How to remove shift knob/boot - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
GTO_CAPE
Got To Own

2004 GTO Owner

How to remove shift knob/boot

Hey guys, i search the site but was not able to find this one. Is there a write up on how to replaced the shift knob/boot on the 2004 GTO. I just got mine and I have no clue....thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Info_AutoAgenda
LS1 Vendor

2004 GTO Owner

Knob just unscrews and the boot is held on by clips under the plastic trim piece. It's actually really easy.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Six-ohgto
Now four-six + two-two

2006 GTO Owner

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx...7&cNode=8F2X0Y

That's a good article on how to get into the shift boot/console. As for the knob, it's held on by some clips or something.. I've heard it's a hassle to get off.
Dad's: 1966 Sting Ray - Mosport Green 327/300 4 speed - power nothing
1993 Formula Red Acura NSX

"Education is important, but racecars are importanter."
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Six-ohgto
Now four-six + two-two

2006 GTO Owner

After removing the plastic trim piece, there should be 4 little clips you'll see that hold the boot down.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
chromess

2006 GTO Owner

Manual or auto? Manual knob has plastic clips and some type of adhesive. The boot is zip-tied from the inside. Remove the top section of the console, unclip the bottom section of the boot, turn it inside out and clip the zip-tie. Then yank the knob off.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
erock
other kids were doing it.....

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I don't recall any clips on the manual knob. You just have to pull it straight up as hard as you can. It is keyed iirc, so you can't turn it. Don't give yourself a black eye like I did when it comes off. It comes off with the full force of you pulling up on it, and has a decent heft to it. RTV black to reinstall.

Billet Pro Shifter, SCSS Pod w/oil/volt, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, catted mids, SS 3" catback, SCSS mounts, Harrop rear cover, Hotchkiss Sways, BC Racing ER, with 9k,10k springs, poly bushings, BMR skid plate, SFC, and STB, JHP lip v2, SLP Predator, Pedders Fast Rack. Installing: SNL Blower cam, Harrop HTV2300, Willwood 14" BBK
Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
GTO_CAPE
Got To Own

2004 GTO Owner

do you need to take the boot first in order to take the knob out?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
muddobberz

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_CAPE...View Post
do you need to take the boot first in order to take the knob out?

You shouldn't. Should just pull straight up, keyed shaft.

I've had to remove my console/ boot assembly a few times. There are three clips on each side of the trim. Get a small flathead screwdriver and slowly, CAREFULLY start from the back and slowly work your way towards your shift knob. you'll feel where the first clip is and keep slowly prying up and towards the clip until it pops out. (don't rush and break the clips/plastic trim!) repeat for every clip on both sides.

There is a small screw in the change tray area. Philips head, upper right part on the back part of that piece. Take it out.

The whole piece should slide out (pull out towards back of car)

Shift boot should be exposed and held in with some cheap-o clips and comes out very easy.

Hope this helps!

TSP 228r 114 LSA - Ported Intake and TB - SLP Long Tubes w/ high flow cats - Spintech 2.5 X- pipe cat-back - Pedders Springs & Bushings - B&M short throw - Monster Stage 3 - K&N CAI
Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
GTO_CAPE
Got To Own

2004 GTO Owner

It does...thanks a lot. Ill take pics of the new shift knob

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
muddobberz

2005 GTO Owner

Also forgot to disconnect window and T/C switches!
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
jugglemyplums

My knob was super difficult to get off. It pulls straight off but in my case not easily. I ended up putting the stick in I vise upside down and putting a 3/4 inch wrench over the base of the knob and completely wailing on the wrench. It finally popped off, but I put a nice chip in the edge of the knob where it popped off and nailed the edge of the workbench.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
700Rocket

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock...View Post
I don't recall any clips on the manual knob. You just have to pull it straight up as hard as you can. It is keyed iirc, so you can't turn it. Don't give yourself a black eye like I did when it comes off. It comes off with the full force of you pulling up on it, and has a decent heft to it. RTV black to reinstall.

Now thats some funny shit!

GMM Shifter
Bohnman sill plates "PONTIAC"
Vararam
JHP Dash pod plus custom dual pod with Aeroforce
Kooks 1 3/4 headers with Cats
Magnaflow Stainless system
Billet Prototypes Catch Can
VX Tails
Ported TB and Intake, Thanks to Cory @ Portworks
Complete Red interior install, seats, doors and dash.

Lost my little pug friend 3-21-2014, RIP Buddy Bob.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
erock

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700Rocket...View Post
Now thats some funny shit!

Oh yeah, I gots a picture somewhere in one of the million pictures I took of write ups that never happened from mods I did, of me with a huge split in the side of my eye socket, blood drooling and all, from where that smurfer let loose and I blasted myself right in the eye with that bitch. Shit was purple for a week.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
jegten
riding the wave!

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to jegten
i read a thread long time ago where one of the members figured to slide some toothpicks (i think, or something like it) between the shaft and the knob to "open" the "clips". this made it "easier" to remove, according to him. it might be worth a try. (notice quote/unquotes, lol, per experience, sometimes, not all things with these cars is as quoted lol). good luck!
go-forged ls2 447ci/MastLS7 295 70cc, ported/painted FAST102/NW102, jegten cam/tuned,Manton,Melling,Lunati,Cloyes,Edelbrock,60#, Kooks SS/catless,JBAcb,taylor bluewires,MF5",GForce,OTRCAI,BBKfr,GMM/LSS-oemknob,Brembos/BaerSS lines, GZpump,SLP-skid plate/udp/160t,Revshift,Monster3,IngallsETD,Lovells,Hotchkis , pc'd DSS/blue flange.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
muddobberz

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Oh yeah, I gots a picture somewhere in one of the million pictures I took of write ups that never happened from mods I did, of me with a huge split in the side of my eye socket, blood drooling and all, from where that smurfer let loose and I blasted myself right in the eye with that bitch. Shit was purple for a week.

Ouch!! I thought having my hydraulic arms on my hood fail while torquing down header bolts was bad! hood hit me right on the head and left me a nasty bump. needless to say I threw a perfectly good torque wrench about 50 yards while yelling every curse word known to man..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
erock

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Haha we need to start a new lounge room based on shit we have done/said while throwing hissy fits from working on the car. I am sure everyone here has a good story or two to tell.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
muddobberz

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Haha we need to start a new lounge room based on shit we have done/said while throwing hissy fits from working on the car. I am sure everyone here has a good story or two to tell.

+1 for that!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
BigEd
eh.

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegten...View Post
i read a thread long time ago where one of the members figured to slide some toothpicks (i think, or something like it) between the shaft and the knob to "open" the "clips". this made it "easier" to remove, according to him. it might be worth a try. (notice quote/unquotes, lol, per experience, sometimes, not all things with these cars is as quoted lol). good luck!

I haven't tried to remove mine. Is there not a special tool for removing the shift knob? like the ones used to remove fuel line connections? Seems like one of those things shoved up there would open all the blue clips at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: