Installed H/U - Battery Issues, Misc Q's - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Stereo/Electronics

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Installed H/U - Battery Issues, Misc Q's

I saw a similar post on here, old one that matches my symptoms, but there was no resolution..

Bought a Pioneer AppRadio 2 from another member here. He had already wired the harness to the ASWC from Axxess Interface for steering wheel control. I had connected the H/U to the car's harness, made all appropriate grounds for that. But didn't complete the ASWC hookup, as I'm still trying to figure out how I can connect to the 3rd portion of the goat's harness w/o snipping wires if the next owner decides to put a stock radio back in.

Anyways... Got the radio powered on and was playing around for maybe 5 minutes with the car off. Everything sounded excellent from FM stations. Shut it off, came back maybe 6 hours later to hook up the gf's iPhone to test that compatibility out. Everything sounded like shit. Rear deck subs weren't firing at all, when they were previously. Turning volume to 12-15 there was horrible distortion when before it sounded awesome. This whole time was less than 15 minutes of using the radio with the car off. Noticed ABS and Airbag faults showing up on DIC.

This morning, car wouldn't start. Just rapid clicking. Multimeter said 12.1 v with key off. Key in ACC position multimeter said 6.5v. Is that normal? Charged the battery up and it started just fine. Reading normal voltage now. I've since unplugged the head unit, not knowing if somehow it was causing some massive battery drain. I double checked all the wires he previously crimped, and all looks good. Could hooking up ground on the steering wheel control box, but not power, or not grounding the proper pins from the factory harness cause this?

Also, next newb question: The AppRadio 2 only has 2 sets of RCA hookups. Front, and rear. The rear is switchable to subwoofer control. Am I correct to assume that if I want to add subs to replace original rear deck ones, that I need 2 amps? 1 amp for all 4 speakers, and then that amp has to have a pre out, to connect the subwoofer amp to, in order to power the subs? To control both rear deck subs (looking at Kicker 10CVT654 free air rated), do I need a 2 channel amp, or can I use a mono sub for those?

Anything else I should look for when selecting the amps, besides a pre out for the 4 regular speakers and ~50 RMS rating?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
lilweazel
douche de luche

2004 GTO Owner

First for the steering wheel controls. You don't need to cut the wires to add them just cut a portion of the insulator and wrap the control wires just make sure you seal it up good.

As far as grounding you can use the ground wire from the stock harness to ground everything. No need to ground to anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
04' GTO - FIRST GTO with QA1 coilovers in ALL 4 corners. Lovells bushings everywhere, hotchkis sways, JBA shorties, catless mids, cutouts, flowmaster american thunder catback. Custom tune. Svede. GForce rear coilovers, GForce 1-piece DS, 3.91, TruTrac, 6 piston front 4 piston rear WilWood BBK, Some other shit...
13' Tigaun SEL 4motion - Every goddamn option...
01' Range Rover HSE - GONE
99' Grand Prix GT - GONE
87' Grand National
87' T-Type - GONE
84' Crown Victoria - GONE

Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweazel...View Post
First for the steering wheel controls. You don't need to cut the wires to add them just cut a portion of the insulator and wrap the control wires just make sure you seal it up good.

As far as grounding you can use the ground wire from the stock harness to ground everything. No need to ground to anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Thanks, I'll try that in a little bit. It was strange, plugged the factory radio back in, and the deck subs worked perfectly. Not sure WTF was going on when the Pioneer was plugged in. The rear speakers worked fine, besides the horrible distortion. Since the subs and rear speakers feed off the same wires, I'm at a loss for why they stopped working out of the blue.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
LSPWR

2004 GTO Owner

Your dead battery issue is more than likely from listening to the radio without starting the car. Signs of a weak or failing battery if you indeed only had the key on for a few minutes before leaving the car for a few hours.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPWR...View Post
Your dead battery issue is more than likely from listening to the radio without starting the car. Signs of a weak or failing battery if you indeed only had the key on for a few minutes before leaving the car for a few hours.

It's definitely something more than that. Something messed up with this head unit install.. I've listened to the radio with the car off for 30+ minutes prior to this.

The blue/white wire from head unit in one part of the manual states to plug it in to the antenna booster lead on the harness. That's what the previous owner of the h/u did. Another section in the same install manual states don't ever plug it in there, because it'll cause excessive drain. So I spliced the antenna booster wire in to the 12v on/off red wire to see if there was a difference.

When the car is off, everything is fine. No battery drain. Had the h/u installed for 2 or 3 hours and voltage was the same. Turned car to ACC, messed with the radio for under a minute, and started getting Air Bag and ABS faults. With car still in ACC mode checked the battery. Watched voltage drop by .10 probably every 5 seconds? Insanely fast. Got down to 8v when I shut it off and put the battery back on the charger. Something with this head unit is sucking WAY too much juice.. Battery has been 100% fine prior to the other day.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
ICANHAZGTO??

2006 GTO Owner

Battery is smurfed. I read your entire post, but sorry, your battery is dead/dying. Get a new one.

I had a similar thing happen with my Z130 install. Had the unit powered up for maybe 10-15 minutes and the car wouldn't start. Airbag faults, clicking from the starter, etc. I jumped it and it worked fine until it started getting a little colder outside and it wouldn't start at all.
The problems you have now are indicative of a failing battery. How old is your battery?

Reading your post again where you mention the voltage dropping insanely fast. That just verifies that the battery is smurfed. Think of it like this. If you left your headlights on, and only your headlights, which take more juice than the H/U btw, there is no way in hell they would drain a healthy battery that quickly. I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but your battery is toast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by ICANHAZGTO??; 01-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Just strange that it only started showing symptoms immediately after installing new electronics. Although I haven't disconnected the battery in probably over a year? Maybe that's what kick started it.

Guess that's what I'll be doing tomorrow. If I don't have to F with this radio any more I'll be a happy camper!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
LSPWR

2004 GTO Owner

It is not the headunit, it's a battery issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

Don't like coincidences.. But will be heading to O'Reilly after my next meeting to pick up a new one.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
GTOzilla
100K club

2004 GTO Owner

My original (7 Year old ) battery died within 1 hr. It started nice, I parked the car, no indication of a problem, 1 hr later it had less then 5 volts. Replaced and works fine since the last 1.5 years.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Doug-04PBM

2004 GTO Owner

Installed H/U - Battery Issues, Misc Q's

I don't even smurf with my radio with my car off.... It kills the battery way too fast... I needs a new battery.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
cavell

2006 GTO Owner

That was definitely the issue. Replaced battery in O'Reilly parking lot, drove 5 minutes home, then messed with the Android screen mirroring in my garage for 30 minutes in ACC mode all the while playing music. Battery still had full charge and the car started right up.

Now to just decide if I want to leave it "good enough" or start with speakers and amps!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
ICANHAZGTO??

2006 GTO Owner

Re: Installed H/U - Battery Issues, Misc Q's

Glad ya got it figured out. I'd suggest upgrading speakers with a decent amp at a minimum.

Personally I have an amp waiting for installation. Just trying to pick out some component speakers for the install. Can't wait for spring so I can actually drive it again!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: