Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

In-Dash ECU Program Control?

First I would like to apologize if I missed any previously made threads on this subject and would greatly appreciate if anyone would point me to them if they exist. I did a search both here and on a few other forums as well as Google. However, the problem is that I don't know exactly what to search for or what it's called... so that limits my ability.

Perhaps if I explain it, you guys could point me in the right direction.

The problem I'm running into with my goat is after all the upgrades and power-adders, my goat is tuned for the extra air and fuel flow but I'm not always able to give her what she needs. I find myself cruising around a lot on post and I would like to be able to have a switch that modifies the car's programming instead of having to get out, hook up a programmer and reprogram it myself each time.

Some of the new BMWs are incorporating this (however, I've seen some with 3 selections, but I would just do two: street and strip.) I cannot recall the make/model of the BMW that I saw a couple of years ago, but I did happen to run across an article about the BMW M6 that has a "Power Button" that allows you to switch between preset programs:

"The new BMW M6 comes with a Power button (pioneered in the M5) in the centre console. Initially the car pre-selects the P400 setting, delivering 400bhp for town or city driving, for example. Engaging the Power button modifies the response of the throttle and enables the P500 setting to deliver the full 507bhp generated by the V10 engine."
(Full Article Here)l

I was wondering if you guys knew of anything out here that I would serve this same purpose that I could have installed? As I said, I would like some sort of in-dash button/switch that allows me to select between different pre-set programs so that while I'm cruising around town I could, say, lower the HP/TQ and increase the gas mileage, lowering the amount of air/fuel the engine needs to run smoothly and optimally. Then when I want to go all out and get the most out of my engine, I could switch it back to the tune I currently have.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

| SAP | APS | Spec | StolenFox | Falken | Nexen | Kenwood | SpencerW | SCSS | FLC |EDC |

Aforementioned Mods Pics & Info

Soon:

| NW/F.A.S.T. 102 | Pedders | Monster Twin Disc | MavMan v2 |
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
mistermike
10-4

2004 GTO Owner

GKPW52

Diesel?

Blown H/C 408 and other stuff. Billet tires. Plasti Dip tints. Stage 3 keyboard. /////.
2008 HHR SS tweaked
2003 CTS w/ dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
Diesel?

What do you mean?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
The problem I'm running into with my goat is after all the upgrades and power-adders, my goat is tuned for the extra air and fuel flow but I'm not always able to give her what she needs.

What exactly are you power adders? And why do you say that you are not able to give her what she needs?

People have 800+rwhp setups on these PCMs and are able to give their engines all that they need...so you must be making some serious power for the GM PCM not to be able to handle it.
The cylinder heads became deformed because the air filter was so dirty they couldnt handle all the build up of air and oil coming through the air filter and the throttle body so i tried replacing the air tube with a cold air intake and i think the extra power blew out the cylinder heads and they crashed through valley pan into the crank. Then the crank spun hard and threw the pistons up to hard to cause a misfire

Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Rauq
is a scrub

2004 GTO Owner

Right foot?

1 of 323 IBM/black/M6/04

Torquer V2 112 | SLP LT | BC Racing Coilovers | Hawk HPS | Whiteline bits | Self-tuned with HP Tuners | LS7 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike...View Post
Taking advice from Ford guys is like....well...taking advice from Ford guys. "Hey, lets add 3 more cams so it will make less power and take up more space."

Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtan...View Post
What exactly are you power adders? And why do you say that you are not able to give her what she needs?

People have 800+rwhp setups on these PCMs and are able to give their engines all that they need...so you must be making some serious power for the GM PCM not to be able to handle it.

I've got the APS Twin Turbo setup and it's currently tuned at 12psi (fuel system limitations). It's not tuned to be daily-driven around town at 30mph. It's more or less tuned for my lead foot, if you catch my drift.

I'm just looking for something that allows me to switch between two different tunes so that I can have one that limits my torque and horsepower while increasing my MPG (if at all possible) that's more suited for daily driving around town and in stop and go traffic.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
slow

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to slow
if tuned correctly, one calibration should be fine based on your needs, unless you want a speed limiter type tune.

I run a livewire TS color touchscreen that allows me to reflash (with the engine off) to change tunes. it stays connected all of the time for data monitoring, so changing tunes is easy.

Ryan
Sold: 1998 WS6 M6 #370 Bright Red
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
It's not tuned to be daily-driven around town at 30mph. It's more or less tuned for my lead foot, if you catch my drift.

How come it's not tuned for daily driving? If tuned correctly, the PCM can drive like stock at part throttle and get great MPGs then scream at full throttle.

Seems to me like whoever did your tune did a half ass job and did not tune part throttle driveability.

What you can do is get an electronic boost controller that you can use to turn the boost down for cruising then up when you want to play. But that has nothign with the tune. The PCM can handle both aspects as mentioned.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow...View Post
if tuned correctly, one calibration should be fine based on your needs, unless you want a speed limiter type tune.

I run a livewire TS color touchscreen that allows me to reflash (with the engine off) to change tunes. it stays connected all of the time for data monitoring, so changing tunes is easy.

Ryan

I believe this is something along the nature of what I'm searching for. Do you have any more information on it such as the manufacturer, costs, and ease of install?

Quote:
How come it's not tuned for daily driving? If tuned correctly, the PCM can drive like stock at part throttle and get great MPGs then scream at full throttle.

Seems to me like whoever did your tune did a half ass job and did not tune part throttle driveability.

You may be right. I haven't had a lot of luck with speed shops around my area. I've had 3 screw me over so far. I feel as though the goat is tuned for the extra fuel and air flow to compliment the increased power and I've been running into all sorts of engine trouble, turbo trouble, fuel pressure problems, etc and I've done nothing but drive it smoothly since it last came out of the shop.

Forgive me if I sound like a noob, but I've been deployed for 11 months so far (still here) and my car has been down-and-out since before I left. I'm a bit out-of-touch with everything and am just trying to find solutions to problems that may arise in the future knowing given my luck with speed shop dependability.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
What you can do is get an electronic boost controller that you can use to turn the boost down for cruising then up when you want to play. But that has nothign with the tune. The PCM can handle both aspects as mentioned.

More info on this?

Also, I believe the tuned my car for more or less at its fuel limitations. I think that might also be a problem. For instance, it's tuned for 12psi but perhaps the fuel system I have can just barely support 12psi or perhaps only can support enough increase fuel flow for 11psi and there's where I'm running into issues?

So what you're suggesting may also be a feasible solution.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
Kingsize
Tech Mod

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Look up "tuned by frost, dual flash pcm". I know he makes one for the 04', but I am not sure he has done the E-40 for the 05'-06' yet. You may have to call and see what all is avaliable now. Its been a while since I have seen any of their products.

2006 GTO: 500rwhp Stock bottom end LS2 with Bolt on's
Idle Clip>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rKmw2DDZY
500rwhp Dyno Pull>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z21MepuHe2g

2004 RCSB Silvy, Arrival Blue Metallic, 2/4 drop

2000 Formula: 615rwhp N/A, TH400, 9" Rear
615rwhp Dyno Pull>>> 615rwhp dyno pull N/A
9.87 Motor Pass>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYRSYr3nys

www.fquick.com/Kingsize
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsize...View Post
Look up "tuned by frost, dual flash pcm". I know he makes one for the 04', but I am not sure he has done the E-40 for the 05'-06' yet. You may have to call and see what all is avaliable now. Its been a while since I have seen any of their products.

Thanks for the suggestion! I believe this is something along the lines I'm looking for as well. I did a quick skim of his page and I saw a few options for the 05-06 GTO. I'm going to e-mail them questions now, but I'll check with you on this as well. I'm sure they are, but I would just like to make sure: can the two settings be custom tuned by a local speed shop (provided I find one worth a shit)? This way I could have them tune one for economy in cooperation with all the bolt-ons I have and one for maximum performance.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
CoolAid
Dat Torque

Carputer for $300, 7" touch screen for $200. Tuning and full gauges for less then a overpriced pod & gauge set will cost you (provided you own tuning software).
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauq...View Post
Right foot?

Yeah, I was going to say we have a gas pedal that controls the amount of air entering the engine.
If your tune is any good, the ECU will properly control the amount of fuel and timing to match the input given by the gas pedal. Light throttle better mpg, heavy throttle better mph. Check it out.
Vararam
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
87LC2
Dr. Mantis Toboggan

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The only reason I see for two different tunes would be a mild one for pump gas, and a wild one for race gas.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
Steel Chicken
L33T IT Direktor, Excel PhD

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

As others have already said:

A proper tune handles all driving conditions. It maximizes your mileage at part throttle and maximizes power at WOT. You only need to change tunes if:
1) you can't control your foot
2) you change fuel

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
CoolAid
Dat Torque

I have (2) tunes due to the extreme temperature swings in AZ.

115F in summer, 40F winter. 91 octane that goes through summer/winter blends (smurfing California).

All that is really different is the amount of idle timing, total timing, the ramp rate for the timing through the band and the IAT timing table.

Simple changes but it keeps the driveability consistent in the hot stuff and provides an extra safeguard against detonation on less than ideal fuel.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to HunterKiller89
Sounds like you want a boost controller really...
4psi or 6psi or w/e you want on the street to help limit power, and 10-12psi on race days or what have you. Simple solution to a simple problem

There's no reason for two tunes, unless one is using E85 or a race gas or something like that, which isn't the case here. I highly suggest you don't bother trying to pursue that path, as it's much more expensive, involved, and unnecessary compared to an e-boost controller
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

fwiw, the bmw M5 & M6 (I'd think) have a button that changes it between 8 and 10 cylinder modes, or 400 and 500 hp modes, respectively...always thought that was silly, but suppose from a mpg pov it may be alright.
1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
1971 Chevy Malibu "383" <--need to get this back together!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
HunterKiller89
Ecotec tech

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to HunterKiller89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR...View Post
fwiw, the bmw M5 & M6 (I'd think) have a button that changes it between 8 and 10 cylinder modes, or 400 and 500 hp modes, respectively...always thought that was silly, but suppose from a mpg pov it may be alright.

it wouldnt change from 8 to 10 cyl, its just throttle manipulation, no?
running on 8 in a V10 would be very imbalanced and create some poor balancing I would think, unless the disabled cylinders aren't static and change every revolution
Old 12-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Hiro
Goatimus Prime

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89...View Post
Sounds like you want a boost controller really...
4psi or 6psi or w/e you want on the street to help limit power, and 10-12psi on race days or what have you. Simple solution to a simple problem

There's no reason for two tunes, unless one is using E85 or a race gas or something like that, which isn't the case here. I highly suggest you don't bother trying to pursue that path, as it's much more expensive, involved, and unnecessary compared to an e-boost controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
The only reason I see for two different tunes would be a mild one for pump gas, and a wild one for race gas.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think this is the route I'm going to take. Anyone have any suggestions of nice boost controllers, any mountable and if so where would be a convenient location to mount one? Somewhere out of the way and nice looking.

I think later I might try and get one of those dual flash PCMs and run two different tunes on it for like everyone has said: race gas and pump gas, but that'll be later on down the road.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Vigilante375
Out and about

2006 GTO Owner

My buddy had an 05 STi with a boost controller located in his center console then he had a switch put to the left of the steering wheel on the dash where he could switch in between the maps that his tuner made. Something like 1 for DD, 1 for aggressive driving and 1 for "valet" mode.

If it were me I'd do the same.

'06 Brazen Goat PB 12.62@111.63 - RIP 02/15/11
'12 Alpine White BMW 135i - stock - 13.5@102.6
'11 Lime Green ZX10r - stock

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #23
JNR
Quidditas

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89...View Post
it wouldnt change from 8 to 10 cyl, its just throttle manipulation, no?
running on 8 in a V10 would be very imbalanced and create some poor balancing I would think, unless the disabled cylinders aren't static and change every revolution

To be honest, I am not 100% sure what it does, but going by what a few enthusiasts had told me and I thought that was strange and possibly not correct...The only reason I believed it to possibly be true (physically) is that they do have DoD (goes by many names), where it "drops" cylinders under certain conditions for better fuel economy...my jeep hemi did this, going from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder, so figured it was something similar. They mentioned something about the 8 cyl mode being for economy too, but who knows...Never too interested in bmw's so never bothered looking it up for myself...probably not a good idea for me to rely on others though, knowing how internet lore/misinformation can be.

Whatever the case, I always thought what a stupid thing that "gadget" button is if it wasn't done for mpg (say it dropped two cylinders) and what is the point? I mean, since day one, the driver can control the power with the throttle pedal, lol...they're always trying to remove us from the driving experience, lol...but, I can see those types who buy these sorts of cars as they don't really know about cars or anything, but like the bragging rights..."look thorton, my overpriced bmw has a "power button", and your overpriced german crapbox doesn't mmmeh". lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
slimbobaggins
Let's roll

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Sounds like your #1 priority should be getting your car retuned by someone who knows what they're doing. #2 is addressing fuel system issues, and #3 is getting a boost controller.

http://www.757goat.org/phpBB3/index.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAid...View Post
Shaking/vibrating/rattling more is actually a bonus to me. I enjoy the Parkinsons effect at a stop light while the car belches out fumes of unburnt fuel from its monster lopey overlap. To me, thats muscle car.

Mods: ARP hardware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: