GForce single anti wheelhop half shaft (short) review - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
rfm

GForce single anti wheelhop half shaft (short) review

I bought the GForce single anti wheelhop half shaft about 3 months ago and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.
I still get wheelhop just about all the time, yes its a lot less then it was, but still very noticably there. It's not enough anymore to loose my fillings, but its enough to rattle something else loose I guess.
I tried it in wet and dry conditions and I know a single axle wasn't going to eliminate all of the wheelhop (although some people say it did for them), but I was hoping it would be better then it is now.

Maybe it could be other things, like rubbers or suspension (although I replaced the rear springs last year with some lovells standard height springs).
Or maybe even tyres, I have goodyear F1, they normally have a lot of grip, but its down to a few mm at the moment, I probably need to replace them after the winter.

So my main question has become, does the other axle really make that much of a difference since its just a standard sized axle ? (or not ?)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
TheElementalCashew
Entry-level Boss

2006 GTO Owner

There are some other things you can do, such as subframe bushings and a differential insert that may help you out.
I can't really answer your question though, as I have both axles and many more mods.
BC Coilovers, Pedders sway bars, Fast Ratio Steering Rack, Pedders and Kollar bushings.
Jamesbiz, Maverickman, Bohnman, various Monaro pieces.
Old numbers: 367rwhp/358tq

2014 Silverado 1LT Z71, Black

Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
sam_gto
LS6 GTO

2004 GTO Owner

i have sub frame bushings.. diff insert... and both axles.. no wheel hop.. not even a bit.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
black00ta
Wheelhop my socks off

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I lost about 80% of the wheel hop when I switched top an anti hop axle.

-------------- 06 M6 CGM 18s
466/436 - cam/ported-fast102mm/monster3/mgw-p/koni/lovells/gforce1320/bridgestone
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
BigRedWitch

2006 GTO Owner

I have the Gforce level II axles and DRAG BAGS and have no wheel hop and man do I ever give a chance to do it's thing,spin tires all way through 3rd gear if I try hard enough.

I'd say the drag bags helped me bunches....

Kooks 1 7/8 LTs-Partiot gold springs-Comp blower cam-Spec3+ clutch-Maggie TVS 1900-ECS 8 rib pulleys with 3.1 snout & 8 inch crank-Pac Alkey control system running 100% meth-K&N CAI-catless mids-MagnaFlow 3 inch cat back with x pipe-275/35/18 back-235/40/18 front-raptor shift led light-Autometer electric FP and Boost gauge and a lot more useless stuff.Some not so useless.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
dev1360
Just call me "nubs"

2005 GTO Owner

I went to the track today with my newly installed GForce AWH single axle, new drag bags, and new diff insert. I am on drag radials and my car hopped so bad my radio came out.

It was earth shattering wheel hop. Worse than ever.

Oh well. Time for bias plys.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
11.00@128.08 1.67 60'

[COLOR="Red"]2005 MBM M6 GTO-
LTs/catless/magnaflows
230/238 EPS Cam
Fast102.
DSX Speed Density Tune
12.15@117.5 (1.88 60' 2100DA).....SOLD
Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
05GTOMo
The Domino Effect

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfm...View Post
I bought the GForce single anti wheelhop half shaft about 3 months ago and I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.
I still get wheelhop just about all the time, yes its a lot less then it was, but still very noticably there. It's not enough anymore to loose my fillings, but its enough to rattle something else loose I guess.
I tried it in wet and dry conditions and I know a single axle wasn't going to eliminate all of the wheelhop (although some people say it did for them), but I was hoping it would be better then it is now.

Maybe it could be other things, like rubbers or suspension (although I replaced the rear springs last year with some lovells standard height springs).
Or maybe even tyres, I have goodyear F1, they normally have a lot of grip, but its down to a few mm at the moment, I probably need to replace them after the winter.

So my main question has become, does the other axle really make that much of a difference since its just a standard sized axle ? (or not ?)

Sell it to me

I'll hit 10's this year... Just wait on it.

Domino 05 M6 - 1 of 1

Show: 3/5 full SAP - Banshee Hood - VMR V718's - Mav Man Diffuser - JHP Side Markers - Limo Tint - Domino Paint

Go: 416 Stroker - Kooks 1 7/8 - GForce 9" - GForce Coilovers - Monster 3 - Tick MC - GMM Short Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface...View Post
We'll see if the tune changes when you find out she was cupping the balls of her ex while he was drifitng the car into a concrete pole at Red Lobster and then finishing the deed in the backseat of his Kia.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

I have level 2 big axle on pass side and small level 1 axle on drivers side. Pedders diff insert, subframe bushings and shocks. I get no wheelhop on dry pavement with standard radial (Continental) street tires, no wheelhop on Hoosier drag radials. The only time I have wheelhop is on a wet street and I shouldn't be spinning the tires on a wet street, right.
I'm not using airbags either. I think it has to do with rear alignment and condition of shocks as well as the different size axles. I have the adjustable bushings as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
wrp
Taco Bell

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I've chased this ghost for nearly 8 years now. I found that wheel hop itself is a condition of my driving. The variances in the car help determine the point at which it occurred. Generally, launching too low, enough to spin but not quite bite is the culprit. I never experience hop on 4000-5000 rpm launches. We are putting a 3500 stall in the transmission now and I do not know how that will affect it. I started out with bushings, sway bar, a single piece driveshaft, coil overs, 9 inch ford rear end, ad infinitum and I can make the wheels hop if I am not paying attention to what I am doing.

the point on the cradle alignment is very valid as well.

"ZOMG, boost it to the moon, it can handle it"

Mods: A bumble bee is considerably faster than a John Deere tractor.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Gforce1320
Supporting Vendor

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfm...View Post

It could very well be your tires, we have found that some tires (especially Goodyears) contribute to wheel hop. Hard compound and run flat tires are the worse.
If you change tires, go with a good performance tire like Nitto's or maybe a Goodrich, drag radials would be even better.
Adding the small diameter axle will probably help but I'm guessing its your tires more then anything.

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
ATF

2006 GTO Owner

I have the single larger Anti-Wheel hop axle, poly sub-frame bushings, poly diff insert, and Pedders drag springs with GSR shocks and it still hops horribly under all conditions. Very disappointed to say the least, but I hope that adding the second axle will help kill it, if not I will get drag bags and if that does not work then to hell with it..just have to pu$$y-foot it off the line like I have been.
2006 GTO Red/Red 18's M6..1-7/8" American Racing Headers w/off-road mids..stock exhaust..Vararam CAI..LS7 Clutch..3.91 gears..Eaton TrueTrac..GForce 1320 Anti-Hop axle..GForce 1320 aluminum drive-shaft..DBA 4000XS...GMM Street SNL/Hurst lever..Hotchkis Sport Swaybars..Pedders Drag Springs..Pedders GSR Shocks
377hp/372tq
Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
dev1360
Just call me "nubs"

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF...View Post
I have the single larger Anti-Wheel hop axle, poly sub-frame bushings, poly diff insert, and Pedders drag springs with GSR shocks and it still hops horribly under all conditions. Very disappointed to say the least, but I hope that adding the second axle will help kill it, if not I will get drag bags and if that does not work then to hell with it..just have to pu$$y-foot it off the line like I have been.

I've accepted that there is no fix for it. If you don't want hop, you will have to run bias plys.

At least the axle is stronger. But it certainly doesn't help wheel hop.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

My car never had much wheel hop when stock nor as I modified it. I now have a Harrop rear cover, poly rear cradle bushings, a larger rear sway bar with poly bushings and stock height Lovell's springs with all other bushings and shocks being stock. But then, I never see the need to really light up the tires anyway. When I want to accelerate "enthusiastically" I work to get just a slight bit of wheel spin, just enough to launch the car as hard as possible given the tires and traction available. Sometimes I misjudge and get more wheel spin than I want, but I've never got much wheel hop when that happened.

I think it is greatly influenced by how well the rear suspension cradle is aligned to the car itself.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
dev1360
Just call me "nubs"

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower...View Post
My car never had much wheel hop when stock nor as I modified it. I now have a Harrop rear cover, poly rear cradle bushings, a larger rear sway bar with poly bushings and stock height Lovell's springs with all other bushings and shocks being stock. But then, I never see the need to really light up the tires anyway. When I want to accelerate "enthusiastically" I work to get just a slight bit of wheel spin, just enough to launch the car as hard as possible given the tires and traction available. Sometimes I misjudge and get more wheel spin than I want, but I've never got much wheel hop when that happened.

I think it is greatly influenced by how well the rear suspension cradle is aligned to the car itself.

I'm talking about launching on sticky tires at the track. The worst wheel hop I've ever had on the street feels like running over pillows compared to the kidney-punching hop at the track.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

There is no cure, and one part won't reduce it to nothing. You can only hope to eliminate it from your driving style. Even when you think it's gone, a rainy day will remind you that it's still hiding back there, somewhere.
Vararam
Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
Big Tex
Seeking additional traction..

2005 GTO Owner

My wheel hop was HORRIBLE during my last track trip on the stock rear set-up. I am hoping to drastically reduce what I had after the work is done on the rear. If anything it will hold up to the abuse and not snap parts.

'05 M6- D-1SC / AES 390 / Tick Lvl 4 trans and MC / Centerforce DYAD / GForce1320 9" and coilover kit / Strange S-Trac / Kooks / BC 8K fronts / VMR V718s / Nitto NT05
'06 A4- 419/386. Volant/FAST 92/SLP LTs/Magnaflow CB/DBA/Hawk/ATI Stall/Pedders Xa/Energy Suspension/DMH//G-Force *SOLD*
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #17
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

I'm not sure what you do at the drags, but if you get any water on your tires, be sure and heat them up and get it off. If you just drive thru a little trail of water and get one side of the tires wet it will hop like a mf'er. Or if you trail water with your standard front tires, it will hop. Drag radials shouldn't hop. Try 16-17 psi. It's like Chris says, tires have a lot to do with the hopping. My street Continental DW's don't hop on dry pavement ever. Mt hoosier drags don't hop either.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
dev1360
Just call me "nubs"

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
I'm not sure what you do at the drags, but if you get any water on your tires, be sure and heat them up and get it off. If you just drive thru a little trail of water and get one side of the tires wet it will hop like a mf'er. Or if you trail water with your standard front tires, it will hop. Drag radials shouldn't hop. Try 16-17 psi. It's like Chris says, tires have a lot to do with the hopping. My street Continental DW's don't hop on dry pavement ever. Mt hoosier drags don't hop either.

I drive around and back into the water box. Then pull forward before starting my burnout.

I run 17psi hot in my DR's.

Radials will have significantly more hop than a softer bias ply.

Like was said above...there is no cure.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
01SS346

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev1360...View Post
I drive around and back into the water box. Then pull forward before starting my burnout.

I dunno, my car is slammed on coilovers it used to wheel hop all the time even on street tires, I did a Harrop cover, standard 05 Axels with the CV upgrade, rear control arm and x member bushings and it doesn't hop at all dr's or slicks or street tires. You didn't answer anyone have you done bushings or did you just buy 1 part expecting it to be a cure all because that wont do it. There are a number of suggestions in here maybe one of them is the issue.
04 PBM M6 GTO - Pedders XA's/All Bushings/Ported 5.3L Heads/Ed Curtis Custom Cam/Kooks 1 7/8ths headers No cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/Volant CAI/4.10 Gears with Harrop Cover and Harrop LSD/G Force DS with Billet Yoke/42Lbs Injectors/Chrome 18's (OEM)/06 Brake Conversion/Limo Tint/Eclipse Nav system/HID Low and Fogs/SAP Front and Rear bumper/SAP Grills/Spoiler Delete
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Summer tires on a cold damp night, you'll still hop if you try.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #21
dev1360
Just call me "nubs"

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SS346...View Post
I dunno, my car is slammed on coilovers it used to wheel hop all the time even on street tires, I did a Harrop cover, standard 05 Axels with the CV upgrade, rear control arm and x member bushings and it doesn't hop at all dr's or slicks or street tires. You didn't answer anyone have you done bushings or did you just buy 1 part expecting it to be a cure all because that wont do it. There are a number of suggestions in here maybe one of them is the issue.

My OP says springs, drag bags, Lovell's insert, and the AWH axle.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev1360...View Post

Dam,
I don't know why some cars would do this and so do not. The only other thing is that I have all aftermarket bushings, lowered about 1/2" and have the adjustable camber bushings, set to Pedders specs.
Hope you figure it out. When the radio falls out, the driveshaft is next.
dw
Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #23
mebuildit

Personally, I think a lot of the wheel hop is from trying to use a slick or a real sticky tire at a low tire pressure. It takes a lot of HP to make our cars move, and spinning is wasted time and energy as well.
But I would rather spin that stick and break something. I'd start playing with tire pressures first, then see where the sweet spot is and adjust slowly from there.
Just my .02˘
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I have never used slicks and never let my tire pressure go below 33psi, use to hop like a MF before some parts swapping.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #25
lautinjr

2006 GTO Owner

IT seems to be very different per car. My buddy's car is exactly the same everything as mine except even when stock he has never had wheel hop, and mine will knock your fillings out. Wierd part is he's had all the typical GTO problems and I've had none of te normal problems except this one.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #26
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

My '06 A4 never hopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: