Help!!! GTO Wont start ! - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
PBMGOAT91

2006 GTO Owner

Help!!! GTO Wont start !

Hey guys I'm new to this forum didn't know where else to turn to for help before i take the car to the shop.. well here's my scenario. My GTO will not start if i let it sit over night or a couple hours when i turn the key all it would do is click once and then click one more time but when The car only start is when i let the battery charger charge the battery for a lil bit of time or i hook up jumper cables to the battery. .. I have changed the battery checked the connections, the grounds, starter and i have had the charging and starting system tested. Im running out of ideas i really dont wanna take it to a GM dealership but if thats what i have to do i have no choice other than to do that if you guys could throw out some ideas or if this has happened to you i would greatly appreciate the help guys.. once again thanks guys hope to hear from you guys soon
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
frankb

2005 GTO Owner

The first thing you need to do is get a volt meter and check both battery voltage 12+v, and running voltage 14+v. If you do not have 14+v while the engine is running then you have a charging system issue, such as a problem with your alternator. If your battery wont take a full charge of 12+v then you need a battery. Even new ones can have a bad cell. Not very often, but it happens. After checking your voltage search this forum for starting issues with your results. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
PBMGOAT91

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks for replying my friend but I have checked it with a volt meter and the battery was maintaining a charge of 12.6 to 12.8 after i got it to start and then when it was running the battery was holding 13.8 to 14.2 volts. Me and my buddy were thinking that there is a minor drain somewhere i remember talking to a GM Tech when i was at work and he was saying some thing about the cars computer draining the battery and the the computer would have to be reflashed but im trying to see what other ppl think before i take it to the shop since it could be some thing i over looked
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
\.-.

2004 GTO Owner

You guys definitely did the right thing with the volt meter check as the first step.

If your problem is electrical, here is next place I would check. The wiring harness rubs on a metal bracket right behind the glovebox. All you have to do is pop out the glovebox (only one metal clip and a pin--pulls right out) and look up to see if the wires are stripped. I adjusted my passenger's side seat all the way back and laid upside down with a flashlight. This was the night after I bought the car (79k used), and sure enough mine were wearing through. Check out the pictures and more details in this thread:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377773

This is found in the Tech Lounge forum along with a lot of other common problems and simple modifications people have made to maintain the car. Once your car is up and running well again be sure to give this stuff a look. It's golden and could save us all thousands in the long run. Lots of great member input and knowledge on this site.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
dreadpirateroberts
derp

2005 GTO Owner

The car electronic's won't drain the battery overnight. Unless something is taking a poop (like your BCM maybe? BCM harness is another good place to look, as mentioned by this fellow ^^^).

You may also have poor connection at the terminals or grounds, which can cause similar symptoms.

2004 Impulse Blue Metallic/Blue M6 - much slower than it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
I like my cars how I like my woman. Small, light, low to the ground and pre obd2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft...View Post
GTO is jack of all trades, master of none.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
frankb

2005 GTO Owner

These cars normally will drain the battery after sitting for sometime, but if you are draining overnight you have have more than a minor drain. If you do a search there are quite a few threads that have the exact info you are looking for. Here is a link to a thread with your problem, and a list of things that need to be checked for parasitic loss.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386515
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
PBMGOAT91

2006 GTO Owner

Thanks for the info guys imma try what you guys have said and if I can figure it out I might just have to take it to a GM dealer as much as I don't wanna do that I might just have to lol
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
700Rocket

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

GMM Shifter
Bohnman sill plates "PONTIAC"
Vararam
JHP Dash pod plus custom dual pod with Aeroforce
Kooks 1 3/4 headers with Cats
Magnaflow Stainless system
Billet Prototypes Catch Can
VX Tails
Ported TB and Intake, Thanks to Cory @ Portworks
Complete Red interior install, seats, doors and dash.

Lost my little pug friend 3-21-2014, RIP Buddy Bob.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
PBMGOAT91

2006 GTO Owner

Oh and one other thing I for got to mention the cars.lights and everything turn on and when I go to turn the key they dim a Lil bit and when I turn the key the lights.go back to.normal
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
deadfoot

2005 GTO Owner

Make sure your ignition snaps when you pull the key out. This removes accessory power.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
BaylorGoat

2004 GTO Owner

Mine has been doing this from time to time. I find that if I pull both the positive and negative and put back on it starts just fine.

I have had both the battery and the alternator checked and both are fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
PBMGOAT91

2006 GTO Owner

Well Guys I went through everything on the car and again and found out that the start solenoid was sticking so i replaced the starter and now everything is fine thanks so much for your opinions i appreciate it alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: