Big bore/short stroke vs smaller bore/long stroke - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

Big bore/short stroke vs smaller bore/long stroke

I am wondering the pros/cons of both scenarios and hoping to gain a better understanding of engines in general. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, a bigger bore and shorter stroke is going to yield better motor breathing and more HP up top, as well as an ability to spin the motor faster. A smaller bore and longer stroke (stroker motor for example) is going to give you more torque down low due to the longer rods and torque/angle on the crank shaft, but the motor is going to have problems spinning faster and also might have less reliability down the road with the more awkward angles of the engine internals. I would also like to know which motor takes boost better and why, and which motor will like an N/A setup better.

04 GTO SOLD
99' ZX6R SOLD
1970 Opel GT SOLD
2014 Kawasaki Z1000
Quote:
I think you should smurf the bullshit. 1 shot of Jim Beam, beer chaser, small line of cocaine. Repeat until you run out, die, or find the true meaning of life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

nobody huh?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
LS2GOAT05
Thank you Holden!!!

2005 GTO Owner

You are correct, generally a shorter stroke will be more rev happy, longer ones like the lower RPMs. I would think the shorter stroke would be better for turbo to spin it up faster, but that is just an assumption. Longer stroke engines are great for NA. Both really can use forced induction though.

MODS:
JHP Guage Pod, GMM Ripshift,Royal Purple Synchromax and Max Gear, Flowmaster Super 40's, SAP Grilles,
Stainless bumper inserts, subwoofer amp "gain" mod, relocated IAT, Vararam, AMW catch can, DRL delete, Kings rear springs, rear deck brake light delete, Stolenfox H-pipe, "kink" delete, chrome factory 17's, PaceSetter LT's, MSD Superconductor wires, TTP dyno tune, tinted windows, Grafxwerks emblem overlays.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
dyno junkie

Monaro CV8

Small bore is great for boost!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1235...View Post
I am wondering the pros/cons of both scenarios and hoping to gain a better understanding of engines in general. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, a bigger bore and shorter stroke is going to yield better motor breathing and more HP up top, as well as an ability to spin the motor faster. A smaller bore and longer stroke (stroker motor for example) is going to give you more torque down low due to the longer rods and torque/angle on the crank shaft, but the motor is going to have problems spinning faster and also might have less reliability down the road with the more awkward angles of the engine internals. I would also like to know which motor takes boost better and why, and which motor will like an N/A setup better.

If a big bore/short stroke engine and a small bore/long stroke engine were designed by professionals, there would be no reliability issues due to proper angles used in the design, not some fabbed up aftermarket stroker set-up sold just for cube increase from a stock block.

Other than that you covered most of the basics.

Both love boost, it just enhances each engines characteristics.
Vararam
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1235...View Post
nobody huh?

There's volumes written on it in ME textbooks. You're not going to get the knowledge you seek in 30 words or less on teh interwebz

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2008 HHR SS tweaked
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Beach Goat
So it goes.

2006 GTO Owner

Big bore/big stroke. LS3+4" crank. 4.030" bore, and 4" of throw. Big breathing up top, deshrouded valves, and more torque from the longer rods (which is all hp is anyway).

Our engines are designed to rev. Having a longer stroke won't hamper that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
"Suck my dick" - mistermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins...View Post
Valve shrouding on a stock motor is fine though, because ultimately you're just going to blow it up anyways, and then bore out the motor. Voila, valve unshrouded.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:14 AM   #8
Steel Chicken
L33T IT Direktor, Excel PhD

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

^^^^

Go as big as you can, just be mindful of super high revs, and short piston skirts.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
A_VAS
Complete Street Performance
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2006 GTO Owner

rod length is the same typically in the LS builds, whether it is 4" stroke or stock
The difference is taken out of the piston (compression height) moving the pin up into the oil ring pack. This can cause some issues with reliability and oil consumption but in general seems to work ok.
For N/A this is usually seen as a good thing because the pistons are lighter.
If you want to pound a good bit of boost, I prefer a strong piston...thicker top section by keeping the top ring groove spaced down from the top, and a pin that is not in the oil ring pack. For moderate boost (<10psi) it's not as critical obviously as many stock engines survive quite a long time (mine included).

GTO rear end parts and rebuilds
Dana Gearsets (OEM Australian)
OEM seals, Timken bearings

Last edited by A_VAS; 11-11-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
EDC
The stick guy -
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

Cool

Quote:
There's volumes written on it in ME textbooks. You're not going to get the knowledge you seek in 30 words or less on teh interwebz

Yup - and EMC results made a fool out of a lot of internet and magazine experts.

Your number one source for custom designed camshafts, valvetrain and cylinder head combinations

"Quality is not expensive - It's PRICELESS"

Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
magnum-gto
8 second club

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

Even when you do get the information you are seeking (on this forum) ......it will be buried under incomplete, inaccurate and false information.
Frank@Driveshaft Shop 704-633-2380
gto.jpg
Brian/Jason@ Kauffman Tire

Last edited by magnum-gto; 11-11-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Oh4GTO
dum dum dum dum dudum

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oh4GTO
When its time I am going with a sleeved block, bored as far as it will go and stock stroke crank. Thats gonna be a lot of fun.

LS3 longblock, LS9 cam, LS9 headgaskets, NW 90mm, APS 5psi = 610 RWHP / 578 RWTQ
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Re-sleeved blocks are about as much fun as a sticky doorknob.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
If a big bore/short stroke engine and a small bore/long stroke engine were designed by professionals, there would be no reliability issues due to proper angles used in the design, not some fabbed up aftermarket stroker set-up sold just for cube increase from a stock block.

Interesting. I thought I remember reading an article that talked about stroker motors and the more the extreme the stroke gets, the harder it is on the engine internals because of the odd torque angles and parts slightly warping especially at high rpms.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
simpleGTO
keep it simple

2005 GTO Owner

Simply put boost is about PSI. The larger the bore the more SI. Long stroke pulls more air and fuel in but if it is forced in big bore is king.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

I also thought it was interesting to read that immediately after the gas/air combusts on the power stroke is when the explosion gives the most energy and transfers it to the piston. Shortly thereafter the amount of energy pretty much falls on its face and there isn't much more benefit from making the stroke longer (as far as drawing energy from the air-fuel explosion). Seems to me that you would want to have this ideal event happen over and over again as quickly as possible in order to draw as much energy as you could from combustion. big bore/small stroke would win there.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

Cliffs:

In mechanical terms, the definition of torque is the force acting on an object that causes that object to rotate. In an internal combustion engine, the pressure produced by expanding gases acts through the pistons and connecting rods to push against the crankshaft, producing torque. The mechanical leverage is greatest at the point when the connecting rod is perpendicular to its respective crank throw; depending on the geometry of the crank, piston and rod, this typically occurs when the piston is about 80 degrees after top dead center (ATDC).

So if torque is what accelerates a race car, why don’t we use engines with 2-inch diameter cylinder bores and 6-inch long crankshaft strokes? Obviously there are other factors involved.

The first consideration is that the cylinder pressure produced by the expanding gases reaches its peak shortly after combustion begins, when the volume above the piston is still relatively small and the lever arm created by the piston, rod and crank pin is an acute angle of less than 90 degrees. Peak cylinder pressure occurs at approximately 30 degrees ATDC, and drops dramatically by the time that the rod has its maximum leverage against the crank arm. Consequently the mechanical torque advantage of a long stroke is significantly diminished by the reduced force that’s pushing against the piston when the leverage of a long crankshaft stroke is greatest.

Here's the link if anyone is interested in reading the full article. It was very informative IMO. http://www.rehermorrison.com/blog/?p=220
Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
Oh4GTO
dum dum dum dum dudum

2004 GTO Owner

I like sticky doorknobs.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh4GTO...View Post
I like sticky doorknobs.

Srsly, though. When you weight the cost of doing sleeves properly and the bad results some folks get with them, unless road racing, I'd go iron in a heartbeat.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

RHS aluminum block and 502ci.

no sticky door knob for me, thanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #21
Oh4GTO
dum dum dum dum dudum

2004 GTO Owner

If I do sleeve it, it will go to Erik.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
JoeyD
Spicey's Back In Town!

2006 GTO Owner

ERL Performance is another highly touted shop you might consider. Erik has spoken very highly of them and if I'm not mistaken has done a "joint project or two" with them

2006 SRM, A4, 1900 TVS, plus other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan...View Post
"The problem is this texting crap has spelling down to retard shorthand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impalaguy........
"No, I am not drunk; but, I may have been over-served"

Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
BillyGoatGruff
Push in, shift, release

2004 GTO Owner

GMDRRX

I like my MID Darton Sleeved sticky doorknob from Callies

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 11-11-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
RHS aluminum block and 502ci

yumm...

Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #25
Stang2Goat
The Lazarus Goat is alive!

2005 GTO Owner

This thread has so much going on with it that I am afraid to touch it with a stick...

Are you asking this just to learn, or are you trying to set a race motor up for a specific hp or performance goal?

PORKCHOP: Cyclone Grey Moneypit born 5/2005

= a heavy muscle car that turns, stops, and runs with sport bikes to 170+. Researched, planned, built and tested in a small garage.

12:1 402ci LS2 w/wallet-raping parts.
YIELD: 540whp/501wtq SAE on 93-pump, NA.

CURB: 3475# with heat, AC, stereo, Corbeau Forzas.

Coming Soon: Wheels 9/14; N20 Outlet sauce in 2015
Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #26
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
RHS aluminum block and 502ci.

no sticky door knob for me, thanks.

I have to say that my favorite part about the RHS block is the fact that you no longer have to pull the heads to get to the lifters.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #27
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Are you asking this just to learn, or are you trying to set a race motor up for a specific hp or performance goal?

Trying to figure out a build I'd like to do. I don't think I would like to build my 5.7 up at all, but rather upgrade my drivetrain for now and start planning my new motor. I think I'd like to go iron block since the GTO isn't much of a handler anyway and no matter what I end up doing, I want to throw some boost at it with a blower. I'm thinking with an iron block around the 6.0 L range with a big bore and smaller stroke with a mean super charger is going to be the best route. It'll be very nice power down low, but not too much to where it's impossible to hook up and my first 3 gears are useless, but when my rpms get higher, the power really kicks in. I'm mostly trying to get a better understanding of motors as far as stroke vs bore, but those are my goals, I think.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #28
A_VAS
Complete Street Performance
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2006 GTO Owner

iron block bored .060, stock crank....good pistons like I described above...that will meet your goals without spending large $$$

that would be 4.060 bore, 3.622 stroke, 6.125 (commonly) rod. A shorter rod will give you more meat on the piston if you have the cash as it won't be off the shelf anymore
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #29
noyz1
South Carolina's Fastest GTO

2005 GTO Owner

long stroke w/ small bore- more torque & is something goes wrong you have room to bore the block again
Old 11-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
nate1235
NO KISSEZZ!! NOOO!!

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
iron block bored .060, stock crank....good pistons like I described above...that will meet your goals without spending large $$$

that would be 4.060 bore, 3.622 stroke, 6.125 (commonly) rod. A shorter rod will give you more meat on the piston if you have the cash as it won't be off the shelf anymore

Which iron block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: