MAF error with 2-bar SD tune - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
FSAE_Junkie

2006 GTO Owner

MAF error with 2-bar SD tune

The other day I came out of work to be greeted by a car that wouldnít start Ė wouldnít crank at all. After trying a few times, the car would start, but then would shut-off after about 2 seconds. This was interesting to me because it seemed I was getting symptoms that I usually associate with 2 different failures. Iíve generally read that a bad ECM will give you a no /crank start condition and that a VATS issue will give you the start with a shutdown soon after.

Hoping this was more of a VATS issue, I came back the next day with my 2nd key and HPtuners to try and disable VATS if need be. I was excited at first because the 2nd key worked right away. However, I noticed I now had a CEL. It turns out I had the dreaded P0601 (ECM internal checksum error) and a P0102 which is a MAF circuit low error. This was pretty perplexing to me because I have had a MAFless SD tune for many years now and never had a MAF related code. It was odd to me that this just decided to pop up at the same time as my starting difficulties.

Anyways, on the way home, the car went into limp mode, died and refused to crank. I then disabled VATS in the tune and tried a full ECU re-write. It was unfortunate I didnít try just a re-write first because the car started right up and has been fine every since (maybe 10 starts) and now I donít know if it was the VATS disable that helped or not.

Well now Iím left wondering what all this means. Was this a once in a few year glitch from a stray cosmic particle flipping a bit (ha) and it just needs a good re-write to fix it? Was the BCM/VATS actually causing any of my issues? Iím also struck wondering why I got a MAF circuit error on an SD tune Ė could this point to a short or something in the MAF harness? Though perhaps this is just a red herring and all logic just goes out the window when dealing with a potentially bad ECM?

I guess Iím just stuck because while now I donít have the code, I have no idea what the likelihood is that it is gone or that it will come back and leave me stranded at a very inopportune time next week. I donít really trust the car any distance from home and have only driven around my house.

Would any of you spend the $1k at this point to proactively replace it with another used ECM of the same age or just wait it out and risk getting stranded? Maybe tear apart the MAF harness and make sure the IAT breakout isnít messing with any MAF wires?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It could be a quirk in the OS. 2 bar requires a custom HPtuners OS, correct?
Old 07-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
FSAE_Junkie

2006 GTO Owner

Well Holy Sh!t. I thought the ecu error sounded sort of familiar. Turns out I had a P0601 5 years ago that i forgot about and even mentioned in a post.

https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=11

In that post, the car had sat for 2 years waiting for a new engine and after installing one, I had some starting difficulties because of a clutch switch problem. In the process of troubleshooting, I found I had a P0601 and had even called a shop about replacing the ECM. I do recall doing doing a re-write entire then as well as part of my troubleshooting and hadn't seen it since.

It would be okay I guess if this was just a once in 5 years type of thing that a full-rewrite can continue to fix. Though in reality, this will make me feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb that will leave me stranded at an inopportune time and thus I will just stop driving it, so it's not exactly ideal.

And yes, Nothubertjfarnsworth, the 2 bar OS is a custom HPtuners OS. Perhaps it has some quirks? I have always gotten a service vehicle soon light on every start that I just assumed was due to the OS since I have no codes.
GTO#2: 2005 Manual 4l80e - Forged LS2 - Ported 243's - F1A - E85

GTO #1: 2006 M6 - SOLD
Cam/LT's/Slicks
440 rwhp/407 rwtq
11.95 @ 115.1 - 1.68 60'

Old 07-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

i think there is a setting that allows the CEL to turn on with no code set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: