The Ultimate CTS-v Brake Thread - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Brakes

Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Send a message via AIM to miker Send a message via MSN to miker Send a message via Yahoo to miker
The Ultimate CTS-v Brake Thread

*Update*
Later posts outline the V2 kit and V1/2 rear brakes.

This will be a little step by step guild to CTS-V1 brakes on a GTO. They will seem some track-day abuse and I will give my honest unbiased opinion on them.

I picked up the calipers from my local GM dealer. $360 out the door including the shim/pin kits.

First impressions; they are massive.

On a GTO the caliper mounts 180degrees off from the CTS-v location. This puts the bleeders pointing down so you have to move them to the top of the caliper. To do this you need to remove the crossover tubes and bleeders from both calipers then swap them over. They are covered in powdercoat so you will have to scrap the coating off the flare connections to get a wrench on them. The tubes are powdercoated to the body of the caliper so you will have to snap this off; this will leave an uncoated part of the caliper visible.

Brackets came in today; I sandblasted them and painted them with high-temp enamel.

Here is the cutting required on the caliper.

I'm using a big ass dremel bit in a drill to clearance the caliper. I taped up the pistons to keep metal shavings out.

HP+ pads.

Fastenal run for hardware. 12.9 grade 12mm 1.75 x 35mm and Nordlock washers.
- RE-11s, V2 Brembos, Coilovers, Bushings, Fastrack, Swaybars, ARP Studs, 15lbs Braille
- Manual 4l65e, Anti-Hop Axles, 3.5" Alum DS, TrueTrac, 3.73s, Harrop Cover, Sparco Evo2s
- Ron Davis Radiator, Derale PS/Trans Coolers, JBiz CatchCan, Russell Lines, AeroForce, Bel RX65

Last edited by miker; 07-21-2013 at 06:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Send a message via AIM to miker Send a message via MSN to miker Send a message via Yahoo to miker
Test fitting; had to do some grinding on the knuckle.

I had to do a good bit of grinding to clean up the knuckle so they would bolt up ok. The caliper seems .65mm off center to the inboard side; the pads till fit ok so I'm going to leave it be for now. It might cause pad wear issues down the road tho.

Another issue I found is that the rotor hats are thinner; so there is a lip on the hub. This lip keeps my wheel spacers from fitting so I will need to grind them.

Here they are ready to be bled.

Allready.

Last edited by miker; 12-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
evillally
Pontiacfex Maximus

Can't wait to read your results. I got a set recently and have been saving and stocking-up the parts. My only reservation is grinding the caliper and hub. The instructions with the Proxses bracket shows the after photo that is obscured by powdercoating within the grinding area. Can you post a more detailed picture(s)? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillally...View Post
Can't wait to read your results. I got a set recently and have been saving and stocking-up the parts. My only reservation is grinding the caliper and hub. The instructions with the Proxses bracket shows the after photo that is obscured by powdercoating within the grinding area. Can you post a more detailed picture(s)? Thanks.

Yaa; looking at his pictures there is alot of grinding going on.

Want to sell me your brackets for $250? He is out of stock and I need them ASAP for an upcoming time trial.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
evillally
Pontiacfex Maximus

I actually didn't order them yet; wound up same as you- sold out when I ordered. I already have the calipers, hardware. The rotors are from Summit and are due the 19th.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
MarineGTO
is Paranoid

2005 GTO Owner

What did you used to have? I have been recently introduced to...and hooked on that track crack, but I need something better than these stock brakes.
Currently(divorced):95% track only 2005 Cyclone A4.... K&N intake with Magnaflow Exhaust. Hawk HT10/HP+. Russell SS brake lines, Hotchkis Sway bars, some pedders bushings, 17" Andros 18.5 lbs wheels, Toyo R888 245/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear, Diet includes removing rear seats, passenger seat, and skid plate.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
lautinjr

2006 GTO Owner

SO couldn't you just swap the caliper sides rather then relocate the bleeder screw? It looks symmetrical.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lautinjr...View Post
SO couldn't you just swap the caliper sides rather then relocate the bleeder screw? It looks symmetrical.

They have 2 small and 2 large pistons; if you flipped them side to side you would get some really messed up pad wear.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGTO...View Post
What did you used to have? I have been recently introduced to...and hooked on that track crack, but I need something better than these stock brakes.

I had stock 06 brakes. Never had any issues other some fade. I'm hoping bigger rotors will solve some of the fading issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Gonna leave them painted the way they are? Get your bronze badge of badassery?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver...View Post
Gonna leave them painted the way they are? Get your bronze badge of badassery?

CMP on the 8th with them silver just so I can try to get them to look like this. They I will either sell them to someone with a BOM car or powdercoat them yellow. I will be hard pressed to get them that oranage in one time trial event tho.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Awesome.

* I want those rotors.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

I had to spend $300 for brackets as Proxies was out of stock.

Hoping to have them on by Friday; AutoX on the first for a low speed test; then off to CMP on the 8th for some Time Trial abuse.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

I found a company in NC that will machine me custom rotor hats. $50 rotor rings plus the hats will be 7mm thicker so I don't need wheel spacers; and they will be hub centric.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

$50 rotor rings?! Srsly? PM please.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/160-0277/10002/-1

I'd need to find a wilwood ring the correct size tho
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
Fourman
not as cool as fiveman

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fourman
I would be interested in a setup like that if he wants to make some extras!

Looking forward to your update after the 8th. I want to do some autocross with mine (wouldnt be competitive in whatever class i would be dumped in, just for fun) and ive got the calipers in the garage already.

Are you going to be using dedicated track pads and street pads? Or somewhere in between? I have no idea which pads to get.

Ohio Crankshaft forged 403, LandSpeed L92s, Comp 239/245 .624/.612 112, Kook's 1 7/8, Vararam, Monster3, e85. stock-ish.
DYNO! DIY Dual Gauge Bezel
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #18
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourman...View Post
I would be interested in a setup like that if he wants to make some extras!

Looking forward to your update after the 8th. I want to do some autocross with mine (wouldnt be competitive in whatever class i would be dumped in, just for fun) and ive got the calipers in the garage already.

Are you going to be using dedicated track pads and street pads? Or somewhere in between? I have no idea which pads to get.

I'm not expecting any improvement for AutoX; you go to bigger brakes to have more heat capacity and less fade; not more power. More bite/power is useless if you don't have the tire to use it.

Going to try HP+ for track/street to begin with. Will move back to Ceramics on the street if they are too noisy.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
itsme4g63

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Noisiest pads that I've came by are the ebc yellow stuff, even with their back padding to help reduce squealing, car sounded like a freight train coming to a stop at every streetlight. It's the loudest pad I ever came across. But the car did have significantly improved braking over hawk hps. Noise went away after using loads of high temp caliper grease and a few hundred miles. I found stop tech street pads to work great as well, probably just as good or better than the oem brembo ones, and will throw them on my stock 17" setup.

I've done multiple brembo brake jobs and owned multiple cars equipped with brembos and I must say, If you're looking at track pads, go with the yellow stuff, you'll pay more, but you won't be dissapointed.
My 6 piston Front CTSV2 Brembo 355mm Setup http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454917
Front/Rear bracket kits can be purchased at www.bohnmancustoms.com ls1gto sponsor
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme4g63...View Post
I've done multiple brembo brake jobs and owned multiple cars equipped with brembos and I must say, If you're looking at track pads, go with the yellow stuff, you'll pay more, but you won't be dissapointed.

I had endless issue with EBC pads. Never again will I run them.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Fourman
not as cool as fiveman

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fourman
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker...View Post
I'm not expecting any improvement for AutoX; you go to bigger brakes to have more heat capacity and less fade; not more power. More bite/power is useless if you don't have the tire to use it.

Going to try HP+ for track/street to begin with. Will move back to Ceramics on the street if they are too noisy.

I am changing way too much to notice any difference, haha. The car is sitting in the garage on stock suspension, brakes, and rims and none of those will be in play at that point. Thanks for the good info though... and maybe someday i will do something with the car that can take advantage of the big brakes.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
kuzsgto
o.g.owner since 10/31/2004

2004 GTO Owner

big brake help alot with street driving and so high speed runs to

1 7/8 ARH HEADERS WITH CATS
SPEED INC TUNE,KN CAI,A LITTLE CAM,PUSHRODS,Magnaflow c/b
385hp / 365tq. Now with 18" and brembo's .The original test car for the Billet Aluminum Cts-v Brembo Bracket http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...821&highlight=
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
ddawson
Purple Administrator

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

When I went from the Baer 2 piston to the Wilwood 6 I found it was much better on the autocross. I'm no pro and would run for fun but braking hard without lockup/ABS was much easier with the Wilwood caliper.

Technically the only thing I can think of is with pistons on both sides grab and release must be more precise.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #24
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson...View Post
When I went from the Baer 2 piston to the Wilwood 6 I found it was much better on the autocross. I'm no pro and would run for fun but braking hard without lockup/ABS was much easier with the Wilwood caliper.

I don't have enough brake bite to get ABS to engage with RE-11s.

I got some HP+ pads and Stoptech Cryo-Drilled rotors. Should be on the car by Wednesday.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #25
seawolf06
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Sub'd

The Car: '05 YJ M6
Go Mods: Lingenfelter CAI, Monster 2.5, Kooks LT headers/mids, SLP Predator, Corsa Touring, MGW-P
Suspension Mods: Harrop Diff Cover, Lovells Springs, Koni Sport Adjustables, Pedders strut and front RR bushings
Appearance Mods: Liquidome rear inserts and me behind the wheel
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Post one updated.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
HellaciousA
14s lol

2004 GTO Owner

Very nice!

I just picked up a set of these calipers as well. I got the pin kits (part number 89047759) and the parts guy said that to get the pad hardware I would have to buy the pads. I don't want to run OEM pads, so is there a separate part number for the pad hardware? Or will it come with an aftermarket set of pads?
Same mods, different dynos
Guess which tune drives better?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #28
itsme4g63

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA...View Post
Very nice!

I just picked up a set of these calipers as well. I got the pin kits (part number 89047759) and the parts guy said that to get the pad hardware I would have to buy the pads. I don't want to run OEM pads, so is there a separate part number for the pad hardware? Or will it come with an aftermarket set of pads?

he must mean pads by pad hardware, because the pad hardware is the pins plus the tension plate. You can get aftermarket pads from numerous vendors like tirerack or even ebay. Companies like stoptech/ebc/hawk make pads for these calipers. Although the oem brembo pads are damned good too.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
miker
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ

Monaro CV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA...View Post
Very nice!

PN 89047711 includes pins and the shim thing.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
choicesmade24

2004 GTO Owner

NAPA also has the pads and I am having great luck with their premium line pad.
04 GTO A4 - Magnaflow dual exit catback, Longtubes 06 Taillights, CTS-V Brembo Big Brakes Front and rear, 06 Hood. Lunati 60513 Cam LS6 heads,Pedders Track II with Xa's, Harrop diff cover. Custom tuned by Dynosport, Lincoln, NE
70 GTO - Auto 400 CA Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: