Gas Tank relocation - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
reverendfrost

Gas Tank relocation

Just a curious question. I was wondering if the gas tank can be moved from the trunk to under the car where its supposed to be? And if so how much of a pain will it be and how much it will set me back?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
TT_GOAT

2006 GTO Owner

Sure, I'm sure I saw this (this=GAS TANK relocation) when I searched some old threads about trunk battery relocate, but I have to ask: what's wrong with it where it is?
2006 PBM GTO 6-speed, APS twin turbos, Patriot Performance Heads, BC/G-Force coil-overs, Dual -8 to Aeromotive fuel rails, twin 255 Walbro pumps, Monster Twin Stage 1 clutch, GForce 1320 Anti-Hop Lvl 1 axles, DSS inner stubs, RA6 widebody, Morimoto HIDs, Kooks 3"

Last edited by TT_GOAT; 02-22-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: someone misinterpreted :-)
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Shtbxr364
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I think he said gas tank, not battery? Sorry I don't have something to say that's helpful....what about eliminating the tank, and installing a fuel cell that's smaller and off to one side. I assume you want more room?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

There is a lot of info on this. I plan on doing this later this year but its so I can have a fuel cell and a custom return style fuel system. Its pretty much the only practical way to do it. Its not the same tank as the monaros have in Aussie Land that is under the car and to get one sent from over there is going to be quite a bit of money. Here is a link to team SCSS's shop car they had its how mine will be setup.

Just click on the view all or slideshow button to look at all the pictures.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11611...674?banner=pwa
They who shall not be named LTs
Vararam CAI insulated w/ relocated IAT sensor
TruTrac Installed by Gforce1320
DSS 1pc D/S
Gforce1320 Rear CoilOver setup
12.6 @ 108.3 with a 1.93 60ft and a DA of 3500ft.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Shtbxr364
Premium Member

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Wow! That is slick!! I assume ours is in the trunk for crash ratings?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
TT_GOAT

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0b0dy1987...View Post
There is a lot of info on this. I plan on doing this later this year but its so I can have a fuel cell and a custom return style fuel system. Its pretty much the only practical way to do it. Its not the same tank as the monaros have in Aussie Land that is under the car and to get one sent from over there is going to be quite a bit of money. Here is a link to team SCSS's shop car they had its how mine will be setup.

I've done a return style system with the stock tank setup. Modeled it after the APS twin turbo fuel system upgrade that they no longer sell. It was fairly straightforward but cost about $600 just for the lines (teflon lined stainless), fittings (earls) and fuel rails (aeromotive). I already had the aeromotive regulator and twin in-tank pumps. The stock feed line is used for the return circuit and 2 each 3/8" feed lines run from the tank to the fuel rails. Link:

http://www.airpowersystems.com/gto/f...sgto-fss05.htm
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_GOAT...View Post
I've done a return style system with the stock tank setup. Modeled it after the APS twin turbo fuel system upgrade that they no longer sell. It was fairly straightforward but cost about $600 just for the lines (teflon lined stainless), fittings (earls) and fuel rails (aeromotive). I already had the aeromotive regulator and twin in-tank pumps. The stock feed line is used for the return circuit and 2 each 3/8" feed lines run from the tank to the fuel rails. Link:

http://www.airpowersystems.com/gto/f...sgto-fss05.htm

Yeah I know I can do it in the stock tank but I like the fuel cell setup better. Just a personal preferance is all. Shoves the weight a little bit farther back so I guess thats a plus. Oh and I can fit more groceries back there with the gas tank out of the way too. lol
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
reverendfrost

@nObOdy1987 that setup looks sweet! If you dont mind how much will that set you back? I just want my trunk back. As it stands i have enough room for one bowling bag and or my work duffle bag lol
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

For the setup that I'll be running it'll be around 700 bucks. Thats with me doing all the work though of course. If you're paying somebody to do it plan on spending at least a couple grand as you have to cut out your spare tire well, weld in bracing and a new floor. Also if you drive your car out of town at all you better have AAA because you wont have a spare tire anymore. My car is just a toy now so its not that big of a deal to me.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
reverendfrost

lmao sweet deal. i will be hitting you up on some tips and guidance, but it wont happen untill after i get to guam
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
MuhThugga
Poppycock

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

That's a pretty trick set-up.

PROJECT SILVERBACK IS COMPLETE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDCGTO...View Post
Squeezing another 50 rwhp out of one of those setups would be like trying to squeeze the sarcasm out of MuhThugga. . . . . . . . not gonna happen

Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
lautinjr

2006 GTO Owner

I've actually measured out a 98-02 mustang tank will work well with the spare tire well removed. mounting location is easy and the filler tube from the GTO should be reusable when reangled and extended. aftermarket mustang support is huge so upgrades for fuel is easy. also can be found cheap.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
reverendfrost

nice i will have to look into that further!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
logistixs

2004 GTO Owner

Awesome Setup! Now where am i going to put my spare tire! haha
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtbxr364...View Post
I assume ours is in the trunk for crash ratings?

Correct.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lautinjr...View Post
I've actually measured out a 98-02 mustang tank will work well with the spare tire well removed. mounting location is easy and the filler tube from the GTO should be reusable when reangled and extended. aftermarket mustang support is huge so upgrades for fuel is easy. also can be found cheap.

I thought about this but fuel cells are just so easy and cheap. I can get a 16 gallon cell with all the right ports that I need plus a fuel sending unit in it that has the correct ohms for 225 bucks new from summit. Thats with the safety foam in it already too. They are super easy to mount too, just two bolts on each strap and you're done.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
Lakegoat

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendfrost...View Post
lmao sweet deal. i will be hitting you up on some tips and guidance, but it wont happen untill after i get to guam

If you are taking your car to Guam, it will be a rustbucket when you get back---unless you wash it every day, top and bottom.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
reverendfrost

Oh trust me i will be taking care of my baby
Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegoat...View Post
If you are taking your car to Guam, it will be a rustbucket when you get back---unless you wash it every day, top and bottom.

yeah I've been deployed there a couple of times and its not good for cars. Especially if you plan on keeping them for a while. We were required to wash our gov vehicles twice a week to keep rust off of them. He will have to spend a lot of time and take special care to keep them clean.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Oh trust me i will be taking care of my baby

Be careful on the roads and never speed when they are wet as they are made of coral and get super slick when it rains....which is all the time there. I'm talking slick enough to make our 8,000lb six pack truck spin like it was on ice. Also the locals there are terrible....terrible....terrible drivers so watch out for them too. They will pull out in front of you at any chance they get. Also dont start fights with anybody in the bars when you're by yourself unless you feel like getting your ass beat by 5 or 6 people at a time outside the bar. They wont like you there especially if you're military. Now that the Marines are there they hate us even more. I mean they arent all bad its mostly just the younger ones because a lot of their women end up meeting military guys and leaving so they got a chip on their shoulders about it.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
Gregory
Speed Racer

2006 GTO Owner

Question

What are the correct ohms? Most everything I see on SummitRacing.com is 0-90 ohms.

I can see this as a task worth doing when installing large wheel well tubs.

Quote:
I thought about this but fuel cells are just so easy and cheap. I can get a 16 gallon cell with all the right ports that I need plus a fuel sending unit in it that has the correct ohms for 225 bucks new from summit. Thats with the safety foam in it already too. They are super easy to mount too, just two bolts on each strap and you're done.

2006 Quicksilver 6-spd GTO LS2-402, Livernois (2.1/1.57/53cc) heads, 250/246 .631/.631 114+6 cam, 1.8 rockers, FAST 102, Meziere, 70lb Siemens, SLP Pulley, Walbro GSS340, GMM Ripshifter, B&G springs, Koni's, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, SPEC-twin, Spintech 3", Kooks 1 7/8", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, fiberglass hood, Harrop brakes, Nitto NT05 285-35-18, Mini-tubs, Old OCT 08 Dyno: 554rwhp/492rwtq, 17/26 MPG - E85.

Last edited by Gregory; 03-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #22
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory...View Post
What are the correct ohms? Most everything I see on SummitRacing.com is 0-90 ohms.

I can see this as a task worth doing when installing large wheel well tubs.

Stock is 250 ohms empty and 40 ohms full. Summit has several that are 240 empty and 33 full which will be close enough. I've heard you can get ohm resistors and put them in line with the sending unit wires to add some ohms to it but im just going to use it the way it is first and see how accurate it is.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Gregory
Speed Racer

2006 GTO Owner

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I would think you can add the resistors for this.

Both ATIFuelCells.com and FuelSafe.com have a wide range of tanks that should work.

I'm leaving for Afghanistan in about a week. I have an 8-point roll bar that will go in when I return. I can justify adding the fuel cell and larger wheel tubs if I can find the right combination of parts. Getting the correct fuel inlet tube will also be on the list.

If going with a drag style fuel tank sump it would simplify the fuel pump ordeal as only an external pump would be necessary.

I road race with Ethanol, so my bladder requirements are different.

Quote:
Stock is 250 ohms empty and 40 ohms full. Summit has several that are 240 empty and 33 full which will be close enough. I've heard you can get ohm resistors and put them in line with the sending unit wires to add some ohms to it but im just going to use it the way it is first and see how accurate it is.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
MTung

2004 GTO Owner

Has anyone tried to get a tank in the 'stock' aus position? Below the spare tire?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
reverendfrost

Well this will be my second tour in guam, so all of the road info i still remember. the only thing is i will now have to deal with the marines but i doubt they will be much trouble for me since i will be spending most of my time out to sea or workiing on my car.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
reverendfrost

OBTW where can i find info about the aussie tank under the spare tire? any sites or links?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
MTung

2004 GTO Owner

Not sure but I mean I kept hearing gm moved it from under the spare into the trunk to meet crash reg.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTung...View Post
Not sure but I mean I kept hearing gm moved it from under the spare into the trunk to meet crash reg.

Yeah but it was just fine where it was before. I mean have you heard a singel horror story of the aussie's burning up inside their cars because of the gas tanks? The US just has crazy government that loves to get there stupid hand on whatever they can to take their minds off making a budget.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
OBTW where can i find info about the aussie tank under the spare tire? any sites or links?

Yes but it takes a lot of money....probably closer to a grand just to get the tank here since it has to come from down under. Not worth it at all in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
n0b0dy1987

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory...View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I would think you can add the resistors for this.

Both ATIFuelCells.com and FuelSafe.com have a wide range of tanks that should work.

I'm leaving for Afghanistan in about a week. I have an 8-point roll bar that will go in when I return. I can justify adding the fuel cell and larger wheel tubs if I can find the right combination of parts. Getting the correct fuel inlet tube will also be on the list.

If going with a drag style fuel tank sump it would simplify the fuel pump ordeal as only an external pump would be necessary.

I road race with Ethanol, so my bladder requirements are different.

I've looked at those two brands but summit has fuel cells for much cheaper. I'm just gonna get a plastic one from summit with the fuel foam inside it and call it a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: