pics of Vararam please - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
ONE BAD GOAT

pics of Vararam please

I know you guys have a bunch of different ways of putting your own twist on this system. please post pics of the mods you made to it. Also can I get a pic that shows how the shroud needs to be cut? I am going to have new Era install it when they do my tune but wanted to make sure it was done in a way that gets the most power from it. Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Hockeyman
"I wish Cotton was a Monkey!"

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Only way I can describe on how to trim the fan shroud is;
- I first disconnected the electrical plugs and removed it altogether.
- After the shroud was out (for precautionary measures), I removed the fans from the plastic shroud.
- Then I placed the shroud on a table saw and cut off 1" from the top in a nice, straight line...<<--this method removed one of the electrical connection mounts and the top clip mount for the radiator cover from the shroud, but it wasn't a big deal.

You can use a dremel and cut the top of the shroud while it's still installed, but I didn't want to take a chance by accidentally hitting the radiator underneath. Besides, I wanted a clean-straight line, and the table saw worked perfectly.

Removing the shroud wasn't as easy as I thought because the lower radiator hose was blocking it from lifting out. To keep the hose from being damaged from removal/installation, I put a large flat & thin piece of plastic in front of it for protection, then the shroud lifted out with a "little more" ease. You'll see exactly what I mean when if and you're attempting to remove it.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
rsparso

2005 GTO Owner

I think you'll find plenty of pics doing a search. It's a very simple piece of equipment, a filter, a tray and a piece of tube. There's a big thread discussing the install.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
aintmisbehavinn
Spinning aint winning

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to aintmisbehavinn
I used a dremel, took one inch from the top, that's it, not a big deal.

2006 M6 - 1 of 147 ~ built by Vengenance

2007 Cadillac STS daily beater ~ 32V DOHC V8, A6, staggered speedlines, artic AC, hell fire seats, remote everything (bitches optional)...
1972 GMC Fleetside ~ AC, discs, HD leafs, full metal jacket, big blocked and stalled by Maddog's neck breaking L3 700R4..
92 Harley Hawg ~ Death trap sittin on S&S bores, big ass carbs, loud as hell pipes..

Last edited by aintmisbehavinn; 03-31-2012 at 05:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2008 HHR SS tweaked
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Joe.Zero
I think I broke it

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I used a dremel with it in the car and just covered everything I didn't want covered in hot plastic with rags. Lift it and use a wooden block to keep it lifted up. This will keep it clear of the radiator in case you do go too deep. I used a straight edge taped to the fan shroud to make a straight cut. After that the hardest and most time consuming part was measuring and cutting the radiator cover to be a nice tight fit.

"Drive faster and faster until the thrill of speed outweighs the fear of death." WFO Racing
Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
nvr2fst
KUDA

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I used a hack saw, didnt have a dremel and lifted it as much as i could outta the engine bay. You cant see it when the trays in anyways.

Front Mount TC78 Turbo (12PSI)
BORLA CATBACK
HP Tuners-Custom E85 Tune
Dual Lingenfelter Pumps, Return setup thru EVAP
Toyo RA1 275/45/18, Hyper SILVER VMR V710 STAGGERED
MGW-P SHORT THROW, TEXAS DRIVETRAIN LEVEL 3
BMR DRAG BAGS
CUSTOM FTI TURBO CAM
E85-85# SHIT Fast injectors
DSS 1000 WHP AXLES,STUBS
CAM ONLY NUMBERS 436hp, 418tq, NEW TURBO NUMBERS TBA...

My Build
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591666
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
ONE BAD GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post

as always zero to add
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
ONE BAD GOAT

thanks for the tips. Some say it rubs the hood and others say no. what mistakes are people making when it rubs? Is it a lack of quality control from vararam? when I insulate it should I insulate the whole bottom of ther tray? As far as the pipe insulation used to make a seal what size is that?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
parrish
05 M6 GTO

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE BAD GOAT...View Post
thanks for the tips. Some say it rubs the hood and others say no. what mistakes are people making when it rubs? Is it a lack of quality control from vararam? when I insulate it should I insulate the whole bottom of ther tray? As far as the pipe insulation used to make a seal what size is that?

For me the issue with the filter rubbing the hood was pretty simple once I figured it out. I kept thinking it was the taller end of the filter at the back that was rubbing/causing the hood to shut harder. It ended up that it was the front of the filter that was hitting. I kept thinking the tray was sitting up too high but there was nothing I could do to get it lower.

The fix? I trimmed about 1/4 off the silicone hose on the end that connects to the throttle body (I had to trim it there because of how the PCV connector is joined to that tube). Once I trimmed it that allowed the filter to sit about 1/4" closer to the engine- no more rubbing and the hood opens and closes like factory.

If I had figured that out in the beginning it would have saved me at least a 1/2 hour of work.
#1 2005 QSM M6 Red interior - 1 of 181 / Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Magnaflow, ported intake, SpeedInc 231 237 .589 .595 112 cam, JP double roller chain, PAC springs, Vararam, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Elite Engineering Catch Can, DSS CF Shaft, Pedders Streeet II, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars, Russell SS brake lines, GMM Race shifter, BMR Skid Plate. 426whp/397tq

#2 2012 Jeep GC Limited 5.7L Hemi. Hypertech Interceptor, Billet Technologies can

http://www.pathfindernetworks.com
Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I know you guys have a bunch of different ways of putting your own twist on this system. please post pics of the mods you made to it. Also can I get a pic that shows how the shroud needs to be cut? I am going to have new Era install it when they do my tune but wanted to make sure it was done in a way that gets the most power from it. Thanks Guys

Here's one that is driven a lot:

Vararam
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #12
NORICE4ME
half-assed garage queen

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Its for an install on a fast but it should help. Scroll down to post #29
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...372&highlight=
Comp Cams XER287, Vararam OTRCAI, VMAX P/P t.b., FAST90, KooKs 1 7/8 Catless, Corsa Sport cat-back, ASP U/D, 160 t-stat, E.E catch-can, TR-6 plugs, GMM Street, LSS, Spec 3+, 3.91's and Harrop cover, BC coilovers & Pedder's Goodies, SLP rear sway, Webasto Sun-Roof
PB:11.88@117.8 1.77-60' on dr's
Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
ONE BAD GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORICE4ME...View Post
Its for an install on a fast but it should help. Scroll down to post #29
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...372&highlight=

Thanks that is just what i was looking for. I take it you used a drimmel wheel to cut the cover?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
NORICE4ME
half-assed garage queen

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

No dremel.... im pretty nasty with a hacksaw blade
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
ONE BAD GOAT

wow impressive
Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
ONE BAD GOAT

also that molding around the shroud is that the same stuff the sell for car door edges?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
NORICE4ME
half-assed garage queen

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yup

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

I'd certainly put either choice of the OTRCAI further up my mod list if I didn't have to go cutting up -any- parts. Buying my GTO with 13k on it in Nov. grants me a pristine Radiator cover and shroud, and I've let to convince myself to butcher it.

With that said, I saw several GTOs when I was shopping for mine - a few missing a radiator cover. I always assumed they had been wrecked and some lazy bastage just didn't want to purchase a new radiator cover to make it whole again. After reading these threads, I realize that they were probably de-modded cars, but still my assumptions probably mimic other people who dont know better, so if I were to do this, I'd store my rad. cover away to put back should I ever want to part with her.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
NORICE4ME
half-assed garage queen

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I just bought a spare one to cut up. Problem solved. As for the rad shroud... thats a diffrent story

Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
ONE BAD GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORICE4ME...View Post
I just bought a spare one to cut up. Problem solved. As for the rad shroud... thats a diffrent story

does anyone know the part number for the cover or even if they make it still?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #21
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yeah, I bought a second radiator cover from Gene at GMPartsHouse and cut that one up, saved my original cover for later if needed.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #22
BLSGTOLS2

is the vararam better than the k&n?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #23
Joe.Zero
I think I broke it

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

I haven't gotten around to insulating mine yet since I blew all of my play money on a new clutch set up. Mine decided to sh*t the bed at 36k. My only rubbing issues came from the fire blanket. All I did there was use the dremel to cut out the a rectangle the size of the filter and it fit perfect.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #24
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
Here's one that is driven a lot:

I'm installing mine now, I hope to make it look just like that. I bought a spare radiator cover and a spare fan shroud so I can keep the originals intact. They should arrive tomorrow so I can finish the install. The VR tray is insulated (Reflectix) and it is fitting well and the hood opens and closes just fine. I hope to be able to cut the radiator cover cleanly like yours and make in a nice looking install. I still need to install the foam seal but that should be pretty straightforward. I need to find some trim to cover the cut edge of the top cover.

I may need to buy another red hose from Vararam as I kind of hacked up the one that came in the package. It fits and will work, but the cut edges on the throttle body aren't real smooth and I'd like a cleaner look. I'd also like to install the PCV outlet into the backside of the filter assembly. Having it come out of the red hose is kind of a hinky install and the brass barb is too much in the air flow and is kind of bumping up against the back edge of the MAF.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
Billmc1331

2004 GTO Owner

Here is mine.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-09 SMALL 11.jpg (141.6 KB, 116 views)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #26
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSGTOLS2...View Post
is the vararam better than the k&n?

is a woman better than a fleshlight?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #27
BLSGTOLS2

gotcha ima order one today then...but when you put the radiotor cover back on wont that cut some air flow from your front grille
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSGTOLS2...View Post
gotcha ima order one today then...but when you put the radiotor cover back on wont that cut some air flow from your front grille

The grill area doesn't feed the Vararam much (if at all) anyway. It gets air from the hood gap and the hood scoops. You can always cut the radiator top cover in such a way so as to leave a gap between the edge of the cover and the front of the VR tray so air from the grills can reach the tray. I'd venture a guess that almost all of the air going in the grills is going through the radiator and not up to the intake. Also, if you don't seal the tray to the hood well, it will pull in (hot) air from the engine compartment too.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
BLSGTOLS2

gotcha thanks man...any one want to buy a k&n cai?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #30
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

If you look, my radiator cover is cut low in front to allow air from the hood gap to blow into the tray area, also any excess air from in front of the condenser/radiator can flow up in to the tray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: