Gforce Carbon Fiber driveshaft review thread - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Gforce Carbon Fiber driveshaft review thread

Ok guys.. It's time to take a moment to share your install and drivability experiences of the new Gforce Engineering Carbon Fiber Driveshafts.

I know who you are and where you live
If you dont jump in here, I'll send my boys by for a visit, LOL

Ok.. you got me, my boys are only 8 and 10 year olds but I'll send em over, LOL
2005 GTO 1.27 60ft 9.01 @ 149 mph
Follow us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gforc...4909065?ref=hl
gforce1320@gmail.com
www.Gforce1320.com 316-260-8433 or 8439
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
LS2 tiger
VANDALIZED

2005 GTO Owner

OK I'll go first.

The driveshaft came very quickly after the billet yoke. The driveshaft is Carbon Fiber and made by PST. Both the DS and the Yoke are a work of art IMO. Without lab testing these pieces look as though they will handle more than any of us are making in the HP/TQ area so I'll leave it at that.
The install was a breeze and everything fits very tight,with no slack. Make sure y'all grind down the seatbelt bolt and round over the welded nut for extra insurance.
Performance is on par with the quality of the driveshaft.After having two DSS shafts and being shafted by one of them this driveshaft is much nicer(10x) Its well worth the money if you can afford it. If your puting down serious power and TQ you cant afford not to have it......PERIOD..!
When the weather is nice I'll add more input as to its performance at HIGH SPEED. Until then I'm just enjoying the hell out of it.
Hands down a premium part for the GTO.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Thanks Bob, LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Hegulator

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Hegulator
Can you tell me how the "yoke" is bonded to the carbon fiber with these driveshafts?

1 of 252
Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
LS2 tiger
VANDALIZED

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegulator...View Post
Can you tell me how the "yoke" is bonded to the carbon fiber with these driveshafts?

Anceint Chinese Secret........
Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

LOL, not sure what the process is but them dam things are on there for good.

If you ever need one shortened, it has to be chopped off min 3/4 of an inch because the aluminum end is not coming off the tube any other way.

I'm sure it is something along this process.
http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/cut%20&%20bond.html
Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
mk9190
12.21 at 110.81 bolt-ons only

2004 GTO Owner

I have a Gforce1320 CF driveshaft.It is not installed yet,waiting for gears.I can tell you,the quality of the driveshaft and his customer service is top notch!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Hegulator

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Hegulator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce1320...View Post
LOL, not sure what the process is but them dam things are on there for good.

If you ever need one shortened, it has to be chopped off min 3/4 of an inch because the aluminum end is not coming off the tube any other way.

I'm sure it is something along this process.
http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/cut%20&%20bond.html

Interesting! I'm surprised the loctite can hold that much torque, but it obviously works. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
gametech
Omnicidal maniac

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegulator...View Post
Interesting! I'm surprised the loctite can hold that much torque, but it obviously works. Thanks for the tip!

Realize that that is Loctite brand TWO PART EPOXY, as opposed to any regular Loctite blue/red, whatever that you would use to hold fasteners in place. BTW, I'm sure some fuming nitric acid would quickly release the aluminum yoke.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
richiec77

2006 GTO Owner

I have one installed in the GTO now. I've put about 3K+ miles on the set-up and I have 0 complaints to date. I did not do the install since I was overseas when it came in, but from what I was told, it was not that hard to do. Just had to make sure the bolts were ground down to leave adequate clearance for the shaft to rotate.

I have yet to blast down the 1320 myself. Driving around town and even up to 160+ mph (shhhh) I haven't experience any vibration issues which is awesome considering the Driveshaft comes in 2 different shipments. Chris has someone manufacture the Driveshaft itself and he does the Billet Yokes. Considering that it's 2 different shipments and everything is balanced....Very precise manufacturing tolerances.

Speaking on the Yokes....very VERY nice piece of machined AL there. It's art in itself the machining is so well done. I'm impressed by the overall craftsmanship and design of the billet pieces.

Customer Service is an easy 10+. Everything was said and done FROM IRAQ MIND YOU in about 30 minutes overall. Thanks again Chris. So far you are in a very small group of people with customer service I rank this high.

Quality of the parts...so far I've beaten the shit out of them except for launching hard on it and it's taking everything with easy. (TT set-up. 550RWTQ, 540 RWHP). I'll have to split the difference here and say 10 on looks and I'll hold at 8/9'ish until I do a wicked Clutch drop on it and see how it holds up. More than likely, the rest of the car will have issues. Not this driveshaft. I'll wager on the 1/2 shafts going out 1st.

For myself, the reason for getting the Carbon Fiber was the weight savings and the way Chris took care of the sale. It's only about $300 more than an AL piece and easily as strong from what I can tell. I have the rear of the car in the air so I can snap some pics for people if they need more pictures to look at. If you can spare the extra coin, it's worth the price.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Great review!
And I thank you for serving our country..

Here is a pic of your dam nice car that I have on my web site. That thing is sexy!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiec77...View Post
I have one installed in the GTO now. I've put about 3K+ miles on the set-up and I have 0 complaints to date. I did not do the install since I was overseas when it came in, but from what I was told, it was not that hard to do. Just had to make sure the bolts were ground down to leave adequate clearance for the shaft to rotate.

I have yet to blast down the 1320 myself. Driving around town and even up to 160+ mph (shhhh) I haven't experience any vibration issues which is awesome considering the Driveshaft comes in 2 different shipments. Chris has someone manufacture the Driveshaft itself and he does the Billet Yokes. Considering that it's 2 different shipments and everything is balanced....Very precise manufacturing tolerances.

Speaking on the Yokes....very VERY nice piece of machined AL there. It's art in itself the machining is so well done. I'm impressed by the overall craftsmanship and design of the billet pieces.

Customer Service is an easy 10+. Everything was said and done FROM IRAQ MIND YOU in about 30 minutes overall. Thanks again Chris. So far you are in a very small group of people with customer service I rank this high.

Quality of the parts...so far I've beaten the shit out of them except for launching hard on it and it's taking everything with easy. (TT set-up. 550RWTQ, 540 RWHP). I'll have to split the difference here and say 10 on looks and I'll hold at 8/9'ish until I do a wicked Clutch drop on it and see how it holds up. More than likely, the rest of the car will have issues. Not this driveshaft. I'll wager on the 1/2 shafts going out 1st.

For myself, the reason for getting the Carbon Fiber was the weight savings and the way Chris took care of the sale. It's only about $300 more than an AL piece and easily as strong from what I can tell. I have the rear of the car in the air so I can snap some pics for people if they need more pictures to look at. If you can spare the extra coin, it's worth the price.

Very good initial review. Thanks for sharing your opinions and comments. My CF shaft is being sent out today and Chris' worked diff is already FedEx'd out. Both should be here by end of week. Woot!!!!

Have to agree with you on Chris's level of service to date. Very reachable, responsive and informative.

Looking forward to seeing how your setup performs when you really push it. Keep us updated

2006 SRM, A4, 1900 TVS, plus other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan...View Post
"The problem is this texting crap has spelling down to retard shorthand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaguy........
"No, I am not drunk; but, I may have been over-served"

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
sjsan12

2006 GTO Owner

Of all the parts I have sitting in boxes waiting to be installed, the shaft is by far the sexiest.

Tax season is officially over!!! Now I can get back to work on the car.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
ODE
= Ol Dirty Ed

2006 GTO Owner

We need some M6 reviews. I've heard that the CF does not hold well for M6 cars but I am hoping that is false cause I want one!!

New LOVE "Zena is SexZ ViciouZ":09 Corvette Z06 3LZ CyberGrey,2tone titanium int.
MODS:Pfadt front sway,Lowered/LG coilovers,D2Forged wheels/color matched center,HalltechCAI

A KALTECH BEAZT-CAM,milled heads,valve job,headers=563rwhp/473rwtrq

1st Love "Vicious" Now w/CamaroAl+LS1Melissa:06 IBM/blue M6 18s 1/262(5/2/06)
450RWHP/395TRQ(mustang)
MODS:KALTECH T4P H/C+alot="BUILT",
PB12.27@113.6 1.69 60CAM only.Never got it in after H/C
Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
richiec77

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousImpulse...View Post
We need some M6 reviews. I've heard that the CF does not hold well for M6 cars but I am hoping that is false cause I want one!!

As soon as I get thru this ridiculously Bad-luck sprinkled Wilwood Swap I'll be able to do a clutch drop at say 4K or so and we'll see what happens. That all depends on the weather though. They are calling for T-Storm level of rain thru late Saturday. I'll be on a plane back to Chicago early Saturday morning. God I wish this damn brake install would be done. (I'm looking for a replacement 3/8-24 AL 12 point nut. Damn near impossible to find around here. I might have to ask someone who works at the airfields to snag me one)
Old 04-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

The BIG BROWN TRUCK just dropped off a long, somewhat narrow, package. Hmmmmmm wonder what it is
Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
TrakDay
Blowed Up...

2004 GTO Owner

The sexiest piece of work you will be installing! And yes it is sexier than an LSX block and FTI converter... LOL
32psi...

SOLD
2004 GTO 1 of 1
408-Twin GT42R-SRA
Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #18
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

I was hoping the big red box would show up first but oh well
Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #19
ODE
= Ol Dirty Ed

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
As soon as I get thru this ridiculously Bad-luck sprinkled Wilwood Swap I'll be able to do a clutch drop at say 4K or so and we'll see what happens. That all depends on the weather though. They are calling for T-Storm level of rain thru late Saturday. I'll be on a plane back to Chicago early Saturday morning. God I wish this damn brake install would be done. (I'm looking for a replacement 3/8-24 AL 12 point nut. Damn near impossible to find around here. I might have to ask someone who works at the airfields to snag me one)

Cool man sounds good! Sometimes finding one damn piece is the hardest thing on the planet...so annoying!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
richiec77

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD...View Post
The BIG BROWN TRUCK just dropped off a long, somewhat narrow, package. Hmmmmmm wonder what it is

That's one hell of a Dildo man.

You left yourself Wide open!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
BTEliminatorII
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Thumbs up

I purchased the CF shaft/yoke and level II shafts for my 05' M6 (450/400rwhp). Cust. service is top notch and everything was delivered as promised with tracking #'s. I had the yoke and true trac/gears installed at a drive train specialty shop outside Detroit and they were very impressed with the billet yoke .
After cutting the rear bolts flush I also ground part of the curved oval washer for additional clearance. I also pushed the parking brake cable bracket up slightly towards to tunnel for more clearance there.
The shaft itself was a perfect fit and is secured to the rear yoke with a Spicer (Made in USA) U Bolt kit. I was unable to use the top loop of the BMR DS loop due to clearance but may fit if reworked some.
I will post next week as far as performance as I still need an alignment before I flog it but I'm sure the tranny/clutch (Z06) is now the "weak link" It's just too bad that you can't appreciate these parts rolling down the road but I know!!!
Thanks Chris!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #22
richiec77

2006 GTO Owner

1 Positive side of a Carbon fiber drive shaft is when they break, they sweep teh underside of the car. So running a driveshaft loop isn't a bad idea, but isn't totally necessary.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #23
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Yep, if one of these would ever break (they dont break they unravel), it just unravels in big poof of dust.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #24
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
That's one hell of a Dildo man.

You left yourself Wide open!!!!!!

I hate it when I do that
Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
I was hoping the big red box would show up first but oh well

The BIG RED BOX just arrived Just in time for my "working vacation" next week..........................working on SPICEY
Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #26
BTEliminatorII
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Ya, Well if I break this CF Shaft then I shall where it as a "Badge of Honor" My issue is eliminating wheel hop on an M6 with decent HP. Although it seems that it is a combination of drive line parts that cause it, the stock drive shaft and half shafts seem to be the main culprit, along with tires and springs. I have addressed these issues and will post asap. Still need to roll rear wheel well lips and align suspension.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD...View Post
The BIG RED BOX just arrived Just in time for my "working vacation" next week..........................working on SPICEY

I assume the new rear arrived safe and sound in my new shipping container? Sure beats building a box, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTEliminatorII...View Post
Ya, Well if I break this CF Shaft then I shall where it as a "Badge of Honor" My issue is eliminating wheel hop on an M6 with decent HP. Although it seems that it is a combination of drive line parts that cause it, the stock drive shaft and half shafts seem to be the main culprit, along with tires and springs. I have addressed these issues and will post asap. Still need to roll rear wheel well lips and align suspension.

Yes, let us know on the wheel hop. Would like to know if it goes away with our c/f shaft and half shafts.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #28
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
I assume the new rear arrived safe and sound in my new shipping container? Sure beats building a box, LOL

I just opened it up about 20 mins. ago. You're right about not having to build a crate. They are a PITA. I'm going to try and send back my diff tomorrow, or Wed. at the latest.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #29
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Joey, dont forget to snap a few pics for the folks of your install
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #30
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Oh no problem there, Chris. I already planned to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: