I Hate the Smell of Gear Lube - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

I Hate the Smell of Gear Lube

but that hasn't stopped me from tearing differentials apart. This morning I picked up center section from a board member (thanks again Shoddy) and took it to school to begin the disassemly/reassembly process. I wanted the least amount of downtime, so this was the best route for me. Thanks to Konnie's thread in this section, I got all of the part numbers I needed and gave them to my boss. Can you say Eaton Trutrac and 3.91s?
Center section anxiously awaiting it's fate.

My instructors had the same reaction that Konnie's instructors had when I pulled the cover off. One even called it a "Forderloet" (pronounced Ford-a-lay). Then the guess game begin over how to remove the stubs. A prybar later, they were out.
Once the stubs were out I grabbed a spanner wrench and got the side adjusters out. After reading a few horror stories about needing a special tool and how much of a pain they were to remove I was shocked that I did this by myself.
After I got the side adjusters out, the carrier pretty much fell out of the housing and onto the bench.

Now before I was allowed to put the housing in the steam bath, my instructor did a demo on welding races to get them out of the housing. That was pretty darned cool. I just had to wait until the housing was cooled enough to get it cleaned up.

I was surprised to learn that the stubs were two different lengths. Please bear with me as I've never had an IRS differential apart. The other diffs I've worked on have been Ford 9".

Tomorrow I'll remove the ring gear and take a look at the carrier to see if there's anything wrong with it. The ring gear has an interesting wear pattern on the drive side. I'll get pictures of that tomorrow as well.
After the housing came out of the hot tank, I sandblasted it. It's going to be powdercoated. I'm thinking fire engine red or black chrome. We'll see.

If you want any specific pictures of the old parts please let me know. I will update this thread as new stuff comes in and the diff goes back together. I'm not really looking forward to taking the diff that's in my car out, simply because I'm really short and most of the people that will want to help are at least a foot taller than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogs...View Post
"drugs are very bad for you....very very bad.."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
IBM05GTO
4X4 Beast VV :D

2005 GTO Owner

They are simply simple aren't they! I remember doing my diff about a month ago. I still have my old spare sitting in the garage. It turns out what I originally thought was my diff going out was simply just the side adjuster working itself loose. Oh well, I got a fully rebuilt rear with a eaton truetrac sitting in the car now
ASP - Comp Cams - Lvl 5 PBA 4L65E Trans - Team SCSS - NGK - Yank - Yella Terra - HPtuners - Corsa - Borla - DSS - Eaton - Pedders - Koni - Whiteline - Hotchkis - DBA - Hawk - Hinson - Pioneer - Infinity - Fog DRL's - HID's

SOLD 8/20/12 with above ^^ mods still on it
2012 Tacoma TRD Sport NBM 4X4 Longbed 1 of 1 in CA
The mod bug has started on IT as well
Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Yes, they are! They are also considerably easier to set up that some other differentials out there.
Today I pulled the differential apart and learned quite a few things. I learned what a spring tuning kit is and where it goes. I also found out what may have been busticated on this differential.
My first thought was that the diff had been run low on oil. I thought this for two reasons. One reason is because when I pulled the fill plug, my short fingers didn't feel any oil. It wasn't until I pulled the drain plug that I discovered that there was oil in the unit (Heh she said unit.) The other reason I thought the unit may had been run low on oil was because of the way the pinion turned. It felt like there was some binding going on. It turns out that the unit had not been run low on oil, so I needed to do more digging. Out came the impact and a few other tools. I must admit that I forgot that the ring gear bolts are left hand thread. I got that figure out pretty quick. Once I got the diff apart I called over my instructor and got an impromptu lesson.
I learned that the diffs in our cars are basically a smaller version of what you'd find on a big truck. My instructor thought this was really cool. He also mentioned that I may get to see these this summer.
hotos I took today:
Ring gear pattern

Differential coming apart:

Bustimicated parts:

I haven't decided if I'm going to order the spring tuning kit and reassemble the unit. I know the kit isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but do I really need 2 stock differentials lying around?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
CGMike

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks for the pictures. I have never had the GTO differential apart before. For the spring tuning kit, would the whole diff need to be disassembled like you did there? I guess I still dont quite understand how that kit works...

Current Other Cars:
03 SV650
59 VW Bug
11 BMW 135
06 WRX
03 Dakota R/T

www.etsy.com/shop/pawliciouspets
Pet beds, blankets, and toys.

WTB: DuSpeed
Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Yes, it does. The fifth picture shows how they sit in the middle of the differential. You can leave the ring gear attached. In fact it's a bit of a PITA to remove the ring gear. Nothing a BFH or torch wouldn't cure.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
CGMike

2006 GTO Owner

Well if Im going to pull the diff, Im going to replace it. haha. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
slacker83

Watch out for powdercoating the housing because I'm sure there are some areas of it that are very tight tolerances and if you put on some heavy powder it might not fit as well as it should. I had a friend powdercoat a bellhousing for the hell of it and had to grind out the center because the transmission collar would hit. Other then that everything looks good
Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

God I wish I had your photog skills. I can actually see the pattern clearly. Pinion was a little too low, and the backlash was wide. Fairly typical.

The M80 is a great unit to work with, and yes gear lube smells. You get used to it.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker83...View Post
Watch out for powdercoating the housing because I'm sure there are some areas of it that are very tight tolerances and if you put on some heavy powder it might not fit as well as it should. I had a friend powdercoat a bellhousing for the hell of it and had to grind out the center because the transmission collar would hit. Other then that everything looks good

The company that's powdercoating the housing has tons of experience doing housings and engine blocks. I'm hoping they take care when they do mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnie the Goat...View Post
God I wish I had your photog skills. I can actually see the pattern clearly. Pinion was a little too low, and the backlash was wide. Fairly typical.

The M80 is a great unit to work with, and yes gear lube smells. You get used to it.

Thanks Konnie. If I said I didn't enjoy what I do, I'd be lying. If all goes well I'll have all my parts next week and will be able to begin assembly. I'm seriously wondering why people have a hard time setting this particular differential up. One of my classmates is working on an 05 Mustang that has a solid axle. Talk about a major PITA to work with. I do NOT envy him at this moment. Maybe I will when it comes time to remove the diff that's in my car...LOL
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
ShoddyHog
NOT stoned -- born retarded!!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I hate that smell. Just changed mine last week.

Little history on that diff...it clunked in parking lots when turning from day one, and I assume that was from the incorrect pinion adjustment.

I changed the fluid the first and two more times (it didn't like Amsoil) before it failed around 50k. It did have a pinion seal fail at 36,500 that the dealer replaced under warranty, but I caught it right away.

Shauna, I thought about it yesterday after you left, and I did drain the fluid. I even remember posting a picture of it here. That's why my coworkers don't ask me questions till I've had my first cup of coffee.

It started whining one day after I'd had a little wheel hop in the rain. It quickly got worse.

www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyHog...View Post

Svede Speed OTRCAI [B]/[/B] StolenFox H-Pipe [B]/[/B] SLP UDP [B]/[/B] Elite Catch Can [B]/[/B] LS7 Clutch [B]/[/B] GMM Rip Shifter [B]/[/B] Pedders [B]/[/B] PLX Wideband - HP Tuners - ShoddyTune[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Konnie the Goat
Will Moderhate for Money.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The 8.8SRA has its quirks. I've done lots of those, and the c-clips manage to piss me off every time. Somehow, they are a bigger PITA than a 10bolt.

its hard to say why folks have issues with these diffs. I think its a combination of not caring, and listening to the wrong folks. Namely the folks who insist there is something special about setting this unit up. There really isnt. As you are about to see, the 'hard' part is going to go exactly like a 9". It really doesnt get any easier than that.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
I hate that smell. Just changed mine last week.

Little history on that diff...it clunked in parking lots when turning from day one, and I assume that was from the incorrect pinion adjustment.

I changed the fluid the first and two more times (it didn't like Amsoil) before it failed around 50k. It did have a pinion seal fail at 36,500 that the dealer replaced under warranty, but I caught it right away.

Shauna, I thought about it yesterday after you left, and I did drain the fluid. I even remember posting a picture of it here. That's why my coworkers don't ask me questions till I've had my first cup of coffee.

It started whining one day after I'd had a little wheel hop in the rain. It quickly got worse.

www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212659

Tomorrow I will try to get some photos of how the bearings were wandering around on the races. Do you want me to rebuild the diff and give it back to you minus the case? From what I can tell all it needs is a spring tuning kit and some bearings. You could have an extra on hand just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnie the Goat...View Post
The 8.8SRA has its quirks. I've done lots of those, and the c-clips manage to piss me off every time. Somehow, they are a bigger PITA than a 10bolt.

its hard to say why folks have issues with these diffs. I think its a combination of not caring, and listening to the wrong folks. Namely the folks who insist there is something special about setting this unit up. There really isnt. As you are about to see, the 'hard' part is going to go exactly like a 9". It really doesnt get any easier than that.

The c-clips and a couple of other things are just stupid. Of course he replaced the diff with an Auburn and that totally changed everything.
So far the hard part has been getting the diff out of my trunk and onto the teardown table...LOL Again if anyone wants pictures of anything specific, please let me know and I'll take them for you.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
ShoddyHog

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissGTO...View Post
Tomorrow I will try to get some photos of how the bearings were wandering around on the races. Do you want me to rebuild the diff and give it back to you minus the case? From what I can tell all it needs is a spring tuning kit and some bearings. You could have an extra on hand just in case.

Hmmm....I always said if I had a problem with this one, I'd just have 3.91s installed. Nice to know who in the area can do it.

Whatever you do with it, don't throw the stubs away. The ones in my car now are most certainly as twisted as I am.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
cyplandscape
got mods

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

I haven't decided if I'm going to order the spring tuning kit and reassemble the unit. I know the kit isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but do I really need 2 stock differentials lying around?

Looking good Shauna, congrats on your new found talent in the mechanics field!
Mine is making noise, all the reason for me doing what you did to that one. Only problem is I have a job already, no lift, not enough tools to get mine out and torn apart. Then what would I do with pieces/parts laying all over the place?

QSM/Red-M6-389hp/405tq.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Hmmm....I always said if I had a problem with this one, I'd just have 3.91s installed. Nice to know who in the area can do it.

Whatever you do with it, don't throw the stubs away. The ones in my car now are most certainly as twisted as I am.

The stubs have been run through the parts washer and cleaned up. I have another spare set here, so you're covered no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyplandscape...View Post
Looking good Shauna, congrats on your new found talent in the mechanics field!
Mine is making noise, all the reason for me doing what you did to that one. Only problem is I have a job already, no lift, not enough tools to get mine out and torn apart. Then what would I do with pieces/parts laying all over the place?

Thanks Dennis! If I still have the diff around the time of the Fall Dragon Run, I'll bring it with me for you.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
ShoddyHog

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
The stubs have been run through the parts washer and cleaned up. I have another spare set here, so you're covered no matter what.

Cool. I think I'm sticking with my decision to retire her from the track for now, but you never know when I'll wheel hop and snap one. Hell, I should have snapped them at the track already.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
ForzaFTW

2004 GTO Owner

Seeing threads like these make me feel like rebuilding my own differential more and more. It's amazing to see how non-complicated it really is in there! I really feel like I could of saved my old diff instead of scrapping it!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Cruiser787904
Blown by TVS 1900

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

How much do you want for it after its rebuilt? I could use a strong spare and i have been eyeing up an entire rear for $300 on fleabay. All I need is the carrier so this would be better...

edit: Just pulled the trigger on the full center section. If you could post up torque specs and specific on setting back lash and adjusting the side adjusters that would be awesome....

Last edited by Cruiser787904; 03-22-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Oddly, I like the smell of gear lube.

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2008 HHR SS tweaked
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
Old 03-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser787904...View Post
How much do you want for it after its rebuilt? I could use a strong spare and i have been eyeing up an entire rear for $300 on fleabay. All I need is the carrier so this would be better...

edit: Just pulled the trigger on the full center section. If you could post up torque specs and specific on setting back lash and adjusting the side adjusters that would be awesome....

I'll get the specs when I get to school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post

That's because you're odd...LOL
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #21
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post

Yeah, gear lube is nothing compared to pulling a head bolt out of an old engine, that smell fills the whole shop. Diesels are another lovely smell.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #22
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
Yeah, gear lube is nothing compared to pulling a finger out of an old crack ho, that smell fills the whole shop.

Fixed.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
hardcore
HARDCORE since 1982

2004 GTO Owner

The Posi is the Major week link in the rear end..
I have seen many crack in two, If you can swing it get a Eaton..
BTW the pinion shims are between the housing and the race.
Most other rear end put the shims between the bearing and the pinion
10.95@123.46..1.50 60' motor pump gas
FLA's Fastest GTO

The Art of SPRAY...

Tuner of Florida's Fastest GTO's
GForce 1320 test car
33 spline spool-level 2 axles
DSS CF Drive Shaft
Custom FTI Converter

Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #24
A_VAS
Complete Street Performance
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2006 GTO Owner

it is simple to R&R if you are re-using the stock gearset, and the same shim that was under the pinion...as you are finding.
When you put a set of marginal quality 3.91 aftermarket gears in there...and have to find the optimal pinion depth to give a good pattern...that's likely where most go wrong. Either by not taking the time to get it right, or don't know how to determine a "correct" looking pattern.

Shoddy that looked like some good Barleywine in that glass....high viscosity LOL
when you open the hood, right there on the top of the engine, you can see a big wing nut holding on to a bolt that passes right through the engine, look underneath the car and you will see the bolt head sticking out of the pan, no they are not in line, if they were, then the crank would not be able to go round without hitting it.

whatever you do, don't undo the wing nut or the bolt! the engine will come apart the moment you try to start it!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #25
seawolf06
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore...View Post
The Posi is the Major week link in the rear end..
I have seen many crack in two, If you can swing it get a Eaton..
BTW the pinion shims are between the housing and the race.
Most other rear end put the shims between the bearing and the pinion

Is the posi the weakest link or is it the inner stubs?

The Car: '05 YJ M6
Go Mods: Lingenfelter CAI, Monster 2.5, Kooks LT headers/mids, SLP Predator, Corsa Touring, MGW-P
Suspension Mods: Harrop Diff Cover, Lovells Springs, Koni Sport Adjustables, Pedders strut and front RR bushings
Appearance Mods: Liquidome rear inserts and me behind the wheel
Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
EDISKRAD EHT
Back to Blown

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaFTW...View Post
Seeing threads like these make me feel like rebuilding my own differential more and more. It's amazing to see how non-complicated it really is in there!

Exactly what I was thinking.

(Previous) Maggie setup = 551RWHP/536RWTQ
(Current) Procharger F1A / 385 LS2 : 696RWHP/641RWTQ, MOAR timing + MOAR boost = ???
Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
Lkn4trouble
My little money pit

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Thanks for the excellent write up Shauna, and Shoddy for the donation, When it comes time for my 3.91's you'll be my gal!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser787904...View Post

Well our diffs don't use end caps so to speak, so there's no bolts to torque there. The only spec I could find is the pinion flange rotational torque, which is 2-4 inch pounds. I will discuss pinion preload and backlash with my instructors because I haven't been able to find a spec yet. When I decide on what I'm going to set them at I'll let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_VAS...View Post
it is simple to R&R if you are re-using the stock gearset, and the same shim that was under the pinion...as you are finding.
When you put a set of marginal quality 3.91 aftermarket gears in there...and have to find the optimal pinion depth to give a good pattern...that's likely where most go wrong. Either by not taking the time to get it right, or don't know how to determine a "correct" looking pattern.

Shoddy that looked like some good Barleywine in that glass....high viscosity LOL

I've got an Eaton Truetrac coming as well as Motive 3.91 gears. The guys that teach my major won't let me shortcut anything. Besides I don't want to have to take the diff out once it's in my car, so I'm going to take the time to make sure everything is spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkn4trouble...View Post
Thanks for the excellent write up Shauna, and Shoddy for the donation, When it comes time for my 3.91's you'll be my gal!

I'll be done with school by the time you need your differential done....LOL
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #29
dreadpirateroberts
derp

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
I was surprised to learn that the stubs were two different lengths. Please bear with me as I've never had an IRS differential apart.

what'd you do with those stubs i sold you back in the day?

those ones that came out of the diff you're working on now look pretty decent.

2004 Impulse Blue Metallic/Blue M6 - much slower than it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
I like my cars how I like my woman. Small, light, low to the ground and pre obd2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
GTO is jack of all trades, master of none.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #30
littlemissGTO
Gimp Fo Lyfe!

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvulpes...View Post
what'd you do with those stubs i sold you back in the day?

those ones that came out of the diff you're working on now look pretty decent.

They are still in the box you shipped them in. :-). I don't know what kind if shape my stock ones are in yet. Did you need them back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: