325/45/17 NO TUB - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Wheels/Tires

Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

So as the title shows I may be getting a set of 325/45/17 drag radial and 17x10 or 11 weld s71 wheels from a friend. I am now trying to think what I can do to tuck them in a bit because as nuts as this sounds it doesn't hit anything as of yet except the quarter a little bit. Maybe an inch of tire sticks out. The only mods I have to my suspension in the back for tire fitment is a mild rolled quarter panel lip.

I am thinking I can have the rim mounting surface milled slightly (plenty of material) to get them in a bit and under the quarters which means I would have to grind partially the seam on the rear control arm to prevent rubbing (which at the moment it doesn't) and for the inner wheel well I am thinking I can massage/stretch the metal a little because at the moment it clears but when I mill the rim to change the offset it is definitely a going to hit a bit. Anyway I am thinking I can do this without tubbing the rear or relocating shocks/coils.... I guess time will tell and if anyone has suggestions let me know!

Here is a photo of the rim mounted as is and sitting on the ground I would kill to have this much tire under there. Although I may be able to to go to a 305/45/17 drag radial and clear I think I should at least try to fit this first! Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190403_160155_1554414158613.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	492053  

Last edited by YellowJacketLS3; 04-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

Nice, do you have any pictures from back of car.

Engine Mods: Livernois Stage III LS6 heads/cam | Cam - [email protected], Lift .568", LSA 114
Fast LSXr 102mm | LPE 100MM MAF | 105MM Accufab TB
SvedeSpeed OTRCAI | JBA Shorty Headers | JBA Mids w/cats | JBA Split Catback

Appearance: Banshee Hood | Banshee Dual Exhaust Inserts | DBA Slotted Rotors
Ace Alloy AFF02 Black Chrome, 19" staggered setup.

Drivetrain : | DSS CF Driveshaft | Gforce Half Shafts | Inner Axle Stubs
3200 Vigilante Single Disc

Old 04-05-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto57...View Post
Nice, do you have any pictures from back of car.

I have one but the photo makes the wheel look like it sticks out more than it actually does but again this will change when I change the offset of the rim. That is also with my 275/40/17 on the other side. I can probably suck it in more with a 305/45/17 but regardless my end goal is I want the tire tucked nicely under the quarters. I'm not one for tire sticking out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190403_160344_1554464703349.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	492059  

Last edited by YellowJacketLS3; 04-05-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:50 AM   #4
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

Nice, those look so wide. I am running 275's in rear now with 52mm offeset.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Nice, those look so wide. I am running 275's in rear now with 52mm offeset.

it's funny when I put my 275's on, I thought they were huge until I bolted this on. I'm running the 275/40/17 Nitto NT555G2's and j really love them for daily use but they don't have nearly enough traction and I'm only putting down 450 to the tire
Old 04-05-2019, 04:31 AM   #6
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

I am running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S all around, they are very sticky even from launch and I am right around 450 to wheels as well. I also have 3200 stall and once rolling I get zero wheel spin. They will spin from a dead stop if tire is not warm.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #7
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
I am running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S all around, they are very sticky even from launch and I am right around 450 to wheels as well. I also have 3200 stall and once rolling I get zero wheel spin. They will spin from a dead stop if tire is not warm.

I will have to look into them, because I really do like my Nittos but as far as launching the car it's not great on the street but at the drag strip they were great haha. Not to mention when I finally go H/C it's just going to get worse
Old 04-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

i think you'll just start hitting on the inside once you try fixing it hitting on the outside.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 AM   #9
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

Yes, it is best tire I have ever had on a car. I only drive my GTO in summer and on nice days, never really sees rain.

I have ported LS6 heads, cam, Fast102lsrx, TB, MAF, one piece carbon fiber driveshaft, etc. So power hits wheels hard and these tires hold it very well.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #10
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Yes, it is best tire I have ever had on a car. I only drive my GTO in summer and on nice days, never really sees rain.

I have ported LS6 heads, cam, Fast102lsrx, TB, MAF, one piece carbon fiber driveshaft, etc. So power hits wheels hard and these tires hold it very well.

Badass build and good to know! Also how do you like the carbon driveshaft? I exploded a ✌️"1000hp"✌️ aluminum one from a unnamed source the second week I had it. So I had a new full custom one made from a different person. It's aluminum but I can't help but wonder how much nicer the carbon would be but I was afraid of road damage to it by not having an under tray to cover it. I'm currently standard new crate LS3 with an Xair, 102NW throttle body, Kooks long tube headers (with actual 3" flanges welded on the collectors), Kooks 04 3" catted high flow mids, custom 3" Xpipe and full mandrel bent 3" out the back with two pro venom 250 black widow mufflers. And other misc. Bolt on engine stuff but I have yet to open the motor up. Can't wait to go Cam and roller rockers then ported heads or possibly brodix LS3 heads. But that's also why I want to get more tire under there
Old 04-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #11
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
i think you'll just start hitting on the inside once you try fixing it hitting on the outside.

it surprisingly has a decent amount of room under there when I was under the car. I am thinking the biggest hurdle will be if it clears the inner wheelwell because it's close but to move it in board more will definitely need some massaging to the wheel well but if worse comes to worse I will tub it I'm just trying not to. Which is why if I can't get it to clear with the 325/45/17 I may switch to a 305/45/17 which takes an inch or so more in width away to give me a bit more clearance.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacketLS3...View Post
Badass build and good to know! Also how do you like the carbon driveshaft? I exploded a ✌️"1000hp"✌️ aluminum one from a unnamed source the second week I had it. So I had a new full custom one made from a different person. It's aluminum but I can't help but wonder how much nicer the carbon would be but I was afraid of road damage to it by not having an under tray to cover it. I'm currently standard new crate LS3 with an Xair, 102NW throttle body, Kooks long tube headers (with actual 3" flanges welded on the collectors), Kooks 04 3" catted high flow mids, custom 3" Xpipe and full mandrel bent 3" out the back with two pro venom 250 black widow mufflers. And other misc. Bolt on engine stuff but I have yet to open the motor up. Can't wait to go Cam and roller rockers then ported heads or possibly brodix LS3 heads. But that's also why I want to get more tire under there

One piece carbon fiber drive shaft is amazing piece. Way lighter than stock, power to wheels feels immediate with no play or slop. I also did Gforce axles and inner stubs at same time to beef up drivetrain a little.

Mine is DSS from Andy from Kollar Racing.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
it surprisingly has a decent amount of room under there when I was under the car. I am thinking the biggest hurdle will be if it clears the inner wheelwell because it's close but to move it in board more will definitely need some massaging to the wheel well but if worse comes to worse I will tub it I'm just trying not to. Which is why if I can't get it to clear with the 325/45/17 I may switch to a 305/45/17 which takes an inch or so more in width away to give me a bit more clearance.

if you do manage it, calculate the offset and take pics.

i would have thought weld or any other wheel maker would have figured out an offset that would fit by now.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #14
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Quote:

if you do manage it, calculate the offset and take pics.

i would have thought weld or any other wheel maker would have figured out an offset that would fit by now.

I know it possible with a wheel tub kit but I don't know anyone running more than a 275 with essentially stock suspension setup/no purchased parts to change it. I also think they actually have figured it out. However in this case scenario a friend of mine had these wheels on there car and got a new set up so they said I could buy them from them. I am trying to make them fit the GTO but they were not purchased with every being on a GTO originally lol. Either way I want to see if I can fit an actual tire in our cars with minimal modifications so people have other options. I was mostly feeling out if anyone else has done this or similar yet without a coilover/relocation kit and tubs.

Last edited by YellowJacketLS3; 04-05-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Quote:

One piece carbon fiber drive shaft is amazing piece. Way lighter than stock, power to wheels feels immediate with no play or slop. I also did Gforce axles and inner stubs at same time to beef up drivetrain a little.

Mine is DSS from Andy from Kollar Racing.

Andy is the man! I am ordering my suspension bushings from him today! Lol although when I order my struts and springs I may have to change the big bore shocks I was thinking about to normal size to gain that extra clearance. I'm trying to see the absolute maximum on a stock set up/without purchasing relocation parts or tubs so the other members can see what kind of tire they can fit with time, patience and some do it yourself work. (hopefully)

Although I may have to tub and relocate with coilovers in the end haha it's just a situation where I ended up with wheels so why not try. If I was custom ordering it'd be easier because I could determine the perfect offset and width from the get go but those were not the cards I was dealt.

Also it would be way easier if it were a 10" rim width but I am pretty certain it's an 11". The tire specs are as follows.

Current tire specs:

M&H drag radial:
-Tread Width: 11.3"
-Section Width: 12.6"
-Diameter: 28.0"
-Rim Size: 11.0"

Secondary tire specs:
(to gain a bit of clearance)

Mickey Thompson drag radial:
-Tread Width: 10.50"
-Section Width: 11.7"
-Diameter: 28.1"
-Rim Size: 9.5"-11.5"
Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM   #16
Raymond

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
I know it possible with a wheel tub kit but I don't know anyone running more than a 275 with essentially stock suspension setup/no purchased parts to change it. I also think they actually have figured it out. However in this case scenario a friend of mine had these wheels on there car and got a new set up so they said I could buy them from them. I am trying to make them fit the GTO but they were not purchased with every being on a GTO originally lol. Either way I want to see if I can fit an actual tire in our cars with minimal modifications so people have other options. I was mostly feeling out if anyone else has done this or similar yet without a coilover/relocation kit and tubs.

I could fit 295 30 19s on 19x10s tucked and lowered on a stock suspension with no rubbing under hard acceleration. It is all about the right offset. Then I went mini tub and can run up to 345 30 19s with 19x12s tucked and lowered.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #17
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond...View Post
Quote:

I could fit 295 30 19s on 19x10s tucked and lowered on a stock suspension with no rubbing under hard acceleration. It is all about the right offset. Then I went mini tub and can run up to 345 30 19s with 19x12s tucked and lowered.

badass! I know for a fact I'm not lucky enough for these to be the right offset but I am probably going to do some massaging to make them fit haha
Old 04-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #18
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Well..... The wheels don't fit haha. They clear on the inside (somehow) but they stick out just a tad too much and I think if it were a 10" wide rim I could just get a slightly narrower tire but because it's an 11" wide I feel like I will have the same issue.

I massaged the quarters out as far as I could without buckling the panels and flattened the lip but I'd need at least another 1" or 1.5" to have them comfortably tuck under the arch. However they do look mean. An if it weren't my daily driver and I could afford yet another project they would fit with some body work and stretching to the quarter panels. However I'm looking for the biggest tire I could fit with stock-ish suspension.
Anyway if I do anymore or actually make them work I will be sure to send photos!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190412_171411_1555104014043.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	492211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_171452_1555104028638.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	492213   Click image for larger version

Name:	15551040467913062839407511960859_1555104142153.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	492215  
Old 04-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #19
k9frog

2004 GTO Owner

Im running 275-40-17s cooper rs3-s on stock rims and they fit perfect, Yes there is a very minor roll of the sidewall,Not enough to be concerned with, They fit completely under the fender with no rolling of the lip.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #20
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Well..... The wheels don't fit haha. They clear on the inside (somehow) but they stick out just a tad too much and I think if it were a 10" wide rim I could just get a slightly narrower tire but because it's an 11" wide I feel like I will have the same issue.

I massaged the quarters out as far as I could without buckling the panels and flattened the lip but I'd need at least another 1" or 1.5" to have them comfortably tuck under the arch. However they do look mean. An if it weren't my daily driver and I could afford yet another project they would fit with some body work and stretching to the quarter panels. However I'm looking for the biggest tire I could fit with stock-ish suspension.
Anyway if I do anymore or actually make them work I will be sure to send photos!

That almost looks like you could find a way to do a slight fender flare and have them work...
Old 04-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

There have also been guys that, while not doing a full mini tub, have done some work on the inside of the well to move it inwards a bit.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #22
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9frog...View Post
Im running 275-40-17s cooper rs3-s on stock rims and they fit perfect, Yes there is a very minor roll of the sidewall,Not enough to be concerned with, They fit completely under the fender with no rolling of the lip.

I have 275/40/17s as well as a daily wheel and it works but I got these from a friend and figured why not try haha
Old 04-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #23
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Quote:

That almost looks like you could find a way to do a slight fender flare and have them work...

I thought about it but to be honest I'm not a big "fender flares" person on our cars so if anything I'd have to actually stretch the quarters out/semi wide body the back of the car, so yes I could get it to work but in the end I'd rather get the correct wheel and tire than do that.... (Unless someone knew of RA6 quarters sitting around lol
Old 04-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #24
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
There have also been guys that, while not doing a full mini tub, have done some work on the inside of the well to move it inwards a bit.

I would massage the inside of the wheel wells to be extra safe, I hate tire rub. Although unless I'm feeling frisky and want to really stretch out the quarters to tuck these in there I am just going to look for/get the correct size rim/tire.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #25
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
I would massage the inside of the wheel wells to be extra safe, I hate tire rub. Although unless I'm feeling frisky and want to really stretch out the quarters to tuck these in there I am just going to look for/get the correct size rim/tire.

i have to find the post, from a few years back. they made it look very factory, but did cut the wells. they moved them in a little bit.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #26
Raymond

2004 GTO Owner

Name:	20161211_233345.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	492279

You can only hammer in the inner fenderwell so much. The lower control arm will get in the way first. Here is picture of my lower control arm notched out, inner fenderwell moved in 2 inches and spring perch upper and lower moved in 1.25 inches plus relocate upper and lower shock mount. Then you can run wide wheels and tires tucked and lowered.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #27
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

this might be it.

https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19061289

he sectioned out the stock wheel arches and moved them inward. basically a minitub without using a set of minitubs. the end result was very nice.

anyhow, quite a few people people just use GForce1320 rear coilovers as well, and their rear control arms. i really wouldn't want to mess with moving the shock, or using extensions. you would need to take care the shock mounting angle is correct.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #28
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond...View Post
Attachment 492279

You can only hammer in the inner fenderwell so much. The lower control arm will get in the way first. Here is picture of my lower control arm notched out, inner fenderwell moved in 2 inches and spring perch upper and lower moved in 1.25 inches plus relocate upper and lower shock mount. Then you can run wide wheels and tires tucked and lowered.

My point exactly, and even though they don't hit anything on the inside. I just don't feel like cutting and stretching my quarters on the outside to make them (these wheels specificly) work. Especially knowing I could just purchase the correct size rim with the correct offset and the right tire so I don't have to cut it up. I have no problem modifying it or tubbing the car. I was just performing an experiment because a friend gave me wheels from her car when she went 15's (she doesn't own a GTO) I would rather get the right rim and tire than do the work to make these fit, if that makes sense.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #29
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
this might be it.

https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19061289

he sectioned out the stock wheel arches and moved them inward. basically a minitub without using a set of minitubs. the end result was very nice.

anyhow, quite a few people people just use GForce1320 rear coilovers as well, and their rear control arms. i really wouldn't want to mess with moving the shock, or using extensions. you would need to take care the shock mounting angle is correct.

This makes me actually want to tub my car. He did a very nice oem appearing job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: