told me that my tint was illegal, which it is, but he was not going to write me up for it. I asked him why and he said he just don't have the time to pull every car over for tint. I thought that was cool of him. He said it's just that some cops do it and some don't. I'm glad he didn't

516RWHP/500RWTQ
Mods: 2 factory plug wires and 6 MSD wires
Future mods: 2 more MSD wires
Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #21
putergod
Saved by Grace

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Just go get the free test with your ticket, if you pass, go to court and get it dropped. If you fail, take Daz05GTO's advice, lol.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #22
xtremelift
RAIDER NATION.

2006 GTO Owner

I have a friend in Costa Mesa who is a sheriff, told me after hearing my car and being close enough (30ft haha away) and smelled the exhaust. Said your lucky I am your friend we see "ANY" after market parts will cite u, no matter if its carb legal or anything.. He also admitted that they usually go after the more ricer cars. Not sure why but eh whatever. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
NRG
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremelift...View Post
I have a friend in Costa Mesa who is a sheriff, told me after hearing my car and being close enough (30ft haha away) and smelled the exhaust. Said your lucky I am your friend we see "ANY" after market parts will cite u, no matter if its carb legal or anything.. He also admitted that they usually go after the more ricer cars. Not sure why but eh whatever. Good luck.

Well your friend needs to be fired. He is not operating within the guidelines of the law. He is making up his own laws and should be punished for it. It is not illegal to have after market parts on your car. Let me know what county he is in and i'll drive down there, get him to write me a ticket for having aftermarket parts on my car and I will then file a civil suit against the county.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
NRG
XBOX LIVE TAG = GTO2006

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ...View Post
That's the main reason long tubes are illegal in Cali because the cats will not be in the stock location. Yeah it can be tuned to pass the sniffer but the location crap of the cats is where they get you.

Here is a little something for you. From what I get out of it, the law states that you can run aftermarket exhaust.. which includes headers. It also says that the High Patrol are not trained to identify whether are not the cats are in the stock place or not and they can't really give a ticket for something they know nothing about. So as long as you pass the smog test you are fine, reguardless of where your cats are located...headers or not.

"Q6: Aren't all modified exhaust systems unlawful under pollution control laws?
No.Current pollution control laws regarding aftermarket exhaust systems are quite complex, but do permit the installation of a variety of aftermarket and "exempt" systems. Due to the complexity of modern pollution control systems and the laws governing them, the CHP does not provide technical training in this area. Enforcement of pollution control laws is the responsibility of the Bureau of Automotive Repair through the "Smog Check" program."

It really sounds to me like the people of California have let the Law Enforcement get out of hand. They are making up their own rules and laws and have nothing to back up what they are writing tickets for and you pay the tickets anyways. There needs to be a check and balance system implemented on the california law enforcement. You need to stand up for your rights and stop bending over and taking it. Punish them for not doing their jobs properly and harrassing the people that they are there to serve. Make them follow the written law not the word of mouth law.

Last edited by NRG; 10-25-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #25
xtremelift
RAIDER NATION.

2006 GTO Owner

ya try doing that in Irvine they are WAAAY worse then in Costa Mesa, actually in Costa Mesa they have gotten lil better but in Irvine, they camp out by car club gathering, etc, Cars and coffee always has a couple cruise chillen on the corner waiting to pop someone. Its pure madness.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #26
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

What exhaust do you have the car? You can fight the ticket based on the fact that the officer did not test the Decipals of the system, but like most kangaroo courts your probably better off just pay the ticket.....

NEED TECHNICAL SUPPORT? SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE EVERYDAY 8AM-8PM EST

631-902-2276
http://kollarracingproducts.com
sales@kollarracingproducts.com
GREAT PARTS, GREAT PRICES, FAST SHIPPING.....
Old 10-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #27
LT4HOTCAM

2004 GTO Owner

I'm from L.A. and will be moving back soon, and 1 thing I haven't missed is the LAPD, INGLEWOOD PD, CULVER CITY PD, HAWTHORNE PD, AND THE EL SEGUNDO PD. On tuesday's and thursday's you have to watch for the police. I have noticed that other states don't pick on people unless they deserve it, can't speak for everyone but thats just from my experience
I have also came to the conclusion that cali has the worst street race seen n America so that could be a reason why they are so strict i remember going out on a thursday in hawthorne meetng up at albertson's and getting kicked out, then going to meet up with 200 more cars at every super market i the county. You must admit the seen is f_cking crazy out their thats why I love it.

QSM/RED SILVER SWAGG

Last edited by LT4HOTCAM; 10-25-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #28
1SLOGTO
yeah its really slow

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to 1SLOGTO
Man your just unlucky!!!!lol my trans am i had before had a big cam long tubes and catless y- pipe with 4" mufflex exhaust "LOUD" i had it like that for 4 years until it got stolen. never got a ticket i got a few thumbs up from cops though. like stated befor they mostly go after ricers that drive like idiots. i have numerous friends in the chp and sac county sheriffs dept. that never mess with good sounding american muscle. unless they are driving like idiots. When i join up to go in to the chp i promise i will be the good cop that only tags ricers and idiot drivers lol oh and you can just pay the bypass wich is usally a few hundred bucks but you wont have to change your exhaust.
1/4:13.4 at 104

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #29
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I drove a supercharged (and intercooled) '99 S10 (4.3L V6) for 6 years around LA. Had headers, 2.25" ypipe - 3" cat - 3" magnaflow. Pulled over a few times and they never gave me a hard time for the exhaust.. although, every time I was pulled over I was being profiled because I was driving a lowered S10, not because I was driving dumb.

2006 GTO - QSM - M6
Old 10-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #30
blackgoat90

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SLOGTO...View Post
Man your just unlucky!!!!lol my trans am i had before had a big cam long tubes and catless y- pipe with 4" mufflex exhaust "LOUD" i had it like that for 4 years until it got stolen. never got a ticket i got a few thumbs up from cops though. like stated befor they mostly go after ricers that drive like idiots. i have numerous friends in the chp and sac county sheriffs dept. that never mess with good sounding american muscle. unless they are driving like idiots. When i join up to go in to the chp i promise i will be the good cop that only tags ricers and idiot drivers lol oh and you can just pay the bypass wich is usally a few hundred bucks but you wont have to change your exhaust.

i dont have the money to do that unless my parents want to help otherwise i would. For the record i wasn't driving like in a idiot in any way shape or form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: