HELP FAST PLEASE! Gushing Power Steering Fluid! - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 06-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

HELP FAST PLEASE! Gushing Power Steering Fluid!

Did headers tonight. We got everything hooked back up and started the car and it's gushing fluid out of the bottom power steering line that goes into the steering rack. Problem is it's completely tight. My understanding is that the '06 cars had a little flanged tip that kept the o-ring on so I don't exactly think it's that, but to me it's the only thing that makes sense.

If it's not the o-ring, what could it be? I also don't think it's crossthreaded because I could run that nut all the way down to the base almost before having to hit it with a wrench.

If it is the o-ring, I'm guessing any auto parts store would have that same universal size for power steering lines correct?

Thanks for any help. I've gotta get this thing back on the road and right now I'm going to be missing father's day with my family because I'm dumping PS fluid everywhere and can't drive the car.

EDIT: ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!! It was the damn o-ring. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT put the o-ring in the rack then feed the line in. It will most likely not let the line seat correctly. Also, use the right sized o-ring (go to a dealer and get some o-rings or find the right sized one in an assorted back). Put the o-ring ON the tube itself, then thread the tube into the rack. Once it's fully tight push the line forward and pull it back to make sure there is no forward or backward movement in the line and that is seated completely. At that point you should be 100% leak free.

Last edited by josh99ta; 06-16-2008 at 12:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
speeddemon
12'' Member

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon
very wierd,sounds like the o ring is missing or something....

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." ~Thomas Jefferson, 1776

2005 Pontiac GTO...0WHP.
2013 Ford Focus ST
2013 Nissan Frontier KC 4x4
1995 Acura Integra GSR ole reliable
Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

Yeah, we're not talking about a slow leak. We're talking full on steady stream. Seems like the o-ring is most probable, or a cracked line is worst case scenario. Going to try the o-ring first thing tomorrow (this morning in a few hours actually) and if that doesn't fix it I'm pretty much screwed. I'm at the end of my rope dealing with this thing. I'll have someone come tow it and have a dealership put a new line in if the o-ring doesn't work and the old one is cracked.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Black Devil
Is a new Daddy!

2004 GTO Owner

Sounds like the oil seal fell off. You are going to have to take the line back off and replace the seal.
Pedders eXtreme track II with fast ratio steering gear, Harrop diff cover, GMM race shifter,1 piece aluminum driveshaft, MSD wires, E E Catch can, K&N panel filter,2005,6 Corsa sport, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's with catless mids, Noltec Engine Mounts (new design), full red lighting swap and '05, '06 cluster upgrades by GTPrix, 2005,6 axles, SAP front, CF grills, skirts, 2005,6 rear bumper, CF Banshee hood, 224/228 112 LSA, ported TB
Old 06-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I hope you didn’t cross threads if so rack and line is most likely bad. I would defiantly take line off and look. If it’s just O ring no worries. No way would I take to a dealer unless you have endless funds. The line should be finger tight with just a little torque. The O ring does the work not getting ape with fitting.
I hate to say this now but maybe help some one else. I have never taken a line off to do a GTO just the hold down mounts unbolted rack and just moved aside without taking lines off.
Trek Actual :-)ASE 35 + yrs. Mechanic---- RED SAP GRILs, STOCK LS2, MONSTER LEVEL 3.5, LEVEL4 next?, KOOKS, G-Force 1320 AXLEs, STUBs, SUPER CHILLER, MAGGIE 112, ALKY.COM, KB BAP, ELITE CATCH CAN, NOLTEC, HARROP, BMR, MAGNAFLOW, HOTCHKIS BARs, JHP POD, HP TUNERS, PLX WIDE BAND, BLUE TOOTH,06 DOOR LOCK, RADIO CONTROLS & TAILS.

HOME OF THE SUPER CHILLER

Facebook
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
05gto60

2005 GTO Owner

you could have broke the fitting off the end of the line. i did that when i didnt drop the PS rack
Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05gto60...View Post
you could have broke the fitting off the end of the line. i did that when i didnt drop the PS rack

Ouch you have to drop rack just undo the lines from frame not rack. You can pull the one off @ pump and cap it off real fast. That helps too
Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
PokeGTO
Blessing rains down in Africa

2006 GTO Owner

We just fought the exact same thing on an 04 installing SW long tubes yesterday. Fought the ps lines for a long damn time, finally got them installed, fired up the car and she blew ps fluid all over the floor!!!

Word of advice to anyone doing header install: double check these lines before threading them back in and make damn sure that o-ring is on the nipple!!! It added another 2-3 hours to our install! Found the missing o-ring sitting on top of the oil drain pan we had sitting under the car to catch the ps fluid.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
El Dee Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh99ta...View Post

If it is the o-ring, I'm guessing any auto parts store would have that same universal size for power steering lines correct?

I doubt that - This is no common part that a chain AP store would have. Get it from the stealer - in fact get a couple of them - or get one of those assortment boxes of all sizes of O rings if Ur in a hurry. I know Pep Boys has that item. U also have to make sure that they are Neoprene O rings and not rubber. Rubber will not hold up to oil and will swell.
Spice Red
Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
Swampgoat
Objects in mirror dont matter

2004 GTO Owner

Ah yes, the infamous Oring with happy feet.
Those little buggers are waiting to run away on ya, and on the 06 I did headers for the line was identical to my 04, and yes, the oring tried to get away.
Another possibility is the oring folded into the threads and tore as ya put the fitting back on.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

Looks like to me it has to be the o ring. Took the lines off today and can visibly see an o-ring on the seat in the rack for the top line, but no o-ring on the bottom, which would explain why it's dumping fluid directly from the fitting. Went and picked up some Viton o rings at O'Reily, put one in that fit around the "snout" of the line, buttoned it up, and still an immediate massive leak. Thinking I may have pinched the o ring going in now. It cant be seated because thats the only place I'm getting the leak from.

It's not crossthreaded, fed in fine by hand.

The line could be cracked, its the only other way to explain it, but I don't think it would puke fluid this fast unless the line was busted wide open.

Letting the headers cool off right now so I can get my arms back in there, pull the lines yet again, and try to get the o ring seated one more time.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
Swampgoat

2004 GTO Owner

Hang in there bro. You'll get it.
Remember always, its just a stupid machine and you can outwit it!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

I'm certainly not feeling that way right now. I've modded a lot of cars but never felt like this. I feel like I've crippled my baby. I'm to the point where I want to tow it to the dealership and have them replace the o rings and hope for the best.

I tried putting new o rings in and no luck. Still dumping fluid. Maybe its the 28 hours I've got tied up in the converter (which was cake) and the header install (which was hang up after hang up and a major pain in the ass), maybe it's my forehead being split open from a socket yesterday, maybe it's the fact that I can barely feel my arms, but I'm at the end of my rope with this thing. Hell I'm half tempted to just say smurf it and drive it and smoke the power steering pump but my wallet disagrees.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Swampgoat

2004 GTO Owner

Been in your shoes; now is time to walk away from it, then hit it fresh.
If you have to have a car, call the local rental guys and drop the 35 bones a day for a ride so you aren't sweating your work/family obligations. The dealer will take you for alot more than 3 days of car rental, and you will be in a better mood after you let the bitch sit for a day.
Drink a few beers, smoke a bud, go swim in the creek...whatever it is you do when it all goes to hell.
I got frustrated with my first header install. You are not the first to go 12/24/48 hours on a fight with a car and be ready to loose it.
I hit it fresh the next day and it all fell into place.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
PokeGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
I'm certainly not feeling that way right now. I've modded a lot of cars but never felt like this. I feel like I've crippled my baby. I'm to the point where I want to tow it to the dealership and have them replace the o rings and hope for the best.

I tried putting new o rings in and no luck. Still dumping fluid. Maybe its the 28 hours I've got tied up in the converter (which was cake) and the header install (which was hang up after hang up and a major pain in the ass), maybe it's my forehead being split open from a socket yesterday, maybe it's the fact that I can barely feel my arms, but I'm at the end of my rope with this thing. Hell I'm half tempted to just say smurf it and drive it and smoke the power steering pump but my wallet disagrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampgoat...View Post
Been in your shoes; now is time to walk away from it, then hit it fresh.
If you have to have a car, call the local rental guys and drop the 35 bones a day for a ride so you aren't sweating your work/family obligations. The dealer will take you for alot more than 3 days of car rental, and you will be in a better mood after you let the bitch sit for a day.
Drink a few beers, smoke a bud, go swim in the creek...whatever it is you do when it all goes to hell.
I got frustrated with my first header install. You are not the first to go 12/24/48 hours on a fight with a car and be ready to loose it.
I hit it fresh the next day and it all fell into place.

I agree with swampgoat. AND I feel your pain! There were 4 of us at that same point yesterday after we saw her dump a qrt of ps fluid on the garage floor! Quick question, isn't the o-ring a tapered o-ring? It sure didn't look like a normal round o-ring to me yesterday. It's thicker at the base (where it butts against the collar on the fitting nipple of the ps line).
Old 06-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

OK, progress (well, enlightenment). The bottom line IS NOT LEAKING. Its the top line. It's leaking after the flare that seats to the o-ring between the nut and the line going through the nut.

O-ring isn't the problem at this point I don't think. Seems like it pretty much has to be a crack in that flare.

Is that the high pressure line or the low pressure return line on top? Right now we're trying to figure out a temporary fix to hold us over until I can get a new line.

Also, any info on replacing the line? How big of a job am I looking at here? Maybe possible to replace with a AN braided line instead for easier install/uninstall later if necessary?

I'm at a total loss now and don't have the slightest clue as to how I can fix this. I'm looking at the way the line routes and it looks to be a MAJOR pain in the ass to replace.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
PokeGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Proof that you are not alone:

We started at 9am yesterday and had it all tore down and the headers in by 12 noon!!! We were all joking around about how smooth it was going. BANG in walks Mr. Newton... bottom ps line went in like butter, BUT cross threaded the top line of the ps going back in and spent 3 hours trying to get it on. Finally got the top line in and fired it up and that is when she puked the ps fluid out the bottom line (oooops, missing o-ring). At this time, EVERYTHING back to the tips was bolted down!!! We sat there with extensions and a 19mm crows foot and pulled the bottom line, put the o-ring on, and THEN had to fight that one going back in!!! We finally finished a little after 8pm last night!!!

Needless to say, I burnt 2 months of kitchen passes to help a buddy out, BUT it was all worth it when I heard about the big SEG that he has been sporting all day today!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #18
PokeGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
It's leaking after the flare that seats to the o-ring between the nut and the line going through the nut.

O-ring isn't the problem at this point I don't think. Seems like it pretty much has to be a crack in that flare.

Is that the high pressure line or the low pressure return line on top? Right now we're trying to figure out a temporary fix to hold us over until I can get a new line.

That's exactly where our's was leaking yesterday when we put it on without the o-ring...
Old 06-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

There is an o-ring there, although not the factory OEM one. The size feels right though. Going to try to go in the morning to get a factory sized o-ring, hopefully a dealership has them in stock, and also do a little magic and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work I'll know for sure it's a cracked line (although I don't see any cracks) and it'll be replacement time.

Is the top line high pressure in or low pressure return?

I hope to God this works. I sure don't want to have to replace that line, well, pay someone to replace it. I'm done wrenching on this car for eternity after this bullshit.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
josh99ta
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

2006 GTO Owner

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!! It was the damn o-ring. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT put the o-ring in the rack then feed the line in. It will most likely not let the line seat correctly. Also, use the right sized o-ring (go to a dealer and get some o-rings or find the right sized one in an assorted back). Put the o-ring ON the tube itself, then thread the tube into the rack. Once it's fully tight push the line forward and pull it back to make sure there is no forward or backward movement in the line and that is seated completely. At that point you should be 100% leak free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: