Got my Wrecked GOAT Back - Spoilerless - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
sandiegan

2004 GTO Owner

Got my Wrecked GOAT Back - Spoilerless

TLDR: Car got rear ended, did seemingly minimal damaged, total came out to $7k to other party’s insurance. Pics at bottom.

I don’t drive very much these days, getting around LA mostly on my bicycle, but on the one day I drove somewhere, I got rear ended in bumper to bumper on the I-10 by a Kia Rio driven by a twenty something Russian girl who’d been driving in the USA for 3 years. Lucky for me her insurance was not expired (it expired 3 days after the accident). The bike rack did a number on the trunk, spoiler, and bumper. And, the bike rack was toast.

So, took it to a few area body shops. Estimates came in between $4k and $5500. Took it to Progressive, and they did an estimate for $1800. *sad trumpet* If they had given me $4k, I would have taken the money, sold the car for what it was, broken even, and called it a day. But, Progressive decided to be cheap with their estimate. So, I took the car to get it fixed properly.

If you need to get your car fixed in Los Angeles, this place did a really great job: http://www.yelp.com/biz/c-and-c-collision-alhambra . No orange peel, the paint work is amazing. Had a couple little niggles with latches and fuel doors, but got it mostly sorted out now. Progressive initially cut a supplemental check to the bodyshop for $2200, bringing the total up to $4k. The body shop had to remove the rear glass, replace seals, remove rear seats, repaint both quarter panels, used trunk lid, remanufactured bumper, and I ordered a new bike rack. Here’s what the final total came up to:

In addition, I rented a car for 36 days (a MKVI Jetta 2.5SE and a Chrysler 200, the former of which was tolerable but plagued with electrical and TPMS issues, and the latter of which was all around horrendous). That was close to $1k as well.

So, for $8k, my car looks better than it did before (no spoiler!). Progressive could have saved half of it if they hadn’t been so stingy. Their managed care representative was great, though, and everything was handled professionally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
elephantrider
pea on mea

2004 GTO Owner

cant beat being boomerang-less.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Kingsize
Will Admin for coffee.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Looks sharp!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
DEX

2005 GTO Owner

Nice. But I still cant figure out why people dont like the original spoiler?..Maybe someone can help me out on this one?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Doric

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEX...View Post
Nice. But I still cant figure out why people dont like the original spoiler?..Maybe someone can help me out on this one?

Because it looks like a bucket of dicks.

2013 60th Anniversary Corvette Grand Sport | 2015 BMW M4 | 2011 Infiniti G37 IPL
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Midnight
WTF do you want?

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEX...View Post

Because it's a ricer-inspired wing and not a spoiler per se.

Winning isn't everything. Watching you lose is.

2005: SAP grilles, M6, Factory 18s - 1 of 114
Mods: 18x8.5 Beyern 5s, DBA Standard Series Slotted and Drilled Rotors/Hawk HP Plus Pads, JHP Gauge Pod, Holden Bluetooth & Door Lock, Afterthoughts Auto stainless steel lettering kit, CAGS delete, Gas-Cap Velcro, BMR Color-Matched Strut Tower Brace
345.72-hp & 351.13-ft/lbs... BONE STOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagToe...View Post
Go cry lowjo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm...View Post
Sometimes you need to tell a person they suck at the life.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
johnwins
SSgt @ USAF Hunger Games2K14

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric...View Post

X2

2015 Black Pearl GTI, Al Borland Seats, DSG, Stock = Wife's car.

2006 PBM GTO, M6, Heads/Cam/Maggie M122, Kooks, Meziere EWP, NW 102 TB, GForce CF DS, Stubs, axles, Harrop, MGW-P, 285 NT05s, Pedders drag pack, BC coilovers up front, more stuff. 72K miles

1995 Black Corvette, LT1, 6 Speed, ZR-1 A molds, SLP Claw intake, & some catback, needs to be lowered, 58K miles.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
SpiceGto

That sucks you had to pay that much out of pocket, looks great tho, now you dont have to drive around with a bucket of dicks on your trunk
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Kingsize
Will Admin for coffee.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGto...View Post
That sucks you had to pay that much out of pocket, looks great tho, now you dont have to drive around with a bucket of dicks on your trunk

Not sure how you got that information out of what he wrote, but Progressive paid the entire bill.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

looks awesome now.

“Others have caught on, but they haven't caught up." ...1968 GTO ad
Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
SpiceGto

the description was confusing to me, my bad. So you didn't have to pay out of pocket?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
Shawshank
Cyclone Gray Moneypit

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
the description was confusing to me, my bad. So you didn't have to pay out of pocket?

Customer Responsibility - $0.00...
Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
scphilli
950 psi

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric...View Post

a 5-gallon bucket!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
gotjuice78
Neighborhood Vandalizer

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:

From the looks of that avatar I'd chill out.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Ross
Got Zydrate?

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawshank...View Post
Customer Responsibility - $0.00...

It should be $0 to repair back to OEM specs.

Since OEM is with a "bucket of dicks" spoiler, material and labor to weld in and smooth the filled holes should have been at the car owner's cost - not the insurance company's.

The path to heaven is a foot wide and full people helping each other stay on the path.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
2006CycloneGray

2006 GTO Owner

Even though a purist, I absolutely love these cars without the spoiler...Even though I traded mine last year, my fiancee still has hers, and I often wonder if she'd have an issue if I just took hers off, for kicks...I think the first time I saw a Monaro without one I wondered why in the world Pontiac decided to put one on these cars for sale in the US. Looks like a European sports coupe without it and with it, it looks a bit like it's trying too hard...Someone once said to me it looks like a shopping cart handle on the back...I think at the time in 03-04, perhaps they though it needed to compete with the Mustang GT which had many versions of the spoiler (just a guess)...

That said, it was the best car I've ever owned, by far--traded a year old C6 convertible for it and enjoyed every minute of it.

Last edited by 2006CycloneGray; 01-25-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
xviperx26

2004 GTO Owner

Looks awesome! is that the factory 04 exhaust? I have never seen one

2004 YJ Procharged M6 - 47K miles
580/540 RW Dr. Phil SD
Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006CycloneGray...View Post
Even though a purist, I absolutely love these cars without the spoiler...Even though I traded mine last year, my fiancee still has hers, and I often wonder if she'd have an issue if I just took hers off, for kicks...I think the first time I saw a Monaro without one I wondered why in the world Pontiac decided to put one on these cars for sale in the US. Looks like a European sports coupe without it and with it, it looks a bit like it's trying too hard...Someone once said to me it looks like a shopping cart handle on the back...I think at the time in 03-04, perhaps they though it needed to compete with the Mustang GT which had many versions of the spoiler (just a guess)...

That said, it was the best car I've ever owned, by far--traded a year old C6 convertible for it and enjoyed every minute of it.

great post. yes, the masterminds at GM gave us the boomerang appendage and took away the digital HVAC. makes no sense to me. however, far more important, I am just glad they brought it over here.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #19
tripower
Twin Goats...40 yrs apart!!

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross...View Post
It should be $0 to repair back to OEM specs.

Since OEM is with a "bucket of dicks" spoiler, material and labor to weld in and smooth the filled holes should have been at the car owner's cost - not the insurance company's.

Based on GTO parts costs it may have been cheaper for the insurance company to weld the holes than replace the spoiler. The deck lid was getting replaced/painted anyway. The OP may have actually done them a favor and saved them money. Maybe he should have been paid by them for the spoiler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech912...View Post
great post. yes, the masterminds at GM gave us the boomerang appendage and took away the digital HVAC. makes no sense to me. however, far more important, I am just glad they brought it over here.

...And two third brake lights too! That's what made the spoiiler seem so cheesy and "add on" like a dealer installed option. Every other car I owned with an OEM spoiler had the HMSL mounted in the spoiler and not an extra in the rear window. Nice thing is when you ditch the stock spoiler you still have the third liht.
1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (Tripower!), M4, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - CGM, M6 - 19" VMR V803s; Chrome lug nuts; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Spoiler; JBA shorties; Tuned by Advanced Dyno; GMM Street
2009 G8 GT - Maverick Silver, A6 - Red/Onyx interior - Chrome lugs, VG sharkfin

GTO: "A device for shrinking Time and Distance..."
Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
BADGOAT BTR
2006 GTO BOM - 1 of 171

2006 GTO Owner

Looks great "sandiegan"

2018 GTI AUTOBAHN - NIGHT BLUE
1k miles

1992 CORVETTE - POLO GREEN II COUPE
44k miles, plate: VET 350

daily driver:
2010 Nissan Rogue AWD
Old 01-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #21
sandiegan

2004 GTO Owner

Thanks for the comments guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower...View Post
Based on GTO parts costs it may have been cheaper for the insurance company to weld the holes than replace the spoiler. The deck lid was getting replaced/painted anyway. The OP may have actually done them a favor and saved them money. Maybe he should have been paid by them for the spoiler...

They already had to weld imperfections in a used GTO trunk from the salvage yard. It is not possible to get new ones and they said they almost always have to do bodywork on the used lids for whatever imperfections they have from the yard. They couldn't find a decent bumper so had to send my existing rear bumper out to get remanufactured. And to your point, returning the car to OEM specs would have included the cost of the spoiler and the paint, I imagine this cost less than that would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviperx26...View Post
Looks awesome! is that the factory 04 exhaust? I have never seen one

It is an all stock car, save for the trailer hitch. California smog is a *&&#[email protected]^[email protected]&^. I am boring
Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Mtarr07

Question for you OP... does it get branded with a salvage title now?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #23
sandiegan

2004 GTO Owner

No, still clean title. Not a total. Salvage title occurs when the insurance company totals out the car, then someone opts to fix it.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #24
sandiegan

2004 GTO Owner

I am unable to post in the classifieds section due to the rather silly 100 post requirement despite my having been on this forum seven years

If anyone wants to pick this bent hitch up for FREE in LA area, it is yours. It got bent down, and the bike rack was dragging on the ground on steep curves, so it had to go. I am supposing it could be bent back if you had the knowledge/tools to do it. Old one pictures on left:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: