Radiator Fan - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
RadRacer84
They call me the crapple

2004 GTO Owner

Radiator Fan

Dumb question. What side is the low speed fan on? I assume it is the larger of the two fans.

'05 hood | '05 rear bumper | SAP spoiler | SAP grill | custom grill | JBA shorties (I know, I bought it that way) | catless mids | P&P TB | CAI | UD Pully | HPTuners tune | Koni Struts (mounts and bearings replaced too) | Koni Shocks | B & G lowering springs | Pedders radius rod bushing....more to come!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The manual designates them as small and large. No reference to low and high. I believe the low/ high is in the relay setup.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

From Manual

Cooling Fan Operation
The cooling system includes 2 dual speed engine cooling fan motors, both of which drive fans with 5 asymmetrical blades to reduce air noise. The fans remove heat from both the engine coolant flowing through the radiator and the refrigerant flowing through the air conditioning condenser. The fan and motor assemblies are mounted on a common shroud, which in turn is mounted onto the engine side of the radiator. The A/C condenser is mounted to the front of the radiator.

The fan motors are 12-volt, dual speed types. The internal construction of the fan motor consists of 4 brushes and 4 permanent magnets. A 3-wire pigtail harness is permanently attached to both motors and is attached to the polypropylene fan shroud at 2 locations by integral clips moulded as part of the shroud. Both motor harnesses are connected directly to the engine harness through a 3-pin sealed connector. This enables individual removal of the left and right fan and motor assemblies when necessary. The 2 electrical connectors are attached to the shroud by way of slide lock clips. Each motor is attached to the polypropylene fan shroud by 3 bolts installed at the threaded mounting flanges, which protrude symmetrically from the rear of the fan motor housing. The enclosed fan motor housing is constructed of yellow zinc coated steel. A drain hole is located in the bottom of the housing to allow for breathing and draining of any moisture ingress. Both fan motors rotate in an anti-clockwise direction when viewed from the fan motor side. Both fan and motor assemblies are balanced as a unit. Fan blades must not be separated from their respective motors. Fan motors and blades are serviced only as an assembled unit. The central nut attaching the fan blade to the motor shaft has a left-hand thread
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
RadRacer84
They call me the crapple

2004 GTO Owner

GM has two separate part numbers for the two fan sizes. The fan on the passenger (right) side of the vehicle is not turning on but when tested the relay for the low speed fan will toggle. I believe it is on the passenger side. Never the less, I purchased a right hand side fan motor only to find out that is the smaller of the two not the larger. I wanted to verify I was correct before I chew the seller a new one. Any more help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

let me dig in the manual again.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Can't upload the file . If you're looking at the fans from the engine side the large fan is on the right or passenger side.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
SCyjGTO
Unleaded Regular Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I checked the gm parts site. They choose right and left sitting in the car. From what I can tell fan motor right is the one you needed. It's also the most expensive which would go along with the larger unit.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
RadRacer84
They call me the crapple

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks for your help. Oddly, the right hand fan is the fan I ordered originally but they sent the small one. I need to have a few words with the parts provider. Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: