P0601 code - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
baron7309100

P0601 code

hello my 2006 automatic GTO with 28k miles is giving this code P0601 Internal Control Module memory check sum error. i've done some research and i guess it is the powertrain control module or PCM problem. has anybody had this problem and how did you fix it? Can you tell me where this part is located? thanks
P0601 code repaired powertrain control module

UPDATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got my 06 GTO back today from the dealer with good news. this repair was covered under warranty. i am posting the techs notes here on the fix.

check engine light comes on customer states the vehicle intermitently no start no crank when vehicle doesn't start check engine light is on and then after vehicle starts light goes out.

scanned vehicle with TECH II DTC P0601 stored. engine does not crank intermitently & DTC P0601 sets current. internal pcm fault. replaced pcm. programmed pcm software& performed pcm to pim linking. programming codes FDE4C & 1174B. preformed cranksfaft position variation relearn. cleared DTCS. engine cranks and runs properly. road tested vehicle ok.
the only warranty left on the car would be the emission warranty.

Last edited by baron7309100; 12-01-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: CAR REPAIRED
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
baron7309100

Thanks for your reply. Can anyone tell me the location of the ecm in the car? is this something i can do with average mechanical smarts. there is a site where i can buy a new ecm programed to my vin number for $380. the reason i ask is my car is only starting and running for a few seconds then quits. then it may not start again for a day and run for a few seconds. diagnosis is $105 plus a $100 tow that would be close to $220 towards a new ecm if i do it myself.

Last edited by baron7309100; 11-17-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
allthrottle421
allthrottle421

2006 GTO Owner

I had this same problem yesterday and it was loose battery cables. So check your battery, load test, corrosion, loose ends and clear the code and see what happens.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
baron7309100

thanks i have had some problems with my battery it is still oem from dec 06. i can get a new one from autozone for $94.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
allthrottle421
allthrottle421

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron7309100...View Post
thanks i have had some problems with my battery it is still oem from dec 06. i can get a new one from autozone for $94.

If you still have trouble after the battery install cleared code PM your e-mail and I will scan the service book on ECM replacement and send it to you.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
oodn-oodn
Registered lurker

+1 on making sure battery & terminals are good.

I got a P0601 code cleared by resynching the BCM, PCM, PIM, & both keys. The resynch had to be done in a specific sequence by a GM dealer with access to GMlink (not just a Tech2000), & the your car's "secret" codes are required (you have that card in your pile of documentation, don't you?).

The good news: the GM shop only charged 1 hour labor to do this & I didn't have to buy any hardware.

The bad news:
- AFAIK, only a GM shop can do this.
- While they only 1 hour labor, it the tech many hours over 1 week(!) to get it done right. The GTO resynch routine is unique & most GM shops don't see many GTOs.
- If this resynch doesn't fix the problem, you probably need to replace the PCM.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
baron7309100

thanks for your post oodn
Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
baron7309100

i changed the battery and deleted the code no change in the car. i did need a battery though the case was leaking and i had corrosion on the battery tray so good thing i replaced it.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
oodn-oodn
Registered lurker

If your car is still throwing a P0601 code & shutting down immediately after it starts (security lockdown, or whatever), I'd recommend following my previously "bad news" routine. Let a GM shop have at it & ask (beg?) them to not stick it to you or throw parts haphazardly at it. Good news: they may be able to fix the car by just resetting everything without replacing parts. Bad news: if they determine that something is bad, you're kinda stuck with them since your car will be sitting in their shop.

I'd be concerned that a replacement PCM or whatever, even if coded to your VIN from the supplier, will need the other modules (BCM/PIM/keys) resynched in order to clear the P0601 code. AFAIK, only a GM dealer can do that, so you're still stuck hauling your dead car to a GM shop & paying them a bit of labor to do it.

If someone knows for sure an alternate way to resolve this, please chime in. I really dislike the idea of being tethered to a GM shop to resynch my car's computers if something hiccups or temporarily loses its mind.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
baron7309100

thanks for your post oodn. can't just throw $400 parts at a car. i will have it taken to GM shop. old shade tree mechanic here.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Phoenix
It will rise again
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2004 GTO Owner

I thought the pcm was covered under the 8/80k emissions warranty
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
baron7309100

P0601 code

Phoenix i mentioned that to the service rep but not very forthcoming with any info on that. basically said 3 years 36 thousand miles.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
baron7309100

well i dropped off my 06 GTO at the GM shop for a diagnosis. I'll post the results. I did mention the post from you oodn just to give them a starting point. thanks for all who replied.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
baron7309100

Thumbs up P0601 code repaired powertrain control module

i got my 06 GTO back today from the dealer with good news. this repair was covered under warranty. i am posting the techs notes here on the fix.

check engine light comes on customer states the vehicle intermitently no start no crank when vehicle doesn't start check engine light is on and then after vehicle starts light goes out.

scanned vehicle with TECH II DTC P0601 stored. engine does not crank intermitently & DTC P0601 sets current. internal pcm fault. replaced pcm. programmed pcm software& performed pcm to pim linking. programming codes FDE4C & 1174B. preformed cranksfaft position variation relearn. cleared DTCS. engine cranks and runs properly. road tested vehicle ok.
the only warranty left on the car would be the emission warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: