Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Forced Induction

Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Best vendor for a Maggie

I have a bonus from work coming next month and I'm again considering blowing the GTO. I know, this one is better than that one, blah, blah, blah, but if I do this I want a Maggie. From poking around it looks like the price is pretty much the same regardless, but can anyone recommend one vendor over another? If no one stands out, I'd probably buy it through Summit just because their general customer service is great. But if anyone can recommend a vendor who can give some support after the sale that is outstanding I'd like to hear about it. I'd kind of like to be able to chose a specific drive pulley size so anyone who could work with me on something like that would be a bonus.

2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 HFP
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
Rich's 1965 Chevelle Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
Bob's 1964 GTO Project Page
Rich's Brazen Orange 2006 Pontiac GTO
Rich C.
"I would rather appreciate what I cannot have than have what I cannot appreciate."
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Touch base with Kollar to see if he can source them for ya. We all know his level of support...
CGM | CCW SP550 | Pedders Xa | Kooks | Spintech | Ed Curtis Cam | FAST 92 | Duspeed | GMM | Street Slayer Clutch | Billet Prototypes | JHP Pod, Spoiler, Steering Wheel | GTOG8TA SAP Grilles | Cold Case
2004 M6 GTO
IBM | 05-06 Hood | Holden VZ 18's | Pedders | Lovells | 05-06 Calipers | Kooks | Spintech | Svede | Billet Prototypes | HSV Steering Wheel | WCS SAP Grilles | Mavman Spoiler | VX Tails | Mishimoto | Leatherseats Interior
Old 05-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #3
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Touch base with Kollar to see if he can source them for ya. We all know his level of support...

Now there's a happy thought!

Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
mlformula95

2006 GTO Owner

Have you considered going the LSA route?
Hard to beat factory dependability.

Just a suggestion.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
Logan71

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlformula95...View Post

Just a suggestion.

4 out of 5 dentists say your hood won't close with an LSA.

I found myself looking procharger prices the other night, just because an LSA is off the list...and man, they're not cheap.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Supposedly if you go LS3/square port heads it doesn't hit the hood.

Jump to 3:25
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #7
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

Just a suggestion.

Well, and doesn't Eaton make the LSA blowers? Same as the Magnusons, the blower itself is made by Eaton.

And yeah, I'd like to be able to close my hood.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Sacrifice

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower...View Post
Quote:

Just a suggestion.

Well, and doesn't Eaton make the LSA blowers? Same as the Magnusons, the blower itself is made by Eaton.

And yeah, I'd like to be able to close my hood.

Eaton makes every twin screw blower as far as i know.

LSA definitely has potential and its not jack shaft driven so thats a plus. But it requires a custom pulley or swapping accessories.

The TVS2300 is bolt on and should have a higher number potential. Id rock either personally. Could go mavman cowl hood and clear either anyways (i think the hood looks great).

Ill be one jealous fool if you follow through
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Affording the blower kit and the required tune is enough of a stretch for me dollars-wise, so getting into the long block or body mods just aren't in the picture (wouldn't want a cowl hood anyway, but that's just me).

How much additional weight would I be adding to the front, about 90 pounds?

I'd be able to make a few little bucks back by selling my ported intake manifold and Predator tuner I guess. Not sure if I'd have to muck with my DuSpeed or get a different version or some other intake entirely. I'd have to find a way to alter my strut tower brace to work with the blower, I'm sure it could be done with a little creative cutting and welding.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Russky

Premium Member

You need to embrace hood hole
Old 05-23-2019, 05:22 AM   #11
The Black Mongoose
donde esta la biblioteca

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

im in the same boat, but I didn't know about the LSA blower. I like Idea and in that video they talk about the kit. I check it out and if you don't want to cut the hood, it still comes out to be about the same price after buying heads, maybe saves about a grand (just doing some quick math and not extensively searching) which means that extra grand could go toward a cam. which is a big selling point for me. it doesn't say anything about sending in the ecu for a tune. so I'm assuming they would just do it at the shop on HP.

and 550 with heads is plenty good for me, but he 600 with heads and cam sounds a lot better

but it messes with the handling, I'm all about the handling on this car
bassani cat back
ripstick
lingenfelter intake
BMR drag Bags (removed)
BC Coilovers

2006 M6 Phantom Black (Mongoose 2.0)
Kooks LT headers
Kooks off-road cat less mid pipes
Bassani exhaust
rip shift
AEM intake
QTP remote cutouts
Hinson motor mounts and trans mount
hp tune
NGage dash mount
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #12
Steel Chicken
Cthulhu's IT D1r3ktФя

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Mongoose...View Post

but it messes with the handling, I'm all about the handling on this car

Get lower engine mounts(for hood clearance) and lift the front end a bit so the weight balance goes more to the rear tires. Car will still handle fine.

Quote:
Justice is swift and unfair in the eyes of those who don't know shit. - tmiller

Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post

Quote:
Now there's a happy thought!

I checked with Andy, he said he doesn't have a source for Magnuson.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
milkey57

2006 GTO Owner

If I am not mistaken the guy who makes the LSA kits for the GTO is a dealer for maggies too. Saw on FB that they are working on a TVS 2650 kit...

06 SRM M6... Prc heads, btr cam 227/234, ported fast 102, x-air, kooks 1 7/8, lt-1 clutch, dss 1 piece shaft, peddders stuff and lots of poly underneath.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

So, per earlier comments I was looking into the LSA blower kit (didn't really know it was an option). I am now wondering if an LS3 head swap now would be a good interim step toward getting a blower in the future. With the expected coming bonus $$$, and without also dipping into savings, I could get LS3 heads and a FAST 102 intake to match.

Any idea what that might get me, with the proper tune of course, on a stock short block? My stock TB is already ported. I'd probably hold out for the Vengeance Racing's free porting deal on the FAST intake.

If I got assembled GM heads what all else would I have to change? Rockers? Pushrods? I wouldn't need to upgrade the injectors just for a head swap would I? What size cc heads would I want to maintain the compression? I'd want new head bolts of course.

I was thinking of sticking with all new components, was looking at these heads:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12675871
Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #16
Kfxguy

Quote:
So, per earlier comments I was looking into the LSA blower kit (didn't really know it was an option). I am now wondering if an LS3 head swap now would be a good interim step toward getting a blower in the future. With the expected coming bonus $$$, and without also dipping into savings, I could get LS3 heads and a FAST 102 intake to match.

Any idea what that might get me, with the proper tune of course, on a stock short block? My stock TB is already ported. I'd probably hold out for the Vengeance Racing's free porting deal on the FAST intake.

If I got assembled GM heads what all else would I have to change? Rockers? Pushrods? I wouldn't need to upgrade the injectors just for a head swap would I? What size cc heads would I want to maintain the compression? I'd want new head bolts of course.

Like in your other thread, dont waste your money on a fast intake. The LSA blower becomes your intake manifold. Just collect parts and do the head swap and blower at the same time. You'll save time and money.

with that being said. Turbo FTW. Not being able to adjust or control boost with out a pulley swap, and belt slippage problems just seem like that life kinda sucks.
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
Build thread https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837586
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Sacrifice

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
Quote:

Like in your other thread, dont waste your money on a fast intake. The LSA blower becomes your intake manifold. Just collect parts and do the head swap and blower at the same time. You'll save time and money.

with that being said. Turbo FTW. Not being able to adjust or control boost with out a pulley swap, and belt slippage problems just seem like that life kinda sucks.

Having had a turbo car, turbo problems suck too. Making sure there arent boost leaks in the piping, making sure the turbo doesnt loosen on the manifold, making sure not to shut it off right away after a hard run, oil changes more often typically. Tons of stuff when compared to a twin screw imo.

But what he said. Dont waste money on an intake. Just stockpile until youre ready. I wouldnt even swa heads until youre ready for the blower.

Last edited by Sacrifice; 05-27-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrifice...View Post
Having had a turbo car, turbo problems suck too. Making sure there arent boost leaks in the piping, making sure the turbo doesnt loosen on the manifold, making sure not to shut it off right away after a hard run, oil changes more often typically. Tons of stuff when compared to a twin screw imo.

But what he said. Dont waste money on an intake. Just stockpile until youre ready. I wouldnt even swa heads until youre ready for the blower.

yea turbos can have problems too. So can naturally asspirated. And i've had my share of problems, but just being able to dial in my boost to where i can floor the car, on regular 245 radial tires and it spin a couple feet and my boost controller regulate the boost to put down just enough power to where it wont break traction and ramp it in harder the faster I go.......makes any boost leak i may ever encounter.....all worth it. Knowing I can turn my power up at the press of a button, or if i need even more, the turn of my wastegate screw....just trumps it all.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 05-27-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
mlformula95

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
yea turbos can have problems too. So can naturally asspirated. And i've had my share of problems, but just being able to dial in my boost to where i can floor the car, on regular 245 radial tires and it spin a couple feet <snipped some stuff>.... Knowing I can turn my power up at the press of a button, or if i need even more, the turn of my wastegate screw....just trumps it all.

245s on a stock powered GTO is, IMHO, the reason so many are in the yards already. Totally agree on the last statement but for someone with no bottom end money, that might not be the greatest tool in the box....
Old 05-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #20
marovetsm

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Depending on your power level goals waiting for a used maggie to pop up is another option. I say that because MP's can be had for $3k or less, and TVS's for $3500-5k. And if you plan on doing your own fuel system, heat exchanger setup, or changing pulleys for more than stock power anyways you would just be discarding that from the new kit. I bought my 112 used with 20k on it and beat the snot out of it for 5 years without touching a thing with the tune or physical parts. Had it ported over the winter and they said there was nothing wrong inside when they tore it apart. I even had it powder coated wrinkle black and it is 100% brand new now. And I almost bought a 1900 and actually I just found a used 2300 last week so Ill be upgrading. (my 112 is already spoken for). I know some people don't like the thought of used but it can be a great option for some people. Plus you can still mod/rebuild/powder coat to better than new to your custom specs for less than a new kit.

2006 SRM M6 - TVS 2300, E85, Numbers coming soon.
Dyno video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ha5A7vuolk
2004 Joe Gibbs Silverado RCSB - MP112, E85, T56, 470hp/465tq - Sold
Bezel pod How To
https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showth...690&highlight=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: