Svede installed/"Learning Your Car" general - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Ehrgeiz X
Leading cause of missing 3rd

2004 GTO Owner

Svede installed/"Learning Your Car" general

So, as stated, my Svede arrived, brand new from WCS today. I got my hands on a dremel and went to town on that sucker. A few near-flaming bits of melted plastic in the eyes later, I was mounting her up. So far, no rub or any negatives. The car is getting retuned tomorrow (though unfortunately it seems my planned head install is all but happening now). First, gotta say WOW. World of difference in power and throttle response. I felt like someone swapped in a bigger engine behind my back. I knew it was gonna feel better, but I was also closing off a VERY bad intake leak while upgrading from a K&N. I was legitimately worried about breaking the tail loose on a third gear pull (and I have NT05R drag radials in the rear). It's been confirmed I seemingly make more power than I should and all, but what the eff. Maybe she'll calm the hell down when she isn't running rich enough to choke a bull moose to death with fuel fumes, but I sure hope not. SSOTRCAI = pricey, long wait, but totally worth it.

As for the "Learn Your Car" aspect... Something else I noticed over the power... The tone in my exhaust note. Before, it sounded a bit... Raspy, I guess (pretend Spintech doesn't have a rep for it for this). Up until about 4k RPMs. At 4k RPMs and higher, it was a very buttery-smooth sound. Adding the Svede made it smooth all over. Total change in sound and feel. Like the car was basically singing to me "Thank you! SWEET JESUS, thank you for closing off that leak!". Ever have one of those moments?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 IBM M6 Cavalier SS
Svede. Pacesetter LT's, Spintech R221's. Pedders/Lovells holding up the rear. NT05R's on her feet. Tuned by Chuck Anders
350/360 on a hot day
1 of 478
LSX Reapers' token '04 Goat
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Riddler_GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrgeiz X...View Post
SSOTRCAI = pricey, long wait, but totally worth it.

Sounds good, glad you are happy with the results. I can't wait to get my hands on mine. I am doing Kooks LTs, catless mids, MGW-P shifter, EE catch can, a Svede OTRCAI all at the same time, then a tune right after. Just waiting on my Svede now, and I ordered it first, before everything else.

When did you order from WCS? I ordered mine 11/16/12 and am still waiting.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Why, exactly, did you attack the thing with a Dremel?

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2...View Post
A Prius is a vehicular dunce cap.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
markpetersonii
Sergeant Type

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to markpetersonii

Lol I think he's talking about the radiator cover.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

Awesome. Some of that sound change is because of the increase in sound coming out the front. Believe me when you hit the go pedal in back of a 'stang they'll whip around to see what's gobbling them up.

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Riddler_GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212...View Post
Awesome. Some of that sound change is because of the increase in sound coming out the front. Believe me when you hit the go pedal in back of a 'stang they'll whip around to see what's gobbling them up.

Svede, not to thread jack, but I have the hardest time getting a hold of Spencer. Do you know what the wait time is currently for the CAI's? I ordered mine on 11/16/12, talked to Spencer earlier this month and he said it would ship by mid-January, and here we are late January with no word. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga...View Post
Why, exactly, did you attack the thing with a Dremel?

Because race car

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

Haha very true. Couple of my stang buddies already know... Don't mess with the goats. There's certainly sound engine sound coming from the front, but I'm talking about the exhaust note specifically. It cleaned right up with the Svede on there. I'm really excited to see my dyno numbers today. I'll be sure to post in here about them. I'm sitting on 81k miles with pacesetter LT's, x pipe, Now Svede, and a tune. Any guesses on my numbers? I'll be happy with something close (or over) 350/350 at the wheels.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
CrAzYGOAT
nothing witty today

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

a little off topic but do you have the fast acting IATs in stock?

STOLEN
2004 PBM LS1 M6
Kooks Headers & Street Screamers - Monster stage 1 with tick performance master
Hinson engine mounts - speed bleeder - ASP UD pulley - 3.91 w/eaton tru trac and Harrop cover - BP shifter
RAMJET otrcai - LSXr/102 Big Mouth - Billet Rails - custom coolant crossover
BC coilovers, 19" TSW Cadwells 45mm on f-245/35 r-285/35 - James Biz catch can
JB blacked out arrows and side badges - Mav man spolier and diffuser - Custom suede interior and trim
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Ironmn715
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Just got mine from Fed Ex today. Started the install...so far so far..haha

'Moe
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
blackgote20

2004 GTO Owner

clip of new exhaust sound?
Spintech Super Pro's and X-pipe
SAP Repro Grilles (Spencerw)
JHP: Lip V2
18x8.5, 18x9.5 AZA Z-1's
BC: BR Coilovers
Whiteline: Front RR Bushings, Strut Mounts
Tint: 20% Rear, 35% Front
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgote20...View Post
clip of new exhaust sound?

Hmm, I can try, but I doubt a camera will be able to pick it up. It's very subtle. The best way I can describe it is the exhaust note going from rough to smooth, but it's very, very slight. I'm willing to bet my fellow GTO owners in the area won't even be able to tell the difference.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Hmm, I can try, but I doubt a camera will be able to pick it up. It's very subtle. The best way I can describe it is the exhaust note going from rough to smooth, but it's very, very slight. I'm willing to bet my fellow GTO owners in the area won't even be able to tell the difference.

I know how you feel bro, my car was a world of difference and I still need a tune...the power, the smoothness and sound has changed but not enough for regular folk to tell, one of those, you know your car inside and out moments and only you know that something has changed. My wife was like..."It sounds the same."..........No honey its different, you just don't drive it everyday.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
EGO KLR

2006 GTO Owner

Maybe it's just me, but when I installed my Svede on my '04 I didnt notice hardly any increase in performance. I know it helped bc I tracked the car before and after and it did pick up a couple tenths, but I never understood why people think its a HUGE increase. The average person cannot tell the difference in a couple tenths quarter mile IMO.

I can see how people tell the throttle response difference. But not the HUGE performance increse. Just my .002. Congrats OP on your new purchase.

'06 M6 BOM- Longtubes| Catless| Vararam| DBA| Hawk| Pedders| PB 12.45@111 Untuned
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
bartelt05gto

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO KLR...View Post
Maybe it's just me, but when I installed my Svede on my '04 I didnt notice hardly any increase in performance. I know it helped bc I tracked the car before and after and it did pick up a couple tenths, but I never understood why people think its a HUGE increase. The average person cannot tell the difference in a couple tenths quarter mile IMO.

I can see how people tell the throttle response difference. But not the HUGE performance increse. Just my .002. Congrats OP on your new purchase.

Same here. I think a lot of it is all in the head.
Poolshark Ported Intake
Slp Longtubes
Svede
NicD Tune 372/360
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
SJFGTO
Oh it's Friday night

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:

On a somewhat distinct but related note, I noticed a significant, seat of the pants difference with my Vararam in comparison to the K&N in all conditions, but particularly on cool evening drives. So, I have no doubt that a Svede could produce significant SOP improvement.
2005 M6 QSM/BLK, Pedders track II+steering rack, Kooks stepped LTs, catless mids, Corsa Sport, Vararam, polished TB, ported FAST90, FAST46lb injectors, A.I. cnc ported/milled TF220s, Cam Motion custom cam (230/236 .630/.620 113+3 lsa), ASP pulley, OZ700 clutch, GMM ripshifter (race), Hawk ceramic, DBA slotted/drilled rotors, RE-11s, G-Force driveshaft, BMR shafts/stubs, Harrop diff cover, Harrop TruTrac, 4.10s

Built/tuned by Spartan LSX Performance!
492RWHP @6200 rpms / 448RWT @4800 rpms
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
EGO KLR

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO...View Post
On a somewhat distinct but related note, I noticed a significant, seat of the pants difference with my Vararam in comparison to the K&N in all conditions, but particularly on cool evening drives. So, I have no doubt that a Svede could produce significant SOP improvement.

Im by no means saying it's impossible. But I think when people know about heat soak issues on GTO's, and they have a hot air intake i.e K&N, then they swap the part for a known good ram air intake, they have this mind set that their car is going to be a completely different animal. So when the first test drives comes, you've already convinced yourself you have a faster vehicle and am now oblivious to what the vehicle felt like before hand.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Blazer15

2006 GTO Owner

How can an air intake change the exhaust sound?? I don't think that would make the slightest difference.

Now you will hear the intake 'hissing', but that's about it.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Koebot

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer15...View Post
How can an air intake change the exhaust sound?? I don't think that would make the slightest difference.

Not a huge difference but it does.

Billet Prototypes | Hawk | Kooks | Lovells | Maverick Man | Pedders | Svede | V-LEDS
Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Blazer15

2006 GTO Owner

Well I got ripped off then!! My exhaust note didn't change.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
TheRocket
I Wanna Go Fast

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer15...View Post

The same way a cam changes the sound. The same way better flowing heads changes the sound. Think of the engine as a pump.

2005 Pearl Orange Metallic
PB:12.98@107.1mph
LS3 Intake/Heads - Comp Custom Grind Cam 224/230 .609/.609 113+2 - FTI 3200 Triple Disc - Svede - Lunati - Katech - Cometic - GMPP - SLP - Kooks - MagnaFlow - BC 8/10k Coilovers - Pedders - Whiteline - DBA - Hawk - TSW Cadwells - Goldilocks Splitter - Maverick Man Carbon Spoiler - Morimoto - 06 Tails - Elemental Designs Nine.1 Amp - Phoenix Gold - Hybrid Audio - TC Sounds - Kenwood
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
jbo'sgoat
150k Club

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

I made the same claim and got flamed! I got third place in a high school car show because of it.

'05 QSM M6
Ported Intake Manifold, Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Duspeed OTRAI LS3 maf, Kooks, Cherry Bomb Mufflers, MGW-P, BC Coilovers, 4 cornered DBA 4000 Slotted, Motive 3.91's built by AmericanBadAss

396 hp 382 ft/lbs tq tuned by Diablew

JBA Shorties w/catless mids, Ported Intake Manifold, Svede
379/384 Diablew Tune
12.661 @110.2mph 1.92 60' on street tires

www.baublesandbowtiesphotobooth.com
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

I paid a bit more attention to it during my tune. It seems to be mid-range only. Kind of like a screaming/singing difference. I now realize that it was always kind of doing it, but now it's just a bit more obvious to me like someone stated, "it's your car and you know it inside/out".

But going from a HAI to this? No, it truly did become a different beast, but that's also because I had a leak big enough to see through! Lol (I'll post pics later on). So, going to a Svede PLUS closing that gap made an enormous difference. Also, got my final numbers. I had a weird torque spike in my final pull that made it read 381 torque, but according to the rest of the dyno sheet, my final was 343/360 on a hot, humid day with Svede and full exhaust (plus tune). I'm pretty happy with those numbers. I was hoping to scrape 350rwhp, but she drives like an animal now. The comparison of now and before the tune/Svede is very obviously different.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
1QWIK7

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to 1QWIK7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelt05gto...View Post
Same here. I think a lot of it is all in the head.

It is mostly in the head.

Unless you do before and after dyno numbers, you wont know exactly how much you gained.

You can only think of the advertisements. "guaranteed to make 20+hp". "SOTP difference!!!" etc etc.

Then when you get it, you remember those advertisements and roll with it.

Its a placebo effect. While of course they give you extra power, the testimonials of the svede that people give are rather exaggerated.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Its mostly in my head I guess, but there is noticable difference in overall perfomance of the car.

Been apart of a 21 RWHP gain once. We pulled a K&N off and installed a Svede. After a few pulls and the tuner made adjustments. Final gain was 21 HP & 11 TQ, numbers increased across the board with no other changes to the car. The car did have a previous tune on it prior with a K&N, maybe a poor tune is possible here. At the end of the day it was a gain.

Anyone else have any Svede improvement numbers to share?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

I was at 330/343 with my K&N. today I put down that 343/360 with the Svede.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
Hitman9

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
I was at 330/343 with my K&N. today I put down that 343/360 with the Svede.

Thats awesome, I'd be real happy about that Tq number +17 gain. Good stuff.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
05 yellowjacket
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

SVEDE FTW!!

-In storage till spring 2015.
-BC Coilovers & Bushings installed.
-SAP grilles
-18" OEM's
-Svede OTRCAI
-SCSS Gator Pod with Aeroforce gauges.
-Mavman Billet YJ arrowheads
-WCS SAP lower grill insert

-1 of 234 (definately fewer) 05 A4 YJ'S
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #29
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Svede absolutely for the win, haha.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1359167954.105444.jpg
Ignore the 381 Tq. It was a temporary spike. It was really about 360 without that burp.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1359168009.775300.jpg

Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #30
Ehrgeiz X

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman9...View Post
Thats awesome, I'd be real happy about that Tq number +17 gain. Good stuff.

Definitely. I was hoping to break 350rwhp, but if you notice the temp and humidity in my pictures, some night time driving will bump my numbers up. Also, STILL no rubbing from the hood. So far so good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: