LS1GTO.com Forums - View Single Post - LS3 + LSA Blower Complete Build
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #3
LS3goatee
Repeat LS3 Swapper

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

(cont.)
I beat myself up everyday by not having the reluctor wheel swapped over to 24x, but really, it was such a pain getting in contact with Outlaw Race Engines, and when I did I was told 2-3 days blah blah (this went on for a month), that I just wanted my engine back. After some months go by and I start to prep for an LSA blower, I go through just about everything, suspension, cooling, braking via brembos etc., because like I said from the beginning, I knew it would be LSA swapped but it just took longer since I had to rebuild.

Anyway. First kind of budget minded move I made was buying a used Mishimoto oil cooler that was originally made for a 5th gen Camaro for 200 bucks, and a used Ron Davis radiator for 250. I live near PHX, and the summers are brutal so every bit helped.

Now, I did have to buy a 100 dollar Improved Racing adapter since the threads of the Camaro pan aren't the same as the GTO. To mount it (you'll see the pics later in this thread), I broke the mounts for the OE power steering cooler off and used it to mount the oil radiator near the passenger headlight.

I previously had a Howard's version of the ASA cam (226/236 .525"/.525" 110LSA), which had great torque that came strong early, but it was rowdy and loud. Starting it, it would chop til the house shook, and I know the neighbors grew tired, as did I, so I went with a much more reserved LS9 cam. Since the engine was just rebuilt, I went out and bought some dowel rods from Home Depot for a whopping 5 bucks (some sell kits for 80 bucks GTFOH), and changed the cam without removing the heads.

I have a GM plug that I had an option of getting a core blower for 600 bucks (have a backup now), but at the time, he was waiting for the 30 days to pass before he was allowed to buyback and sell, so I bought one that was rebuilt with solid isolator allegedly for 1400 bucks. I sold my front end accessories for 220, intake, cam, anything I wasn't going to use and made back 1140. I chose to use LSA accessories because the blower needs to be on its own drive, you can get away with one belt, but the blower 8 rib belt needs 160-240 ft. lbs., while the accessory drive belt only needs 90-125 - while I am running stock pullies for now (not power hungry, I just want a fun car) belt slip shouldn't be an issue but if I swapped pullies I feared belt slip *could* be an issue.

Along with using the LSA accessories, I also needed to change the wiring for the CTSV alternator. This was all cheap and I'll see why.

You can use a C6 corvette water pump instead of buying a LSA pump, it is THE SAME. It cost me 120 bucks new, while LSA pumps are closer to the 200 mark. I don't have P/S or A/C (no A/C yet, but good riddance to P/S) so I had to source a smaller belt, add a grooved idler, and of course rewire/add the CTSV 150AMP alternator.

Took me forever to find the wiring diagrams, but it is pretty simple to rig up. I'll spare the details unless someone asks.

(cont.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5544.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	491191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5846.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	491193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5847.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	491195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5902.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	491197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6475.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	491199  

Wealth of information creates poverty of the mind
LS3, LSA Blower, ZL1 lid, LS9 cam, Tick oil pump, Howards springs/pushrods, ARP goodies
Longtubes + Carven 3" exhaust, NW 92MM TB, Moroso catch can
Camaro SS Brembos F/R, 19" forged wheels, BMR skid plate, 05/06 rear bumper
Ron Davis radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, ECU relocation, Tick adj. MC, SAP lower + CF Splitter
Gforce axles, Harrop diff cover, Megan coilovers
Custom Mavman CF cowl hood AND dash bezel