Roller Rocker Clearance Issues - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
06LS2GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Roller Rocker Clearance Issues

Can someone advise which if any Roller Rockers will clear the stock LS2 valve covers? Also, how much if any benefit will they provide on an aggressively cammed LS2 engine? Thanks in advance. "Search" did not produce much info.

2006 CGM M6, Factory 18's, Jet Hot Coated Kooks LT's, Kooks Hi Flow Catted Connection Pipes, Corsa Sport, Vararam OTRCAI, Ported PI LXR 245 Heads, Morel Race Lifters, Ported Fast 92, Custom Cam by FlowTech Induction, ATI Super Damper, Hotchkis Swaybars, Whiteline Endlinks, Noltec Bushings, KWv3's, SAP Grills

Last edited by 06LS2GTO; 08-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
rednari

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06LS2GTO...View Post
Can someone advise which if any Roller Rockers will clear the stock LS2 valve covers? Also, how much if any benefit will they provide on an aggressively cammed LS2 engine? Thanks in advance. "Search" did not produce much info.

There maybe other makers, but Crane is the only company I am aware of that makes rockers which fit under OE rocker covers without mods.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Proth1975

2006 GTO Owner

If I were to do it again, I'd pass on roller rockers (unless I had Trick Flows). What I would have done instead was replace the bearings on the stockers.

IMHO: The rollers don't provide enough benefit, and are noisy as hell (I've got Harland Sharps). Stockers haven;t had any reported cases of the ever going bad (aside from losing the crappy bearings.

$130, a vise, and some sockets and you'll easily replace the bearing yourself.

-P

'92 GMC Typhoon #2128 - In recovery
Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
06LS2GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Shortyno10

2005 GTO Owner

love my yella terras, but they did have clearance issues. just grounded off the little mushroom lookin things under the valve covers and they fit perfectly
Spintech Super Pro Street with H pipe
QTP Cut Outs
HP Tuned By Me
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Hinson Motorsports

Quote:

Sometimes they clear, sometimes they don't. I would do the Comp Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade to your OEM Rockers http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361169

FYI, Trickflow makes Valve Cover Spacers for $215.95.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
EDC
The stick guy -
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

Ahem - your heads have a raised valve cover rail...

Your number one source for custom designed camshafts, valvetrain and cylinder head combinations

"Quality is not expensive - It's PRICELESS"

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
chrisb07
Box Car Racer!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortyno10...View Post
love my yella terras, but they did have clearance issues. just grounded off the little mushroom lookin things under the valve covers and they fit perfectly

+1 thats what took care of my clearance problems with my Harland Sharps.

Custom single front mount in the making...

Suspension: BMR Drag Bags.

Protection: Trunk Monkey
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Proth1975

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb07...View Post
+1 thats what took care of my clearance problems with my Harland Sharps.

And mine needed more massaging than that. Tolerances are tolerances.

Still... stay with the stockers, get the Comp Cams upgrade kit.

-P
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
chrisb07
Box Car Racer!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proth1975...View Post
And mine needed more massaging than that. Tolerances are tolerances.

Still... stay with the stockers, get the Comp Cams upgrade kit.

-P

What did you end up going with to fix yours?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
Proth1975

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb07...View Post
What did you end up going with to fix yours?

A Dremel with a cut-off wheel on the "bumps" and a ball peen on the splash shields.

-P
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
scryfst
NOT FAST ENOUGH!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to scryfst
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednari...View Post
There maybe other makers, but Crane is the only company I am aware of that makes rockers which fit under OE rocker covers without mods.

I have crane gold 1.7 adjustable RR's and had clearance issues on both rocker covers. Passenger side was much worse and needed some pretty heavy massaging.

I wouldn't buy, or not buy, a rocker solely on the fact that it clears or doesn't clear O.E. rocker covers. Choose your RR based on quality and then budget! It's simple enough to correct any issues and at most adds an hour to the install.
06 PBM. 477 rw / 243 heads / cam / 3:73 gears sold

F350 PSD. 4x4, crew-cab, 8' box, lifted and rolling on 35-12.5 20 m/t's. 440/900+
Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
rednari

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryfst...View Post
I have crane gold 1.7 adjustable RR's and had clearance issues on both rocker covers. Passenger side was much worse and needed some pretty heavy massaging.

I wouldn't buy, or not buy, a rocker solely on the fact that it clears or doesn't clear O.E. rocker covers. Choose your RR based on quality and then budget! It's simple enough to correct any issues and at most adds an hour to the install.

I do not know what type of Crane rockers you have. I have the adjustable type, and they fit under the cover without modifying anything, including the oil baffles.

Don't you just love it when almost all of the rocker manufacturers advertise that they make LSX rockers, but leave out the fact that they may not fit under the cover, or that you must buy the spacer or larger valve covers they will gladly provide...?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #14
scryfst
NOT FAST ENOUGH!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to scryfst
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednari...View Post
I do not know what type of Crane rockers you have. I have the adjustable type, and they fit under the cover without modifying anything, including the oil baffles.

Don't you just love it when almost all of the rocker manufacturers advertise that they make LSX rockers, but leave out the fact that they may not fit under the cover, or that you must buy the spacer or larger valve covers they will gladly provide...?

I have the gold adjustable RR's (I believe that crane referes to them as race) in a 1.7 ratio.

They fit and the car ran; However, close attention to detail revealed contact on both covers. The oil baffle on the passenger side was worse than the drivers side. The contact was barely noticeable by ear while the car was running and could have easily been passed off as normal valvetrain noise.

During assembly we marked the covers and upon intial start-up used a stethoscope. We then pulled the covers back off and found witness marks on both covers.

If you didn't install yours, I would take 30 minutes out of my day and pull both rocker covers. Better safe than sorry
Old 08-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
rednari

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryfst...View Post
I have the gold adjustable RR's (I believe that crane referes to them as race) in a 1.7 ratio.

They fit and the car ran; However, close attention to detail revealed contact on both covers. The oil baffle on the passenger side was worse than the drivers side. The contact was barely noticeable by ear while the car was running and could have easily been passed off as normal valvetrain noise.

During assembly we marked the covers and upon intial start-up used a stethoscope. We then pulled the covers back off and found witness marks on both covers.

If you didn't install yours, I would take 30 minutes out of my day and pull both rocker covers. Better safe than sorry

I did install them myself. I took the rocker covers off 6 months later and found no evidence of scuffing whatsoever. My rocker are the 1.8s. Perhaps there is a difference.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Smitty
Walk Soft & Carry Big Stick!

2004 GTO Owner

My Yella Terra's fit fine as long as I didn't use the suppled shims...

Autoform Cowl Hood & Spoiler, DM Chin Spoiler, Silver Mesh 17x8/9's...

CNC'd LS6 243's, TR CheaTR, Dynatech LT's...

3.91's w/ Harrop cover, Pedders Drop Springs w/Koni's, Quickor rear bar, Red & Blue bushings,
'06 Brakes w/SS lines...

Set up for the Road Track experience...

Tuned to 382/361 rwhp/tq at Baker Engineering, Nunica, Mi.

Best E.T. 12.47 @ 113.25 on a 1.80

The Mule: '12 GMC Sierra RCSB in QuickSilver Metallic, 3/5 Drop, HP Tuned
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #17
TDB

2005 GTO Owner

I had the same problem with the Comp Cams Ultra gold rockers and had clearance issues even after machining. I ended up having to go with 1/2" valve cover spacers. After that, no problems.

Check out this link at GM HTP. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._arm_type.html

It has been posted on the forums before and is why I switched rocker arms along with my cam (0.617 and 0.621 lift).

Tom
2005 IBM M6 Pedders Street II (plus a few extra bits), +5/16" drag springs, 9" widened stock rear wheels with 275 tires, Hotchkis sways, Billet shifter, assymetric half shafts (thanks G-Force racing!), SW LT headers with cats, 3" SW exhaust, Vararam intake, Custom Cam amd SD tune by Modern Muscle
Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
mistermike
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

It is not a question of which rockers clear the valve covers, but whether your particular set of covers will clear the rockers. Both YT and Scorpion rockers are touted to clear factory covers, but the rub is that the tolerances on the covers are crap. They are all over the place. I had some mild contact with the sheet metal baffling for the no-longer-used PCV outlets. Nothing serious, but irritating nonetheless. I ground off the rivets, bosses, and removed the sheet metal and have no clearance issues without resorting to risers.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #19
EDC
The stick guy -
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDB...View Post
I had the same problem with the Comp Cams Ultra gold rockers and had clearance issues even after machining. I ended up having to go with 1/2" valve cover spacers. After that, no problems.

Scorpion makes the rockers for Comp.
Quote:
Check out this link at GM HTP. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com..._arm_type.html

It has been posted on the forums before and is why I switched rocker arms along with my cam (0.617 and 0.621 lift).

Tom

*Might* be an issue with TFS heads but the OEM, AFR, DART, Performance Induction heads have no issues going with high lift grinds.

Ed
Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
TDB

2005 GTO Owner

Thanks, Ed. As always, you are a wealth of information and an asset to the forum.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: