Airbag fault light! - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
treys06GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Airbag fault light!

Well last week I was turning around on a dirt road and a rock went through my tire and damaged my run a little bit. Don't think it has something to with this but figured I'd mention it. Anyways two days afterwards my airbag fault light came on and hasn't stopped yet. Then last night I noticed my steering wheel controls where cutting off and on and wouldn't work then would work again. Thinking its the clock spring but not sure any ideas?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
2006 PBM M6, SLP LT'S, SLP LM1,B&M Short Shifter, Svede OTRCAI,Fast 102,VRX5,AI 226cc 243s, PRC .675 EHT Springs, Comp Pushrods, Double roller timing chain,Ported throttle body, SLP oil pump, LS7 lifters, Monster Stage 3, Chrome 19'S (ruff racing)w/BFG KDW'S, Custom interior (in progress) [FONT="Arial Black"]Roided Goats Car Club Founder (April 2011) Killeen Texas/ Now LSX Reapers Oahu (March 2012)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

There is a stored trouble code that can be read with a Tech 2 or Snap-On scanner. Have it checked at a dealer or shop.
Is the horn working? If it's not, or it's intermittent, that would certainly point to a bad clock spring.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
treys06GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder...View Post
There is a stored trouble code that can be read with a Tech 2 or Snap-On scanner. Have it checked at a dealer or shop.
Is the horn working? If it's not, or it's intermittent, that would certainly point to a bad clock spring.

Ya when the radio sw controls were acting up the horn wasn't working either. Is there a good right up on the clock spring? I'll take it to the dealer she be part of my
Aftermarket warranty I bought

Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
treys06GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Anyone have a part number for the clock spring

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
muddobberz

2005 GTO Owner

I'm betting its the clockspring.. easy install pn 92147955

I picked mine up used on the forum, but if the center piece has been spun around completely its junk.

TSP 228r 114 LSA - Ported Intake and TB - SLP Long Tubes w/ high flow cats - Spintech 2.5 X- pipe cat-back - Pedders Springs & Bushings - B&M short throw - Monster Stage 3 - K&N CAI
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
muddobberz

2005 GTO Owner

Clock spring replacement (how I did it)

. Disconnect battery
. Behind the steering wheel, there is a gap between the steering column and horn piece. There are pins in there that hold the horn face on. Those have to be pushed out of the way so the horn piece can be removed. This is the toughest part.
. CAREFULLY remove the fasteners on the airbag, and disconnect it from the harness and set it in a safe place away from you.
. Get a punch and mark evenly on where the steering wheel/shaft spline together (so the wheel can be put back on straight.)
. Undo the bolt holding the wheel on (may be left-handed, not sure) It will be hard to break because it has loctite on it per factory.
. Once the wheel is off, the clockspring is exposed. Disconnect the clockspring and install new one, carefully without spinning the inside of the assembly.

Assemble back together in reverse order, lining up your punch marks on outer lip of the spline and the wheel. Put loctite back on the bolt and secure it. Connect everything back up and pop the horn cover back on. When reconnecting you battery, make sure nobody is in the car away from all restraint systems.

Last edited by muddobberz; 08-21-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Forgot some little details!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
treys06GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddobberz...View Post
I'm betting its the clockspring.. easy install pn 92147955

I picked mine up used on the forum, but if the center piece has been spun around completely its junk.

I looked that part number on gm parts house and it's saying 2004 GTO same part?http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...&siteid=214638

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
GNXClone
2006 Twin Turbo GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Updating this thread for when others come here for info...

The correct part number for the 2006 clockspring is 92148567

As of Jan 2013 it costs ~$240 from gmpartswarehouse. (Gene Culley)

Wish I didn't know this
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
bohnman
Horse Power = $$$
LS1GTO.com Sponsor

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to bohnman
I've got an 05 clock spring for sale it will work on an 06 but you will loose your Light in your steering wheel controls
05 MBM M6, Kooks 1 7/8" w/cats, Bassani Cat Back, SLP UDP, Drag bags, Ported TB, GMM Street, Lovels 0 drop, HE Twin clutch, Rear re-built by 2qwk, Tuned by AMS Performance, CCW 505A 19", 8" J&L subs, The 1st GTO with "GTO" lit rear bumper insert, AUX input. Interior LED Red/Blue (Done by me), LS3 Heads/Intake custom Cam From Bret Bauer

446/395 Mustang Dyno

11 F-150 With Ecoboost
01 HD FLSTFI

<a href=http://www.bohnmancustoms.com target=_blank>http://www.bohnmancustoms.com</a>
LCD screen Options

http://www.bohnmancustoms.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: