motor mounts - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
graizin

2006 GTO Owner

motor mounts

Ok, so I recieved my Hinson motor mounts and I am getting ready to do to do this. Can i do this with a floor jack and jack stands? any tricks or special tools required?

Thanks Bill
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Brians Goat
Waiting on new time slip

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Nope, you have all you need, a piece of 2 x 4 for support on the bottom of the oil pan as you need to lift the engine to get them in place. The right side was more difficult for me on both cars I did as there is not as much room to maneuver the old mounts around when you go to take them out. There are a couple of lines on the front of the oil pan that need to have the bolts taken out of the clamps to allow you to move them some, other than that its pretty straight forward once you get the skid pan off and take a good look at it. You will probably cuss the old mounts once or twice getting them out but they will come out. Save the heat shields as you need to put them back on top of the new mounts, don't forget to put them on cause it sucks to lift the motor back up after you have them in place. Ask me how I know!!!

Life isn't about getting to the end gracefully, its more like sliding in sideways, throttle to the floor, body bruised and battered, out of breath, screaming HELL YES,,,,,,,,,WHAT A RIDE!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
SpiceredLS2GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Everything he said plus you might need a saw because the threads on mine were to long so we had to cut them down. If you do have to do this dont forget to screw the nut down lower so it will clean up the threads on the way off.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
graizin

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks all the help guys...
Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I found it easiest to remove the engine to mount bracket, swap the mount and reinstall the bracket.
Vararam
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
MTGOAT
Now Blown :)

2006 GTO Owner

OP, did you ever get around to doing this? I just did mine this weekend and it was "simple" enough... the clearance is the toughest thing. Also helps to have a swivel joint to remove the the bolts for the brackets. I couldn't get the motor high enough because of my headers.

let me know if you need more details. or if you already did it then disregard!

Current vehicles:
2006 GTO PBM/Red M6 1 of 417
2012 Ford Raptor Black/Black
2014 Fiat 500 Abarth (more fun than you would think)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon-SOLD-
2013 Jeep SRT8 Vapor 1of400 -SOLD-

Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Kingmanbc
Fear The Goat

2005 GTO Owner

This job is more difficult with 1 7/8 kooks, I had to cut the stock motor mount on the driver side and remove both heat shields. Took me most of the night last night.

-Buckeye Goats Member
Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
MTGOAT
Now Blown :)

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmanbc...View Post
This job is more difficult with 1 7/8 kooks, I had to cut the stock motor mount on the driver side and remove both heat shields. Took me most of the night last night.

Strange, the driver's side was the easier one for me. I found that removing the actual bracket from the motor was the best way to get everything removed and installed. the bolts took little effort to loosen from the block.

I will say that a second pair of hands is very helpful. I started Friday afternoon when we had 60* weather, then a cold front blew in, we ran out of light after a few hours and I finished the job in 30* weather...

did the trans mount too. the whole car shakes like a mofo now. Haven't been able to get on it yet but you can tell something was stiffened up. Even at start up the noise from the trans is extremely noticeable. Might have something to do with the CF drive shaft and the added vibrations...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: