Symptoms of a bad carrier bearing? Or other DS Issues.. - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 03-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
nsurge

2005 GTO Owner

Symptoms of a bad carrier bearing? Or other DS Issues..

I pulled the tranny to replace a slave, did it in a hurry and didn't mark the bolts on the ds like I usually do. I bolted it back up and torqued everything to like 80 ft lbs. I started getting a vibration in all kinds of speed ranges (not rpm related) and it would get really bad with the clutch in or neutral. (especially 40+) Sounds like thumping / rubbing noises like the biscuit is beating on something... If I'm actually driving in gear with a little throttle it feels nice and smooth, no noise, soon as I let off the gas and coast in gear, or go into neutral, etc. it gets really audible. Its even enough to send a few vibes here and there through the steering wheel too... but not much.

I put it back on jack stands and the rear donut was super wavy between bolts, strange. Anyway so I found the right torque specs and fixed them and attempted to line up the ds and adapters like they were previously. FYI, don't use a sharpie! After driving it some, the donut straightened out, however vibration is still there. (Thread I had about it http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298184)

Then I realized when when I installed new mid-pipes it pulled the cat-back forward and it looked like they donut & diff were VERY close to the pipes. As the sound is kind of a shuddering or beating sound, not so much vibration, so that was plausible, plus that's where the sound is being generated from.

So I beat the pipes in a bit in that area, which gave me plenty of clearance, so I don't think that's the culprit.

Basically I've narrowed it down to the carrier bearing, or the front yoke adapter is still not lined up where it was previously and this caused the ds to be out of balance... I may try to rotate that front again. The rear I found my old markings and got it back in line.

So basically how do I know if the carrier bearing is bad, anyway to test it with the car jacked up? I've never had any vibration issues before, so I know its not the clutch, and my rearend has never whined or had issues either.

Anyone have any other ideas, I've been through a hundred threads on the issue and everyone seems to get lucky and have bolts loose... not my f'ing luck. I've checked them all, including all the half shafts, etc.

Today is the first day its been 70 out and all I want to do is drive the car...

*edit*
I ran the car on jackstands for a bit while peeking underneath, couldn't really tell anything from looking with my hand on a stick pushing the throttle. I did notice the driverside axle seems to make a slight popping/chatter occasionally as it was spinning, but again, its hanging in the air so not sure if that's normal. Both axles move freely back in and out of the inner/outer joints, but the driver side seems to have a very minute play in it towards the outer joint, the wheel will turn very slightly, yet the inner joint doesn't move. The passenger side didn't exhibit this behavior.

I'm stumped... if its this axle, what kind of coincidence is this... I still think its the drive shaft...

05 M6 PBM
Maggie 112, Shorties, Monster 3.5 & Chromoly Fly, Billet Pro, Kings & Pedders, DBA & Hawks, Bassani Exhaust
Maggie Vids

Last edited by nsurge; 03-06-2009 at 12:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
nsurge

2005 GTO Owner

Did two things that appears to have resolved the issue on a short back road test drive. I'll find out a bit later on the interstate and romp on it to double check.

I undid the transmissions support bracket and realigned it with my marks and TORQUED it to 43 ft lbs, which before I just tightened it to whatever felt good. Then I tightened the mount bolts in the middle to 18ft lbs, also which I prob way overtightened before.

Then I moved the tranny output yoke over one on the donut and re-torqued.

No more shuddering/pulsating in neutral, or on decel, I got up to 70 and let it decel all the way down to 35 and nothing, felt like it did before...

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
St.Mary
Because race car

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to St.Mary
Any more on this?

I had the same thing start with me about a week ago and it's been getting progressively worse.

I haven't done anything except drain a little diff fluid and replaced with straight torco because I thought maybe I had a little too much fm in there.

I dont notice anything while accelerating but if I take my foot off the accelerator I get a whirring sound, almost like my tires are rubbing. If I push in the clutch it gets 2x as loud.

I threw the car on jack stands and its definitely coming from around the diff. Sounds like there are rocks in there. I tried adding some more friction modifier but that didnt seem to do anything.

Car feels fine and there is no noticible vibration, but it definitely doesnt sound right.

Any ideas?

2005 QSM - TC78 Front Mount Build - 12.6@116 full weight, M6, street tire, 6psi
Old 03-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
rolinhard316

same problem!

hi so i im having the same problem with my 04 gto m6... i coast in nuetral (45+) and i get a grinding/groan whirring sound from the rear end, my sister said it was more on the right side of the car... it didnt change much making a left turn or right turn... i also get the sound with the clutch in or out... the sound pretty much goes away with my foot on the gas except for a high pitch whine that changes with speed... ideas??
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
6.0L rice eater
The 6 Litre rice eater

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to 6.0L rice eater
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsurge...View Post
Did two things that appears to have resolved the issue on a short back road test drive. I'll find out a bit later on the interstate and romp on it to double check.

I undid the transmissions support bracket and realigned it with my marks and TORQUED it to 43 ft lbs, which before I just tightened it to whatever felt good. Then I tightened the mount bolts in the middle to 18ft lbs, also which I prob way overtightened before.

Then I moved the tranny output yoke over one on the donut and re-torqued.

No more shuddering/pulsating in neutral, or on decel, I got up to 70 and let it decel all the way down to 35 and nothing, felt like it did before...

so did this fix your vibration problem? i have a vibration and i can feel it in the steering wheel as well. it gets worse if i push the clutch it. and i did notice it after i put the scss trans mount it.
Pacesetter longtubes, DMH low profile cutouts, Spintech catback, Ported intake and TB, Aluminum griffin radiator, Team SCSS motor/trans mount, K&N CAI, Built T56, Monter Stage 2 clutch, Tick master, Carbon fiber D/S, 3.91 gears, Gforce 1320 300m stubs, GMM race, DBA drilled and slotted brakes, SS brake lines, Pedders RR bushings, ROH Drift R's 18x8 front 18x10 rear, HSV shocks and struts with king springs. 393 RWHP 386 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: