LS1GTO Forums banner

GTO Europe Adventures

40K views 584 replies 48 participants last post by  blackbob 
#1 · (Edited)
*****So this thread has since ended but I invite anyone to take a peak and let it fuel your own adventures. No matter if they are local or across a foreign continent. Don't let anything stop you from trying something new and going for it. *********

So I have been in Italy for about a month and the GTO arrived today. I have not washed and waxed her yet. Between the bike and the GTO I have had a very busy day simply getting gas and registering. So I figured I would share some quick pics with new tags. My birthday is this weekend so I should get some good pics of the GTO in the old town area's around Naples and the surrounding area. So I'll dub this my "GTO Europe Adventures" thread.

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe 5 or six hours,I need to address the water pump and a few other small things in the GTO. Once I get most of the 80k maintenance done I'll be more amped to travel further in her.

#4 ·
Nice man! Ive always wondered what it would be like to do something like that with my car. Are you there for work? Or permanently? lol Should be a blast man!

#5 ·
Work,
I'm only here for two years so I plan to make the best of it. I was going to do some driving around and get some nice shots for you guys. I discovered I have a possible leak from the water pump weep hole. So I'll hold off until I get the coolant system fully repaired. I also need to do the rear springs and front tires as well. It's all 80k maintenance stuff so I'm no surprised. For now I'm just riding my bike around. It's summer time and Italian law is in favor or motorcyclist so that is a plus.

#8 ·
Where do I look for those ? I'm assuming the U.K. because there isn't anything like that running around Italy. Everything here is Alfa Romeo or some other tiny car.

You going to head over to the UK at some point
Yes,I want to go see Top Gear Live at the next available taping. I would also like to see some Rally racing there as well.

#11 ·
Very jealous. I spent a semester in Italy and would have loved to take the GTO. It will look huge in the larger cities with all of the small cars haha. if you plan on doing some weekend flight travel, I highly recommend Bratislava, Slovakia and Thessaloniki, Greece. Also, don't pass up on a tour of the Lamborghini factory!

#16 ·
Yeah,there is more to it too. It's just big enough to fit the GTO and get the bike around it. While still have a work bench and tool/build area.

#18 ·
Thanks George,
I'll see more about it as time gets closer.

#19 ·
UPDATE: 30JUL12

I haven't forgot about this thread ! I just got the waterpump in last week and started the install. Waiting on my thermostat this week and then pics to follow soon after.

#20 ·
Stay out of Poland.

#21 ·
lol,Why ?

#23 ·
If you drive a GTO there, it will turn you into a murderer.

Anything beyond that, you'll have to exercise your search skills.

I've said too much already.

#22 ·
Naples drivers don't pay attention to lights signs nor road lines. The car with the lead bumper wins. As long as you don't hit anyone you can pretty much drive however you want. Only three lanes painted? Five cars wide is OK!

Naples is dirty too since the garbage strikes. I didn't like it. The pizzas though oh the pizzas. It was invented ib Naples. Def get some pizza and find some pcs-ed american sailors. They know all the good spots.

If you go along the coast to castel volturno there is a place called somethink like da baffone. Their arrabiata sauce is perfect. Don't ask for the servers favorito dish. I did they and they brought me a baby octopus. It tasted like taint.

Never order seafood surprise or chefs choice seafood and youll live.

Rome is nice but expensive. Too much to see. Rome is still a haze. A must see though as its one of the great ancient cities of human civilization still standing.

Gaeta is up the coast from naples and had really good food. Its a bit of a drive though.

Mt vesuvios (sp??) is always hazy bc of the smog which is sad.

Small touch screens with autocorrect make for interesting posts.

#24 ·
PaulsZ228,
Way ahead of you man. I've been to all those places except Gaeta. I don't care to talk to most military. As majority don't leave "Fortress America". I ride an Aprilia RSV mille I picked up for 1k U.S.D. Driving here is overrated as the middle east is much worst. The italians I ride with are good people and have been showing me around. The only thing left is some track days. That's to come later.

#26 ·
UPDATE:
Ok,FINALLY !!! After a very long wait parts are starting to show up on the mail and I'm closer to getting her back onto the road. I have the new radiator and some other parts for the cooling system. I'll tackle it this weekend and if all is well I'll have pics from around my area at least to add to the thread.

#28 ·
Subscribed to see how much the "Superbollo" registration surcharge ends up being.

Unfortunately, I suspect you will be bowled over with surprise when you find out, if you don't already know.

EDIT: Don't forget to pull starter fuses/relays when parking at night. No car is actually secure in Italy, and no GTO that we know of has been stolen to drive under its own power ... but those wily Italians will find a way to hot wire it.

#29 ·
Thanks WANG,
But if it got stolen I would just get a Z06 or a GTR like I always wanted. As for the pics I got the car on the road today. So I took it for a small spin even though it was raining. I hope you guys like what you see and more to come in the coming weeks/months.

#30 ·
More Pics:

#31 ·
Fixed it !

In preperation for road trips to come I finally got all the parts to repair the long overdue rear suspension. I bought a set of brand new Peddlers "0" drop rear springs off ebay for $190.00 shipped. I figured since I ordered springs I might as well changes the shocks out too. At the moment I'm not 100% sure on where I'm going to go with the car overall,so I just bought OE replacement shocks for now. I didn't know it was that bad and that much of a difference until I drove the car. Now watching it as the suspension re-equals out to what it's supposed to be blows me mind. I'm already making plans to do more suspesion upgrades in the future as money allow. Fortunately,as of right now the car is much safer and comfortable to drive then before and that I love !

Please excuse the early morning cell phones pics,I'll take better ones in the future.

Attachments

#32 ·
UPDATE: 20 NOV 12

I'm starting to get involved the inner circle or tuning here ! So I'll post some pics when I get some this weekend.

#35 ·
Nice work! Car looks good, almost out of place. Like damcoo said, I bet you turn heads with that color and nice GTO lines. Some daytime pics of the stance after your suspension upgrades would be good to see.

Yeah, I just finished a Lovells/KYB setup on my 04. Man, I didn't know how much handling I was missing until I removed the busted factory stuff and put on the new kit. I have a GTO again!

#36 ·
Thanks guys !

Pinkigto,
How is the car scene in Poland?

Just2damcoo,
I highly suggest bringing it no matter what the nay sayers will tell you. If its modded even better. There is a car scene AND underground racing scene here too. I will do my best to bring as much of my experiences to the boards for you guys to enjoy.

Paulsz28,
Yeah she does stand out and I do get strang looks. I get the looks mostly when I start it up and rev it. 90% of the time some Italian woman jumps...lol. Next power mods are heads,cam (something sick yet
practical),longtubes,intake,and spray to top it all off. As for suspension I'm going through all the bushing and adding a Pedders street kit. Then a carbon trunk lip spoiler and some "hella fkush" style wheel fitment.

#37 ·
Sorry for thr grammer,all this is coming via phone :-(.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.