Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

***Borla dual in/out muffler***

Just curious if anyone has ever used this:

dual inlet/outlet muffler in a custom exhaust? Either for an 04 like Bassani does(muffler out back) or right after the H/X pipe with tails as need for the 04 or 05/06?

Seems interesting.

'Moe
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

One way to find out....try it.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I am actually going to be welding up a complete custom exhaust next Saturday. Going to be using the mufflers from MRTs Camaro SS/Mustang Interceptor system as heard here:
Camaro SS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCornVvWRAw

2011 GT Interceptor exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzjnDJOTOA

My plan is to weld flanges in where the mufflers are to accommodate swapping out mufflers in a quick fashion so I can try different mufflers if the need arises.

'Moe
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Gagtoe
Honey Badger

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I had a magnaflow 2 in 2 out with the built in xpipe put on my car. Really quieted down the idle, starting about 3k it sounds exotic.
On an internet forum, the written word is the sole means by which intelligence can be judged. If you butcher the language, particularly with ricer textspeak, you are, in my estimation, not worth engaging. If I can discourage you from being here, I will.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

At $183 just for the muffler from Borla its a bit pricey just for an experiment. BUT I may try this:
http://www.fullboarperformanceexhaus...less%2C/Detail

For MUCH cheaper and in full SS. This muffler is similar to Magnaflow and apparently in their heads up test outflowed the Magnaflow by just a bit.

'Moe
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
radu_rd2

2006 GTO Owner

I had a single in/out Borla Pro XS on an older car, it's pretty quiet and has a nice sound to it. If I ever get rid of the stock mufflers I would go with these.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

How much CFM does it flow? Pay attention to flow more so than shound...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

http://www.fullboarperformanceexhaus...oarlineup/Page

Under the Max Flow SS header. Outflows the same configured Magnaflow muffler by about 90+ CFM under the same condtions. For whatever that's worth.

'Moe
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
svede1212
Growing up is an option

2004 GTO Owner

GVHJ4N
Premium Member

My question would be where are you going to mount it? My singles of 14" long Borlas barely tuck up into the '04 location and I don't think you want it dragging under the car

"It's a well know fact that after you hit 400 HP you have to go with split dual exhaust like the LS2 GTOs. The '04s could get away
with single side because they were only 350 HP. With 400 HP and beyond the car wants to turn right at WOT from the thrust."
Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman715...View Post
http://www.fullboarperformanceexhaus...oarlineup/Page

Under the Max Flow SS header. Outflows the same configured Magnaflow muffler by about 90+ CFM under the same condtions. For whatever that's worth.

'Moe

Thats not worth much actually. 92 more CFM does not give you a total CFM of the muffler. They let you search for the competitors flow numbers then add 92 to it...

For passing all the engine exhaust flow through that one muffler it needs to flow enough or you are doing more harm than good.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

They did have the heads up comparison somewhere but can't locate the link. What I DO have is the youtube video of the comparison. Again for what that's worth to you. I feel like various engines, head/cam/intake combinations require different exhaust setups/flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPIt-eoT3w

I think the smallest they make is an 18" overall length. For the price its not awful. Its got an internal X as well so you MIGHT be able to use this in place of a traditional X pipe. X pipe, muffler/resonator all in one.

After some quick measuring my SLP X pipe is about 22" long from the flanges back so it may work in place of the X.

The MRT mufflers(which looks A LOT like the Vibrant quiet resonator) are 14 overall length with the body 9 3/4" long. Those should tuck up just fine.

I will say the stock 04 mufflers are possibly the smallest stock mufflers on any car I have ever seen. They are about 10" long and 3" deep and like 8" wide I think. Really small.

I'll post pictures throughout my install.

'Moe
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

Last I remember you should factor a muffler flow requirement of 2.2 CFM per HP you make. 350hp car needs a 770CFM (or more) capable muffler if using one, or two mufflers capable of flowing 385CFM (or more) each.

This is if you care about building an exhaust to benefit power rather than being a noise maker. There is a lot more that goes into building a beneficial exhaust like x or h placement pipe size etc. But if you just want sound then all you need to worry about is space available. If you want performance, google "zero loss exhaust systems".

It's most likely not the width and length that is the issue, its the height for ground/driveshaft clearance.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Definitely not building for sound. That's easy. I am modifying my SLP X pipe(that I repaired for a guy about 4 years ago and never picked it up) to sit up about 18" away from the collectors ala Svedes measurements. I am going with two rather quiet mufflers from MRT that should flow very well but not generate a lot of noise. Noise is not power...For a reference I picked up my goat in the middle of December 2012 with about 50K on it. Since then I have put on about 11K miles on it. This includes a 6 week work trip welding in Bermuda where NO ONE drove the car and 9 days of the car being in the body shop fixing where some clown backed into me at a stop light. So I drive way to much to deal with lots of noise and certainly can't stomach FM levels of drone.

Trying to build everything with performance in mind. Function over form so to speak.

'Moe
Old 06-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
smitty2919

2004 GTO Owner

Well thats good. Keep us posted, I always like to see custom exhaust builds.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Ironman715
Banned

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

See post #3 for pretty detailed videos of the mufflers I am using in my build.

Camaro SS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCornVvWRAw

2011 GT Interceptor exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzjnDJOTOA

My issue now is trying to find exhaust tips that are 2.5" in and a 3" out!!!

Am torn between these Borla intercooled tips
http://www.borla.com/products/25_inl...rt__20116.html

And these Cherry Bomb dual wall tips(look almost identical to what SLP uses on their 04 system)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-577551

'Moe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: