intake manifold knocking??? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

intake manifold knocking???

so i took my 06 gto to the track on friday for the first time ever. the car ran great but the next morning i was giving my buddy a jump cuz his battery died and i noticed a knocking noise comming from my intake manifold. i shut down the car and looked thru my t/b and didnt see any thing inside so im asuming that its comming from one of the chambers up top. it gets more progressive with with more gas too. i know its comming from the manifold because i can feel something hitting the top of it while the car is ideling. any one have any idea what could be causing this?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
mygto

2005 GTO Owner

I would say a bearing is spun and a rod is knocking. Rebuild time...

"Yea though I walk through a valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo import, for Procharger & LS7 art with me"

www.fquick.com/mygto
Old 10-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

would you be able to feel that thru the intake manifold though? the car only has 36000 miles on it and a full exhaust and cold air intake with a tune from superchips hand held tuner.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
racerX1214
p00p

2004 GTO Owner

There are no moving parts inside your intake manifold, I say spun bearing as well.

2013 Camaro 1LE, Antennas and shit to run with.
2003 BMW 330Ci straight foreign trash.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

so what all is a rebuild going to entail? and what bearing would be spun? i know a little bit about cars just havent had to troubleshoot a problem like this befor.

Last edited by LS2goatkid; 10-25-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
discofreak
Banned

Send a message via AIM to discofreak
*entail
Old 10-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

so what all would go in to this rebuild that i need?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
racerX1214
p00p

2004 GTO Owner

Qty (1) of LS2.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
hivoltagedriver

2006 GTO Owner

Do you hear it with the hood closed. Is in a solid Knocking sound, or more of a ticking? It is common for the valve train on these cars to sound like a sewing machine. Mine makes an audible ticking sound, and it sounds like it is coming from the intake when the car is running with the hood open. Have you noticed it being down on power or anything strange? Also, the injectors are mounted in the intake, and can make a ticking noise.
Show: 4300K TRS HIDs, LED fogs, VG Sharkfin, GXP diffuser, 10% tint, debadged, polished CTS-V wheels.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
dschenke

and when u rev it does the noise inscrease aswell?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
JJD49
PRO EDGE / MONGILLO MOTORS

2005 GTO Owner

Premium MemberPremium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2goatkid...View Post
so i took my 06 gto to the track on friday for the first time ever. the car ran great but the next morning i was giving my buddy a jump cuz his battery died and i noticed a knocking noise comming from my intake manifold. i shut down the car and looked thru my t/b and didnt see any thing inside so im asuming that its comming from one of the chambers up top. it gets more progressive with with more gas too. i know its comming from the manifold because i can feel something hitting the top of it while the car is ideling. any one have any idea what could be causing this?

Does sound like a rod bearing. Your intake manifold is hollow and it will act like a echo chamber for internal noises
Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

well i can only hear it with the hood open. it sounds like a knocking and i can feel it on the front 2 chambers of the manifold. it feels normal on power but i havent really gotten on it since friday. and yes when i rev it the noise speeds up.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
sulldaddy
awesome at spending money

2006 GTO Owner

i had the same sound ur talking about and it was indeed a spun rod bearing. i had 15k miles. as stated above pull the valve covers check for little stuff first then time to pull the motor and either rebuild or buy a new shortblock.
fast 57 lbs injectors
lingenfelter fuel pump kit
ais meth kit
Built TH400
3600 stall
T-brake msd 2-step
and a bunch of other stuff

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382108 (dyno vid and results)

Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
Nmbr1GMfan
Frantically Modding

This may sound retarded but if anything gets trapped under the intake or a valley bolt backs out it will knock like a rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPvVmfEhhgI

;====-
!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #15
sonofgasguy
never had a car this good

2006 GTO Owner

I've owned two goats and both make a little tick tick sound that I've never been able to run down. sounds like valve train noise. but damn, if yours has started knocking and you can hear and feel it in the manifold, that's not normal.
2006 CGM A4 18" (built 5/06) 1:269
347 RWHP/345 RWTQ
Kooks 1 3/4" LT's w/ hi-flow cats, magnaflow cat-back, Diablosport custom tune, Volant CAI, Vector HSRK, GForce level 2 half shafts and bolt-together inner stubs, Pedders Street II, SLP skid plate, SAP repro grills, wingless, polished billet arrowheads

1968 Firebird Convertible
Aluetian Blue ext., Deluxe Teal int., White top
No.s matching 350-2v and Super Turbine 300 (2 sp.)auto, 14" Rally IIs

Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #16
Doc GTO
Doc, Just Doc

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Doc GTO Send a message via Yahoo to Doc GTO
Maybe a bent or broken pushrod. Did you over rev or mis-shift the car at the track?

Current Rides: 2011 CTS-V Coupe 6xx/6xx RW#s & 2002 E46 M3 Bimmerworld Track Car
Sold but not forgotten . . .
2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911S, 2009 Audi S5 V8 Coupe AND
2004 Monaro CV8Z - TSP 370/TH400/TFS235s/TVS2300 @ 18lbs
10.26 at 134w/ 1.55 60ft (T&T)
Old 10-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
BLITZD247
IM GOING FOR BROKE

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

My buddy has the same issue. after ripping his heads off we found a collapsed lifter and a bad push rod. if you have basic mechanic skills. pull the valve cover off then the rockers and check your push rods, then go from there. the lifter that was collapsed left all kinds of ware on the push rod.

05 IBM/BLUE A4 1 OF 41
www.fquick.com/blitzd247
FORGED 377 | DIAMOND PISTONS | CALLIES MAGNUM XL CRANK | CALLIES I BEAM RODS | MOREL | TVS2300 | 1:1 COGS | INNOVATORS WEST 8 RIB | 8.8 CONVERSION | TRUTRAK | POWER CHAMBER | DEVILS OWN METH INJECTION | NITRO DAVES 102 PLATE SYSTEM | CCW SP500 | PRC 237'S | ECS BLOWER CAM | ECS TENSIONER | EXTREME COIL OVERS | CORSA | DMH | ABEAR | FIC 1000 INJECTORS | AFCO | WILWOOD BBK | CUSTOM FUEL SYSTEM | AUTOFORM HOOD | MAVMAN CARBON | SCSS
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan...View Post
This may sound retarded but if anything gets trapped under the intake or a valley bolt backs out it will knock like a rod.

thats what i am thinking. because its a definitive feeling when you put your hand on the manifold. the only thing is that it gets progressivly faster with more throttle. im going to pull the valve covers off and i will get back with everyone and let you know what i come up with.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
LS2goatkid

2006 GTO Owner

it is deffinatly making a knocking noise. it isnt a ticking. its much louder and it sounds like its comming from the top end. i crawled under the car cuz i figured that if it was a bearing i would be able to hear it better from under it but that wasnt the case.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
westell

2004 GTO Owner

got a stethoscope ? Or, put your ear to a long screwdriver.

I'd guess collapsed lifter, bent pushrod. Easy to check. I'd start at the loudest point.

These aluminum block & head, with a plastic manifold make noises travel. I had a noise I'd swear was a roller rocker but ended up being a lifter. Noise travelling all the way up.
2004 PBM, M6, Kooks LTs, Magnaflows, SLP L/M I, K&N CAI, Z06 MAF, Comp Cam (HPEs S Cam grind), .623/.628 Lift @ 115 LSA, 1:75 Comp Rollers,
GMPP Lifters, Comp Rods, Seats, Retainers, Tune by Chuck, Heads & Balancing by C.A.M., Spec 2+ Clutch, Fly, Thunder Racing Catch Can, MSD 8.5's, NGK, Nittos
Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 AM   #21
Jaime Lannister

I love how people just assume spun rod bearing in every situation. Bottom line is if his car is basically stock, he takes care of it (regular oil changes, checks oil level), the odds of a spun rod bearing after 36k are low. Its probably something up top like a lifter or pushrod as stated by a couple of members. I would take a video and post it as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
westell

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchicia1...View Post
I love how people just assume spun rod bearing in every situation. Bottom line is if his car is basically stock, he takes care of it (regular oil changes, checks oil level), the odds of a spun rod bearing after 36k are low. Its probably something up top like a lifter or pushrod as stated by a couple of members. I would take a video and post it as well.

There's also unknowns, too. Was he low on oil ? Did he add 1 quart ? I do, at the track. Did he bounce it off the limiter, miss a shift ?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #23
goatryder08

I had this problem after installing a ported intake, i made the mistake for lack of a better word and reused the old gaskets which were only 38000 miles old, i dont know if one got pinched on the plastic lip when i torqued the intake down or what happen but one of the gaskets ripped in half and air was shooting through the gap making a solid knocking or ticking noise comming from the intake valley, i too figured it was time for a rebuild but i decided to pull the intake first because that was the last thing i had off and discovered the bad intake gasket. Replaced all the gaskets and there was the problem.

2003 50th Anniversary z06 (New Toy)
Old 10-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #24
goatryder08

Also, after 14000 miles on pacesetter headers my header gasket on the passenger side went bad and i was knocking horribly not making a hiss as they usually do, i figured the motor was shot and parked it, a few days later i was getting ready to disasemble and restarted the engine to check things out, after moving all around the car and using a long screwdriver to my ear the only thing i found was it was comming from the passenger side rear cylinder, for some reason i decided to stick my hand back there and it instantly nearly burned my finger. I shut the engine off and let it cool for about 30 minutes, started it up and put my hand back there and found that the header gasked was blow out in the back and the air was shooting out the hole in the gasket making a knock, not a hiss, or a tick. This may sound stupid but i had a mechanic look at it briefly before i parked it and he too said time for a rebuild. Ive never heard a sound like that come from a bad header gasket, but if it cracks or blows out a certian way air can make funny noises when being shot out of the engine that fast. Just another thing to check before you start tearing into things only to find nothing.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
sulldaddy
awesome at spending money

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatryder08...View Post
I had this problem after installing a ported intake, i made the mistake for lack of a better word and reused the old gaskets which were only 38000 miles old, i dont know if one got pinched on the plastic lip when i torqued the intake down or what happen but one of the gaskets ripped in half and air was shooting through the gap making a solid knocking or ticking noise comming from the intake valley, i too figured it was time for a rebuild but i decided to pull the intake first because that was the last thing i had off and discovered the bad intake gasket. Replaced all the gaskets and there was the problem.

how loud was it? im just wondering bc i think i had a very similar problem to the op and my knock was very loud and increased with revs. i checked everything and pulled the heads and there was wonderful debris in the oil and everything it was a joy.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #26
SOFAKINGGR8
DICPLINE YOUR DISSAPPOINTMENT

2006 GTO Owner

I have a tick as well that is similiar in every way except that it goes away apon increasing revs above 2500k. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side (cyl 6 or 8)
I pulled the heads and had them pressure tested. I also checked the push rods, springs, valves, piston faces, rockers, and replaced the lifters with new Ls7's. Cleaned and inspected my cometic gaskets. Sprayed them with copper coat, and buttoned everything back up. At initial start up there is no ticking. But once the car reaches operation temp and i rev it... theres the tick. If i continue to rev it, eventually the tick becomes consistant without reving. . I've also diconnected each coil pack (unloading each cylinder) to see if the noise will go away of get quieter. Nothing changed.

THought!? Could this be an exhaust leak
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
racerX1214
p00p

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFAKINGGR8...View Post
I have a tick as well that is similiar in every way except that it goes away apon increasing revs above 2500k. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side (cyl 6 or 8)
I pulled the heads and had them pressure tested. I also checked the push rods, springs, valves, piston faces, rockers, and replaced the lifters with new Ls7's. Cleaned and inspected my cometic gaskets. Sprayed them with copper coat, and buttoned everything back up. At initial start up there is no ticking. But once the car reaches operation temp and i rev it... theres the tick. If i continue to rev it, eventually the tick becomes consistant without reving. . I've also diconnected each coil pack (unloading each cylinder) to see if the noise will go away of get quieter. Nothing changed.

THought!? Could this be an exhaust leak

Spark plugs tight?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
SOFAKINGGR8
DICPLINE YOUR DISSAPPOINTMENT

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214...View Post
Spark plugs tight?

I usually get spark plugs hand tight, and then a half turn with a socket... pretty sure their good. Honestly, I really just need to rule out short block issues. If i have to buy new header gaskets thats a way cheaper fix. Do exhaust leaks generally get quiet when reving past a certain rpm?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #29
NYTIGER

2005 GTO Owner

What the outcome from the original poster?

PB ET with TTP Punisher Cam, Fast92, Headers, 3200 rpm stall, 11.400 @ 116.66 mph; 7.252 @ 93.26 1/8; 1.611 60' on M/T DR's and still with stock heads and 3.46 gears
Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
racerX1214
p00p

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFAKINGGR8...View Post
I usually get spark plugs hand tight, and then a half turn with a socket... pretty sure their good. Honestly, I really just need to rule out short block issues. If i have to buy new header gaskets thats a way cheaper fix. Do exhaust leaks generally get quiet when reving past a certain rpm?

No that's why I said plugs.

I had a noise swore it was smurfin internal, would start when warm, tick from idle to like 3k then go away, it was my 7 hole plug was loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: