Check your body control module (BCM) wires, everybody. - Page 11 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 06-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #301
blk88verde

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to blk88verde
So decided to check my BCM harness, did not see any issue, but was definitely up against the sharp edge of the bracket. Glove box came out perfectly, no broken clips. Had some split loom from Home Depot and a zip tie. Took maybe a half hour, took longer to filter through the crap in my glove box. So now have no worries about the BCM Harness and a nice organized/clean glove box.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #302
Ronin Concealment

2006 GTO Owner

This is a great forum!!! Today I looked at the harness on my 15,450 mile 06, and sure enough the harness was starting to rub through, so me being a guy that does custom Kydex holsters I figured I would make a shield for my harness out of . 080 Kydex
Here's what I came up with

Last edited by Ronin Concealment; 02-06-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #303
GreenGoatFan

Electrical Fault with Instrument Panel, Radio and AC

I've been having some problems with the instrument panel on my '05 GTO - when driving it seems to lose power so all the dials drop to zero and the lights go out (on panel only) and the car beeps that there's an ABS / brake / TCS problem, even though it's all working fine. Radio and backlight also go out. Sometimes it'll go away if I brake, other times not.

I checked the BCM - there were a few wires that have been cut through the outer layer, but the actual wire was fine. I've taped them up and insulated, but the fault hasn't gone away.

Looking at the owners manual it seems to me that the wires needing taping were I/P and radio related so I thought that should fix it. But it doesn't.

Found a new development - the problem only occurs if I switch the A/C off. If AC is on - no problem. No alerts or anything. All is clear. If I turn AC off the problem returns.

I'm guessing there has to be short somewhere when the AC switch is off that is causing the fault, but I'm no electrical expert (not 100% sure I'm reading the diagrams correctly) and reading the diagrams makes my eyes go a little queasy!

Any ideas where the fault might be?

Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #304
ModernMuscle
First day in GTO: 65 in a 45

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

So, last year my BCM fuse blew during an autocross event. I didn’t think much of it. Just replaced the fuse and didn’t have an issue for a long while. Recently, however, the GTO has been in the garage for several weeks at a time. Every time I tried to fire it up, the BCM fuse blew and I had to replace it to get the engine to turn over. The typical “fuel gauge error” and “service error – contact dealer” warnings came up. The battery was also weak, indicating some kind of excess power draw.

Yesterday, for the first time – the BCM fuse would immediately blow as soon as I’d put in a new one. A big blue spark would occur when the new fuse was inserted! Thankfully, I was using needle-nosed pliers.

Of course, I read thru this thread and began inspecting the BCM harness (behind the glove box frame). Upon my first inspection, there didn’t appear to be a problem. The black felt covering was rubbed a little, but didn’t seem to be down into the wires. Then, I carefully cut away the black covering with scissors and a SINGLE WIRE was worn to the metal. One orange wire was shorting against the glove box frame and popping a 15 amp fuse with ease… uuughhh.

Therefore, some of you who said “mine looks fine” may want to take a second look! By the way, my car is a 2006 and has about 90K miles. I patched up the wire with electric tape, and placed a 3 inch section of flexible hose with zip ties to avoid the issue going forward.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #305
87LC2
1LE

Other Holden/HSV

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMuscle...View Post

Yesterday, for the first time – the BCM fuse would immediately blow as soon as I’d put in a new one. A big blue spark would occur when the new fuse was inserted! Thankfully, I was using needle-nosed pliers.

You are lucky.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #306
morrison2951
2005 Pontiac GTO CGM A4

2005 GTO Owner

Reading through this thread, I now recall that when I purchased the CGM from the dealer that the glove box was broken.... hmmm.

Sounds like the dealer was aware of the BCM issue and wrapped the BCM before the sale.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #307
MoonShiner
Orphan Car Owner

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrison2951...View Post
Reading through this thread, I now recall that when I purchased the CGM from the dealer that the glove box was broken.... hmmm.

Sounds like the dealer was aware of the BCM issue and wrapped the BCM before the sale.

That's hilarious... A dealer knowing anything about a GTO.

Pedders Bits:
Struts | Springs | Shocks | Various bushes Holden Stuff: Bluetooth | Side repeaters | Rear insert | VZ wheels | Guage pod | Commodore window/line-lock switch Other Stuff: Kooks SS w/cats | Lingenfelter CAI | Magnaflow catback | dba rotors | Harrop Cover |GF Stubs and Shafts | GMM Ripshifter with Hurst handle | Williams Tune

RWHP: 371.66 RWTQ: 369.92 PB 1/4 Mile: 12.312 @ 111.96
Old 03-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #308
tachin_up2004

2004 GTO Owner

Hello, at the risk of resurrecting the thread, my BCM has apparently been whacked out for some time (a year?). At first "abs" and "fuel gauge error" and contact dealer.. then my A/C stopped coming on. No fuel gauge or temp gauge either. The BCM wires were found cut from the metal glove box bracket, but not to the wire. There was electrical tape around two wires.

Over the last several weeks I've had overheating issues. Replaced radiator that was cracked, thermostat, several busted hoses and clamps, busted hvac valve bypassed, pressure cap and cracked reservoir tank. Still overheating. So I finally took it to dealer and they say the low speed fans aren't kicking on. PROBABLY DUE TO BCM! Does this sound like the likely cause of my coolant system problems?

They said they can order the BCM tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #309
11chuck

2006 GTO Owner

Something really interesting has happened with my GTO that I think should be brought to attention, as maybe some other people experience the same.

After 125k miles, I finally got some symptoms which I'm pretty sure are BCM related. Fuel gauge stops working, airbag light, traction control turns off, etc., after the car heats up.

Of course the wiring was the first thing I checked when I bought the car, and I checked them again and re-wrapped them after this started happening, so that can't be it.

Here's where it gets silly. If I plug in my Diablosport Trinity (into OBD2 port), everything goes back to working normal. If it's already plugged in while I'm driving, it doesn't even happen. When I plug in a cheap scanner after the errors pop up though, it doesn't correct them.

So at this point, I'm thinking it could be some sort of over-voltage issue or something of that nature (Not good when it comes to electrical stuff), and that the Trinity pulls enough power to actually correct the issue.

Any ideas as to why that may be?
Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 AM   #310
Weldlife

Wow seems like goat got some major electrical defects.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #311
Firebird67
5800ft Sucks Wind - Literally

2004 GTO Owner

Was getting the ABS fault error and the fuel gauge going dead... This fixed it...
Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performing Pontiacs
http://schultzshotrodshop.com/wp-con...ontramair1.jpg
Old 08-20-2016, 05:06 AM   #312
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldlife...View Post
Wow seems like goat got some major electrical defects.

I haven't had any issues, ever. preemptive friction-taping.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #313
Hugoat

Dash Rail in the way...

I found this thread because I just now ran into this problem. Great find by the way, I confirmed it was my issue by shaking the BCM harness while engine was running, My dash alarm wouldn't shut up with all the system fails that were happening. ANYWAY... I need to get access to the inside of the harness. I believe I have two, or more, wires now touching each other inside the bundle thanks to this. I can't figure out how to get that bracket/rail out of there so I can work on the harness. I removed all the screws that were on the forward side where the glove box door meets up to the flange...
Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #314
purple haze

2004 GTO Owner

Saw this thread & thought 1) Good Idea to check! and 2) perhaps has something to do w/mysterious S V S message I can't get rid of? <see P0101 thread>
Pulled glove box out, post on how to do that was pretty good, tho I would not pull clip off of right side. Takes a bit to squeeze it enuf to get the pin out of the left side.
64K mi and no chafing noted, which surprised me because I could see where that bracket could do a number on that harness over the years. Did add some tape and then a bit of old bike tube zip tied around it
As was pointed out in this thread - Never a bad idea to preemptive tape. See thread on fuel line rub thru by 04 coil cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bcm after tubing.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	478257  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #315
Ironhand

2005 GTO Owner

Me Too!

Checked my BCM harness last week after reading this thread. 3 wires down to copper. Tape + heater hose. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #316
1SlowHoe
WEEEEEEE

2006 GTO Owner

I have a thread with an AC issue going in electronics but since I saw this thread I thought I'd add my pics for future reference. My BCM wiring was in BAD shape. I just got the car a few months ago and the AC never worked. Tracked it down to burned through wiring at the BCM. 16-pin connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM 1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	485897   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM 2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	485905   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCM 3.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	485913  

2006 BOM
Mods: New trunk supports, new hood supports, Amazon radio trim piece for my Alpine deck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJ8HSB8jyo (Sold)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #317
LongRifles
Premium Member

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

First, thanks for this. Owned my 04 since 2005 and while I knew about this, never paid it much attention till I ran across this post.

Just fixed mine. An old radiator hose got reborn. One thing I noticed while crawling my fat ass under there is that the harness takes a sharp transition out of a heavy gauge piece of hard plastic sheathing. It's up and right from the BCU. The cutout portion of the sheathing has an edge. Not sure if it would ever rub through the wires, but why chance it?

I solved it just by taking some channel locks and bending the plastic away from the wires so that it presents it with more room and a generous radius feature to lay up against.

Good luck to all, thanks again.

C.

04 with a whole lot a motah!

https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4594
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #318
wyo04gto

2004 GTO Owner

refresher course for new members

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantown...View Post
https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showth...lovebox+remove I found this on how to remove it unless anyone has any better input.

with the compartment door fully open, pull out on the bottoms of the rubber clips on each side. do not pull the clips out yet.
next close the door half way and slide the clips downward until they stop at the bottom of the slot, then pull straight in to remove. mine are different so take note of which clip goes on each side.
next grip the box half way down on each side and gently pull the right side straight out until you feel it disengage. then manipulate it to the right and the left side post will come out of the mounting hole.
to reinstall, reverse this process.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #319
Stuman

I've been having trouble with getting ABS warning, SRS warning, radio stops, instruments go dead and so on, intermittent when it started to about every few minutes recently. I pulled the dash and on saw only minor rubbing on the harness but put a piece of slit heater hose around the harness and tie wrapped on. The car did good for a day and a half and then started doing the same thing. Researching in this forum I ran across the computer repair company G7. I pulled my BCM and mailed it to them yesterday. I'm hoping that I'm one of the ones whose BCM actually went bad. I will post again next week when I should have it back. Sure hate not being able to drive my GTO...
Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #320
Stuman

I got an email from G7 computer repair yesterday. There was a hardware failure in my BCM. They said it was probably from a short and to inspect the wiring carefully as it could cause the same thing again. When I checked the harness behind the dash there was one place rubbed on it, not nearly as bad as I have seen pics posted of but I did cover the harness. I should receive the BCM on Monday. I am working nights this till Tuesday morning and will reinstall the BCM Tuesday or Wed. when I'm off. Keeping my fingers crossed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: