How to Get Popping Noise - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 09-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

How to Get Popping Noise

I heard that the popping noise is created with the Headers, I love when you shift gears and it just rumbles like crazy what actually creates it. Im going to purchase the Slp Lt's and Slp Lm1, will that combo create it.?? Sorry for being a noob just sold my s2000 and got a Gto.

Jimmy
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPetGoat...
I heard that the popping noise is created with the Headers, I love when you shift gears and it just rumbles like crazy what actually creates it. Im going to purchase the Slp Lt's and Slp Lm1, will that combo create it.?? Sorry for being a noob just sold my s2000 and got a Gto.

Jimmy

You should have kept S2000. Why would you want your $30k GTO to sound like a ricer?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Gilty1
Slave to the Mod Gods!!

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Gilty1
Quote:

Jimmy

I hope you are going to run cats with that setup, because without it is LOUD!!! I know i just removed my cats. It sounds great but it is definatly borderline obnoxious. To each his own though.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

So with the Lt slp and the Lm slp it will sound like a ricer my s2000 didnt sound like a ricer but, I dont know what setup to go with or the kooks with the LM. I want Deep, and throaty and when shifting sounds like a monster lol
Old 09-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
lisatw151
been beat by a Nana lately?

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to lisatw151
I achieved it without headers. Just had my resonators removed and straight pipe put in, then had stock mufflers replaced with a "glass pack" type muffler. Pops and burbles like crazy, even while changing gears. And it's loud. I love it... no mistaking it for rice whatsoever.
04 M6/Kooks coated 1 7/8 LTs & midpipes w highflow cats/SLP pulley/K&N CAI/AMW catch can/resonator delete/glasspacks/gmm race ripshifter/aeroforce gauges/chrome Z06 rims staggered 245-35-18 front, 275-30-19, 11" rear/BMR dragbags/MT ET's for the strip/15% tint/blacked out tails/yep... 223k miles and STILL got the SEG!!
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3.../Img_17842.jpg
Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

But does anyone know how the Slp lt and Lm will sound on a 05? or the Kook's with the Lm, or Flows
Old 09-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

IMO the popping makes it sound like crap. On the throttle nothing sounds better. On decel nothing sounds worse. I can't wait to tune it out. Maybe 20 years ago I would have thought it was cool, I guess I'm getting old. I just don't understand why some like the irritating sound. To each there own.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

Wha'ts the best sounding Combo of Exhaust and Headers that create decent popping for daily driving. Sound clips for any 05 would be greatly appreciative or a link to sounds clips for the 05
Old 09-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Wha'ts the best sounding Combo of Exhaust and Headers that create decent popping for daily driving. Sound clips for any 05 would be greatly appreciative or a link to sounds clips for the 05

I wish I had a means of getting a sound clip for you before I have it tuned out. I have Kooks w/cats, Magnaflow 10791 X pipe and Magnaflow 14211 mufflers. It pops like crazy!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

But do you like it toddo? I just like when you step on it and it roars and when you let off it still roars a little but i dont want to crzy. My boy with a TA refered me to get the Corsa and Kooks he told me it should sound really nice but not to crazy. he said slp combo will sound really bad to nasty he words.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
DGOAT
Back in Black

2006 GTO Owner

The SLP steup will sound great. I have the LM 1 and love it. It sounds nothing like a ricer, people who say that are just plain idiots. The popping doesn't bother me or excite me. You can keep it under control of you know to drive. I personaly am going w/ the Kooks b/c I have bigger plans then what 1 3/4 headers will do for me. You can always have the popping tuned out if it bothers you that much.
Streetsweeper HT Package|Ported FAST 92|Ported TB|American Racing Headers 1 7/8" w/ Cats|Stainless Spintech Catback w/ H-Pipe| Lingenfelter CAI|Formato Tuned|W-T Splitter|18" Wheels|OEM SAP Grills|Mav Man Carbon Fiber Diffuser and Lip Spoiler|BC Coilovers|Adam's
435 rwhp
431 rwtq
Old 09-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

Would the Kooks and Slp Lm 1 be a good combo Or The Kooks and the New Corsa???
Old 09-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
gtopulse
This Goat bites!

2004 GTO Owner

I assume you are installing it on a 2005. I have the Kook's LT"S with LM1 on a 2004 and it is crazy loud at WOT! You will get lots of popping on decel if you go with LT'S and LM1. If that is what you want you won't find anything louder! I have ordered the LM2 mufflers to see if I can tone down the popping some. The tuner took care of some of it but it is still there. It is fun at first but gets a little annoying after awhile. If you want what you stated you want out of your exhaust the LT's and LM1 will give it to you! good luck
2004-W40 Pulse Red/Black,M6,Polished Maggie,2.8 pulley,Coated 1 3/4" Kooks LT'S,Kooks cats,SLP LM1,P&P TB,255-45-17BFG's,B&G Springs 1 1/2"frnt.1 1/4"rear,K&N CAI,AMW catch can,Painted FRC's,Ripshift-race,Factory chrome whls.,Kircher front splitter,Tinted tail lites,Badgeless,Red gauges,308rwhp,317rwtq stock,Dyno tuned by Btlfed1500 w/HPT,343rwhp,356rwtq after tune,LT'S & CAI,426rwhp,447rwtq after maggie install.
1/4 mile=12.02 @ 116mph, 1/8 mile=7.81 @ 91mph-2.09 60ft. No traction!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #14
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

Thanks guys very help full, Bout the Corsa i have been hearing some good stuff bout them, might get those with some kooks how do you think it will be. Couple people told me to go with kooks over the slp as well. This get's me confused as hell lol
Old 09-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
WEDJ
I love my Goat!

2004 GTO Owner

I have Kooks LTs & catted extensions thru stock muffler. Pops like CRAZY on decel, but only @ certain rpms. It's a reflective sound wave thing. For me it is @ 2.5k and around 1.2k On the decel, it rumbles, then pop-pop-pop, then rumble as the r's drop. I like it (and I'm old)

I also have cut-outs, that makes the pops into explosions!

Nic
Torrid Red/red M6
CAGS elim, MPH dimmed, shift light, pedders suspension
LPE CAI
Kooks LTs
Streetpro cutouts
Flowtech cam, underdrive pulley
HPtuned by Mongillo Motors

fuzzy dice, custom pinstriping
Mustang dyno 386rwhp, 364rwt

05 Volvo XC90, black on black (weenie engine)
04 Volvo v70-R wagon, silver / blue, 6-spd, 300 hp, 14.61@96 mph
57 T-bird, 3-speed, grey w/ red interior
Old 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #16
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

thanks wed, YA Member im coming from an Import car with HKS exhaust lol so it's a totally diffenet setup that im running here, my friends TA sounds amazing on the Scandalous racing video if anyone has seen it and he has the slp lt and i think lm's but. I just wont something that sounds very muscle, and rumbles and pops on decel member im 19 i want to have fun sound isnt gonna bother me to much. Anyone opinions on the new Corsa??
Old 09-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #17
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
But do you like it toddo? I just like when you step on it and it roars and when you let off it still roars a little but i dont want to crzy. My boy with a TA refered me to get the Corsa and Kooks he told me it should sound really nice but not to crazy. he said slp combo will sound really bad to nasty he words.

I love the way it sounds except when you let off. I don't like the popping. It can somewhat be controlled by not downshifting. It still pops between gears. I'm tuning it out. I highly recommend the Kooks and the X pipe. Some don't like the sound the x pipe produces. Its a unique sound. When you step on it, it flat ass roars. I'm certian you'll love it.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #18
Scotts05GTO
I've been labeled a Renegade

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to Scotts05GTO Send a message via Yahoo to Scotts05GTO
Here are a few sound clips for ya. If none of these are to your liking, you can search and find more.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...st+sound+clips

I carry the gift that I have been blessed with
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness
Old 09-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #19
radkon
Est. Apr 2004

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to radkon
SW LT headers and stock exhaust without a tune will pop like crazy. I like it and so does the wife. Gearing down and letting off the gas = big pop almost a backfire. Sounds nothing like ricers to me. I'll probably be losing the pop soon with side exhaust and a tune.
HPT Pro, LM1, SVEDE, 85mm FAST Manifold, 85mm TB, TR224 112 Cam, TEA ported/milled 243 heads, SW LT headers, SW Custom Side Exhaust, King springs, Pedders shocks, Hotchkis sways, Pedders & ES Bushings, DBA rotors, Hawk/Axxis pads, Stoptech lines, shiftlight, AP Sideskirts, AP rear bumper, 05 hood, SAP grilles, Hoens, dual aeroforce gauges
Stock 309.8 RWHP 330.7 RWTQ
Now ? RWHP ? RWTQ
1 of 1014
Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 AM   #20
wrp
Taco Bell

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddO...
IMO the popping makes it sound like crap. On the throttle nothing sounds better. On decel nothing sounds worse. I can't wait to tune it out. Maybe 20 years ago I would have thought it was cool, I guess I'm getting old. I just don't understand why some like the irritating sound. To each there own.

What he said....in my day popping and crackling was the sign of a guy who knew nothing about tuning his/her car and who's car was out of tune badly
Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #21
Sicky
seppuku rights activist

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatw151...
I achieved it without headers. Just had my resonators removed and straight pipe put in, then had stock mufflers replaced with a "glass pack" type muffler. Pops and burbles like crazy, even while changing gears. And it's loud. I love it... no mistaking it for rice whatsoever.

Lisa, we pretty much have the same setup. Personally I am starting to reconsider my setup. Are you still as happy with yours as when you first got it done?

I do get a lot of compliments on mine but the popping is starting to get on my nerves, and has me rethinking the whole x-pipe with some different mufflers.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #22
Sicky
seppuku rights activist

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

Check this thread:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40056

It's an 04 with LTs, no cats and a Corsa Sport. Sounds excellent.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #23
lisatw151
been beat by a Nana lately?

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to lisatw151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewallace...
Lisa, we pretty much have the same setup. Personally I am starting to reconsider my setup. Are you still as happy with yours as when you first got it done?

I do get a lot of compliments on mine but the popping is starting to get on my nerves, and has me rethinking the whole x-pipe with some different mufflers.

Overall I'm still happy. The popping (backfiring) really gets on my nerves too. Actually, it's almost embarrassing. But it sounds so good otherwise and I'm leary of the x-pipe. I've heard some say that it gives the exhaust note an exotic sound. That's what I had with the Borla catback and I hated it.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #24
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

N e Vid's of the 05 Corsa exhaust
Old 09-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #25
booster
It's never fast enough....

Vauxhall CV8/VXR

Can totally understand why the popping could get on your nerves but I don't think it sounds like rice at all. I love it, and personally think it's one of the best sounds the exhaust makes - especially on start up with some revs! lol!!

Di-fillipo LT Headers
S/S Cat-Back
Catless
85MM MAF Sensor
2nd airbox hole + K&N + HSV MAF pipe
HSV GTS-R Short Shifter
Tune

344rwhp (heatsoaked)

13.7 @ 105.25 on a 2.3 60'! Into a 30mph headwind

Nitrous kit is here!!! Nitro Dave
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #26
GTOOOOOH

2005 GTO Owner

I met the guy who had the Corsa test 05... very exotic sounding to me. Didn't like it.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #27
MyPetGoat

2005 GTO Owner

When are the sounds clips for the corsa gong to be available i heard it sounds like the c6 and the c6 sounds really nice with that exhaust
Old 09-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #28
yesbill
Linear.....not explosive.

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

Best sound is a STOCK 04. Raspy, stacatto, deep, mellow and any and all combonations of the above depending at what throttle input and RPM you choose....in a M6 of course.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #29
booster
It's never fast enough....

Vauxhall CV8/VXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesbill...
Best sound is a STOCK 04. Raspy, stacatto, deep, mellow and any and all combonations of the above depending at what throttle input and RPM you choose....in a M6 of course.

Then how are gto exhaust makers still in business!
Old 09-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #30
ToddO
Gone but not forgotten

2005 GTO Owner

I didn't care for the x pipe pre-LT's. Now I couldn't imagine life without it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: