UPP's Affordable Fuel Sytem! - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Fuel System Upgrades

Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
CK@UPP

UPP's Affordable Fuel Sytem!

Ok, well after messing with the idea to duplicate our already proven fuel system form the Corvettes, we decided to make one for the GTO guys as well. It's almost done, we've got probably 1 week left to get everything documented and finish with the install video, but it's pretty much done!

http://www.uppcos.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=347

It's a completely stand alone fuel system, that piggy-backs your existing fuel system. It's complete with PTFE SS braided AN lines, -6AN Fittings, Fuel pump, check valve, regulator, and return system. We designed it to be a simple bolt on, that's only active under boost pressure (or nitrous arming switch, etc). This means that when you're idling and light throttle cruising, you're running completely off of your stock fuel system, untouched. But once our system is activated (5psi, adjustable) the walbro 255 supplies more than double what your stock fuel system can. And it even plugs into your stock fuel rails for ease of installation! And like I said, this is a complete system with a return, right down to the nuts and bolts!

This system is a complete parallel system, that accompanies your existing fuel system, fully stand alone all by itself. It features it's own fuel pickup from the tank, lines, filter, pump, regulator, and return.

Right now we're targeting to match our Corvette pricing of $649, but depending on the end result and length of lines used, this may change a bit.

We're also working on a stg 2 version with aluminum fuel rails and full AN fittings.

If you're not partial to Walbro, we have Bosch 044's option as well, completely interchangeable!

CK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTOFuelLayout.jpg (45.5 KB, 1812 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.jpg (104.7 KB, 1585 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (75.8 KB, 1584 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0750.jpg (104.5 KB, 1592 views)

Visit us: http://www.uppcos.com
Find us: http://facebook.com/UPPCOS
Follow us: http://twitter.com/UPPCOS
Find us on Revv: http://revvolution.com/u/upp

Last edited by CK@UPP; 02-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
St.Mary
Because race car

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to St.Mary
How do you actually pull fuel out of the tank? Any pictures of that? Also, where does it return?

Thanks

2005 QSM - TC78 Front Mount Build - 12.6@116 full weight, M6, street tire, 6psi
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
socal gto

2006 GTO Owner

Is there a way to mount the regulator under the brake resevoir? That would save on some excess lines instead if going to the front if the car and back. You could probably run the line that goes to the rail to the firewall and run it ontop if the rail also
1/8: 1.594 94.16 7.254
1/4: 1.656 116.68 11.622
totalled 12/6/2010
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

It has to be a certain distance from the firewall for it to pass inspection at some drag events.
However, I do agree that this could definitely be cleaned up more. It looks pretty rough, as-is.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
b727pic
Old Guys Rule

2004 GTO Owner

I applaud any effort to bring more options to the GTO community. Understanding that this is a rough draft, I am sure that some "clean up" would be done for the final kit version.

One thing I am abit confused about, why spend this kind of cash on a fuel upgrade and limit the fuel feed cross section to a -6? For high HP applications a -8 would be minimum IMO.
LME Iron 403 shortblock: Callies Crank, Compstar Rods, Wiseco coated pistons, EDC custom cam, Rhoads lifters, QTP 2 piece timing chain cover, QTP hi vol oil pump, EDC custom AFR 235 heads, T&D shaft rockers, QTP Scatter shield, ACT twin clutch, JBA shorty headers, JBA midpipes, Magnaflow catback, PWM Meth Injection, custom staged twin pump boost reference return fuel system. 650HP in search of the missing 75HP
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
usuckatlife
aka Collins

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to usuckatlife
i do like this!

1 of 714
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
kjhallex
80 swap in the works

2006 GTO Owner

I'm interested, but I would like to see a cleaner install under the hood also.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

06 PBM M6
Performance: Kooks SS Headers, HF cats, 2.5in Spintech catback w/ 4inch tips, 4l65 swap with Vigilante converter , HP Tuned, drag bags, D1 Procharger, and EPP Blower Cam. 6psi 612rwhp, 510rwtq
Appearance:55w 6000k HID's, 20% tint, Pioneer headunit, SCSS boost, fuel, and AFR gauges, & Polished 18's!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
sam_gto
LS6 GTO

2004 GTO Owner

i like this a lot
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
CK@UPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Mary...View Post
How do you actually pull fuel out of the tank? Any pictures of that? Also, where does it return?

Thanks

We installed a bulkhead fitting into the top of the tank, and a pickup that pulls fuel inside. The return is T'd back into the feed line, just before the fuel pump, an no, there are no cavitation issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal gto...View Post
Is there a way to mount the regulator under the brake resevoir? That would save on some excess lines instead if going to the front if the car and back. You could probably run the line that goes to the rail to the firewall and run it ontop if the rail also

We're working with this still. We had a really good mounting point, and everything was installed pretty clean, but we forgot to check hood clearance. We're playing with different location for a clean install, as well as to not have an abundant excess of lines running everywhere. The pics we posted were just to give a general idea of the layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick...View Post
It has to be a certain distance from the firewall for it to pass inspection at some drag events.
However, I do agree that this could definitely be cleaned up more. It looks pretty rough, as-is.

Could you please post links to this? I'd like to make sure we get it correct for everyone w/o breaking any rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b727pic...View Post
I applaud any effort to bring more options to the GTO community. Understanding that this is a rough draft, I am sure that some "clean up" would be done for the final kit version.

One thing I am abit confused about, why spend this kind of cash on a fuel upgrade and limit the fuel feed cross section to a -6? For high HP applications a -8 would be minimum IMO.

Yes, on the cleanup. As far as the -8 lines, let's be honest, you're not going to use this system on a 2500hp funny car. The lines aren't the issue here, the pump will be the first limitation. Keep in mind that you're still running your stock fuel lines (which are close to -6), and people have run stock fuel lines in excess of 800hp, that being the case, 2x -6 would be ~1600? The inlet/outlet on the walbro's is only 1/8" NPT, way smaller than -6.

The nice thing about this system is it's easy to install, functional, and upgradeable. You can easily T in a second walbro, it will adapt to aftermarket fuel rails, and since we already have all the lengths and layout, we could easily make it -8, -10, -12, hell we can make it whatever you want!

But really, when we designed this, we're after the guys that need a bit more fuel, but aren't going for the gold with a 1500hp setup. Our "ideal" customer that we're targeting would be someone like 05GTO, simple bolt on of our turbo kit, 8psi, and a single intank walbro just wasn't enough. He ended up with a Walbro plus a KB BAP, and our system will out flow that any day! We could upgrade it to -8 lines, bigger pumps, etc., but in reality most of our customers won't really be needing all that, and I don't feel right charging them for something they don't need.

Like I said the nice thing about this is it's fully customizable to what every you need. Our biggest request is SS for the return instead of rubber, and no problem we can do that! But at the same time we can keep a budgetable for the masses.

It's because we are still a small company, we have the ability to adapt to your needs. Whether it be HKS BOV's on your TT kit, SS return lines, or -8 fuel system lines.

I'll have more time to work on this and post up some more pics tomorrow.

CK
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Per nhra regulations
http://my5ltr.tripod.com/NHRArules.html
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Quiksilver
Grumpy Bastage

2004 GTO Owner

Soooo, you just not going to filter the fuel coming from the tank???
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
socal gto

2006 GTO Owner

Can the reg be mounted to the bracket for the brake resevoir? I thought I saw one mounted that way recently.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
erock
other kids were doing it.....

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I am in for something like this right now! Have 2300 begging to be installed before spring.

Billet Pro Shifter, SCSS Pod w/oil/volt, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, catted mids, SS 3" catback, SCSS mounts, Harrop rear cover, Hotchkiss Sways, BC Racing ER, with 9k,10k springs, poly bushings, BMR skid plate, SFC, and STB, JHP lip v2, SLP Predator, Pedders Fast Rack. Installing: SNL Blower cam, Harrop HTV2300, Willwood 14" BBK
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #14
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Can the reg be mounted to the bracket for the brake resevoir? I thought I saw one mounted that way recently.

Those with a Procharger wouldn't benefit from that, though. And it must be 6" in front of the bell housing.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
armyracer
sixspeed sex scene

2006 GTO Owner

i might be going rear mount turbo so i might just be in the market for this
Long tubes, catted mids, kooks muffler deletes, pedders track pack,drag bags, AEM cai, GMM Ripshifter Race, SLP skipshift, Kyne splitter,tinted tails, street slayer full face hybrid clutch, 228R Cam, ls7 lifters, comp hardened push rods, comp double roller billet timing chain, Fast 102, Fast billet fuel rails,slp underdrive pulley, Dashhawk, scss gauge pod, MADD KATS CUSTOM TUNE 30MPG HWY!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
CK@UPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver...View Post
Soooo, you just not going to filter the fuel coming from the tank???

Look closer...

Quote:

I think it's too close to the heat from the manifolds, but I'll look to see what room is there.

Quote:
Those with a Procharger wouldn't benefit from that, though. And it must be 6" in front of the bell housing.

Would this be considered a "Fuel Block" then? That's really all that I can see that needs to be 6" up from the bell-housing.

Quote:
Per nhra regulations
http://my5ltr.tripod.com/NHRArules.html

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
1_slow_goat_ A4

so is this pump inline with the stock pump?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
CK@UPP

Updated post #1 with pics, explanation and a diagram.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

What model fuel pickup is that?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
CK@UPP

UPP part #Pickup002? LOL I guess I'm not following. The pickup is simply a bulk-head fitting installed into the top of the tank with a -6AN/3/8" tube inside that "picks up" fuel from the bottom rear of the tank. Same concept we do on the vettes.

You could also just install the bulk head into the bottom basin of the tank, then it would be just like a fuel cell, but with the steel brace in the way, and the added possibility of leaking, we've included everything to mount into the top of the tank, as it seems to be the simplest solution.

The install instructions will be posted up soon, this may clear things up a bit.

CK

Quote:
What model fuel pickup is that?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Oh, I was curious what it was, for use in my own fuel system.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
CK@UPP

Quote:
Oh, I was curious what it was, for use in my own fuel system.

Look in the pic in post 1, with the whole fuel system laid out, should give you a better idea. And if you need separate pieces or individual parts, I can get you setup as well.

CK
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #23
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

I already saw it, thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #24
wkdivr

I like your idea for an ad on system, keeping the factory fuel module assembly. One question, though. Most pumps don't like to feed from the top of the tank, most like to be gravity fed. Do you think that might be a problem? Have you had any systems like this out, on the street.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
CK@UPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdivr...View Post
I like your idea for an ad on system, keeping the factory fuel module assembly. One question, though. Most pumps don't like to feed from the top of the tank, most like to be gravity fed. Do you think that might be a problem? Have you had any systems like this out, on the street.

Yes, we've run plenty of systems like this before. We did alot of testing, and even completely dry the pump has NO problem pulling the fuel upwards. Once the systems is primed, it's even easier, as the pump sits way below the tank with longer line than what's vertical in the tank. This causes a siphoning effect.
The only down-side to this type of fuel system (or fuel cells) is since it does not have an actual bucket, fuel slosh is more prevalent. So you'll want to keep your tank above 1/8 or so to make sure there's always enough fuel to cover the pickup.

CK
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #26
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

What happens at full throttle with pickup in the bucket?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #27
CK@UPP

Quote:
What happens at full throttle with pickup in the bucket?

You mean if we routed the pickup into the bucket? I'd assume that it could (with long throttle pull) run the bucket empty. So we just run the pickup straight into the tank, just like many of the racing fuel cell designs do.

The buckets are designed to trap the fuel in them and keep the pumps submerged when you're low on fuel, this way you don't get the sloshing shutter problems. We're trying to leave the stock system completely untouched so it operates as normal all the time and just pull fuel from the main cell as needed.

CK
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
wkdivr

(quote) The return is T'd back into the feed line, just before the fuel pump, an no, there are no cavitation issues. (quote)

Why don't you just return it back directly to the tank? Looks to me ( and I may very well be completely wrong) that having the return t'd into the feed line would keep looping the fuel, possibly causing problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
johnwins
SSgt @ USAF Hunger Games2K14

2006 GTO Owner

Does anybody know if this would work on a M-Series Maggie??

Intake/Exhaust/Boltons/Maggie/Monster/MGW-P/Gforce-Everything/HPTuners
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #30
Audacious Nick
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Only if you have stock rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: