Why is my clearcoat peeling off out of nowhere? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
emg32

2004 GTO Owner

Why is my clearcoat peeling off out of nowhere?

The paint on my '04 has been great until about 2 weeks ago.

I keep the car as clean as possible and wax it several times a year but in the last 2 weeks the clearcoat has pretty much completely peeled off my gas lid, bubbled up out of nowhere and has now just flaked off, and now there are some spots on my rear trunk lid. WTF!!

Guess I'll just hope they can match the paint, if it doesn't cost more than a few hundred $$, or go black wrap on the gas lid if nothing else.

Not sure what to do. Try to keep a car and take care of it and the paint starts peeling for no reason.

Is GM this bad, after over 100 years in the car business, at painting vehicles?

I've heard of all the horror stories here and elsewhere of paint issues. Guess I've been pretty luck but still I am not happy with the way my GTO looks right now.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I have issues with peeling paint on my 04 on the rear bumper, but that's because it had a poor repaint after an accident with the previous owner.

All the same, these cars are 15 years old. If it's been kept out in the sun... well, i'm sure it's due to happen.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
Ls7GTO
LS9 FTW

Other Holden/HSV

Premium Member

What color? I've seen it multiple times with Torrid Red for some reason where the clear peels on the mirrors, gas door cap, plate insert and door handles (basically the plastic substrates).

You can get a good deal on a used paint matched gas door from Ebay.

Being hot gets you the 5.7, staying hot gets you the 6.0.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Unless your car is a garage queen and has been kept out of the elements it’s entire life, you’re being a bit unrealistic.

My 04 has sat outside it’s entire life, maintained exceptionally well, and have had to touch up the gas lid 4-5 times already, replaced the door handles with metal catera ones due to chipping, the clear on the stock spoiler cracked, and I’ve small areas here and there that are showing signs that the clear coat is beginning to fail.

No bitching from me whatsoever as it’s a 15 year old driver that’s been outside 24/7 since 2004. I already have a 2-3 year plan in the works to have the car stripped down and repainted as it’s just getting to be that time.

Now, if you have had a garage queen since day one, then yeah, you have a valid argument. My 05 has been kept in a garage for nearly its entire life as a summer toy. The paint is nearly flawless with no signs of any issues.
CGM | CCW SP550 | Pedders Xa | Kooks | Spintech | Ed Curtis Cam | FAST 92 | Duspeed | GMM | Street Slayer Clutch | Billet Prototypes | JHP Pod, Spoiler, Steering Wheel | GTOG8TA SAP Grilles | Cold Case
2004 M6 GTO
IBM | 05-06 Hood | Holden VZ 18's | Pedders | Lovells | 05-06 Calipers | Kooks | Spintech | Svede | Billet Prototypes | HSV Steering Wheel | WCS SAP Grilles | Mavman Spoiler | VX Tails | Mishimoto | Leatherseats Interior
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
badbar51501

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg32...View Post
The paint on my '04 has been great until about 2 weeks ago.

I keep the car as clean as possible and wax it several times a year but in the last 2 weeks the clearcoat has pretty much completely peeled off my gas lid, bubbled up out of nowhere and has now just flaked off, and now there are some spots on my rear trunk lid. WTF!!

Guess I'll just hope they can match the paint, if it doesn't cost more than a few hundred $$, or go black wrap on the gas lid if nothing else.

Not sure what to do. Try to keep a car and take care of it and the paint starts peeling for no reason.

Is GM this bad, after over 100 years in the car business, at painting vehicles?

I've heard of all the horror stories here and elsewhere of paint issues. Guess I've been pretty luck but still I am not happy with the way my GTO looks right now.

For a new paint job will cost you about $3000-$5000 to repaint. That sucks that happened

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
emg32

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks guys.

I was just ranting in the moment. The car is a driver and has been in all the elements since I bought it new in 2004. It's not and never will be a garage queen car, I like driving my vehicles.

I guess my rant was based more on how quickly the peeling happened out of nowhere. It was not a gradual thing. It went from great to peeling completely off within a week or 2. Just shocked me and aggravated me.

It is going on 16 years old though so I'm over reacting but still hate it.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

All i know is that i need a bigger garage
Old 07-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

My '95 Camaro did this on the spoiler. It was so frustating because it was the only place it occurred. I figured the flat trailing edge where all the rain runs off the back of the car, plus it being horizontal to the baking sun was a good part of the problem.

I endued up just buying a junkyard spoiler in the same color for cheaper than I could have it repainted.

In any case, good luck...
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #9
ATF

2006 GTO Owner

It's bound to happen, as others have stated. Just part of daily driving something without a garage. I wax my car once a month minimum except for a few months in the winter I just do a quick rinse and spray wax. I have had to paint my door handles, both mirrors, the trunk lid and I have touched up many other small areas that the clear started to go. You aren't alone and it really does suck, but it can be fixed!

My trunk last year:
1 7/8 ARH longtubes..stock catback..FAST 102..XAIR OTR CAI w/IAT relocated..linkbar lifters..Mishimoto Radiator..catch can..Monster Lvl 2 Single disc..OEM 3.91 gears w/TrueTrac..Anti-Hop axle..1pc driveshaft..DBA brakes..GMM RipShift..Hotchkis Swaybars..Pedders Drag Springs..Drag Bags..GSR Shocks..Lovells springs w/Monroe struts..many bushings replaced.. Russell brake/fuel lines..lot's of other stuff..tuned @ CSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: