Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Forced Induction

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

GTO Super Chiller Almost Ready!

Check this out custom fit to GTO 1 bolt installation for Chiller. Comes pre assembled and tested, complete kit for Maggie. No cutting or drilling new holes, no AC hoses. Hand made custom O ring AC fittings where possible. Stealth look, out of the way should not interfere with engine work. Pressure and vacuum tested for 24hr. Made on a jig for good fit first time. Does require a little bending of existing lines for good fit.

With or without digital temp gauge kit or upgrade to analog custom SCSS GTO Gauge kit. Also available AC drain line with valve to temporarily stop drain at track.

The one in pics is 4th prototype and needs the expansion valve adjusted but is basic idea of setup. They will have aluminum lines, aluminum mount bracket, stainless steal chiller, heater hose, hose clamps, fitting and instructions.

Engine was off for several hrs and pump running.

This shows actual water temp going into blower! Dropped 40deg with engine at operating temp but Iím sure 50 to 60deg will be no problem when finished. You can see hose sweating from cold.

Hose from front IC runs along top of frame rail out of sight.

Cold hose runs around strut tower along with existing wiring.

Should not take more than 1.5 hr to install + evacuate and recharge.

I may be offering a GTO adjustable expansion valve and aftermarket drier also. My AC never did cool 100%
I would say 75 Ė 80%. I bought an aftermarket adjustable valve and AC is 110% now.

Iím looking for a sponsor to sell and a shop to evaluate performance. Really the purpose of this product is to make cold water. The performance gain will depend on a good AC system, how well Heat Exchanger in blower works and how much heat the blower makes. Iím open to any suggestions at this point. This is what I wanted for my car so if itís something you want for your GTO speak up now before everything is finalized. Iím hoping to have them shipping in time for Xmas. I canít say for sure but I would think an introductory price for first few would be in order.
Trek Actual :-)ASE 35 + yrs. Mechanic---- RED SAP GRILs, STOCK LS2, MONSTER LEVEL 3.5, LEVEL4 next?, KOOKS, G-Force 1320 AXLEs, STUBs, SUPER CHILLER, MAGGIE 112, ALKY.COM, KB BAP, ELITE CATCH CAN, NOLTEC, HARROP, BMR, MAGNAFLOW, HOTCHKIS BARs, JHP POD, HP TUNERS, PLX WIDE BAND, BLUE TOOTH,06 DOOR LOCK, RADIO CONTROLS & TAILS.

HOME OF THE SUPER CHILLER

Facebook
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
J Burna
The Peacemaker

2006 GTO Owner

This Looks amazing. Anything speacial for us procharger guys with air to air intercoolers?

Our hobby makes no sense honestly.
Steel Chicken
Not driving your GTO to keep miles off of it is like not having sex with your girlfriend so her next boyfriend will appreciate it more.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
DA05GOAT

2005 GTO Owner

How hard would it be to install a three way valve to control the flow of the refrigerant in the liquid line. This way you could flip a switch and have a/c only, or chiller only. Also, if you have the system set to chiller only, then you would not have to worry about the drain.

2011 Supersonic Blue Z06 3LZ
2005 Cyclone Gray M6 SOLD 8/27/2011
Old 11-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
J Burna
The Peacemaker

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA05GOAT...View Post
How hard would it be to install a three way valve to control the flow of the refrigerant in the liquid line. This way you could flip a switch and have a/c only, or chiller only. Also, if you have the system set to chiller only, then you would not have to worry about the drain.

Definetly a needed component
Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Burna...View Post
This Looks amazing. Anything speacial for us procharger guys with air to air intercoolers?

Thanx, I have an idea about adding a cooler but you probably donít have room for it.

Quote:

I donít recommend that so not going to offer running just chiller. Your AC system is too big to run just the chiller. I could add an electric valve to turn off chiller but donít see the point in it. If you run your AC on low fan and recalculate it wonít make much water and will max out the chiller. Besides just think going down track with AC on DVD playing and talking on phone LOL
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
DA05GOAT

2005 GTO Owner

What is the BTU rating of the heat exchanger that you are using?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
What is the BTU rating of the heat exchanger that you are using?

I donít have the BTU info in front of me. I chose this model to fit into the limited space of GTO.
I didnít want to run AC hoses all over or cut up the GTO hoses at all. The adapter is simple and gets the job done but with this design the only way to put in a 3 way valve would be a solenoid inside the adapter, which would be extremely expensive to develop. There are solenoid valves that open or close for a line. Problem is there is no line for evaporator, only for chiller. Now if some one wanted to cut up the existing lines and make something completely different you could use 2 off the shelf solenoids that simply open and close. Solenoids alone are expensive and cutting up the car never appealed to me.
GTO has a variable output compressor, Iím no engineer but Iím not comfortable running all the Freon through just the chiller.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
LSXGOAT

2006 GTO Owner

I really like how sleek this setup is!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric...View Post
I like my dinner hot, thankyouverymuch.

I was waiting for that one.

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
2014 Cruze Eco w/ my balls in spacious glove compartment
fquick
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
DNTMPME
"The Hammer"

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to DNTMPME
Quote:
I like my dinner hot, thankyouverymuch.

Does the air conditioning unit need to be running for this device to work?

I was about to ask the same question... At our track it is against the rules to run the AC due to condensation build up and water in the staging lanes and burn out box. I'm not sure how this would work without the AC on but I thought it would be a valid question anyways...
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yes ac on, I think these are more of a street product. Like I said I will have a drain tube available to turn of the drain inside fender well on RF. I can’t wait to try it, just think water going into blower at 40deg. I don’t know what that will bring air temp to but has to help. I love driving my car on nice 55deg days. I will comment on the 3 way valve setup later tonight with more info.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGOAT...View Post
I really like how sleek this setup is!!!

Thank you! That was exactly what my goal is. Not there yet but next pics will be a lot closer and not look so cobbled together.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
DNTMPME
"The Hammer"

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to DNTMPME
Quote:
Even on the street, it's only viable short of WOT. At WOT, the A/C clutch disengages, no?

You are correct sir...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Perdieu
da slow kid of the bunch

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Perdieu
Quote:
Even on the street, it's only viable short of WOT. At WOT, the A/C clutch disengages, no?

yes it will shut off
but you can by pass it so it don't
a 1L pop bottle works great to catch the drain off..

and yes I race with the AC on in the summer when it's 100+ LOL
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
JJD49
PRO EDGE / MONGILLO MOTORS

2005 GTO Owner

Premium MemberPremium Member

Very nice set up. Very clean and uncluttered.

Dumb question. Do you see any future problems with gaskets or warping of any kind. Having an ice cold intake is a great idea but it will come in contact with a very hot motor. Just a thought

Last edited by JJD49; 11-10-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Steel Chicken
Cthulhu's IT D1r3ktФя

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Looking nice!
If love to do some back to backs on the dyno...I see super high temps when I do multiple runs.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
6speedMagee

2005 GTO Owner

looks like a promising setup. Im in south florida so its always hot and see hot temps at just idle. i would love to see some back to back dynos as well.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name...

2004 GTO Owner

The water temps are like a humans oxygen debt...you pay it back on the ride back to the line.

http://gasoilandtires.com/gto

http://ribbonprinting.com http://mrbucks.com/
Seasidegoats Member (2007 Pres.)
Old 11-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

I see it in HPT but I have no experience with how well HPT works with AC settings but I would set it to say 5K to turn off and never with TPS. With your air on you would know if itís cold or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD49...View Post
Very nice set up. Very clean and uncluttered. Do you see any future problems with gaskets or warping of any kind. Having an ice cold intake is a great idea but it will come in contact with a very hot motor. Just a thought

Thank you,
Only the heat exchanger portion will be cold I donít think it will be cold enough to damage anything. The Ford guys have been using similar unit since 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chicken...View Post
Looking nice!
If love to do some back to backs on the dyno...I see super high temps when I do multiple runs.

Thank You, Iím looking forward to that also. Just think how this would help your tuner; they have to deal with that big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedMagee...View Post
looks like a promising setup. Iím in south Florida so itís always hot and see hot temps at just idle. I would love to see some back to back dynos as well.

Thank you, Iím in St Pete. Seems like if nothing else the advantage while waiting to stage, during staging and your 60 the lower temps would be huge advantage.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

For those that insist on a 3 way valve this is how I would do it. I can make this with hard lines no problem but I will not support it. I donít want to use my car as a test bed since Iím not interested in it. If some one wants to do this on there own I would help no guarantee of any kind. If I get a sponsor that wants to support this I have no problem with that. I just canít afford to buy a compressor on the small amount of mark up on this project. I donít plan on getting rich on selling a few Supper Chiller kits, just something I want to try. I took my car apart again last night to work on the fixture. I will make another adjustment on EXP valve and give it another try. By that time I plan on driving my car and logging some intake temps, seat of the pants logs and chiller temps!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #21
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Thanks to all for the interest I should say don’t PM me for price info or to pre order? There won’t be any sales until I have a sponsor. I am trying hard to get one of my favorite sponsors to test the Supper Chiller.
There may be a total redesign in the works that will nearly double the size. So I will have the one above or upgrade to large. Both will still be in the same basic location with simple installation.

Comments above have really got me thinking about working without cabin AC. So at some point I will be testing that also.
I have my warehouse trying to source a lower price on 12V AC solenoids so it can be controlled with a switch inside.
I still don’t see the point in turning off chiller. It should be good to have both running or just the chiller. That will still be an expensive option but it will lay out clean still no
AC hose!

Last edited by TrekGTO; 11-13-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
carsaficionado

2006 GTO Owner

wow good luck keep us posted.................
Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #23
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to HunterKiller89
So, this is effectively the same product Killer Chiller offers...except a smaller unit?
Looks great btw...definitely very clean and factory looking.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name...

2004 GTO Owner

this will force the price of the killer to be more market competative....hur smurfin ay!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Non-Sponsor-Engineering
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89...View Post
So, this is effectively the same product Killer Chiller offers...except a smaller unit?
Looks great btw...definitely very clean and factory looking.

There are several distinct and very important differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden...View Post
this will force the price of the killer to be more market competative....hur smurfin ay!

There is no price posted for this product so it may actually be higher........There are several things that our sytem offers that this one,in its current stage does not.Im sure there will be enuff room for both types if they both prove to work.I love seeing options and will look foward to more results and facts on this unit as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
DA05GOAT

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO...View Post
Thanks to all for the interest I should say donít PM me for price info or to pre order? There wonít be any sales until I have a sponsor. I am trying hard to get one of my favorite sponsors to test the Supper Chiller.
There may be a total redesign in the works that will nearly double the size. So I will have the one above or upgrade to large. Both will still be in the same basic location with simple installation.

Comments above have really got me thinking about working without cabin AC. So at some point I will be testing that also.
I have my ware house trying to source a lower price on 12V AC solenoids so it can be controlled with a switch inside.
I still donít see the point in turning off chiller. It should be good to have both running or just the chiller. That will still be an expensive option but it will lay out clean still no
AC hose!

I was thinking about this a lot over the last two days. If the cooler was sized to match the capacity of the compressor, you would not have to worry about flood-back to the compressor. I think that having two sol. valves would be the best bet. You could have both a/c and chiller, or just one. If you ran the chiller only, you would not have to worry about condensation from the system. If it was 30 deg outside, you could run the defrost (a/c) only and not overcool the water for the intercooler.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
Artoo
formerly Farsighted770

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Artoo Send a message via Yahoo to Artoo
thats slick! i'd love to see the final production model!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 AM   #28
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to HunterKiller89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Sponsor-Engineering...View Post
There are several distinct and very important differences

such as? Im willing to learn. lol
Old 11-13-2009, 04:26 AM   #29
TrekGTO
05 GTO 1 of 71 0.64%

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I think that having two sol. valves would be the best bet. You could have both a/c and chiller, or just one. If you ran the chiller only, you would not have to worry about condensation from the system. If it was 30 deg outside, you could run the defrost (a/c) only and not overcool the water for the intercooler.

Oh youíre killing me here! You are absolutely correct I didnít think about defroster. I was thinking in terms you donít run AC when itís cold, in Fl we just donít have the severe needs as seen north. That said The H/E is rated to -350 so thatís not a problem lets say ambient air is 32deg so the H/E in blower is 35-40deg how much lower do you think Chiller would make it? Iím not looking forward to testing that one. LOL

Current plans are to make one above as an entry model no solenoids, I still think the capacity is plenty for most. The large model Iím working on now will stand upright from frame rail to the outside of EXP block. The adapter has to be very different so there will be pipes in the space above model sits and yes there will be enough pipes to add 2 solenoids! I have solenoids on order as of 8am yesterday just for you. Still I will have to test this B4 saying itís safe. I want to see how the compressor reacts; I will mount AC gauges inside car and watch pressures as well as water temps. The water temp gauge Iím using has high/low recall.
This will add time to release date.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #30
slow

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to slow
the system will chill the full IC coolant system, so even AC off it should be cooler than ambient for a wot run.

you do not want to run your AC compressor at wot, the reason for the wot cutoff is more than just to free up power.

Ryan
Sold: 1998 WS6 M6 #370 Bright Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: