Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
coreseller
Put over 250K on GTO's

2004 GTO Owner

Group Purchase for Atlas Scissor Lift

I got the go ahead on this from ElPuerco:

I will be purchasing one of these in the next month or two regardless, but I figured I would approach Greg Smith Equipment anyway to see what type of discounts are available. Here is the link to the lift:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

Regular Price is $1495
Group of 3 orders will be $1395 per
Group of 10 or more orders will be $1345 per

Please check out this link regarding shipping costs / restraints:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Shipping_2

Buyer will have to either pay for shipping or go to the closest Greg Smith Equipment location (Indianapolis, IN / Newark, DE / Atlanta, GA / Phoenix, AZ / Hudson, NH / Miami, FL / Austin, TX) and pick up. If you do indeed pick up you will have to pay sales tax which could likely wash out much of the savings you think you would get from not paying shipping. Real savings on shipping could be achieved if multiple lifts are sent to one location, then the buyers could transport them home from there splitting the freight bill.

Please refer to the Greg Smith website regarding information on the lifts, it's capabilities, shipping and or any other questions regarding it, I am by no means an expert on it.

I will be purchasing mine sometime in Mid February or early March, email me directly (not always on these boards regularly) at coreseller@fuse.net if you would like to order one. Thanks.......Mark.

Here is the Link to Rennlist where I briefly describe how I am going to recess the lift:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ssor-lift.html
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

I don't know what type of work you are planning for the lift, but it looks pretty much worthless for exhaust work or any driveline/ transmission work.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
coreseller
Put over 250K on GTO's

2004 GTO Owner

I'm not trying to sell anyone on this lift vs. others, if I had my druthers it would no doubt be a 2 post but there's no way my garage will work with anything but a scissor lift. For me this is a compromise vs. what I really want but it sure beats nothing.

Many other guys have them that I've talked to and are thrilled.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
GGGGOAT
CCGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
I don't know what type of work you are planning for the lift, but it looks pretty much worthless for exhaust work or any driveline/ transmission work.

^^^ This ^^^

I would consider one of these instead. We installed one of these a couple weeks ago and, in my opinion, well worth the extra couple bucks. When you're done using it, unbolt it from the floor and wheel into the corner.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
coreseller
Put over 250K on GTO's

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGGOAT...View Post
^^^ This ^^^

I would consider one of these instead. We installed one of these a couple weeks ago and, in my opinion, well worth the extra couple bucks. When you're done using it, unbolt it from the floor and wheel into the corner.

I considered one of the MaxJax lifts also, there have been several group buys for $1800 in the past year and Costco runs sales regularly. For me I decided against it after talking to "seasoned" owners who've had them for a year or more. The set-up time was their main complaint, not to mention the storage space required when not in use.

The beauty of the scissor lift, especially if you recess it, is that it's out of sight and mind when not in use. If you do want to use it, pull over it, set the "pucks" and press a button. Lastly, my recessed lift will have a 3/4" piece of plywood inset into the floor over it when not in use, if you need a workbench / table to use in the garage wala.

Like I said, if this isn't for you cool, if you are vaguely in the market it's a chance to save a little money.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
cyplandscape
got mods

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

Worked just fine for me and another goat owner of the scissor lift stye, check my post in another thread......

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...90#post9024290

QSM/Red-M6-389hp/405tq.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
redtan

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Worked just fine for me and another goat owner of the scissor lift stye, check my post in another thread......

I'm sure it works well for "fixing loose connection in exhaust system" as you stated, but I woudn't want to drop the catback and midpipes with this jack in the way.

It's good for engine and rear end work, nothing in the middle like driveshaft, exhaust and transmission.
The cylinder heads became deformed because the air filter was so dirty they couldnt handle all the build up of air and oil coming through the air filter and the throttle body so i tried replacing the air tube with a cold air intake and i think the extra power blew out the cylinder heads and they crashed through valley pan into the crank. Then the crank spun hard and threw the pistons up to hard to cause a misfire

Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

By the time you cut your concrete, dig a hole, set rebar and pour more concrete, you can buy a Max or similar lift. If storage is a problem, just mount one leg close to the wall, and you only will have to store one leg if it is in the way. If I was going to spend the money, I would want to be capable to get to everything if I "had" to. I'm NOT saying your idea is not good, just my thoughts before spending 2 grand.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
high school goat
Retarded Spark

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to high school goat
The only things I need alift for are in the middle of the car. I would pass till you had room for a real lift or make friends with someone who has one. Just my 2 pennys
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
esau999
O_o

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I've been looking at the MaxJax for about a year now for no other reason than ease of transmission and drivetrain work...I might pick one up this year. I agree with other posters: that scissor lift looks largely worthless for the kind of work I would like to do to my vehicles, other than engine and some suspension work, in which case it's expensive for what it is.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
coreseller
Put over 250K on GTO's

2004 GTO Owner

In the past week I've cut, drilled, beveled, anchored and welded stainless angle that covers the concrete edge. I then grounded screw heads flush and went over the whole thing with 60 grit flap wheel. Today I cut and anchored in the composite material that the plywood will rest upon to cover the lift when not in use, also trimmed out the PVC pipes that are drains and under-the-floor passages for the hydraulic lines. Looks like I'm pretty much done with the hole, will be ordering lift and picking it up two weeks from today, if anyone else (currently have 2 buyers) wants one we will get a $100 discount......Mark.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

Nice work !
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
coreseller
Put over 250K on GTO's

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Nice work !

Thanks. Now that the prep work is done is really wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. Man hours involved was total of 20 to 25 counting my 2 boys. Costs thus far broke out:

$316 for concrete
$250 (gift card for montgomery inn) for buddy who owned concrete company, his wife threatened me if I did more....GREAT PEOPLE
$150 for stainless angle, screws and anchors
$45 for composite decking
$87 for welder, up for sale on CL for $65
$20 for misc pvc, concrete grinder blades,etc
$1500 to $1600 for lift w/tax dependent on group buy
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
coreseller
Put over 250K on GTO's

2004 GTO Owner

Final Bump for Group Purchase, I promise. I will be ordering this Wednesday or Thursday of this week, so far 2 definites, need one more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: