Installed my DDM 55w 5,000k kit last night - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Realizer
Dat...Ass....

2006 GTO Owner

Talking Installed my DDM 55w 5,000k kit last night

I'm pleased so far. I'll have to clean up the install though. I got the relay along with the kit and couldn't be more pleased.

^No they don't glare that much it's my GS3's lens and the angle. To look at them dead on they look like the pic above.

Pics and video are before adjustment. They seem like they are slow to warm but this was their first firing. *Yes that is a highway you're hearing, my building is right next to a mix master*

FYI - I ordered last Wednesday, they shipped from China on Friday, and arrived here in Dallas on Wednesday.
I had more fun with my 3.91s than I did with my pecker during the same period of time. Just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp...View Post
Maybe its just me but personally I think you are full of shit.

Last edited by Realizer; 12-07-2012 at 12:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
dantheman
ROW ROW ROW...

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to dantheman Send a message via MSN to dantheman Send a message via Yahoo to dantheman
mine have gotten faster at firing as they have aged as well.

i dont recall it ever being THAT slow, but it shouldnt be an issue.
SNL 346, AFR 205s, TSP 233/239, Fast 92/92, SSOTRCAI, SW LT's, Full 3in Catback with Xpipe and magnaflows, Monster LT1S twin disc, RPM level 4 trans, gforce CF 1pc DS, pedders street II, staggered VMR V710 18s.

465/422
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Realizer
Dat...Ass....

2006 GTO Owner

It's a moot point honestly, my headlights fire when I unlock my car. By the time I walk to it they should be fully warmed. I've got to adjust them tonight so I don't blind people on the way home.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
MAD MARK

Ive never had problems with DDM until lately when I have had to return both my foglight ballasts. And one of my headlight 5k bulbs went bad too.

I had 5k DDM headlights in my tC no problems. The GTO is another story.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Realizer
Dat...Ass....

2006 GTO Owner

It's our wiring mang.... I've killed 2 decent quality kits already. This time I'm running the relay though.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
dantheman
ROW ROW ROW...

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to dantheman Send a message via MSN to dantheman Send a message via Yahoo to dantheman
ive been running mine for 4 years from DDM with no issues. 55 watt kit too. they both fire off every time.

saras on the other hand, doesnt. have to run the relay kit.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Glad they worked out for you. I wouldn't blame the wiring for failures.

However for lulz, try googling DDM tuning prick

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
2014 Cruze Eco w/ my balls in spacious glove compartment
fquick
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
BMR Suspension

The DDM kit has proven to be very good. I have the 55w 5000 in my GTO and I enjoy them. They did, however, burn up the ballast AND bulb on the passenger side. Could have been because of water. Not sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Realizer
Dat...Ass....

2006 GTO Owner

Every time I lose a ballast or bulb it is the passenger side. :dontknow: I've never burned up one of these kits so we'll see. I may just buy some extras.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
MAD MARK

Yes passenger headlight bulb and passenger foglight ballast...
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Aim the headlamps, and stop turning them on & off.
Vararam
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension...View Post
The DDM kit has proven to be very good. I have the 55w 5000 in my GTO and I enjoy them. They did, however, burn up the ballast AND bulb on the passenger side. Could have been because of water. Not sure.

Because DDM?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
Realizer
Dat...Ass....

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post

Only turned them off and on so to show brightness. I aimed them this weekend. Holy Bright!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:

This guy knows what's up!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
GreekGTO89
Need Moar Modz

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to GreekGTO89
My 55W 4300K headlights from DDM fired up, but they weren't as bright as they should have been, and were very yellowish, infact they were dimmer than my stock headlights. I had tried everything to figure why this was, but to no avail. DDM's customer service was below satisfactory. They stopped answering my calls or emails when the first couple steps of troubleshooting didn't work.

I was also running the relay wiring harness and had replaced my battery with an Optima high output battery. They offered to send replacement bulbs and ballasts, but only if I took mine off my car and sent them back to them out of my own pocket, and payed for the shipping cost for the replacements. Meanwhile my daily driver for college would be without headlights the entire time, (broke the stockers upon installation, DOH!). So much for lifetime warranty.

Last edited by GreekGTO89; 12-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
Realizer
Dat...Ass....

2006 GTO Owner

^Did you use the relay?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
GreekGTO89
Need Moar Modz

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realizer...View Post
^Did you use the relay?

Yes, I did use the relay harness
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realizer...View Post
Only turned them off and on so to show brightness. I aimed them this weekend. Holy Bright!

Gotcha, I've heard that frequent on/off cycles play havoc with HID life span. I just have 35w 4300k's but I really like the output, only now I hate the headlights in all my other cars.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
dantheman
ROW ROW ROW...

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGTO89...View Post
My 55W 4300K headlights from DDM fired up, but they weren't as bright as they should have been, and were very yellowish, infact they were dimmer than my stock headlights. I had tried everything to figure why this was, but to no avail. DDM's customer service was below satisfactory. They stopped answering my calls or emails when the first couple steps of troubleshooting didn't work.

I was also running the relay wiring harness and had replaced my battery with an Optima high output battery. They offered to send replacement bulbs and ballasts, but only if I took mine off my car and sent them back to them out of my own pocket, and payed for the shipping cost for the replacements. Meanwhile my daily driver for college would be without headlights the entire time, (broke the stockers upon installation, DOH!). So much for lifetime warranty.

so it is their fault you broke the stock bulbs?

i know this is going to come as a surprise, but there are dishonest people in the world who say something is broken to get replacements sent out to them and never send back the defective part.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I read he was without head lights because he somehow broke the stock bulbs when removing them. And he is mocking the DDM "lifetime warranty" because you have to send the defects back first, and on your dime.

I could be wrong though.

Standard H11's are pretty common, so $15 for bulbs to drive at night isn't out of the question. I have a set of regular bulbs incase my HID shit the bed. You never know.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
GreekGTO89
Need Moar Modz

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman...View Post
so it is their fault you broke the stock bulbs?

i know this is going to come as a surprise, but there are dishonest people in the world who say something is broken to get replacements sent out to them and never send back the defective part.

Quote:
I read he was without head lights because he somehow broke the stock bulbs when removing them. And he is mocking the DDM "lifetime warranty" because you have to send the defects back first, and on your dime.

I could be wrong though.

Standard H11's are pretty common, so $15 for bulbs to drive at night isn't out of the question. I have a set of regular bulbs incase my HID shit the bed. You never know.

Let me elaborate:

I bought the 55w 4300k HID's along with their 35W 4300 fog light HID's, and the relay harness. I never got to installing the foglights, infact I still have the 35w ballasts and bulbs.

They wanted me to pay $20 to return everything, and once they arrive pay another $20 to have the new ones shipped to me. That's $40 I need to pay out of pocket for a $80 or so kit because of a defect in their product, hardly cost effecient. Regarldess of it being easy to go get some new bulbs for $15, I'd have to wait another week and a half to try installing my HID kit all over again, which took time in the very cold winter weather; time which a college kid studying for finals didn't really have much of.

If they cared about their customer service a little more, they would bite the bullet for their defective product, maybe make you pay for return shipping, but definitely not make you pay for the shipping for the replacement parts. Most reputable sellers for almost anything will trust the customer, send new parts right away as not to make the customer wait (maybe charge a refundable core fee), and wait for the defects to be returned to them to resolve the problem in a timely manner. Again, the majority of sellers that care about customer service, will trust the customer will send back the defects. I doubt if a kit from China that cost them far less than what I payed would send them into bankruptcy if I happened to be 1 out of those 100 douchebag customers just trying to get a free ride by lying (which I sent them videos and pictures of the defective kit so they knew I wasn't trying to screw them over.)

They were nearly impossible to reach by phone, hardly responded in a timely manner to any emails, were for the most part rude, pushy, and treated you like you were a waste of their time.

That is why I would never purchase anything from them again.

Last edited by GreekGTO89; 12-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #22
Tyler Z28
Bangin Gears

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGTO89...View Post

If they cared about their customer service a little more, they would bite the bullet for their defective product, maybe make you pay for return shipping, but definitely not make you pay for the shipping for the replacement parts. Most reputable sellers for almost anything will trust the customer, send new parts right away as not to make the customer wait (maybe charge a refundable core fee), and wait for the defects to be returned to them to resolve the problem in a timely manner. Again, the majority of sellers that care about customer service, will trust the customer will send back the defects. I doubt if a kit from China that cost them far less than what I payed would send them into bankruptcy if I happened to be 1 out of those 100 douchebag customers just trying to get a free ride by lying (which I sent them videos and pictures of the defective kit so they knew I wasn't trying to screw them over.)

agreed that's a little weak on their part. I buy all mine and my friends HID kits on ebay from this one seller because if they burn out or a ballast goes bad he will have a new one at my door in 2 days after a few emails/pictures back and forth.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Dropping stock bulbs back in should take no time at all, swap HID bulbs for H11, unplug factory harness from HID ballast and plug into H11. Done.

Not trying to be a dick, I feel you on the shitty customer service, but I wouldn't let a crappy HID kit keep me from driving my goat.

Passenger side sucks a little, but just loosen the battery and shove it aside. 13mm socket and extension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: