Key blade holder needed/no fob - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
cesjr02

2005 GTO Owner

Key blade holder needed/no fob

Here's my issue. I just had a remote start put in my 05 GTO. (What a pain for the installer.) Long story short, they tried everything but had to disable the immobilizer all together. My factory key fob has been gutted, so I have no need for the fob part of my key, (it does nothing anyway.)

I would like to find either a key blade that I can get cut, or better yet, find something my key blade can fit into and screw in place. I've tried searching Ebay for various Holden keys and they all have the fob built in.

Any solutions besides finding someone with a CAD program and a 3D printer?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Tecrun19

2004 GTO Owner

Amazon. Search "GTO key blade" Second and third option. Cost $11 and $9

I know other sites will also just sell the blade. I remember finding some a year ago

Last edited by Tecrun19; 02-14-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
05ls7gto
Original Owners Club

2006 GTO Owner

You can do this:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424868

2005 QSM/Anthracite/17/A4 - R.I.P.
2006 SRM/Anthracite/17/A4 - Mod List
2014 PBM Chevy SS/Sunroof/No Spare - Holden Conversion
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
cesjr02

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ls7gto...View Post
You can do this:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424868

That's great work and exactly what I want. I'll have to PM the OP to see if he's still making those for people. But the thread is from a while ago. Or I might attempt it myself since I already have a cut key blade. All I need is a handle.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Jay_J

2004 GTO Owner

I've been curious about this too. I have a viper alarm and remote start chilling in the box ready for install once I get this key thing figured out.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
06 Blue Devil
Dragon Slayer

2006 GTO Owner

The easy way to install a aftermarket alarm with remote start is to have someone with HP Tuners turn off the VATS in the system and the factory alarm system will be off and just a key with no remote atached will start the car. Then it is just a normal install with the aftermarket system.
06 Impulse Blue, Blue, 6Sp, 18" JHP gauges, SAP grilles, SAP Ft. Bumper, SAP Rockers, Kooks SS headers, O/R mids, Corsa Sport Exhaust, DSS driveshaft, DSS stubs and halfshafts, pedders track II, hotchkis swaybars,gentex mirror, Dominant Motorsports CAI, Jamesbiz catch can, DBA cross drilled and slotted rotors, Tuned by Blue Devil Motorsports. 2nd GTO with the GTO rear insert letters light up, 1st in blue, Bohnman LED conversation in Blue, Bohnman step plates in blue
Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Ehrgeiz X
Leading cause of missing 3rd

2004 GTO Owner

Key blade holder needed/no fob

Keyblades you say...?

ImageUploadedByAG Free1360895869.440284.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 IBM M6 Cavalier SS
Svede. Pacesetter LT's, Spintech R221's. Pedders/Lovells holding up the rear. NT05R's on her feet. Tuned by Chuck Anders
350/360 on a hot day
1 of 478
LSX Reapers' token '04 Goat
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
cesjr02

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Blue Devil...View Post
The easy way to install a aftermarket alarm with remote start is to have someone with HP Tuners turn off the VATS in the system and the factory alarm system will be off and just a key with no remote atached will start the car. Then it is just a normal install with the aftermarket system.

I believe that's what they did. My key/fob no longer has a chip in it, and I can start my car with only the key just fine. I'm just looking for a smaller handle for my key.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
06 Blue Devil
Dragon Slayer

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesjr02...View Post
I believe that's what they did. My key/fob no longer has a chip in it, and I can start my car with only the key just fine. I'm just looking for a smaller handle for my key.

If they removed the chip from your remote, it is wired into the system. Bypassing the lock and key part of the security loop. You should find the chip somewhere under the dash where they installed the alarm system.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
DSMinVA
Resident electronics hacker

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Yeah more than likely they just soldered some wires between the fob 'guts' and the wires on the ignition cylinder so the car thinks the key/fob is always in the ignition. That method would properly fool the BCM/PIM.

Curious - does your factory security light even come on or flash?
Performance: P/P 243 heads, 5 angle VJ, Milled .010, Comp 921's, LS6 valves, LS7 lifters, TR 224/224 111 lsa cam, Comp trunion upgrade, SLP LT's & catted mids, Magnaflow CB, LPE intake, SLP MAF, SLP oil pump, JP double roller chain, MSD
Driveline: 3.92's, Harrop diff cover, DSS axles, GMM, LS7 clutch, GForce 1pc DS, Beyern Rapp on 275/35/18
Audio: Pioneer X940BT, Diamond Audio

401hp/387tq
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Where is this car parked most days?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Trekk

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to Trekk
You could do it JDM style! Just find a plastic object of your liking, Heat up the key and jam it into the plastic!

hahaha

Rawr!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
Tripp

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesjr02...View Post
That's great work and exactly what I want. I'll have to PM the OP to see if he's still making those for people. But the thread is from a while ago. Or I might attempt it myself since I already have a cut key blade. All I need is a handle.

I have the OP's mold for the key now. I am going to make keys for myself when I get home. If you would like one let me know and I would be more than happy to make you one or two while I am doing mine.
LS6 243s|Dual Springs|Titanium Retainers|Trunion Kit|VRX3 Cam|
FAST 36# Injectors|Melling HV Oil Pump|Kooks Coated LT|Borla XR-1|
SLP UDP|Norris Motorsport Catch Can|
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
cesjr02

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMinVA...View Post
Yeah more than likely they just soldered some wires between the fob 'guts' and the wires on the ignition cylinder so the car thinks the key/fob is always in the ignition. That method would properly fool the BCM/PIM.

Curious - does your factory security light even come on or flash?

My mistake. The key fob still has the resistor inside the fob. The installer was unable to use the resistor (the value of which the immobilizer uses). And my understanding is they disabled VATS.

It is odd though, sometimes after remote starting the security light will flash until I put my key in the ignition. (Or come within range of the fob.) However today it did not come on or flash at all. I even took the key blade out of the fob and the light never came on.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
cesjr02

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp...View Post
I have the OP's mold for the key now. I am going to make keys for myself when I get home. If you would like one let me know and I would be more than happy to make you one or two while I am doing mine.

Thanks for the offer. I think I might try to do one myself with the Alumilite mini kit and some black dye. Thais way I can use my key that's already cut. Let me know how yours turns out and if there are any tricks to the process.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

The GTO does not use a resistor as with other GM models. It's not unusual for an installer to assume that it does, but it's a totally different system.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
cesjr02

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder...View Post
The GTO does not use a resistor as with other GM models. It's not unusual for an installer to assume that it does, but it's a totally different system.

You're right. I found some further information on the subject. No wonder the installer had such a difficult time. Directed's tech service points to our cars have a VATS system that can be bypassed with a resistor. It appears they are misinformed as most of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: