Broken Scorpion Roller Rocker - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Angry Broken Scorpion Roller Rocker

Driving home this evening, I was about 50 yards from my driveway when the car started to stumble and wanting to die. The sound emitting from the engine was a loud CLACKITY CLACK. I removed the valve cover on the passenger side and found this:

Nice, eh. Appears the rocker arm cracked then got caught on the lip of the head.

Removed the rocker arm and this is whats left:

The pushrod is not bent and the other rockers are fine. The swipe mark on the valve tip is centered. The rockers have been installed since summer '07.

Darn
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
EllisJuan
Still not Mexican.

2004 GTO Owner

Wow, that sucks. I was just thinking about adding those to my mod list too. I guess I better reconsider.
N- Neglect Emotionally
I- Inspire Hope
S- Separate Entirely
Old 03-07-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
Jontall
1 of 262

2006 GTO Owner

They had problems with the first batch they made... Contact them for complete free replacement minus labor.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
BUCKNERBUCK2
Still here.

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to BUCKNERBUCK2
From what I understand, you will not be let down with their service in this situation, so dont worry.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
Black Devil
Is a new Daddy!

2004 GTO Owner

Sounds like you didn't get the memo with the first batch. Scorpion will take care o it.
Pedders eXtreme track II with fast ratio steering gear, Harrop diff cover, GMM race shifter,1 piece aluminum driveshaft, MSD wires, E E Catch can, K&N panel filter,2005,6 Corsa sport, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's with catless mids, Noltec Engine Mounts (new design), full red lighting swap and '05, '06 cluster upgrades by GTPrix, 2005,6 axles, SAP front, CF grills, skirts, 2005,6 rear bumper, CF Banshee hood, 224/228 112 LSA, ported TB
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

It looks just like the Harland Sharp I posted pics of.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
JS1965

2006 GTO Owner

Rebuilt stockers from HS are they way to go

SOLD
2010 CAMARO 1SS A6
Bolt Ons
Best Et 12.59@113

SOLD
2006 TR CAM ONLY GTO A4
ET 11.91@114.44

SOLD
2000 WS6 H/C
Best Et 10.89@124
Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
rednari

Yes, this is the second broken Scorpion rocker featured here during the last week. Last year there were problems concerning Comp Cams number 918 springs. Maybe the members are finally getting this. Crane, Isky, Morel, Crower and all of the old school valve train manufacterers make sound and reliable race proven products.

The above mentioned products work well. The new school guys should discover them.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
BUCKNERBUCK2
Still here.

2006 GTO Owner

Umm, Harland is an old school name and have more problems than any "new school" A lot of Crane and Comp stuff is to picky (lifter pre-load for lifters come to mind)
Yeah, Morel makes good lifters...Ill give you that.

Nothing is wrong with New Scorpions..search and you will see.

Where is the other set that failed?? I think you are referring to Todd0 which was a HS.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
CHA-LEE
Chimp Daddy LLC

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to CHA-LEE
I think its funny that one guy posts a failure of (insert mod of your choice here) and INSTANTLY people hop on the "good thing I seen this, its off my mod list now" band wagon.

Parts fail, period. Especially with components that are mass produced. You want a rocker that won't break? Guess what, you are not going to pay $350 for a set of them. You get what you pay for. If you want a rocker that isn't going to fail, have some custom ones made out of titanium, uber grade bearings and stress tested for millions of miles. Then pay out the nose for them, smile, and don't whine about the cost knowing that they won't fail.

We all know that things fail, lets just make sure the proper expectation is set. We also know that when he contacts Scorpion they will take care of this issue promptly. To me the customer service experience is more important than the quality of the product. Plus, if nothing ever broke on our cars when would we ever get a chance to work on it???
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #11
rushhour
Master of Youngrushhour

GKRHV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSADRG...View Post
Driving home this evening, I was about 50 yards from my driveway when the car started to stumble and wanting to die. The sound emitting from the engine was a loud CLACKITY CLACK. I removed the valve cover on the passenger side and found this:

Nice, eh. Appears the rocker arm cracked then got caught on the lip of the head.

Removed the rocker arm and this is whats left:

The pushrod is not bent and the other rockers are fine. The swipe mark on the valve tip is centered. The rockers have been installed since summer '07.

Darn

Yep - if you got them in the summer of 07 - like me - you got one of the first batches. The problem was the cup that is inserted into the rocker was too large. Just call scorpion and they will send you a full new set of the newer model.
PB 1.611, 11.732 @ 115.22, DA +1,973 @ 4,005 lbs
1.566, 11.585 @ 116.22, DA +960 @ 4,010 lbs (Nasty Headwind)
1.538, 11.352 @ 119.16, DA -2,340 @ 3,960 lbs
Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHA-LEE...View Post
I think its funny that one guy posts a failure of (insert mod of your choice here) and INSTANTLY people hop on the "good thing I seen this, its off my mod list now" band wagon.

Parts fail, period. Especially with components that are mass produced. You want a rocker that won't break? Guess what, you are not going to pay $350 for a set of them. You get what you pay for. If you want a rocker that isn't going to fail, have some custom ones made out of titanium, uber grade bearings and stress tested for millions of miles. Then pay out the nose for them, smile, and don't whine about the cost knowing that they won't fail.

We all know that things fail, lets just make sure the proper expectation is set. We also know that when he contacts Scorpion they will take care of this issue promptly. To me the customer service experience is more important than the quality of the product. Plus, if nothing ever broke on our cars when would we ever get a chance to work on it???

I agree. Like I've said before, I'm surprised these manufactures can ever give us a warranty. Any time you mod you have to expect to break parts. Harland Sharp was great to deal with. They replaced my broken rocker and sent me 2 extras. I'm happy.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
Cyclone Chris
Hazard to Society

2005 GTO Owner

I wonder if Scorpion makes the Harland Sharp also. If you look at their company info, they produce/design rockers for multiple companies and those companies, just stick their name on the scorpion rockers.

- Performance by TriStar
- Shifted by Billet Pro
- Cam Built by EDC at Flowtech
- Handled by Pedders Suspension
- Tuned by Vengeance Racing - 440rwhp / 417 rwtq

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/image.p...ine=1190018173
Old 03-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
bookemdano

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednari...View Post
Yes, this is the second broken Scorpion rocker featured here during the last week. Last year there were problems concerning Comp Cams number 918 springs. Maybe the members are finally getting this. Crane, Isky, Morel, Crower and all of the old school valve train manufacterers make sound and reliable race proven products.

The above mentioned products work well. The new school guys should discover them.

you forgot to add JESEL Rockers......
Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #15
EDC
The stick guy -
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednari...View Post

Some real world info....

Comp BUYS their rockers from Dove and Scorpion. Guess they feel Scorpion has enough engineering behind them for Scooter to buy them...

Cranes gold rockers are now made overseas. So much for Crane's "old school" advantage.

Ed Morel makes billet body lifters for the aftermarket. He's not an old school manufacturer by any means, but definitely ahead of the curve.

Isky like the Morel stuff so much, they buy from him and call it Red Zone and Durathon. They DO NOT make rockers or lifters. They BUY them.

Quality? Engineering?

I have been using the Scorpion aluminum roller rockers in my 9000+ RPM small block Fords with not one single failure. These are race only engines that are highly restricted by certain valvetrain rules and I have abused their stuff a ton. Not one single rocker arm failure!

Bottom line: Scorpion is taking care of EVERY issue concerning the installation of the improper push rod cup in a few LSX rockers. No questions asked returns and not a "one by one" rocker arm replacement. They want ALL the rockers back and will replace the ENTIRE set at no cost to a consumer.

Geeezzzz.. What more can a company do?

Ed

Your number one source for custom designed camshafts, valvetrain and cylinder head combinations

"Quality is not expensive - It's PRICELESS"

Old 03-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
LS2 tiger
VANDALIZED

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDC...View Post

Some real world info....

Comp BUYS their rockers from Dove and Scorpion. Guess they feel Scorpion has enough engineering behind them for Scooter to buy them...

Cranes gold rockers are now made overseas. So much for Crane's "old school" advantage.

Ed Morel makes billet body lifters for the aftermarket. He's not an old school manufacturer by any means, but definitely ahead of the curve.

Isky like the Morel stuff so much, they buy from him and call it Red Zone and Durathon. They DO NOT make rockers or lifters. They BUY them.

Quality? Engineering?

I have been using the Scorpion aluminum roller rockers in my 9000+ RPM small block Fords with not one single failure. These are race only engines that are highly restricted by certain valvetrain rules and I have abused their stuff a ton. Not one single rocker arm failure!

Bottom line: Scorpion is taking care of EVERY issue concerning the installation of the improper push rod cup in a few LSX rockers. No questions asked returns and not a "one by one" rocker arm replacement. They want ALL the rockers back and will replace the ENTIRE set at no cost to a consumer.

Geeezzzz.. What more can a company do?

Ed

Enough said....Ed has spoken you can now close this thread. NO BS...!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #17
qwikss

2005 GTO Owner

I have a set waiting for me to install and they will be installed...period. Best I can say is if you are looking for longevity in any product then stay stock and never hot rod. You only live once ...so go til it breaks
Old 03-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
LS2 tiger
VANDALIZED

2005 GTO Owner

If you aint breaking you aint racing. Me? I Race....!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Phoenix
It will rise again
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

How can someone tell if they have one of the bad batches of Scorpion rockers?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:33 AM   #20
EDC
The stick guy -
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix...View Post
How can someone tell if they have one of the bad batches of Scorpion rockers?

There really is no way to verify. Sorry...

Ed
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #21
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Scorpion replaced the entire set of rockers with a completely new set.

No problems at all.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
Phoenix
It will rise again
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

I did notice that some are stamped "LS" and some are stamped "LS1".
Old 04-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
rushhour
Master of Youngrushhour

GKRHV8

Still seems like some problems abound

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...38#post4070938
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #24
EDC
The stick guy -
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhour...View Post
Still seems like some problems abound

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...38#post4070938

Got the info... I'll call Robert Monday...

Ed
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
rushhour
Master of Youngrushhour

GKRHV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDC...View Post
Got the info... I'll call Robert Monday...

Ed

Ed - as always thanks.

Must be the bad ass cam of yours doing this
You can advertise it as the cam that no rocker arm can tame.

In any event - got the stockers back on it this morning. The engine appears to be fine. I was going to take to Etown this morning after the rockers went in for a test - but some damn Audi show is going on.

Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #26
rednari

Well nice to see you quoted one of my posts, but I think you missed the meaning. Over the last several months broken Scorpion and/or Comp cam products have been featured by frustrated members. I have yet to see a broken Crane rocker posted regardless of where you believe they are currently manufactured.

Unless Crane relocated its Daytona plant in the last month or two, the rockers were made there. No one today, indeed no one within the last six months to one year, is considering relocating a manufacturing site outside the US. This is due to the dollar exchange rate, the cost of transportation, and other factors too numerous to list here. Most important, and regardless of where the components are made, is that the broken parts presented here should be taken as a warning, that maybe the producer is having quality control problems. Instead, your post informs us that you had no problems with your set, when the members are more concerned with which components fail.

You are also right that Isky lifters are made by Morel, not bad huh. What you are missing is that perhaps, just perhaps Scorpion had a bad patch of rockers or is struggling with quality control after shifting production overseas. Or that the manufacturer of Scorpion products offers a lower cost line which maybe more prone to failure due to economizing.

So, I will end with this note: please show us any broken Crane rockers you are aware of, and post them here.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #27
BUCKNERBUCK2
Still here.

2006 GTO Owner

Scorpions are made in Florida, for the last time.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #28
BUCKNERBUCK2
Still here.

2006 GTO Owner

Also another thing, the one in this thread in picture one looks like it was hitting the valve cover to me, you can see bare metal above the LS1 engraving.
I'm beginning to wonder if people install these ... "don't notice any reduction in noise" when they are hitting the valve cover. My valvetrain barely got louder with the addition of the cam in my sig when I installed the scorpions at the same time (FAST intake on before and after cam install) but I am running Abear valve covers.
Just food for thought, this one looks like it might have been hitting the cover IMO...
Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #29
rushhour
Master of Youngrushhour

GKRHV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKNERBUCK2...View Post
Also another thing, the one in this thread in picture one looks like it was hitting the valve cover to me, you can see bare metal above the LS1 engraving.
I'm beginning to wonder if people install these ... "don't notice any reduction in noise" when they are hitting the valve cover. My valvetrain barely got louder with the addition of the cam in my sig when I installed the scorpions at the same time (FAST intake on before and after cam install) but I am running Abear valve covers.
Just food for thought, this one looks like it might have been hitting the cover IMO...

Hitting the cover is absolutely a problem with these rockers.

That is why I have told anyone looking at these rockers to grind down the cast pins holding the oil deflector plate.

Then once they are put in - listen for any tapping at all. Also to pull the covers after a while to look for scrubbing on the deflector plate. You may not hear just scrubbing. Grinding here may be necessary also.

Also - when torquing down the cover - I always went 100 inch lbs, not 106 - I found that the higher torque brought the cover to close to the rocker arm in some cases.

On mine - there was no contact - pins ground down & plate was also ground in places that I found any scrubbing.

Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #30
BUCKNERBUCK2
Still here.

2006 GTO Owner

Thats what got me thinking Steve, you said going back to stock was a big increase in noise, so if some are reporting no improvement or change in valvetrain noise after going to Scorpions then they might be contacting...because like I said my valvetrain is about the same as before the cam and I relate that to these rockers. Torquing them correct is huge also!
Sorry about your luck though man, really sucks. I still think these are nice pieces though for the coin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: