Cosmos with red calipers? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Cosmos with red calipers?

Not sure I've seen this yet and when it's time to do the brakes, I'll be doing the 05-06 'upgrade' more than likely, due to $ and a direct swap (time). However, while the red calipers look decent on certain colors, I can't help but think it won't look right on a purple car, so hoping somebody has this and could share a pic of what it'll look like.

Plan is the oem calipers and vented rear rotor and probably paint the rear caliper to match, since afaik it's the same thing (04 as 05-06).

Any other color suggestions? I wonder what a polished caliper may look like...
1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
1971 Chevy Malibu "383" <--need to get this back together!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
jd_fj
Island Boi

2006 GTO Owner

Think I've seen a pic of a Cosmos with yellow calipers on the site and it looked great. The rear calipers are the same just the rotor is vented on 05/06.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Koebot

2005 GTO Owner

Silver, black or Cosmos would look better but I think it'll be fine with red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_fj...View Post
Think I've seen a pic of a Cosmos with yellow calipers on the site and it looked great. The rear calipers are the same just the rotor is vented on 05/06.

That's GOATCRUISER's car.

Billet Prototypes | Hawk | Kooks | Lovells | Maverick Man | Pedders | Svede | V-LEDS
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks...threw around the idea of yellow, but just don't like that color on calipers. Hmm, not into matching colors of car-caliper but be interesting to see the purple on purple.

Yeah, maybe a silver will be the way to go ultimately....just like to see some examples before I decide.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
vince.s
Wow Wow WeWow

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It's also been mentioned in another thread that you could do the 'polished' look.

I'm not sure which route you are taking with your car (ex. chrome wheels, or a dark wheel) but just take that into consideration
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Douggo
I Hate Spunk

2004 GTO Owner

Silver.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
paulsz28
Bolt Extractor

2004 GTO Owner

Google image search results for "gto cosmos red calipers" found me this link of comsos+red:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6783479

Doesn't look that bad.
Lovells Front RR Bushings + Strut Mounts|Lovells 0-Drop Springs|KYB Shocks/Struts
05/06 Calipers|DBA Standard S/D Rotors|Hawk PC Pads
Kooks SS Headers + O/R Mid-pipes|Stock Asymmetric Mufflers
HSC Stock Height Motor Mounts
Torco RGO|ATE Super Blue Brake/Clutch
Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks for the link and I need to use better keywords, lol.

The red doesn't look too bad and better than I thought...like to see it in person and maybe I'll just try that with the fronts and if it looks alright, paint the rears. The only bad part of that is I'd like to have the calipers off to do whatever 'finish' I decide...maybe just do a mock-up first with the red. Still don't like the yellow on that pic, either.

As for polished, I found some generic polished caliper pics on google and wasn't too much of a fan as they made them look cheap (like chrome) IMO...I think what I'd do then is just do a 'mill' finish and remove the casting. I have some high heat aluminum paint that I did some of my lines with on my other car and it looks good, so that's a possibility. One bad thing about bare (or polished) alum. is it gets oxided pretty quick so may look like caca too often.

For the wheels, I'm still undecided but do want to get rid of these oem 17's, but since it has brand new tires it may be some time until I get something else. I liked those polished 5-spoke on that link above (other than the size).
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
paulsz28
Bolt Extractor

2004 GTO Owner

Plasti-dip comes in red. You could like 3 coats of that and 2 of the "gloss" just to see how it comes out. That will get you in the ballpark at least of the color for an "in person" inspection. Then, just peel the PD off!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
The Mighty Pony Goat
Bear Wrestler

2004 GTO Owner

I believe somebody sells purple brake paint (I have a cp), but the color might be too light and feminine. I've been thinking about painting mine, but I think I'll either go midnight blue or mix midnight blue with the purple they sell and then gloss the hell out of it. I'll post some pics when I get around to my brembo conversion in a month or two. Deep black would probably look good too.

"Well then, what's your GTO?"

"My Hammer."
Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Suppose plasti-dip would be an option, although hoping to get a nice pair of front 'red' oem's to check out and if it looked good would be the best option, since it'd be one less thing to worry about (then just have to paint the rears to match). Of course, one thing I don't care for is the "GTO" on the calipers, only cause it has that all over the car already! Too bad it didn't have "Pontiac" instead, or blank. One reason I'd like to "sand them down" too, although shame to get rid of the PC finish.

Yeah, purple can be a tricky color unless it's a darker shade...think that's why I like cosmos so much as it's not too "girly" looking. I mean, I like purple to begin with, so long as it's still a masculine shade. Definitely post up some pics of the final result!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: