Steering wheel shake *solutions* continued - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Brakes

Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
UnRelentLess
"Legen― wait for it... Dary!"

2004 GTO Owner

Steering wheel shake *solutions* continued

Yes, title is misleading. I do not have the "solution" to the 65mph-75mph steering wheel shake but I'm well aware of what it is not. I am currently suffering from the steering wheel shake at the oddly specific speed which others have suffered from, and I don't have the money to waste on replacing parts which are not bad / causing the shake. I recently replaced a bunch of my front end suspension and tires when I had a "dual blow out" and the new struts / polyurethane parts exacerbate the shake.

If you have suffered from the exact issue of the 65-75mph wheel shake, whether under accel or braking, please provide how you managed to solve and/or mitigate the shake. I would like to deduce the cause of this issue.

Things which are NOT the steering wheel shake:
Front Strut Mounts
Front Struts
Front Strut endlinks
Front Springs
New Tires?
Torque method of lugnuts
Alignment
New road safe outer tie rods

Things I believe are related to and/or main cause of the shake which I have yet to rule out:
Lower front control arm bushings *Haven't replaced them yet*
Rim or rims might be bent and regular tire balance machine / tech didn't catch it.
Rotor / pads warped / run out
Hub bearings
Rust / brake dust build up on hub
Sway bar bushings *Haven't installed the pedders ones yet*
And I haven't considered this yet but I replaced my stock radius rod casters with pedders versions 50,000 miles ago. Could be possible they are going bad leading to and/or contributing to the wheel shake?

I find it amazing that this issue has plagued GTO owners for years and nobody has yet to give a definitive solution.
Some people changed rotors and pads and claim to have lost their wheel shake.
Some have changed rim and tires repeatedly to get rid of the shake.
Some owners have odd specified parts installed which eliminated the wheel shake, then never let anyone make any changes so that it wouldn't return.

I'm hoping that this year, we're going to solve this!

Last edited by UnRelentLess; 01-24-2012 at 11:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Wagonbacker9

2006 GTO Owner

I read a thread where a guy claimed several different tires caused different levels of shake. Seemed far-fetched to me, but... idk. I've yet to experience the shake with 3 different sets of wheels, including one bent draglite (didn't find out it was bent until after I traded it off.. yes I felt bad) and tires durring the 6K I've put on my car (71K total on it)

Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Have the tires been road force balanced?
I've had luck with road force balancing the tires and using a torque stick with my impact gun. The torque stick seems to keep brake pulsation to a minimum as well.
Vararam
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Mine was caused by incorrect amount of friction modifier in gear oil. Using the premixed current recommended GM fluid fixed most of it. Remaining fixed with road force balance. Smooth as ice once again, so there is hope, just a matter of determining what it is on your car, and correcting.

"Others have caught on, but they haven't caught up." ...1968 GTO ad
Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Stoopalini
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I had the shake when I got the car. New rotors and pads helped, but it was still there. I replaced the Strut Mounts, Front Control Arm, Radius Rod, and Rear Control Arm bushings with poly, and it was still there. I even have 2 sets of stock 17" wheels; one with street tires and one with track tires (NT01s). The vibration was worse with the street tires, but still present with the track tires on.

What ended up fixing it for me was replacing the studs and lugnuts. I now have ARP studs front and rear, as well as gorilla lugnuts, and it appears the shake is gone.

Cluster Programming Sheet

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
treyelchivo
Wait, what?

2006 GTO Owner

Hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels.
Built 4L65E A-4, FTI 2800, Derale pan, B&M cooler, Vararam, LS3 heads/ intake,Walboro 255 fuel pump, catted Kooks, custom stainless 3" catback w/x-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, Pedders zero drops, Pedders comfort gas shocks & struts, 100% Pedderized bushings, Drag bags, 18" AZA Z-8's Staggered. (403 in progress!)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
csucguy18

2005 GTO Owner

I have a set of stock 17's and stock 18's and completely stock suspension. The 18s have worn tires and I get wheel shake(shake got more noticable the less tread I had). The 17's have new all season tires, no shake and smooth as butter on the freeway.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Wagonbacker9

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by csucguy18...View Post
I have a set of stock 17's and stock 18's and completely stock suspension. The 18s have worn tires and I get wheel shake(shake got more noticable the less tread I had). The 17's have new all season tires, no shake and smooth as butter on the freeway.

Get the 18s rebalanced.. thats an easy one.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
csucguy18

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9...View Post
Get the 18s rebalanced.. thats an easy one.

I did, shake was still present.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
sporaclic
05' CGM GTO

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to sporaclic
I have a thread just like this one that probably 20 pages long by now with tons of results of peoples struggles/success

Ive spent alot of money and time in this issue and somehow it always comes back to the tires in the end.

This car needs perfect tire wear and balance on perfectly true front rims.
If any of these aspects are not 100% you will shake.

The thing that hasnt been solved is wtf is in our front ends that makes it THAT sensitive to tires/wheels.. which is the real problem at hand but, in the end.. its always solved with tires... well almost always.. there was a couple of unexplainable circumstances.

If you have a new set of tires and balance.
Bring them to your shop and ask them to check for anything wrong with the rim tire combo whatsoever. They have a tool they use to see if there is anything spinning untrue.
They dont use this typically when balancing.
Its how i found out one of my aftermarket rims was slightly bent and not spinning perfectly. Needless to say after that rim went on the shake was 100% gone. I drove on the highway for days for no reason but to enjoy it after fighting with it so long.

Now for the bad news, i still get shake problems with slightly improperly worn tires, if the weight of the balance is off even a hair and for some reason with my summer tires the first mile or so on the highway everytime i let it sit overnight (im pretty sure they flatspot that quickly due to the compound)

Ive spend alot of money investigating part failures and it was just a waste.

Properly torqued lugnuts are helpful but not always the answer

Poly RR bushings double how sensitive the car is to the shake,
It is not the answer either though but if you have alot of shake with poly bushings, half is gone if you go back to stock.. if you have a little shake, its all gone with stock bushings.

Watch your tires and rims closely and dont overinflate. You do not want to bend your rim ever so slightly and give yourself a headache for years like i did.

Good luck everyone as it is a very frustrating issue for some and it seems hopeless.
My current stock wheels and snow tires shake bad, and i hate it.. i need to get them balanced and hope it goes away.

My car was technically sold for 24 hours or so because of this reason, but then the dealer tried to screw me and i backed out.

CTS-V caliper, Bmw 745i rotors
GMM ripShifter , Lous Short stick
18" vmr v710s and 18" tsw thruxtons
Bridgestone re-11
BC Coilovers
Front and Rear RR Bushing, Subframe Bushings
Pedders Xtreme steering rack,Hotchkis Sways
Depot Taillights,Llyod mats,Pioneer touchscreen
K&n Intake, Kooks afterburner axleback exhaust,Kooks stepped headers,Hinson Motor mounts
383hp/387tq
WCS front SAP grilles,
lower honeycomb and front splitter
MavMan Spoiler
and more

Last edited by sporaclic; 01-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
sporaclic
05' CGM GTO

2005 GTO Owner

here is my 22 page thread for those interested

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ng+wheel+shake

wow i just noticed from my first to last post in that thread it went on for 2 years.. not to mention i struggled for a year or more before that...

I HATE STEERING WHEEL SHAKE! lol weirdest thing is the car always rides butter smooth otherwise leaving no signs of why you have a shake

Last edited by sporaclic; 01-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
UnRelentLess

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporaclic...View Post
here is my 22 page thread for those interested

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ng+wheel+shake

wow i just noticed from my first to last post in that thread it went on for 2 years.. not to mention i struggled for a year or more before that...

I HATE STEERING WHEEL SHAKE! lol weirdest thing is the car always rides butter smooth otherwise leaving no signs of why you have a shake

Heh, actually I read up on that thread and was amazed that after pointing out the issue, the problem had yet been properly identified after all that time. I was hoping to re-kindle the interest of the steering wheel shake to see if anyone had discovered the actual cause and proper fix yet.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Jim Ignatowski
Hope he gets it!

2006 GTO Owner

I found that really cranking on my endlink connection to the strut really helped, until they loosened up again a week later.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
SoCar Goat
The Retired One

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via ICQ to SoCar Goat
I find it odd that it seems to be either you have it or you don't.

Mine has never had it going from stock to a Track II setup to rebuilding the whole front suspension with coilovers and new bushings with all the track days and brake crap that I have done.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
sonofgasguy
never had a car this good

2006 GTO Owner

I began noticing a little shake last summer. I'd had a wheel off to check something and figured to resolve the shake by re-tightening the lugs with a torque wrench. But that didn't do it. So now I'm in the "uneven front tire wear" camp. I'll know this spring when I change the front tires.
2006 CGM A4 18" (built 5/06) 1:269
347 RWHP/345 RWTQ
Kooks 1 3/4" LT's w/ hi-flow cats, magnaflow cat-back, Diablosport custom tune, Volant CAI, Vector HSRK, GForce level 2 half shafts and bolt-together inner stubs, Pedders Street II, SLP skid plate, SAP repro grills, wingless, polished billet arrowheads

1968 Firebird Convertible
Aluetian Blue ext., Deluxe Teal int., White top
No.s matching 350-2v and Super Turbine 300 (2 sp.)auto, 14" Rally IIs

Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
LS2 MN6
Premium Member

Other Holden/HSV

Premium Member

There are two generic reasons for the shake (according to chassis engineering at GM)

1. Brake Pulsation
2. Smooth Road Shake

The first is typically a rotor or pad problem, sometimes you can mitigate it other times you can't. The second is a steering issue, mostly caused by unbalanced wheels or bent rims. However both are present at around 80 mph, regardless of if you feel it or not. The presence may be minor but it exists, it relates to harmonics.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
holler
"There's no good sharks?"

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6...View Post
There are two generic reasons for the shake (according to chassis engineering at GM)

The second is a steering issue, mostly caused by unbalanced wheels or bent rims.

yep, my shake completely goes away when I mount my winter wheels. It's definitely wheel/tire related and to lesser degree the mating and torqueing procedures when attaching said wheel... my winter wheels with hub rings have a very very snug fit when mounting on the hub and I feel this snuggness minimizes any case of steering shake.
Frt&Rr 13.7CTS-V Brembo-ARH 1 7/8 Hdrs with hf cats-Vararam Intake-BTR dual springs Plat-Ti Rtnrs-BilletPro Shifter-SpeedInc SI4 Cam and Tune-LS2 intake ported-CXRacing Coilovers 7gF&9gR- Revshift Motor mounts-Turner adjustable end links-SLP Rear Swaybar-Pedders Strut Mounts RR and rear endlink Bush-Pedders Frnt Sway-Energy Subframe Bush-HBD Steering Wheel-19's ROH Drift R's-SLP UD pulley-Corsa Sport Catback Exhaust-JHP Red Gauge-06 tails 412/383 rwhp

Last edited by holler; 01-13-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
sporaclic
05' CGM GTO

2005 GTO Owner

Figured id add that my winter wheels were shaking when i put them on a couple weeks ago.
Got them balanced still shook but less.

I was running full positive caster, i went back to stock caster settings on my Bushings and changed nothing else... my shake is 99% gone on these wheels.. i had a couple moments were it vibrated a little bit but was pretty smooth otherwise.

Comes back to the front suspension geometry that was mentiond.
When you pull the wheel forward in relation to the rest of the linkage you put stress on things that were not intended to work in sync at that angle.
Now were talking minor amounts here but,its appearantly enough to effect steering wheel shake. It may have been designed to sit at that much caster for a reason.

Much less feedback is being transmitted threw the wheel going back to stock setting as well.
Those with high positive caster, see if it helps you out by going back to stock caster settings.

Last edited by sporaclic; 01-15-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
SIGTO

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to SIGTO
I don't see tie rod ends anywhere on that list. I had a pretty bad shimmy in the wheel between 65-75mph. Couldn't figure it out. Nothing was visibly bad...cnanged tie rod ends and problem solved.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
treyelchivo
Wait, what?

2006 GTO Owner

Well yesterday I put a dial indicator on the lip of my wheels to check runout. One was off about .006", the other, .019". I got them both down to within .004" and the shake is almost gone. My tires are worn pretty bad up front thanks to a large concrete/steel chunk sticking up out of a rr crossing, so the tires have a bit of runout. My hub rings are 72.62 mm. My wheels measured 72.5 mm so I figured the interference fit would be enough to properly center the wheel. I guess they are getting worn. I ordered some new rings 73 mm and will update. Hope this helps.

Last edited by treyelchivo; 01-23-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #21
treyelchivo
Wait, what?

2006 GTO Owner

The runout I'm my tires is more than likely caused by running them with the wheels off center, not from the alignment problems I had. They are unevenly worn on the edges. Thought I would throw that in.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
UnRelentLess

2004 GTO Owner

Update:

I haven't had my rotors or wheels rechecked yet for run-out / uneven balance, etc.

However I did have my power steering line fail. The stupid rubber section upfront that connects the power steering hard-lines from the cooler to the pump. While driving the vehicle with no power steering, the shake was redicioulously worse even at lower speeds now!

I flushed out all the old fluid, incase there might of been a hint of regular power steering fluid in the system Used a fuel line hose and new clamps, put in fresh ATF fluid, took a few mins for the pump to quiet down. .. Go cruise and take her up to 70mph, steering wheel shake is nearly gone??!!?!!?

I intend to replace the pump since that has a slow leak (and I don't trust it since I drove on it for a couple days with no fluid). This section of hose is known for leaking on our GTOs, I knew mine slowly leaked, but it was never enough to be a concern. Once I replace the pump I'll have definite results. But I'm starting to believe this wheel shake is related to the steering pump and or leak and or fluid that is in the system. I searched and I've seen someone else ALSO mention the steering pump being related with similar results in the mysterious steering wheel shake.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
burnt goat
Hey

2006 GTO Owner

i have had this shake come and go, mine is from 60-68mph, mine is directlly related to tires, put new tires on, no shake, after 6-7K miles i rotate the tires, and i get the shake, rotaote them back, and the the shake remains, after another 6-7K mile get new tires, and the shake is gone. I have pedders shocks and springs all the way around, and the shake has come and gone just the same.

'06 BOM M6
Mods:
PaceSetter LT's, SLP LM1, Pedders, Whiteline, BMR, Billet Prototypes, K&N, Hurst, Maverick Man Carbon, Holley, MSD, DSS one piece, ported ls2 intake, Monster Level 2
tuned by Phoenix 370/380
Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
esau999
O_o

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt goat...View Post
i have had this shake come and go, mine is from 60-68mph, mine is directlly related to tires, put new tires on, no shake, after 6-7K miles i rotate the tires, and i get the shake, rotaote them back, and the the shake remains, after another 6-7K mile get new tires, and the shake is gone. I have pedders shocks and springs all the way around, and the shake has come and gone just the same.

My shake oscillates at 70mph: if I stick my car on cruise on a straight, level highway at 70mph, my shake gradually cycles from not-so-bad to bad and back again. But I chalk this up to uneven tire wear on EACH of my 4 tires, because I live in the land of road hazards and have had to replace odd tires at odd mileages. One of these days, I expect I'll get fed up and just replace all 4 tires, get an alignment, and probably be done with steering wheel shake...until the next eventual and inevitable road hazard.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
UnRelentLess

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt goat...View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau999...View Post
My shake oscillates at 70mph: if I stick my car on cruise on a straight, level highway at 70mph, my shake gradually cycles from not-so-bad to bad and back again. But I chalk this up to uneven tire wear on EACH of my 4 tires, because I live in the land of road hazards and have had to replace odd tires at odd mileages. One of these days, I expect I'll get fed up and just replace all 4 tires, get an alignment, and probably be done with steering wheel shake...until the next eventual and inevitable road hazard.

Yeah the shake occurs at 60ish to 75ish then levels out .. kinda beyond that. (The higher mph shake is because my aluminum drive shaft is off balance.)

More than likely the shake is related to the tires because this is my first time with eagle gt on the front and so far... I hate them. I'm sure the power steering assists in mitigating the vibration hence I felt the difference and I wonder if a new pump will eliminate the shake all together, regardless of tires on the front.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #26
DocDiggy

2005 GTO Owner

Mine started shaking after I changed all my pads and rotors. Before I could drive 100mph smooth as butter. I tried my torque wrench on the lugs. I thought I was good to go. Couple days later it came back. My front tires are shit though. See what happens come spring with the new tires.

Pacesetter LT's, Vararam, GMM Ripshift, Borla Catback, Catless Mids, 3.91s, Ls2 Portworks Manifold & TB, JamesBiz CC, IAT relocate, 06 Tails, Splitter, Red stuff, more Blue stuff.
1 of 146.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
sporaclic
05' CGM GTO

2005 GTO Owner

trying lowering your psi on your tires if your over the factoy 35, even a 34.. see if it makes a difference.. My winter tires shake WAY worse at 39psi than they do at 34. psi
If you know your tires are shit and cant get new ones yet... at least it makes it more tolerable if it helps.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
sporaclic
05' CGM GTO

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnRelentLess...View Post
Update:

I haven't had my rotors or wheels rechecked yet for run-out / uneven balance, etc.

However I did have my power steering line fail. The stupid rubber section upfront that connects the power steering hard-lines from the cooler to the pump. While driving the vehicle with no power steering, the shake was redicioulously worse even at lower speeds now!

I flushed out all the old fluid, incase there might of been a hint of regular power steering fluid in the system Used a fuel line hose and new clamps, put in fresh ATF fluid, took a few mins for the pump to quiet down. .. Go cruise and take her up to 70mph, steering wheel shake is nearly gone??!!?!!?

I intend to replace the pump since that has a slow leak (and I don't trust it since I drove on it for a couple days with no fluid). This section of hose is known for leaking on our GTOs, I knew mine slowly leaked, but it was never enough to be a concern. Once I replace the pump I'll have definite results. But I'm starting to believe this wheel shake is related to the steering pump and or leak and or fluid that is in the system. I searched and I've seen someone else ALSO mention the steering pump being related with similar results in the mysterious steering wheel shake.

It may not be the cause of the shake but it may be what makes the car that sensitive to a shake.
I was actually thinking of trying a fluid change and now i might actually go threw with it and see what happens.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
aquariussuperman
Christian Goat

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

As soon as I mounted the stock 17s, the shake went away (65-75mph). Hubcentric rings on aftermarket wheels seem to help, but they didn't eliminate the shake 100%. I'll be on stock 17s for a while unless someone figures out a simple solution.

Click for more pictures...

_______,
_____0/
____/7,
___.'(
_'^ / >
__/ <
__`
Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
sporaclic
05' CGM GTO

2005 GTO Owner

stock 17s can shake just as easy with minor tire imperfections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: