LS1GTO Forums banner

My '04 ECM relocate w/ tranny computer!

17K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  Ninomobster 
#1 ·
Alright, so I figured I would try and do this mod myself, I even took a few pics for everyone...

First off, I wasn't too sure, about the tranny computers, but I tackled that part the best way I figured how...
First, I removed the Throttle Position Controller from the big piece of plastic mounted under the kick panel. After that, I cut all of the excess plastic away from the Power Train Interface Module, leaving just a small box.

I tucked the TPC up inside the dash in an empty space and put the PTIM between the fins of the ECM when I placed it behind the kick panel. Here are a few pics.

Everything else was pretty explanitory with Sergo's post. The only thing I needed to do was extend the Coolant Level Sensor cable. 18 Gauge wire worked perfectly... :)

Hope this helps anyone that needed to know what to do with that dumb computer being in the way!:turbonaug

See less See more
#2 ·
Alright, so I figured I would try and do this mod myself, I even took a few pics for everyone...

First off, I wasn't too sure, about the tranny computers, but I tackled that part the best way I figured how...
First, I removed the Throttle Position Controller from the big piece of plastic mounted under the kick panel. After that, I cut all of the excess plastic away from the Power Train Interface Module, leaving just a small box.

I tucked the TPC up inside the dash in an empty space and put the PTIM between the fins of the ECM when I placed it behind the kick panel. Here are a few pics.

Everything else was pretty explanitory with Sergo's post. The only thing I needed to do was extend the Coolant Level Sensor cable. 18 Gauge wire worked perfectly... :)

Hope this helps anyone that needed to know what to do with that dumb computer being in the way!:turbonaug
Looks like you did the exact same thing I did, except I decided to stash the one piece, that you attached to the ECU, up higher in the dash. I also swapped my coolant system to an 05/06 so I also was able to just move the sensor wire in the cab with a jumper so it didn't throw a "Low Coolant Level' warning.

Great Job!

#12 ·
This is exactly what I did when I relocated the computer!

Looks like you did the exact same thing I did, except I decided to stash the one piece, that you attached to the ECU, up higher in the dash. I also swapped my coolant system to an 05/06 so I also was able to just move the sensor wire in the cab with a jumper so it didn't throw a "Low Coolant Level' warning.

Great Job!
Can I get info on the above bold? Looking to switch to a different overflow tank.

#3 ·
I think that the '05-'06 coolant system will be my next "mod"... I really don't like the overflow tank being there...

Plus, the '05-'06 radiator has a drain plug...

#6 ·
... a radiator cap and less over all hose.

Although, I do have to admit that doing the computer relocation along with the coolant system swap, the passenger's side looks cluttered.

good job!! :thumbs:

this should be added to the one i did for the 05-06.
I thought it was :confused:

why do you have an auto tranny computer, with 3 pedals?

It isn't an auto transmission computer, IIRC. It is a computer for the transmission (manual or automatic) though.

#7 ·
Thanks, Sergo....definitely not as good a write up as yours, though...

I think that the computer is for traction control, I think??

... a radiator cap and less over all hose.

Although, I do have to admit that doing the computer relocation along with the coolant system swap, the passenger's side looks cluttered.
Yeah, I'm liking all of the available space for header and spark plug changes!!..

#5 ·

#14 ·
Thanks for posting this thread! Ok, now when you move the big wire mess thru the firewall it is basically what sergo mentioned in the 05/06 thread right?

im gonna have to read that again, it looks pretty tight in that area, just wonder how im gonna get that box out and unclip the wires..LOL

#15 ·
Somewhat... it will all make sense when you start moving. I just unplugged my ECU ran the wires inside and hooked back up the ECU. Remember that if those gaskets sit on the ECU, don't worry. They just go back in the cap section.

Something else that I did was remove the clip/retainer that goes in the firewall and slice the grommet so that the other wire will somewhat be surrounded by the grommet, sealing the firewall up a little better.

Make sense? If not, I don't doubt it :bomb:. I will be posting up some pictures of this along with some other stuff here in a couple days.

#16 ·
makes alittle sense.. but like you said it'll become clear when i get into it :)

#18 ·
I was thinking about that... Would a dremmel work?

#22 ·
#23 ·
Exactly what should be ground down?

Mine fit but the kick panel is now snug against the hood release and its a bit out of the weatherstripping.
They are saying that the fins on the ECU should be ground down. I didn't do that at all. I actually ended up taking that black box on top of the ECU and put it up higher in the dash, past the grommet. At first, I just had the cable connected to the PCB and stuffed it up there, but later trimmed the box out of the holder and put the PCB back in it.

Mine did the same thing, but I was able to re-situate it and get it to fit way better.

#31 ·
Yeah, that's all the crud I dug out from behind the panel..., Don't worry, it got cleaned up after I was done....

#32 ·
Ok i need some HELP. lol In the middle of my ECM move, i got all the wires thru the firewall, now i need to figure out how to use the "firewall plug". Is it best to notch it so the wires will fit around it? some advise would be great!

#34 ·
Cut the rubber grommet center out larger so it fits over the ecm plug then you can use the old plastic harness clip as well
once all ran through the firewall it should look like some thing like this

#35 ·
yes you can , just remember to use some sikaflex to reseal where the loom goes through the rubber grommet so air not blowing through or you hear road noise from that area

#36 ·
so i cant really notch out one side to get the grommet to fit in the opening?

how do u get the grommet off the main loom to make the opening larger tho? i tried untaping the one but it wouldnt move much.. up or down. hopefully all those connections fit thru that grommet. haha

#37 ·
I notched mine on one side. It work just fine and sealed back up pretty good.

#39 ·
2, maybe 3 hours... It goes pretty fast.

#41 ·
i just finished mine a while ago. it looks great and ill get some pics tomorrow. i made the coolant wire longer since i pushed the whole thing thru the hole, and soldered the connections. for the firewall plug, i took the hard plastic out and tried to make the center bigger but found out that my wires wouldnt fit in the middle so i got mad at that. :( Notched out the rubber grommet and made it a tight fit... just need to use some RTV sealant around it to seal it up.

I shoved the one computer into the upper left side of the dash into a nice little area, and then stuck the little black computer to the bigger one which sides in the kick panel. that was kinda a tight fit but it works...and its kinda touching the hood latch lever but its ok! Turned into a fun project. Just glad the car started and drove after i was done.. LOL!!

#42 ·
Just glad the car started and drove after i was done.. LOL!!
Ha! I was happy when I was done and took her for a drive and everything worked.....

Nothing like screwing up an ECU to make for a wonderful day!!:bomb:

#43 ·
heres a couple shots of the engine bay...

while driving today i noticed i need to seal up the hole for sure... heard road noise and felt some air.. :(

#45 ·
I definitely think we need a thread w/ pics on the '04 to '05-'06 cooling system swap!!!!

#46 ·
Wouldnt that be an easy swap? just change the radiators id assume?

#47 ·
Nope.. Radiator, tubing, fan swap ('04s are different than '05-'06), overflow tank, etc...

#49 ·
ya now that i done this.. those overflow tank hoses look like butt. LOL

#50 ·
I agree, still looks cluttered....:bomb:

#51 ·
If only someone made a smaller overflow tank that sat more to the right it would look much better.

I did this mod last weekend. I was able to reuse the plastic holder like vvyss5.7 did. Makes getting to my headers much easier. And moved a good chunk of wire out of the engine bay

#52 ·
Daniel hit up Loyd or WRP they just did the swap not to long ago.

#58 · (Edited)
hey krh0003-

would you mind posting some pics of that setup? of the overflow tank placement. thanks!
i was able to find the canton tank. it looks really nice.

i removed as much as i could "inside" the plastic plug, and i was able to wrap it around all the wires and loom. removed the center of the rubber grommet, and put it back around the plastic plug.

i am not too happy with where i put the TPC. it is good for now, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.