ABS Brake Delete - Who's Done It? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Brakes

Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

ABS Brake Delete - Who's Done It?

Already did a search and only a scant few threads out there on the topic and nothing specific.

My First Goat has a manual brake conversion kit, but I'd like to retain PBs. Also saw SJM's F-body ABS Brake Delete kit, but it's not plug and play for the GTOs.

So has anyone removed their ABS hardware and just run power brakes? If so, any details you care to share would be much appreciated. Pics even better

Thanks

2006 SRM, A4, 1900 TVS, plus other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan...View Post
"The problem is this texting crap has spelling down to retard shorthand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaguy........
"No, I am not drunk; but, I may have been over-served"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
drawk04
Stands Alone

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to drawk04
that sounds like a lot of work. i have a better idea,....the speed sensors by the rear end that read the magnets on the axles....just take them off or just misaligned them a little...disables the abs.
04 PBM M6 Mille Miglia EV-S 18s K&N FIPK Intake,SLP Loud Mouth 1, 06 brakes,LS7 Clutch, Kooks 1 3/4's,3.91's, Kaaz LSD, Harrop,BMR One Piece,GForce Axles/Stubs,Lovells Eliminator 20mm drop,NGK IX Plugs,Russel SS Lines, HP Tuners Tune. JL Audio XR650 CXi speakers,Alpine V-Power 4 channel 600 watt amp, Kenwood DPX502 head unit. Black 05 Style Faces w/shiftlight activation.SCSS Gauge Pod.GMM Race.DDM 5K HID's.

92 Honda Accord EX 5 Speed.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04...View Post
that sounds like a lot of work. i have a better idea,....the speed sensors by the rear end that read the magnets on the axles....just take them off or just misaligned them a little...disables the abs.

Your suggestion would solve 1/2 of the overall goal. The other half is weight reduction/more room in the engine bay
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Send a message via AIM to miker Send a message via MSN to miker Send a message via Yahoo to miker
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04...View Post

You still have all that extra line too.
- RE-11s, V2 Brembos, Coilovers, Bushings, Fastrack, Swaybars, ARP Studs, 15lbs Braille
- Manual 4l65e, Anti-Hop Axles, 3.5" Alum DS, TrueTrac, 3.73s, Harrop Cover, Sparco Evo2s
- Ron Davis Radiator, Derale PS/Trans Coolers, JBiz CatchCan, Russell Lines, AeroForce, Bel RX65
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Canada
Looking for 10s

2005 GTO Owner

I heard you can remove it but still need to have the connection plugged in. When the car does a system check and its not plugged in, the car wont start. I've never messed with it and like you I'm trying to get more info on it. I replied in Frank's thread but haven't heard any responses back.

Beta Tester for Mavrick Man Carbon
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
My First GTO
Banned

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGoat...View Post
I heard you can remove it but still need to have the connection plugged in. When the car does a system check and its not plugged in, the car wont start. I've never messed with it and like you I'm trying to get more info on it. I replied in Frank's thread but haven't heard any responses back.

just call me....frank
Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by My First GTO...View Post
just call me....frank

Frank, I'll talk with you this weekend. Looking forward to meeting you in person.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
My First GTO
Banned

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD...View Post
Frank, I'll talk with you this weekend. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Us to Joe Looks to be a Great weekend....Frank
Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
sergo
Bamanana

2005 GTO Owner

damn i was hoping to get some info out of this.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Jasper Jones

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Bump for any info.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
GTO Eric

2005 GTO Owner

I am more then likely going to be deleting mine. I went to relocate it then got pissed at it.
I contacted SJM to see if they had any solutions/tips for me.

I am going to be separating the abs computer from the pump/block and tucking it away to keep the computer happy and keep Traction control.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The plumbing side of this aint hard. Its already front/rear split coming of the master cyl to the ABS block. So really, you just need a "y" block to connect the lines. If i was doing it, id add in adjustable proportioners to set the brake balance.

Electrical side, If the PCM wants a CAN packet, you need to keep the module. If its checking for voltage or ground on a certain circuit, thats doable with out the module. But, It seems frank may have an answer to that.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
Jasper Jones

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnie the Goat...View Post
The plumbing side of this aint hard. Its already front/rear split coming of the master cyl to the ABS block. So really, you just need a "y" block to connect the lines. If i was doing it, id add in adjustable proportioners to set the brake balance.

Electrical side, If the PCM wants a CAN packet, you need to keep the module. If its checking for voltage or ground on a certain circuit, thats doable with out the module. But, It seems frank may have an answer to that.

I'm not worried about the plumbing at all, I just have no idea what to do about the electronics side.

Plus, I still have to decide if I want to go just ABS delete, or ABS delete with manual brake setup.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
GTO Eric

2005 GTO Owner

for now you can just plug in the ABS computer side until someone has a hardware software solution.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
Canada
Looking for 10s

2005 GTO Owner

Anyone get all this figured out yet?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #16
VooDoo
Obsessive Compulsive Detailer

HSV Coupe'

Here ya go

Old 01-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #17
Jasper Jones

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

That's cool, but it's not a delete. A lot of us are looking to get rid of the weight, plumbing, and extra controls over driving. So far, it appears no one has figured out the electronics side of the delete.

Nice work though, your car is awesome.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
Poncho Dan
GTrOllololol

2005 GTO Owner

Question: Why bother? The weight you'll save is maybe 10 pounds, plus you'll never be able to compensate for lock up like the computer...

If you're looking to ditch weight, start with the A/C and the radio & speakers.

05/M6 CGM - handmade Svede, Kooks signature series/catless mids, Bassani, -168lbs, HPT self tuned
'03 Grand Am L61/M86 - full custom exhaust, self tuned
Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
Canada
Looking for 10s

2005 GTO Owner

I'd take my chance predicting a skid instead of abs. Your on the breaks hard enuff for it your not in control anyway. I prefer to just delete it and be done with it. Why must people these days think they need all this computer controlled stuff to help them drive. What happened to the old days where you just drive cars. A/C I'd keep just for comfort and the radio to listen to tunes on longer trips since its not a full out track car. Just want to completly delete the abs. I wouldn't mind a manual steering rack either.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #20
Jimmy TJ

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan...View Post
Question: Why bother? The weight you'll save is maybe 10 pounds, plus you'll never be able to compensate for lock up like the computer...

If you're looking to ditch weight, start with the A/C and the radio & speakers.

10 pounds is 10 pounds, especially since its coming off the front of the car. If the OP(and myself) doesnt want/need ABS, why keep it?

As far as not being able to control a skid as well as a computer.. I guess that depends on the driver and how well they know their vehicle..
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Voodoo, that is clean as hell.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
04GTOgtgo
?

2004 GTO Owner

Can't you toggle ABS on and off with the button on the shifter, at least in the A4s? I accidentally discovered it with my car while I was messing with it while waiting for someone in a parking lot.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #23
VooDoo
Obsessive Compulsive Detailer

HSV Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GTOgtgo...View Post
Can't you toggle ABS on and off with the button on the shifter, at least in the A4s? I accidentally discovered it with my car while I was messing with it while waiting for someone in a parking lot.

Thats traction control only not the ABS.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #24

Voodoo, Do you get any dash board ABS warnings when you start the car up? or does that do the trick?
I wanted to ditch my abs a few years ago, just to get rid of the rats nest of brake lines on the passenger side wheel well. But never figured out what to do with the elctrical side of things. If that works, I may re-visit that project.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #25
Jasper Jones

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860...View Post
Voodoo, Do you get any dash board ABS warnings when you start the car up? or does that do the trick?
I wanted to ditch my abs a few years ago, just to get rid of the rats nest of brake lines on the passenger side wheel well. But never figured out what to do with the elctrical side of things. If that works, I may re-visit that project.

I would have to assume his ABS still operates as intended, because all the components are still there, all he did was relocate them.

Does anyone know if the ABS interacts with the ECM or the BCM, and if it is just one or the other?

I'm thinking if it only communicates with the BCM, in the future I might possibly do a standalone harness conversion from Speartech (I think they do it) and eliminate the BCM along with ABS, airbags, and whatnot, and just rewire what I need. So basically I'd be turning the GTO in something like the pro-touring guys do: the only electronics being engine controls. Of course, this is all a pipe dream right now, but it's one way I've thought of losing some weight and complexity from the car for drag racing.

Last edited by Jasper Jones; 02-08-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #26
Token
Token-Cracker African

Send a message via AIM to Token
Might also want to consider the insurance headaches involved.
If you have an accident and on the check up of the car they notice the ABS is missing your looking at one heck of a nightmare. (most Insurers give a discount for things like abs/airbags etc...)

1996 Ford Thunderturkey
2012 Ford Moosetank

quite the zoo.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #27
Jasper Jones

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Mad Dog...View Post
Might also want to consider the insurance headaches involved.
If you have an accident and on the check up of the car they notice the ABS is missing your looking at one heck of a nightmare. (most Insurers give a discount for things like abs/airbags etc...)

I could see that being a problem if they prove that your stopping distance was lengthened due to not having ABS in the snow or rain, but not all cars have ABS anyways, and I wouldn't be driving in the snow ever, and maybe rarely in the rain.

Plus, I am not too sure they would care about ABS when they see slicks, built motor, new suspension, cage, racing seats, and everything else that would most likely be in a car built to that level.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
Token
Token-Cracker African

Send a message via AIM to Token
true, but you have to mention these things to people.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #29
SamHatco

I've done it....

and I got rid of that anoying ABS fault and traction control fault. It's so easy you won't believe it. In the harness going to the gauge cluster is a green wire and yellow/red wire. These are the signal wires for the ABS and traction control. Just eliminate those two wires and the fault goes away. On startup the the DIC does it's systems check and before I eliminated those two wires I would get ABS Fault and Low traction/traction control not working, now those faults are gone.

Sam
Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
Drunkin Goat
Maggie who?

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHatco...View Post
and I got rid of that anoying ABS fault and traction control fault. It's so easy you won't believe it. In the harness going to the gauge cluster is a green wire and yellow/red wire. These are the signal wires for the ABS and traction control. Just eliminate those two wires and the fault goes away. On startup the the DIC does it's systems check and before I eliminated those two wires I would get ABS Fault and Low traction/traction control not working, now those faults are gone.

Sam

I was just thinking about doing an ABS delete. The only thing keeping me from doing it was the car not starting with out it. I am going to pull those two terminals when my car is back together and test it. I hope it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ykr_-nRIs

1000+rwhp
1000+rwtq
OLD NUMBERS
60'-1.477
ET-9.937
MPH-140.78

ECS, WM Motorworks & Gforce1320 FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: