Replacing clock spring - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
zwlexington
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Replacing clock spring

So I smurfed up my clock spring... anyone know how to replace? Anyone know where to get one and how much?

Mean while I have a airbag fault warning on the DIC. So should I worry about it spontaniously combusting?

Last edited by zwlexington; 08-28-2010 at 02:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Contact Gene at GM Parts House (sponsor list on left) and he can get you a new clockspring. Don't know the price but generally Gene's prices are better than you will get at a dealer.
Although used ones may be available from junkyards this is one part I would only buy new because of how critical it is to the airbag system, and also due to the fact that one from a wreck may be damaged. If the driver airbag in the car has deployed the clockspring is almost guaranteed to be no good.
If your clockspring is currently bad and the airbag light is on, your driver airbag is non-functional and the passenger one may be as well.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

I would love to know how to test one. The SIR module actually looks for abnormal capacitance between individual coils and reports it to the BCM. It doesn't have to be a dead short or open to trigger a failure. Spooky stuff.

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
2014 Cruze Eco w/ my balls in spacious glove compartment
fquick
Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
tmiller
Registered Winner

2004 GTO Owner

Glad you found tech Lex. Gene won't steer you wrong, I've ordered from him numerous times.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

generally, you dont test the clockspring its self, you test everything around it. bad practice to get into the habit of sticking probes into CS connectors. one mistake, boom.

I dont even like testing cruise control switches. color me cautious. So when i do it, I do my test at the module, be it PCM or the older self contained units. 9/10 times i find one switch has failed, and on the fords i most often work on, they share wires. GM is a liitle trickier, as they tend to use multiple wires. So i test at the module, then test at teh swtich. I never probe a clockspring.

oh, and i recently had an 05 corolla S with no horn, but it worked on the panic button. Which left one ground wire thru the clock spring. Unplugged the clock spring, grounded the terminal in the harness side, honk. ordered clock spring.

Also, lincoln LS's should come with a spare clockspring assy. its a module in and of its self to boot. very cashy. very obnoxious.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

For a weekend warrior like me, it sounds like the best test is to have a known good one handy. I'll try my luck with the "good" one on my extra column. What's the worst that could happen?

Don't answer that.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
zwlexington
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox mulder...View Post
contact gene at gm parts house (sponsor list on left) and he can get you a new clockspring. Don't know the price but generally gene's prices are better than you will get at a dealer.
Although used ones may be available from junkyards this is one part i would only buy new because of how critical it is to the airbag system, and also due to the fact that one from a wreck may be damaged. If the driver airbag in the car has deployed the clockspring is almost guaranteed to be no good.
If your clockspring is currently bad and the airbag light is on, your driver airbag is non-functional and the passenger one may be as well.

oh really??? So i can drive it and not have it worrying about it going boom?

I looked at GM parts direct and I didnt see it...

Last edited by zwlexington; 08-28-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
zwlexington
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Should I pull the air bag fuse If I want to drive it or should I leave it alone??? But I still need to drive it...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Like i said in your other thread, its unlikely, but with that clockspring damaged, anything is possible. Frankly the only way to be sure is to leave the airbag out.

part# is 92147955 but that may have been superseded cost is $202.19, both of those are from alldata. 'spiral cable' is another term for 'clockspring', and im not 100% which one GM uses in their parts book.

Of course, you have that dealer hook up to handle all of that, no?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
zwlexington
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Of course... Im not going to smurf up another one... But I got some friends at the dealership... They should be able to look out for me. I did find it on GM parts direct for 144$
Old 08-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Check out our sponsor, GMpartshouse.com He won't screw you on shipping and you won't have to send 20 emails when GMPartsDirect doesn't have it in stock.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
zwlexington
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Well went and got some estimate today to get it replaced...
Dealership 1: 300$ including part and installation.
Dealership 2: 270$ Part... WTF. I told them I can get it from the other dealership for 202.14$ they said ok we'll give it to you for 202.99... But it "LIST" for 350$. Ha ha thats some BS.
Still at dealership 2... I ask how much it would be to install it... They say 250.00-300.00$ I said WTF... I told them dealership 1 will get the part and install it for 300$... The service writer said its "atleast" a half a day installation... I told them thats BS and, that I pulled the steering wheel off in 10 minutes... smurfed up the clock spring and had a new steering wheel installed in less than 45 mins... Then I asked him why their price was so much more expensive than the other... They said "Well that sounds cheap... they maybe need to re-evaluate their installation time" I told them "well maybe you should re-evaluate their installation time cause if its taking you half a day to install a steering wheel you should not be a dealership service department..."
So Im never gonna take my vehicle to them again. I told them smurf you and walked out... While the owners wife was in the service department. Anyone have GMs telephone number???
Anyone wanna install a clock spring? Ill buy you beer (after you finish... I want my wheel back on straight) Diner, and ill throw in 50$ to pad your wallet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: