Ok, so I'm going to at least TRY this stuff out... - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Hockeyman
"I wish Cotton was a Monkey!"

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Ok, so I'm going to at least TRY this stuff out...

I saw it on Modern Marvels (History Channel) when they were doing a show on Waterproofing. It's called "Simoniz Glasscoat". I was telling the wife about it a few times. She finally decided to buy it for me, which was just to keep the subject from being mentioned *again*. Effective method

Anywho, we just purchased a small bottle of it on ebay for $83 shipped. Yeah yeah, I know...but I just want to try it. It's mentioned that it will protect the finish for up to 7 years. I honestly do not believe that it'll last THAT long, but if I get 3 years out of it, I'll be happy.

My plan is to wash, claybar, then apply the glasscoat. I'm also thinking of waxing prior to applying the glasscoat, but I'll read the instructions before doing that.

It will not be going on the GTO!!
Instead, I'll be applying it on my other car, and possibly the wife's Accord -if there's any left.

Modern Marvels video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LNmKSZqDLNs
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

opticoat 2.0
10.9 @ 132 w/ 1.8 60 HAHALOL

99 Civic SI
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Rod Run
Likes tan lines

2004 GTO Owner

Just like Liquid Glass back in the day, but a lot more expensive
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86...View Post
opticoat 2.0

Never heard of that, but I'll buy it once I run out of Glasscoat.
The Glasscoat bottle is only 2 oz. so I might be purchasing the Opticoat real soon!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
SkiPopeye36
Super Moderator

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

That exact stuff has been used by dealers for years as a marketing hype to try and garner an extra few hundred dollars out of a customer. No wax or sealant will last for a year, let alone 7 years.

I bought a brand new Grand Am GT back in 2000. The Pontiac dealer suckered me into this as I really didn't know much about detailing back then. 6 months later I was wondering why water no longer beaded on the paint. Called the dealer and they said that was normal and that I needed to come back every 6 months for a re-application (for a fee that was buried in the fine print). It's a scam for people who don't know anything about detailing.

Good luck with your trial though.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I almost wish I talked her into buying me something else... Oh well, it's purchased and on the way, so I'm kinda locked-in now. No big deal.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
chromess

2006 GTO Owner

I saw one, I forget the name, but it claimed after X amount of coats it would make the paint rock chip resistant. I want to say it was after 10 coats but Im not sure.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
o'doyle
AWWWWW YEAH....

2006 GTO Owner

I'm in for results..

2006 SRM A4 Sold

1993 Red Lightning... Nowhere near stock
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
BRZN
Yea, I belong to a club!

2006 GTO Owner

Hockeyman, It'll work best applied to clean, bare, polished paint (I'll bet that's the instructions). Wax rides along ontop of the paint while sealants, being synthetic, create a molecular bond with the paint itself. If you wax first it'll wear off with the wax: perhaps a bit longer since you'll seal the wax underneath, but not much longer. I'd give it 8 months tops for a garaged car. Prove SkiPopeye and me wrong!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
That exact stuff has been used by dealers for years as a marketing hype to try and garner an extra few hundred dollars out of a customer. No wax or sealant will last for a year, let alone 7 years.

I bought a brand new Grand Am GT back in 2000. The Pontiac dealer suckered me into this as I really didn't know much about detailing back then. 6 months later I was wondering why water no longer beaded on the paint. Called the dealer and they said that was normal and that I needed to come back every 6 months for a re-application (for a fee that was buried in the fine print). It's a scam for people who don't know anything about detailing.

Good luck with your trial though.

Opticoat 2.0 will guy.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

LOL at 0:58 when dude shoots his wife out of the car. "sorry ol girl"
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

though about doing something like this with Liquipel... its made for phones and it bonds on a molecular level for full water proof. dude submerges a phone in water and it isnt even phased.

im sure the cost would be crazy and dont even know if it would work with a clear coat but if it did...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN...View Post
Hockeyman, It'll work best applied to clean, bare, polished paint (I'll bet that's the instructions). Wax rides along ontop of the paint while sealants, being synthetic, create a molecular bond with the paint itself. If you wax first it'll wear off with the wax: perhaps a bit longer since you'll seal the wax underneath, but not much longer. I'd give it 8 months tops for a garaged car. Prove SkiPopeye and me wrong!

Good point. That's something else I haven't really thought about...

I'll clean and clay the surface, then apply the glasscoat. Maybe I'll put a layer of Collinite over top once it's all done.
Again, I'm not applying it on the GTO since it's a garage queen. I'm going to apply it to the vehicles that are constantly exposed to the elements.

My wife has a white honda accord, and for some reason, she constantly gets faded black streaks in the finish. Regular car washes do not remove it. The only thing that removes it is a heavy cleaner, like Pinnacle's XMT 360. And we have to do that about 2 x's per year
Oh, and I do apply a synthetic wax over the XMT 360, but it still streaks a few moths later.

In conclusion, I'm looking for a more durable option to seal the finish and to keep the black streaks from returning so darn often!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Kinalyx
I R Awesum!

2005 GTO Owner

as slammin has said. should have done opticoat 2.0. Opticoat is a PERMANENT coating, it acts as another thin layer of clearcoat. I will be doing opticoat at some point, but i enjoy waxing too much to just go for it. BTW, wax doesnt bond to opticoat well, i think they have claimed that even long lasting waxes and sealants only last about 2 weeks on opticoat.

Shawn

05 A4 PBM/Red/17s - 353/359 Tuned By PatG (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3980...View Post
If you will let me pour hot melted chrome into your asshole i will melt them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underoath (the Fuzz)...View Post
Guess we've discovered your fetish of molten metal filled butts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered By V8...View Post
I picked up a plug to stick in my bung hole this weekend..homo!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
SkiPopeye36
Super Moderator

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I'm skeptical about the Opticoat 2.0. Even if it performs as marketed (and I still can't grasp how it's possible) what are you going to do once you have swirls and scratches in the finish again? The first time you hit a polisher to the paint to correct your car it will be gone.

Say this stuff will resist swirls and scratches forever and I'm throwing the BS flag all the way to the top of the pole.

Never used the stuff but I am having a very hard time accepting those claims knowing the science behind detailing. If you have experience with it than I'd like to hear more about your results.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
nmcqueen469
Last mod honey, I swear...

2004 GTO Owner

Snake Oil.

Prove to me that it isn't.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I'm skeptical about the Opticoat 2.0. Even if it performs as marketed (and I still can't grasp how it's possible) what are you going to do once you have swirls and scratches in the finish again? The first time you hit a polisher to the paint to correct your car it will be gone.

Say this stuff will resist swirls and scratches forever and I'm throwing the BS flag all the way to the top of the pole.

Never used the stuff but I am having a very hard time accepting those claims knowing the science behind detailing. If you have experience with it than I'd like to hear more about your results.

If you do some reading on Opticoat using a paint correction polish is how they remove it. Claybar and strippers will not. If you F up the job the only way to fix it is to use a cutting polish to remove it.

If your doing a paint correction your adding another layer at that point. From all the threads I've read it does seems to hold up pretty well.

I plan on trying it on my wife's Venetian Red Pearl C70 as soon as I finish filling the rock chips with Dr Colorchip.
2011 Mazda 2 Touring
2014 Subaru Outback Limited
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

When I opticoated the GTO I had some heavy spots which had to be removed. To do this I had to actually polish them out.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Received it today. The bottle is a "tiny bit" larger than I expected, so I'm thinking that it'll go a little further than anticipated.

I'm going to apply it to the wife's car this Saturday. After washing, I'm gunna check to see if the surface needs to be clay'd. Once the surface is ready, I'll apply PPG DX330 (wax and grease remover) on a clean rag and wipe-down the whole car, then apply the Glasscoat with a small foam applicator.
Not sure of the drying time, so I'll let it sit out in the sun for the remainder of the day. I'll apply a layer of Collinite #845 the following day.

The Glasscoat didn't come with any instructions. On the bottle, it says to go to simonizglasscoat[dot]com to look them up, but I'm having a hard time finding them. I'll just go with my method above.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
sam_gto
LS6 GTO

2004 GTO Owner

I know its an old thread but, how did this stuff work out? Did it last 6 months? Is it still on there?

I just saw it on a repeat of modern marvels and became curious and found this thread.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gto...View Post
I know its an old thread but, how did this stuff work out? Did it last 6 months? Is it still on there?

I just saw it on a repeat of modern marvels and became curious and found this thread.

Haha, I was just watching that episode again too!

Well, I used it on the wife's car, and the water is still beading-up really well. She has an Accord, and the white paint has a way of getting this black film buildup on it's surface, and the only way of removing it is with something like this:
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/db_images...360Correc1.jpg
Anyhow, the black buildup is back, AGAIN, so the glasscoat didn't do much for protecting the surface.

I also used it on my old minivan, but unfortunately, it got crushed by a telephone pole back in July of 2012 -which was only a few months after applying the Glasscoat. I ran out of the product, so I cannot test it any further.

I'm going to try Opticoat 2.0 next. I'm hoping that it will protect the white paint on the wife's car better than what the glasscoat did...which was really nothing, other than beading water up.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #22
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman...View Post
Haha, I was just watching that episode again too!

Well, I used it on the wife's car, and the water is still beading-up really well. She has an Accord, and the white paint has a way of getting this black film buildup on it's surface, and the only way of removing it is with something like this:
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/db_images...360Correc1.jpg
Anyhow, the black buildup is back, AGAIN, so the glasscoat didn't do much for protecting the surface.

I also used it on my old minivan, but unfortunately, it got crushed by a telephone pole back in July of 2012 -which was only a few months after applying the Glasscoat. I ran out of the product, so I cannot test it any further.

I'm going to try Opticoat 2.0 next. I'm hoping that it will protect the white paint on the wife's car better than what the glasscoat did...which was really nothing, other than beading water up.

My opticoat still seems to be holding up great on our three cars.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #23
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86...View Post
My opticoat still seems to be holding up great on our three cars.

I just ordered it this morning from autogeek. Although, I won't give it a try until the warmer weather, when I can completely strip the car of wax and apply the opticoat to a bare/clean surface.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #24
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

if you had opti-coated it, minivan would have escaped without a scratch. meow. (no personal experience, from what I've read)
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #25
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech912...View Post
if you had opti-coated it, minivan would have escaped without a scratch. meow. (no personal experience, from what I've read)

Shoulda rhino-lined that manvan!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #26
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Facebook people say that wax prevents scratches.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
Hockeyman

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawShank...View Post
Shoulda rhino-lined that manvan!

Although you're just joking (I hope), I don't think it woulda' helped

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000258.jpg (176.2 KB, 501 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
slammin86
...brah

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Although you're just joking (I hope), I don't think it woulda' helped

Omg old school odyssey. Swap a H22 in that and win racewars.

haha lol
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
6oh-goat
04 M6

2004 GTO Owner

Might have to read more on this opticoat 2.0
100 shot- 10.93 @ 129mph
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #30
Orinackra

2006 GTO Owner

And here I thought you were being facetious about the pole crushing the van. Yowza.

| 06 | M6 | SRM | Kooks | Magnaflow | SCSS GP | G8 19 | MM Spoiler |
| WCS Splitter | 6/4 Pot Brembo |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: